Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Alde' expert needed / lost my electric side for heat

We were greeted a few days ago with the "Overheat red failure" on the panel. We removed the connector under the seat to cut off the power and perform a reset per Alde. We now notice that the electric will not heat the fluid. The fluid is pumping with just electric on, but no heat.

If we add propane to supplement the electric, it works fine on propane.

What am I missing? I called Airstream and they think it is a bad electric element. But aren't there two elements? Could both go bad at the same time? Unlikely.

Before I make the trip to JC (only 240 miles away and on our way home) to drop off the trailer, maybe someone out there can suggest something.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We are now at Airstream JC for the repair. Airstream has agreed to look at it to see if it is something simple. Replacing the heating elements IS considered something simple. We stayed in the Terraport last night and an Airstream technician will be coming to our trailer this morning.

I'm confident they will find what is wrong. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

If I get a chance to take pictures I will. I was never able to find images of an electrical element change for an Alde' heater anywhere on the internet.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well, Less the technician was here and found some interesting things. The wire that I told them was unhooked was to the second pump. Second pump? I have the 3020 and although I've never heard about a second pump, there must be one! The breaker was also tripped. May have something to do with the second pump not being hooked up.

Anyway, he flipped the breaker and wire up the pump, and away it went! For a little while. The temps went from 85 to 136 in a very short time. I'm guessing too short of time. Less deemed it fixed and went on his way. The breaker tripped.

But I think I know what happened. The breaker tripped because the second pump was not wired yet. After he hooked up the second pump, it started pumping fluid and the temperature dropped fast as it should. The pump had already tripped the breaker, so the 12v system kept running hence the temperature drop without the electric to support it.

I saw the problem after he left and I flipped the breaker again. It was down to 99 degrees (glycol temp). It slowly began to rise. After 30 minutes it is at 117 degrees and rising. So it is working! The lack of the second pump running may have caused an overheat situation and it blew the breaker or just plain shut off the power to the elements. Since you can't tell if a breaker is tripped, it may not have been tripped and the system was just restarting properly.

We are staying here for now because the rain is really coming down and it gives me some time to monitor the Alde'. Brad the service manager said to keep an eye on it and if it needs further servicing he can work me in tomorrow or Monday.

We are just going to stay tight, nice, and WARM in our trailer while the remains of this hurricane pass by.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Happy to hear it is fixed. Maybe one pump is for the water heater and the other for the radiant heat. When we first set up at Alumalina the radiant heat was on even though the firefly wasn't calling for it so my trailer got too hot. I reset the 12v and it worked fine.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just an update to the Alde' problem. It has continued to work fine. We left JC and are now back home.

Tom & Doty