RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #21

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You can observe what's going on with the trade-in cylinders if you know the math.

First, look at the collar of the metal cylinder. YOu're going to see something like WC 47.6. If you know to do the math -- namely, multiplying as (WC X 0.47), then you'll find that you've got yourself a ~20 pound cylinder. In other words, that cylinder CAN contain ~20 pounds of propane.

Now look at the removable plastic wrapping on the trade-in bottle. And check what they call "net weight" (meaning the weight of the product without the packaging). If it is less than ~20 pounds, well, they underfilled the cylinder. Indeed, I think that you'll find that the net weight on the plastic wrapping is usually 15 pounds.

ANd that's how you'd know that the trade-in outfits are not filling their propane cylinders to capacity.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
How do you know this? Propane is always temperature corrected.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
recertify is easy. That doesn't mean you get another 12 years. The propane dealer will stamp a new date on the tank. The tank I had done for my home BBQ got 5 years.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Take them to A & B Propane on Military Highway in Chesapeake. They just certified and installed a Gauge on each on my 30lb tanks. They will also give you a honest evaluation of your tanks.
Crabpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
Propane Tank Recertification

I agree with BOBSTOCK's comment. I've had my ALUMINUM 30 lb propane tanks since I got the 1994 30 ft. Excella Front Kitchen back in 1996. I prefer their lighter weight and higher capacities vs. steel tanks. I got mine recertified here in Phoenix for $20 each after calling around the propane dealers a bit to find one who would to it... That would be my solution if possible...
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #25
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Angry Horizontal Tanks

Sadly, when the rules were written in Canada for OPD valves they did not take into account horizontal tanks like they did in the USA where they grandfathered the old non OPDs. Thus my, lovely, USA recertified 40 lb aluminum tanks cannot be filled in Canada but can be in the USA.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well here in NJ it cost $30 to recertify a tank for 5 years that would be $60 with the second time to make 10 years. This is well worth it for aluminum tanks. Not worth it for steel tanks you can buy new for $65 that are good for 12 years.
Now the reality is the barbecue tanks have a 25 lb capacity, since they can only be filled to 80% of capacity they can only be filled to 20 lbs so they are called 20 lb tanks. Also most exchange places only fill them to 15 lbs, Still a cheap easy way to get a 20 lb tank "recertified".
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #27
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_S View Post
I have a 2005 25' International that has two 25.4 lb propane tanks. I went to get them refilled and found out they are too old, dated 05/04, I'm guessing May 2004. They are stamped "must be requalified within 12 years of manufactured date."
For what it's worth, the 30 gallon aluminum tanks that came with our 2000 Excella were manufactured in 1974. Did not ask the previous owner why the originals were swapped out, but there was no issue getting them tested/certified at a propane supplier in Texas. The same shop installed a new valve assembly last year that cost around $25., and we have had them filled in nearly every state west of the Rockies without question.

The owner of the propane place who certified them said he would love to get his hands on some aluminum tanks because they last forever, but they are hard to find. If you do buy replacement tanks, worth considering going aluminum if you can.
aswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Hertford , NC
Visual recertification

Recertification is pretty easy, I took mine to A&B Propane in Chesapeake VA a few years ago and have traveled east to west coast with no problem having them refilled. If memory serves me correctly, there was not a charge, but I did have them filled while I was there since we were getting ready to hit the road.
rdb504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
here in Canada where I am on the west coast its cheaper to recertify 30lb tanks ....20lbs unfortunately are just better to go to costco and buy new. Trade a tank is expensive propane here compared refilling at costco.
Had mine done up in Chemanus at Viper Fuel. Much cheaper than new ones,even at Costco.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Exchange it for a full 20 pounder at a 7-11, Home Depot, etc. Amergas witl inspect and re-certify.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_S View Post
Hello All,

I have a 2005 25' International that has two 25.4 lb propane tanks. I went to get them refilled and found out they are too old, dated 05/04, I'm guessing May 2004. They are stamped "must be requalified within 12 years of manufactured date." Four Questions:

1) Is it better to just buy new tanks or get them requalified?
2) If requalified, anyone know where in Newport News, Virginia?
3) If buy replacements, anyone know where in Newport News, Virginia?
3) I don't see many mentions of 25.4 LB propane tanks online, I wonder if 30 LB tanks would fit in my existing case? There's no more width available in the silver sleeve, but could go a 3-4 inches taller.

