Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #21

1981 31' International
2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Lubbock , Texas
Diesel in winter

One of my fellow Texans (a repentant North Dakotan) once described summer diesel as winter gel at about minus 10F. He would not take his Texas diesel vehicles north to see his family without planning for a top off to change the mix every couple of hundred miles in the winter.

I don't know about low sulfur since I hope not to be in those temps in the winter.
plainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Twice now, I have had a response written and fate has erased it... This time I’ll fool ‘em by using a word processor!

As long as trailers red & TVs clear diesel have separate tanks with no interconnection it’s good to go. When they dip the tanks, the glass sample holder is rigged to provide perfect clarity to any dye present, they hold a brilliant white card behind it with a color chart of dilutions parallel to the glass sample and it’s so easy a caveman could detect tax dodgers.

On using generator-battery-inverter-appliances, to save batteries from over-discharge damage it is worthy otherwise we are so spoiled by cheap public utility electricity it’s a shock to see what the true costs are.

Generator size has everything to do with efficiency – my propane powered DC-only backup generators at 3000w are horrible compared to even 4000w models.

Honda Eu2000 (1600w) yields 16.5% efficiency. (4.25 hrs with 1500W light is 6375w/h or 21770 btu work on 1.1 gallons (131800btu))
Honda Eu3000 (2600w) yields 16.9% efficiency.
Kipor quiet KDE5000 (4500w) diesel 38250 watt hours or 130600 BTU work on 4.23 gallons (598000 BTU) makes it 21.8% efficient.... and 375 pounds light.

If you want an electric kitchen, for a range cooking surface an inductive heating model uses the least electricity – single burner style go on sale for $45-55 , I could see building two in and counting them as disposable if/when they have problems. Microwaves are efficient through their short run times – an inverter model that fires a percentage of power per given unit of time vs. the older style 100% on for a fractions of given time would insert less stress on an RE model system.

Batteries consume 12-16% of energy looped through via heat and irreversible chemical changes... Inverters can be 92+% efficient but often might be 80 or 85% with low loads; wiring losses at 3% on primary DC and 5% on AC legs are serious with even a fuse being a resistance loss as well as every connection and switch possibly inserting losses... so that Honda Eu2000’s 16.5% efficiency can drop by a third to 10.7%.

Where little generators may excel is running air conditioning – through the Freon phase change 1 kW of electricity will produce 3 kW or better of cooling work, so the little Honda can be up around 30-40% thermal efficiency..
Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Haha.. yeah but would they know to check the AS for diesel?
Airstream diesel would be ok for a generator, it just can't be burned in a TV
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote