Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Can not find Propane leak

I have a propane leak somewhere that I can not find.
It takes about a week of sitting to notice the stink, if I turn of the gas at the tanks the smell goes away in a few weeks.
My propane detector does not go off either, I did test it.
I have tried the soap bubble stuff with no luck.
Is there a Dye I can use or some other method to find a slow leak.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I had a propane leak in my renovated Safari last spring that I could not find. It was just like yours. I sprayed every connection and could not find any bubbles. I finally when back over all the connections with the spray bottle but this time used warm soapy water. I also watched each connection for a very long time and finally found the leak. It was the connection to my fridge. Hard to see but sure enough after some wrench work the leak was fixed. Hope my experience helps.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Bruce,

Try narrowing down the problem area by shutting any shutoff valves you have for the appliances. Then open the tanks again and see if you still have the smell. You may need to wait several days to be sure based on your description of the problem.

If no smell, then open the shutoff valves, one at a time, and again check for the smell. You may find that one of the appliances themselves is the source of the leak. The stove would be the first appliance I would check, as we had a leaky stove once. It was leaking about 2 inches before the connection to the stove. The pipe has been rubbing on the cabinet frame, and it finally wore through

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
It might be as simple as the pilot light on the stove top not being turned off. That happened to me. Simple fix.....turn it off.
Loren
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Old almost empty tanks also will smell on use with a residual lingering odor. Another way of testing for leaks would be to install a pressure gauge, close the tank valve and see if it goes down.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I know I'll get it for this but a gas installer showed me a very simple way to check for leaks, use a lighter. If there is a leak it will burn with a small flame. I used the soap spray test on my fridge connection, no leaks, then I tried a lighter and found a small leak at the fitting. Don't use it if you smell a strong leak, but it will find the small leaks. O.K. I'm ducking now.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I suggest a shell off restoration. . . .
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkroff View Post
I suggest a shell off restoration. . . .
Yea lighting the gas will do that to
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

The old propane and lighter trick!

I've seen pieces of dirt the size of pepper cause a valve not to seal all the way. The only way it could be found was Shacksman's way.

Just make sure you air out the unit before testing.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I know I'll get it for this but a gas installer showed me a very simple way to check for leaks, use a lighter. If there is a leak it will burn with a small flame. I used the soap spray test on my fridge connection, no leaks, then I tried a lighter and found a small leak at the fitting. Don't use it if you smell a strong leak, but it will find the small leaks. O.K. I'm ducking now.
If there is only one leak, this will work. If there is a second leak the flame will flash back (like when you turn off a torch). This could be dangerous. I am very surprised a gas installer with any sense would recommend a match.

An electronic leak detector used by repair technicians are very sensitive.
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
Snoop leak detector liquid is very effective on threaded joints and tubing connections. Works better than soapy water. It has a long dispensing tube that can be pulled from or pushed into the bottle.

Google for sources.

Jim
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
I had the exact same issue with my 76 Tradewind. Turned out that the pilot lite for the oven was not lit. There is setting on the oven dial that I did not notice that turns the pilot lite off. You might check that out.
Jfuller678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
I am in Need!! I had my 87 MOHO propane filled a few days ago when it was 30 ish deg weather. Yesterday it was leaking out of pressure relief valve it was 60's. I figures it would stop soon day 2 and now a real strong smell and is still leaking. I turned off valve to close the propane valve but still leaks. I have not had any problems prior to filling it it had propane in it I just wanted to top it off. All the emergency rv service I called in town are out of business. My good Sams does not start for a few more days. Any recommedations ?? I do not want to start the coach.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The solenoid gas valve in my furnace was dribbling gas -- not enough to set off the propane detector but stinky. Once I had it isolated with the shut off valves, it was an easy fix.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
I am in Need!! I had my 87 MOHO propane filled a few days ago when it was 30 ish deg weather. Yesterday it was leaking out of pressure relief valve it was 60's. I figures it would stop soon day 2 and now a real strong smell and is still leaking. I turned off valve to close the propane valve but still leaks. I have not had any problems prior to filling it it had propane in it I just wanted to top it off. All the emergency rv service I called in town are out of business. My good Sams does not start for a few more days. Any recommedations ?? I do not want to start the coach.
They overfilled it, it should stop when level is right, hope for cold weather or bleed off enough to let the valve close. When they did it to mine, they said it would stop and it did.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL

They overfilled it, it should stop when level is right, hope for cold weather or bleed off enough to let the valve close. When they did it to mine, they said it would stop and it did.
Day 3. It stopped!! Man what if I went camping and had a Bonfire?? Wow! Thank you.