Many thanks!

Tim
Tim,
Over the years, I've had several tanks recertified at commercial propane dealers that service/refill farm, industrial and residential tanks. If you get your tanks refilled, they usually charge only a small additional fee to recertify and label the tank. The recertification process involves an inspection of the tank for good mechanical condition and a leak test of the valve/valve stem, etc.

One of the suppliers that I've used for this service with excellent results here in Wichita, KS is Ferrellgas. Ferrellgas also has a franchise there in Newport News, and here's a link! I'd give those folks a call!

All my best,

Steve
Old 11-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswell View Post
<snip> "he would love to get his hands on some aluminum tanks because they last forever, but they are hard to find."
Not really...Vintage Trailer Supply carries them if you're in the market.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my trailer is the same year as yours; I got my tanks recertified. Note: recertification in the USA is not good in Canada.
Actually not true. I have a letter from Transport Canada that says US certification is valid for refills in Canada and here is the link:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/dangerous-go...-0#requalified

Michigan recertification at an approved facility was $5 plus a fill of propane.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #34

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Simi Valley , California
We bought 2 30lb tanks at Camping World about 2 years ago. I believe that Worthington Tanks are the best, their paint is better too. Possibly they are US made as well. C/W had a sale and we are members so we got a good price. Our A/S is a 2007, 27fb with original size tanks that came with it.
photofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage View Post
Actually not true. I have a letter from Transport Canada that says US certification is valid for refills in Canada and here is the link:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/dangerous-go...-0#requalified

Michigan recertification at an approved facility was $5 plus a fill of propane.
Hi, I see where USA and Canada recognize the tanks and their markings, but I still didn't see where Canada recognizes USA re-certifications. I was told that by two propane dealers. [ this was about two years ago]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
You can observe what's going on with the trade-in cylinders if you know the math.

First, look at the collar of the metal cylinder. YOu're going to see something like WC 47.6. If you know to do the math -- namely, multiplying as (WC X 0.47), then you'll find that you've got yourself a ~20 pound cylinder. In other words, that cylinder CAN contain ~20 pounds of propane.

Now look at the removable plastic wrapping on the trade-in bottle. And check what they call "net weight" (meaning the weight of the product without the packaging). If it is less than ~20 pounds, well, they underfilled the cylinder. Indeed, I think that you'll find that the net weight on the plastic wrapping is usually 15 pounds.

ANd that's how you'd know that the trade-in outfits are not filling their propane cylinders to capacity.

Lynn
Seems that I've been told you only fill to 80% capacity.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #37

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Yep, and if you follow the math in my post, that IS 80%.

Lynn
Old 11-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Littleton , Colorado
You can get two brand new 30# tanks from Costco for $100, free delivery.
Blind Wille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I see where USA and Canada recognize the tanks and their markings, but I still didn't see where Canada recognizes USA re-certifications. I was told that by two propane dealers. [ this was about two years ago]
Here is from the email from Transport Canada's Dangerous Goods Transportation division:

As discussed, the FAQ to our website. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/moc-cyl...ml#requalified

This describes that DOT cylinders can be used in Canada, and that a requalification facility approved in the USA by PHMSA must requalify and mark DOT cylinders in accordance with the U.S. Department of Transportation's Hazardous Materials Regulations entitled Title 49 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR). Their RIN or VIN (requalification identification number) will be marked on the cylinder.

A requalifier can be looked up by their RIN/VIN on PHMSA’s database, and their approval letter will indicate if they are allowed to mark the cylinder with an adhesive label. Not all companies in the USA have obtained this approval.

Since this label is permitted under 49CFR, if the cylinder was requalified in the USA in accordance with 49CFR, the requalification is recognized in Canada. Note that Canadian requalifiers are not allowed to mark with a label on metal cylinders.

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Now the reality is the barbecue tanks have a 25 lb capacity, since they can only be filled to 80% of capacity they can only be filled to 20 lbs so they are called 20 lb tanks. Also most exchange places only fill them to 15 lbs, Still a cheap easy way to get a 20 lb tank "recertified".
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Absolutely. See my previous post. The companies selling tanks have been forced to actually sell them according to the 80% capacity they can be filled to. Therefore a tank with 25 lb capacity that can only be filled to 80% is sold as a 20 lb tank since that is what it can be filled to.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote