Originally Posted by thecatsandi
LP Sinks, CO rises.
LP certainly does sink, but from what I can discern from reputable sources like the CPSC
, CO mixes with air in the room and so a CO detector can be mounted at any height. What's more important is that it can be heard, is close to the sleeping area, and can't be blocked by furniture or drapes. So a combination LP/CO detector mounted at floor level should work well.
This is from the CPSC site:
CO alarms should be installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. CPSC recommends that one CO alarm be installed in the hallway outside the bedrooms in each separate sleeping area of the home. CO alarms may be installed into a plug-in receptacle or high on the wall because CO from any source will be well-mixed with the air in the house. Make sure furniture or draperies cannot cover up the alarm.
The one I have is 12V
hard-wired, which eliminates the possibility of letting the internal battery go dead - which is more of a risk in an RV where you might not be in there for months at a time to hear the low-battery beeps. Of course, you need 12V
power for it to work, but you're more likely to notice a lack of 12V
power in the trailer than a dead 9V battery in the detector.