RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2dive View Post
We have been full time for almost 2 years and find that using 1-tank until empty and switching tanks and getting empty filled works well, we were not using the furnace to often and primarily electric sites with 10 day boondocking occasionaly. So when the propane supply shut off we would close valve and open other valve, replacing empty tank that week or so and repeating the process as needed.

Same here, I guess I just wanted to get fancy.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:45 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I recently exchanged emails with Mopeka regarding functionality with aluminum and composite tanks.

Bottom line: it will work with aluminum tanks but youíll have to figure out how to attach it. It will NOT work with composite tanks.

Matt
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post
I recently exchanged emails with Mopeka regarding functionality with aluminum and composite tanks.

Bottom line: it will work with aluminum tanks but youíll have to figure out how to attach it. It will NOT work with composite tanks.

Matt

Same here, and I also spoke by phone with a guy named Chris who may also be the same Chris who answered my emails although he made no mention of it. In my case he did think it would work with composite tanks as well as aluminum, but establishing and maintaining a good surface contact was the problem with the non ferrous tanks, and according to Chris, Mopeka has no accessory at this point to make that possible.

Based on your conversation they seem to have changed their stance on composite tanks. At any rate, it's kind of a mute point without a way to maintain a decent and consistent contact. Using this gadget to read my tanks via my smart phone was a nice thing to think about, but not important enough for me to give up my aluminum tanks.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
Mopeka monitor problem

Based on the comments on this thread, we ordered the Mopeka tank monitor and the base accessory. When we installed it on one tank, it read 23% full. As soon as we put the metal cover over the tanks, it read 77% full. When I call Mopeka support, they said yes, that tank cover would disrupt the Bluetooth connection and screw up the reading. If thatís really the case, Iím wondering why others donít seem to experience this?
Bkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #25
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeller View Post
Based on the comments on this thread, we ordered the Mopeka tank monitor and the base accessory. When we installed it on one tank, it read 23% full. As soon as we put the metal cover over the tanks, it read 77% full. When I call Mopeka support, they said yes, that tank cover would disrupt the Bluetooth connection and screw up the reading. If thatís really the case, Iím wondering why others donít seem to experience this?
See my earlier test - do not seem very accurate to me.

Glenn
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
We have them on two trailer and I really canít recommend others buy them. When they work they work fine but you canít really trust them. Then they go through a period where both of them work only on the phone Bluetooth App and not the display. The key to longevity is to apply a dab of dielectric grease to the sensor Every Time you take them off to fill the tanks. Change the battery yearly and check expect to get 2 years from them before the sensors fail completely.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Someone recently here installed these and based on that comment which I can’t find I decided to give the. A shot as well given every time a tank went empty was at 3am when it was 30 degrees. Brr...

Anyway ordered 2 and installed them on standard tanks. Interface was simple and they quickly told me one tank was down to 3% and the other was full. ��. Filled the empty one and I can now easily check before a cold night.

I’ll see how they perform over time but initial impression is ��

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote