Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Display light question

Almost continually the black water display reads 2/3 full. I use the clean out that's supposed to squirt fresh water into the tank; fill about full (look down the stool) and let it all out. It will be okay for a little while. Then back to 2/3 full.

I suspect that toilet paper from the stool slides over the contacts. It this an Airstream "tragic flaw" or what?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

My black water indicator light has never worked properly. Mine shows full most of the time. Sometimes it shows empty right after I empty the tank. I have tried several methods to remedy this problem and have been unsuccessful.

I was recently at an Airstream dealership looking at a used 2000 25 foot excella and the black water indicator light said 3/4 full. I asked the salesman why because I assumed the tank was empty at the dealership. He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "does your indicator light work properly?" Of course, I had to say no! He went on to tell me that since Airstream went to this current "system" that the tank indicator lights do not work properly.

I just live with the problem, and know from years of experience that our family of 4 can go at least 7 or 8 days without emptying the black water tank if we need to.

Clark
csimingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Maybe I'm lucky

That's one thing on my trailer that has worked well from day one.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 04:01 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've never owned a trailer where the black water indicator worked correctly. Once I start using the tank, paper and other waste tend to foul the sensors. Personally I could care less since the old eyeball looking through the open toilet valve as its flushing is the most accurate way to know how your tank is doing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I hate to say this but my 30+ year old sensor works fine, on both black and fresh tanks.

They do have a new sensor that is non intrusive into the tank, that I saw on the factory tour. Not sure if it is infrared or what. It was a sensor that was stuck on the side of the tank with adhesive.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 06:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Here's a tip I picked up somewhere that cleaned my black tank well enough to get my sensor working again.

After you dump the black tank, fill the tank 1/2 to 2/3 full with clean water, add a squirt of dish soap and then add a 10 pound bag of ice cubes thru the toilet and hit the road.

As you drive, the ice cubes will float on top of the water and slosh around, knocking the little bits and pieces of trash off the sides of the tanks and sensors. After your next dump, the tank should be nice and clean and hopefully the sensors will work again.

Worked on both my Airstreams - neither worked when I bought them and this little trick brought the sensors back to life.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
They do have a new sensor that is non intrusive into the tank, that I saw on the factory tour. Not sure if it is infrared or what. It was a sensor that was stuck on the side of the tank with adhesive.
I have that new sensor and it has worked very well. I think it is capacitive, There are a row of sensors stuck on the outside of the tank and the display goes by percentages of tank depth.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote