Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Amazon Propane tanks

Is there any reason I shouldn't be considering this option for my AS?

I'm really new to this, just got a 64 Overlander, and let the rusted out old tanks with the PO.

Amazon.com: Worthington 297297 33-Pound Aluminum Forklift Propane Cylinder With Gauge And Fill Valve: Patio, Lawn & Garden
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I may be wrong, but I believe these tanks have to be horizontal. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
From Vintage Trailer Supply:

30 Lb. (7.1 Gallon) Vertical Aluminum LP Tank

Or watch for a set of used ones.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Forklift cylinders are set up for liquid withdrawal and will not work properly for trailer use. The 1 1/4" acme valve threads won't fit the 1 5/16" on the regulator on your trailer, by design.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Forklift cylinders are set up for liquid withdrawal and will not work properly for trailer use. The 1 1/4" acme valve threads won't fit the 1 5/16" on the regulator on your trailer, by design.
That's what I was looking for. I don't know who owns Vintage trailer supply, but by the time I'm done accumulating the order, I expect his kids to send me a thank you note when they finish college.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
That's what I was looking for. I don't know who owns Vintage trailer supply, but by the time I'm done accumulating the order, I expect his kids to send me a thank you note when they finish college.
Not sure why you say this. The forklift tank on amazon was listed at 149.95 and the proper tank on VTS is $157.00. All alum. tanks are expensive. You could go with much cheaper steel tanks and cover them.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Most Fork lift tank come with two ports. One for liquid and the other for vapor. If it has both ports, just remove the liquid valve and plug it. Install a Vapor valve, the new tri handle, and now you have a tank that can be used vertically.
Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Not sure why you say this. The forklift tank on amazon was listed at 149.95 and the proper tank on VTS is $157.00. All alum. tanks are expensive. You could go with much cheaper steel tanks and cover them.
I'm not begrudging VTS. Love those guys and they provide a great service. I just wanted to save money where I can. Amazon is not charging me shipping on top of a slightly cheaper price. I wanted someone to tell me why VTS was the right way to go. I'd rather go with the right solution, and I wanted aluminum tanks.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Or, there's a 40-pounder. Keeps you away from the popane dealer longer!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
The forklift tank has a gauge which is a $70 option at VTS. It would be great to know if they did work.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
The forklift tank has a gauge which is a $70 option at VTS. It would be great to know if they did work.
That was something I was wondering as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, if you look at various tanks, you'll find top-output (meaning vapor) and bottom-output (meaning liquid). Forklift tanks are bottom-output. Bad news for RVs, bbqs, and the like.

Lynn
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Forklift tanks are meant to be used horizontally. If installed vertically, the float gauge will not work.

They are a commodity product manufactured and sold in much larger quantities than the relatively specialized vertical aluminum tanks we use.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
they work. I have had them for five years in both 30 and 40 lb tanks.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
they work. I have had them for five years in both 30 and 40 lb tanks.
you use these horizontal tanks? Do you just ignore the float gauge?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I'm not begrudging VTS. Love those guys and they provide a great service. I just wanted to save money where I can. Amazon is not charging me shipping on top of a slightly cheaper price. I wanted someone to tell me why VTS was the right way to go. I'd rather go with the right solution, and I wanted aluminum tanks.

You bought a vintage trailer. Do it right or do it twice. There is nothing wrong with steel tanks. You can paint them silver, which is alot less work than polishing the al ones. You need to understand that the process is endless, the dollars are many, and the time three times what you would expect if you want a fully undated shiney trailer. I'ld suggest you use it for a season before doing much to it. You may find it is OK to have steel tank like stuff.

They have the best price I could find. Get the fuel gauge on at least one of the tanks.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just a quick rant on always searching for the 'best price'.

A company like VTS is a very valuable resource in this community. Send your business to the large retailers who might have the item a bit cheaper and watch the small, service oriented companies Like VTS, Inland RV and others whither away and disappear. Then you will have NOTHING except your cheaper price to thank!

And BTW, keep shopping at Wal*Mart while you're at it and support those good folks in the corporate board rooms who gleefully send US jobs to China and other offshore locations so they can increase their bonuses and the bottom line of their corporations while helping to decimate the US middle and working class.

Rant over!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Import Cheap

Lew:
I hear you!

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Falling Rock , West Virginia
You can check the liquid level of any propane tank by pouring very hot water over the outside of the tank. A condensation line will appear, to give you a approximate level of liquid propane.
HillBilySkMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Just a quick rant on always searching for the 'best price'.

A company like VTS is a very valuable resource in this community. Send your business to the large retailers who might have the item a bit cheaper and watch the small, service oriented companies Like VTS, Inland RV and others whither away and disappear. Then you will have NOTHING except your cheaper price to thank!

Rant over!
Rant away, I just sent VTS over $300 and plan to send a lot more. For something that is very standard, and that may be taking up a lot of room in their inventory, and be very heavy to ship, it was one of the few things I was looking elsewhere for. In hindsight, I probably should have kept the steel tanks and painted them. Certainly would have been much cheaper. I was kind of looking at resale value when considering the Aluminum. The old steel ones had just been sitting in a garage for a while. I could probably go back and get them, but it was an even split for the long term on how to handle those. And the savings I got from the aluminum tanks probably would have gone right back to VTS in the form of something or other since we are nuts about the Overlander.

I completely agree with the rant though. We buy our milk from a small family owned (meaning the teenage boys milk the cow) farm, and I do my best to support small family owned or regional businesses.

Tags
amazon, aluminum