Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Connecting gas range

I've scored my new Seaward range and am going to install it this weekend. I can do flexible copper with a flared fitting as the old range was, but I'm wondering if there is some kind flexible gas appliance hose that is okay to use in an RV- it would make the install a little simpler. Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
I am sure that you could use one of those yellow flex gas lines but the issue, as I understand it, is that you want all connections to be outside of the trailer. In case there is a leak, it will dissipate on the exterior as opposed to filling the trailer.

Anyone else?
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Isn't the last connection made right at the stove? That would shoot a hole in your hypothesis, as good as it was.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
That would shoot a hole in your hypothesis, as good as it was.
Not really. If you trace all of the propane lines, you'll probably find that there are no joints inside the Airstream; every "T" or joint is outside. The only connection inside is right at the appliance, and from the appliance to the floor penetration is all one piece of tubing.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The flexible yellow gas lines are not made for the vibration of a trailer and are not approved or legal in them. They are for occasional movement of an appliance in a home situation.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
How do they account for the movement in the propane line on boats when the range is in a gimballed setup? I believe that they use a flexible hose.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
How do they account for the movement in the propane line on boats when the range is in a gimballed setup? I believe that they use a flexible hose.
American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) standards are not quite the same as Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) standards.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Yup, it is LP rated hose not hard pipe.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Isn't the last connection made right at the stove? That would shoot a hole in your hypothesis, as good as it was.
My point was simply to minimize any connections inside of the trailer. Of course there will be a connection at the appliance. Just make sure it is damn good... And have an LP gas alarm.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
After I posted this, I looked online and found that the only way was to use copper and flare fittings.. the only way that I could find. So, that's what I did, got to use my flare-maker, tested the heck out of it. There are three connections, two at the valve and one at the range. Now I'm wondering if I should have put the valve under the coach and just had a straight shot to the range?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Where did you put the valve? Inside the living space? That is a no no. All valves should be under the trailer on the exterior. From what I understand, it is just a safety issue.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Ah, okay. In residences, we have to put the shut off near the range, and I did that with this, accessible under the sink. The previous setup had the same connections, a reducer from half to 3/8" and then into the range, but the old range had the valve under the cooktop.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Ah, okay. In residences, we have to put the shut off near the range, and I did that with this, accessible under the sink. The previous setup had the same connections, a reducer from half to 3/8" and then into the range, but the old range had the valve under the cooktop.
The shutoff is at the propane tanks. Why add another? Years ago I added a water heater to my tent trailer. I "T-eed" off of the existing propane line under the trailer and ran a flexible copper tube to the heater. I used flair fitting everywhere and the old flaring tool that my grandfather left me worked like a champ. I found that "flexible" copper isn't really all that flexible. You have to be very careful with this stuff. You can only bend it so many times.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
I added a valve under the trailer to each appliance so that I can troubleshoot any future leaks by just running gas to each appliance seperately.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Peter, you could always splice in another shutoff in the line outside the trailer so that you don't undo all the work that you've already done. I believe that both my range and furnace ran off the same propane line which had a shutoff on the outside of the trailer, however, the furnace had a shutoff at the appliance as well. This made sense to me, because the furnace could be shut off during the warmer months without interrupting the flow of propane to the range.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The trailer has a valve at each appliance- most are under the trailer, they are the originals. The fridge has one accessible inside the access door. The old range had one built in, under the cook top. I talked to a tech guy at Seward and they said to put it at the range, not underneath. I understand not wanting to have fittings buried inside the trailer. I would never install a fixture, plumbing or gas, without a shutoff.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hey Cameron, I thought the issue was having additional fittings inside the trailer that could jiggle apart over time or something. I'd kind of rather avoid having another valve under the coach because it's vulnerable to moisture. I could splice in another valve, true, maybe I should? I actually have an extra...