Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Carbon Monoxide Detector

Can anyone tell me the best detector to use in our camper? With most of our appliances running off of propane, it is scary to go to sleep and worry about leaks. Also, where is the best place to mount one? Thanks for any help you can give us!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
I bought, but haven't installed yet, a combination CO & propane detector. (Not sure if that link is actually where I bought it from, but that's the model, I think.) Installation instructions are at the manufacturer's site here. I think they go at floor level in the kitchen.

I have a smoke alarm, although it takes a 9V battery; I'd rather have one that used 12V hardwired or both 12V and a battery backup, but I couldn't find one.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Detectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Threads
Can anyone tell me the best detector to use in our camper? With most of our appliances running off of propane, it is scary to go to sleep and worry about leaks. Also, where is the best place to mount one? Thanks for any help you can give us!
Hi Silver Threads; It is best to have a dual function. Best we found is Safe-T-Alert from Marine Technologies Inc. This unit, in addition to monitoring LPG and Carbon monoxide will also detect Methane gases. It can operate solenoid type shut of valve for LPG and the generator shut down feature will shut down your generator should exhaust gases enter your trailer. The last feature can be life saver when operating the generator outside while windows are open. Price $ 115.95 Good luck, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
LP is heavier than air and the detector should be mounted near the floor. Heat from combustion (furnace or stove) causes carbon monoxide (CO) to rise and those detectors should be mounted near the ceiling just like a smoke detector. I purchased a CO detector from Home Depot and then found out the internal workings can fail from vibrations, so need more beefing up if used in an RV. There are a couple varieties of CO detectors claiming to be sturdier at Camping world -- here and here.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I bought the battery powered Atwood. I haven't mounted it, I keep it on a counter for now for overnight use. If vibration is an issue, like the factory installed smoke detector, remove it and place it in a less jarring place.

That's what I currently do with our CO detector when in transit or not in use. I haven't gotten the couraged to drill into anyplace in the Airstream....that's why I don't have it mounted yet.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Canoe Strream- I totaly agree with your comments. I believe that their is a correct tool for every job. I really like the Safe T AlertTM Propane Detector that camping world has. It is a very good unit for a very fair price. As you so noted gas sinks CO2 rises along with smoke. Installing an LP detector down close to the floor closest to the major appliance that run on propane, heater, stove is the rule of thumb. We have our smoke detector mounted on the ceiling over the bed and the CO2 detector on the upper wall. We love to start our season early and camp right into Thanksgiving so being proprly protected in a sealed AS is a good thing.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
twink,

try double sided tape or velcro. just remeber it isn't yours until you either drill holes in it or dent it!

i have 2 detectors one 120v one powered by a 9v battery. they are mounted about waist high. smoke detector in on the cieling, lp detector on the floor.

john
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you get the Safe-T Alert flush mount model, I don't think you are allowed to mount it in an outside wall. I had already run that wire.

I don't know why. They operate down to -31F.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I have, probably a lame question, but I am planning to hard wire my CO detector (and LP when I get it)- because there isn't an on/off will it be draining the battery while parked at home?
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
I have, probably a lame question, but I am planning to hard wire my CO detector (and LP when I get it)- because there isn't an on/off will it be draining the battery while parked at home?
I believe the propane detector is the most commonly blamed parasitic load that causes battery discharge.

I think the load is only 45 -60 ma, but multiply that by several weeks and you have a dead battery.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
So, when you get home from a trip, do you disconnect the detectors, or the battery, or...?

Signed, Lost in the land of too much information...
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
so can you get a good one that uses just batteries? I guess what you have to do it, unhook it while you travel, then unhook it when you are not using the camper, seems like a lot of trouble. Surely they make one just for campers that won't run your battery down and can take the shaking?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We use a house type First Alert. It is a combo smoke and CO detector that is battery powered. It comes off the wall mound with a twist and a pull. It takes a few seconds to store and it works great. One nice feature is the test button. When it tests it will tell you the highest level of CO that it has read in PPM since last powered on.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Found this one at Camping world.
Safe T AlertTM Carbon Monoxide Detector alerts you to dangerous CO buildup and stores gas level in memory. Vibration resistant microprocessor technology designed especially for RVs offers reliable protection while moving or parked, with no false alarms. 85 dB audio alarm and LED visual indicator quickly alert you to potential danger. Easy access test/reset buttons. Advanced 60 milliamp circuitry conserves battery power. Long life, maintenance free sensor for reliability. White plastic case. 12V. UL and CUL listed. USA.

AZflycaster, do you have it mounted low or high?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It is mounted about 5 feet from the floor. High is good for smoke because it rises. CO is almost the same weight at air so location can vary for that function. Our trailer has a mid double bed and the unit is mounted on the bed side of the wall just past the kitchen area.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I bought the LP & CO detector from camping world and am now ready to hardwire. I had asked the RV place to splice in wiring for this, but ended up with only one red wire. I have white 18 awg 600v type TFFN or MTW wire around the house... would this work for the neg. splice?

Also, can I splice in the LP detector to the 12v that feeds the furnace? This way I can mount it near the floor in the galley area.

Thanks, as always!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Combination LP and CO? That is a bad design.

LP Sinks, CO rises. LP detector needs to be mounted low and CO needs to be mounted high. Mount it to correctly detect one it will not do a proper job of the other. One or the other will kill you before you know it.

My LP detector is mounted by the Refer and stove about 6" from the floor.
My CO detector is mounted in the Bedroom about 4" from the ceiling.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
My detectors are not a combo. I have one of each and plan to mount them as cats has indicated. I am wondering if the splicing and wire I have will be ok.
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The way it was posted I thought it was a combo unit.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi Silver Threads; It is best to have a dual function. Best we found is Safe-T-Alert from Marine Technologies Inc. This unit, in addition to monitoring LPG and Carbon monoxide will also detect Methane gases. It can operate solenoid type shut of valve for LPG and the generator shut down feature will shut down your generator should exhaust gases enter your trailer. The last feature can be life saver when operating the generator outside while windows are open. Price $ 115.95 Good luck, "Boatdoc"
I have this unit on my boat and it works great and reliable. Just went thru a hard beaching on a parking lot due to Katrina, I tested it last week and it works perfect.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote