Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Just needing to know that once I turn off the gas and remove the lines from the tank I can just start unscrewing the lines?What do I need to do to take it off the right away so I dont make a flame thrower out of one of those little hoses and take my eyebrows off?
I have a leak in my regulator and I want to fix it tomorrow if possible.Thanks everyone.
Just to be safe, after shutting off the LP at both bottles, I light a stove burner and let it burn all of the gas from the lines before disconnecting any lines downstream of the regulator. If not, you will allow all gas in the lines to escape where ever you make the disconnect. If a flame or spark is present, I am guessing that you might create that flame thrower you worry about.

If you disconnect both LP bottles, the excess gas might escape out of the fitting at whichever gas bottle the automatic changeover regualtor is pointing to, so then disconnecting any line after the regulator might be safe, but why take a chance. I use this procedure:

1. Turn off the LP at both bottles.
2. Light a stove burner to use up all gas in the lines.
3. When the stove burner goes out, disconnect the LP bottles.
4. Start working on other parts of the LP system.

Mind you, I am not a mechanic, so take my advice as only the opinion of a safety conscious Airstreamer. Use good sense and if you don't feel comfortable doing something, take it to a professional. Good Luck.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #42
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Thanks

Thanks everyone.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Devoman, just one small point to add to the good advice above. If you use a stove burner to use up the gas in the lines, you must remember to switch off the gas tap at the stove after the flame is extinguished. My wife lost half her eyelashes and eyebrows one day in our sailing yacht when an explosion occurred through just this cause. We thought it was extra safe to shut the gas off at the bottles after each use. When she turned the bottle back on, gas immediately poured out at the stove. When she lit a match the explosion occurred. Just a thought.
Nick.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Good Point Nick!

Never assume the obvious. Here is the revised procedure:

1. Turn off the LP at both bottles.
2. Light a stove burner to use up all gas in the lines.
3. When the stove burner goes out, turn it back off.
4. Disconnect the LP bottles.
5. Start working on other parts of the LP system.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Lake Lure , North Carolina
I've got a Fisher R966 mfg 1/95. Does anyone know where I can send it to have it refurbished? Thank you. Wally
wallygilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgilbert40
I've got a Fisher R966 mfg 1/95. Does anyone know where I can send it to have it refurbished? Thank you. Wally
BUY A NEW ONE!!! For the price and the safety factors, it's the only way to go!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Lake Lure , North Carolina
OK, My current R966 has a footprint( 2 fasteners) that mount on a bracket which slides down a vertical shaft. I believe I want to replicate that footprint so as not to have to re-invent a mounting device. What would I buy to replicate that footprint and where would I buy it? Thank you, Wally Gilbert
wallygilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
No one repairs LPG regulators, not even Fisher.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
OK, My current R966 has a footprint( 2 fasteners) that mount on a bracket which slides down a vertical shaft. I believe I want to replicate that footprint so as not to have to re-invent a mounting device. What would I buy to replicate that footprint and where would I buy it? Thank you, Wally Gilbert
Wally,

There are several good regulators on the market (I personally prefer the Cavagna brand) that can be had with a matching mounting bracket that screws right to the regulator and will fit your threaded rod too.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Meridian , Idaho
Awesome job Joe

Just had my hose crap out. Leek from both sides, no matter where the reg nob is turned. Think I have a problem?! Thanks for your post. I will come in handy in the next two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
For this replacement procedure the parts I used and prices I paid were as follows (not including tax):
- One Marshall 254 Automatic Changeover Regulator: $39.95
- One Plastic Regulator Cover: $0.00 (reused the existing one I had, you may need to purchase one depending upon which regulator your trailer currently has)
- One Stamped Steel Regulator Bracket: $4.95
- Two Regulator Mounting Screws: $0.00 (reused existing ones)
- Two 12" High Pressure Hoses with Green Acme Nuts: $13.95 ea. (x2)
- One 30" Low Pressure Hose: $9.95 (the length your trailer may requires could be different)
- One Tube LP Compatible Teflon Joint Paste: $2.19
- One 5/8" x 1/2" Flare Union: $2.49
- Soapy Water: $0.00 (home made - you may chose to substitute a LP gas detector if you have one)

Total Cost: $87.43 (plus tax)

The procedure I used was simple:
1. Dissasemble the existing regulator and hoses and discard.
2. Use a Rat Tail File to enlarge round mounting holes on the Regulator Mounting Bracket so that it will slide onto the LP Tank Hold Down Rod (You may or may not need to do this).
3. Cut/File Off Corners of New Regulator Bracket to provide clearance to LP Tanks when mounted (you may or may not need to do this).
4. Mount Regulator to Bracket using screws.
5. Attach Low Pressure Hose to Regulator using using Teflon Paste to seal the 1/2" NPT (National Pipe Thread) joint.
6. Snap the Plastic Regulator Cover over the 2nd Stage of the Regulator (this cover is required by law).
7. Attach the High Pressure Hoses to the Regulator (these are 1/4" Inverted Flares and do not require Teflon Paste).
8. Slide the Regulator Backet onto the LP Tank Hold Down Rod making sure the upper leg of the bracket is above the LP Tank Hold Down "Tee" and the lower leg is below it.
9. Replace the existing 5/8" x 5/8" Flare Union with the new 5/8" x 1/2" Flare Union where the Low Pressure Hose connects to the copper LP pipe below the trailer tongue (Teflon Paste is not needed because these a flare joints, you may or may not have to do this step depending upon what Union the trailer already has).
10. Connect the Low Pressure Hose to the Flare Union (again no Teflon Paste is required).
11. Connect the High Pressure Hoses to the LP Tanks by twisting on the Green Acme Nuts.
12. Cover all joints with Soapy Water and turn on LP to see if there are any leaks (if you have access to an LP gas detector, use it instead of soapy water to check for leaks).
13. Tighten leaking joints, if any and re-check for leaks (repeat as necessary).
14. Turn on and light LP appliances (simultaneously) to verify adequate LP preasure and flow rate to operate them at the same time.
15. Install LP Tank Cover (if applicable)
16. Install LP Tank Hold Down Handle and tighted to secure tanks and regulator Bracket in place.
17. Put tools away, you are done!

Let me caution you that I am not a mechanic, so if you question anything I have noted here, please investigate and select a course of action that you are comfortable with. I hope I haven't forgotten any steps, but even if I did, you get the general idea of what this replacement project entails. The one step I did omit was that at many places during this procedure I test fit the components to make sure everything fit and the hose lengths were correct, etc.

And note that depending upon your year and model of trailer, the existing regulator, mounting position, and general setup may differ slightly, but the general procedure and parts list should be similar to what I have noted. Check your trailer to be sure - do not rely on my parts list to be exact for your application.

Below I have provided a few before photos, a photo of the original flare Union I had to replace, photos of the new Regulator Bracket before and after modification, and a few after photos. I am missing an "after" photo showing the new Low Pressure Hose and Flare Union installed.

Good Luck to anyone that chooses to tackle this project themself.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Bill,
Sorry for the late reply - I am just back home after an extended trip. I hope you were able to replace your regulator successfully. Helping others is why I posted my experience - no need for us all to have the do all the same research.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768