RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #41
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
How do you know this? Propane is always temperature corrected.
The swap tanks are not filled manually so they leave a bigger safety margin to ensure plenty of airspace

Less contents and higher price so only for rich or time-poor people
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #42
Rivet Master

42į 2' 27" N / 74į 7' 6" W , US
25.4 LB propane tank to old to refill

Safety is more important than shopping to squeeze an extra ounce or two of propane in your propane tank, the people here that speak to 80% capacity are right on.
Nothing wrong with swapping tanks, they are professionally maintained and thatís certainly worth a few ounces of propane more or less to me.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
i would get the tanks from Costco. Those sold by Costco has build in gauge so you would know how much propane you have in the tanks.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Tim S. Don't waste time or effort trying to re-certify...If you look at your 3 pic you can see the tanks do not have the "triangle" Valve. This means no OPD valve in tanks. they can't pass inspection unless you have OPD valves installed. But being steel tanks just buy new steel 30lb tanks or if budget allows go with Worthington Aluminum. Stay safe
Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #45

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
i would get the tanks from Costco. Those sold by Costco has build in gauge so you would know how much propane you have in the tanks.

To my knowledge, Costco only sells 20 lb tanks, not 30.
sheriff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:55 AM   #46
Air Mobile

2005 25' International CCD
Newport News , Virginia
Costco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
Thanks for suggestion. I did get them recertified, cost $15 at local full service gas company, they filled also. Do have a question about Costco since I'll replace with new next time. I checked online at Costco and there doesn't appear to be any 30lb lp tanks for sale, any chance they no longer sell the tanks? Costco did have 100lb tanks, but no 30lb.
Tim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_S View Post
Thanks for suggestion. I did get them recertified, cost $15 at local full service gas company, they filled also. Do have a question about Costco since I'll replace with new next time. I checked online at Costco and there doesn't appear to be any 30lb lp tanks for sale, any chance they no longer sell the tanks? Costco did have 100lb tanks, but no 30lb.
Did you ask the place that did the re-certification about getting new tanks next time around? They can probably get you exactly what you need and likely in a better quality than Costco. There are different levels of quality in all things sold, including propane tanks.

Propane tanks can be configured in an almost limitless number of ways, and you'll get exactly what you need working with a propane dealer who will set them up for you to fit your application. Even little things, like having the gauges & valves pointing the way you need them can make a huge difference.

More important to me in a situation like this is having a relationship with the local dealer. Not just because it supports them, but it supports you too. When something in your propane system goes awry, having an established relationship with them makes it much more likely that they'll go the extra mile for you to find that odd widget you need to get things made right.
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:19 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Littleton , Colorado
I saw 30 # tanks online at Costco but then they vanished! Walmart sells Flame King 30 # tanks. A pair (two) goes for $110 delivered. Now that I've said that watch them sell out.
Blind Wille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_S View Post

guess the online services ran out of 30# but some Costco warehouse still sell them in obscured areas.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote