Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
AI-19 propane tank leaked and now will not fill

I'm having an issue with the propane system in my 2021 Airstream Interstate 19 4x4. The initial issue was almost all of the propane leaked out after having the tank filled. I was hoping that the bleeder valve was mistakenly left open, but now two different filling sites could not fill the tank. After the hose is connected, neither site could get any propane into the system. Is this two issues, or is there a common problem?
MarkHarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I suppose it could be an issue with the main filler valve, but it's hard to know without being there. I recommend that you take it to a full-service propane outfit, not just to a filler. Full-service places are ones that do work of this kind. In many states (including mine), mere fillers are not permitted to do ANYTHING beyond, well, just filling.

And, no, this is not a common problem. These tanks and associated valves are designed for safety and use, in your case (that is, a fixed-mount horizontal cylinder for motorhomes) with specs from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). I don't know what companies actually produce the tanks and valves that Airstream installs, but they'll be ASME certified, in any event.

Lynn
Old 01-26-2023, 07:25 PM   #3
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Sounds like you have a closed valve in the system. Is the remote valve open or closed? The tank may be full after all.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
The monitoring system in the CZone indicates that the tank is near empty, but there is the possibility that the tank sensor could be off as well. I could light the propane stove when the CZone read 4%, and I haven't tried now that it reads at 1.4%. I turned off the toggle switch in the filler area and have not turned it back on.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:33 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mark,

Not an AI owner, just a possible idea. Can you see the nameplate tag on the propane tank? If so, try contacting the tank mfgr and ask for tech support on that system.

Good luck,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
The tank is leaking because the hose going to the generator is leaking. This is the 2nd leaking hose in two years. That will be replaced and I'm having the fill valve replaced as well to address the fill issue.

Thanks for your ideas.