Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #21
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I'm not certain but I think you can buy them from the Airstream factory. I wouldn't let that be the deal breaker - I'm sure you can find something. We called the Airstream factory recently regarding a part needed for the unusual B190 van and they quoted us a price and lead time.

Colaw RV Salvage also comes to mind but their used stock is hit or miss.

I also came across Waltrip Used RV Sales northwest of Gainesville, FL - very nice people but used parts are always subject to availability.

Good luck
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead.
Does anyone know where to acquire the top to the aluminum propane bottle cover? I am looking at 2007 Safari that is missing the cover top.
No I don't, but I can say the Airstream propane cover I bought back in 2007 when I started this thread still looks great on my 1976 31' Sovereign. Good luck with your search.

Dons 1976 Airstrem 2010.pdf
Old 07-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I gave the local Airstream dealership a call. They said no problem, they can get one for about $80 from Airstream. Problem solved, if I do get the trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #24

1969 27' Overlander
Vinton , Virginia
Exclamation 1969 tanks

Just wondering if you can get the orginial tanks refilled or do you have to purchase new ones with the new type valves on them, My 1969 has two 40 gallon tanks look to be orginial tanks that came with the camper. I looked at some new tanks at the local hardware that I usually get to refill my grill tanks and they said they did not think you could refill the older tanks without the new valves. Any one know?
Thanks
Danny
captdanva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I gave the local Airstream dealership a call. They said no problem, they can get one for about $80 from Airstream. Problem solved, if I do get the trailer.
Out of doors mart has the tank cover lid too. Don't forget the latch for it too. I don't think the lid comes with the latch.They come in black and are (or used to be) painted by Airstream to match the A-frame on new trailers. The paint on mine (2005) is getting faded and is peeling off in spots, and the lid itself is starting to warp, so I may get a new one too. I think I'll just leave it black though. Don't forget the latch for it too. I don't think the lid comes with the latch.Gas Bottle Cover Lid Only 200841 [200841] - $69.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdanva View Post
Just wondering if you can get the orginial tanks refilled or do you have to purchase new ones with the new type valves on them, My 1969 has two 40 gallon tanks look to be orginial tanks that came with the camper. I looked at some new tanks at the local hardware that I usually get to refill my grill tanks and they said they did not think you could refill the older tanks without the new valves. Any one know?
Thanks
Danny
I hope they are 40 lb and not 40 gal tanks! lol It's illegal in the US to refill a propane tank that has a non-OPD valve. If they are aluminum tanks, it may be worth having them re-certified and refitted with the OPD valves. New aluminum tanks are very expensive. If they are steel, it may be more cost effective just to replace the entire tanks.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
i just damaged my 2009 30lb cover after I drove the AS without the hitch pin in the receiver. Luckily the only damage is the electric tongue jack which will have to replaced, the Tundra chrome bumper has a dent in it and some dings int he propane tank cover.

The electric jack shaft hit the tow vehicle and bent and hit the propane cover. It put some dents into the propane cover. I was able to pound out the dents somewhat from the inside but there are scars remaining.

Is it possible to take the cover somewhere and have it repaired and refinished? One think I noticed is the retaining clip on the cover is missing so the lock snap has nothing to grab onto. The two holes in the cover are intact so I guess the rivets popped. I'm hoping I can find the latch part separately to get the retaining clip.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Jack.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	223136  
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
i just damaged my 2009 30lb cover after I drove the AS without the hitch pin in the receiver. Luckily the only damage is the electric tongue jack which will have to replaced, the Tundra chrome bumper has a dent in it and some dings int he propane tank cover.

The electric jack shaft hit the tow vehicle and bent and hit the propane cover. It put some dents into the propane cover. I was able to pound out the dents somewhat from the inside but there are scars remaining.

Is it possible to take the cover somewhere and have it repaired and refinished? One think I noticed is the retaining clip on the cover is missing so the lock snap has nothing to grab onto. The two holes in the cover are intact so I guess the rivets popped. I'm hoping I can find the latch part separately to get the retaining clip.

Kelvin
The near square topped LPG tank covers are still available from Airstream. Use a parts stocking dealer for help.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I recently bought the latch and top to the cover from Airstream. I would think that any competent body shop could somewhat smooth out the tank cover. Cost, depends on their skill and hours required. It might end up cheaper to buy a new tank cover. Personally the damage seems minor. I would just mark it down to battle damage and move on.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
They were still making those propane covers when I took a factory tour two weeks ago.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile refilling proane

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdanva View Post
Thanks
Danny
Any filler should be able to change valves or recommend some one that can change them. New aluminum tanks are exp. only smoll charge to change valves & to recertify. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #32

1989 35' Land Yacht
Ransomville , New York
Do you have the horizontal cover for the 30lb tanks? Please call John Hope @ 716-791-1089 Thanks.
bluelake2655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Having no luck finding an aluminum lid... can anybody help?
30# cover
Old 05-16-2022, 07:14 PM   #34
Rosie the Riveted

2015 22' FB Sport
Estes Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I recently changed my 30#bottles and cover for 40# bottles and cover. They are for sale if anyone is interested.
I’d love to buy the 30# tank cover. What are you asking for it and where are you located please?
Spowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:33 PM   #35
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Hi - Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately you're responding to at least a 4 year old thread...you may have better luck searching the classifieds or posting your own "wanted" item. It's free to post in the classifieds.
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote