Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2003, 05:33 PM   #1

Why Tradition?

I recently purchased a vintage Airstream (1962 Bambi), joined WBCCI, and attended my first International Rally all in the short span of two months. I was a bit overwhelmed by all the pomp and circumstance I encountered at the rally and wanted to find out how the WBCCI general membership feels about this topic. I later saw Jim Franklin’s point of view on the same topic in the August, 2003 edition of the “Blue Beret”. What does everyone else think about this? Are these rituals needed?

For those who haven’t read Jim’s article, I have posted it here along with a poll:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...?threadid=6349
blackghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I haven't attended an International, but in the unit rallys I have attended there is just about no formality at all and at the Region 9 rally, only the officers got caught up in it and not very much of that.

Some thrive on the fomality and rituals. I want to be somewhere else.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
The rituals and traditions to some, pomp and circumstance to others, are obviously enjoyable and useful to those who participant in them and those who watch them. Some people love the Olympic Games opening and closing ceremonies; I'd rather wax my kitchen floor than be forced to sit though them, so my kitchen floor gets waxed every 4 years. As long as attendance at such functions is not mandatory, what's the harm in letting other people enjoy themselves in ways you would not choose? Why take a poll to control other's behavior when you can simply live and let live? There is no reason to spoil their fun simply because it doesn't appeal to you. If you "feel" their rituals are boring or of little interest, don't attend. Do something else instead. I am sure you will be able to find many others who also skip the rituals and traditional ceremonies. Join them so two groups with different views can each have fun without stepping on each others feelings. As for me, nearby ritual and tradition sparks an uncontrollable urge to polish my trailer.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:26 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 47WeeWind
The rituals and traditions to some, pomp and circumstance to others, are obviously enjoyable and useful to those who participant in them and those who watch them. Some people love the Olympic Games opening and closing ceremonies; I'd rather wax my kitchen floor than be forced to sit though them, so my kitchen floor gets waxed every 4 years. As long as attendance at such functions is not mandatory, what's the harm in letting other people enjoy themselves in ways you would not choose? Why take a poll to control other's behavior when you can simply live and let live? There is no reason to spoil their fun simply because it doesn't appeal to you. If you "feel" their rituals are boring or of little interest, don't attend. Do something else instead. I am sure you will be able to find many others who also skip the rituals and traditional ceremonies. Join them so two groups with different views can each have fun without stepping on each others feelings. As for me, nearby ritual and tradition sparks an uncontrollable urge to polish my trailer.
Well said, Fred!
Intolerance is just a nice word for feeling superior.
May I help you polish your trailer.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

" I would not join any club that would have me as a member " Groucho Marx
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 02:45 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Pomp and WHAT?

Hey "Guys".....How about explaining a bit further what the Pomp and "Circumferences" are..........
Have never been to a Rally...............

Or I could just keep my nose out of it, but then I'd be left to my own imagination......thats scary!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Wouldn't you know?

Amy in an Argosy

It's where they gather around in a circle and,
"give" the secret handshake..

Got it?? jajajajajaja

Actually, what I believed was said was:

Quote:
I was a bit overwhelmed by all the pomp and "circumstance" I encountered at the rally
You said;
Quote:
Hey "Guys".....How about explaining a bit further what the Pomp and "Circumferences" are..........
slight differences, wouldn't you agree??

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Well yeah slight differences
But mostly a poor attempt at a "blonde" joke

and to think I was going to say Pomp and Circumcisio......oh never mind
Old 08-27-2003, 04:03 AM   #9

Thank-you for all the responses! I want to clarify that the purpose of my poll is NOT to control other's behavior but to poll the general Airstream public's opinion. Also, I am NOT, by any means, trying to "spoil the fun" by polling public opinion. And, finally, I am not "intolerant", which is defined as someone who refuses to allow others the enjoyment of their opinions.

What I am doing is what has been done on countless occasions over a campfire -- asking a question to start a conversation and to hear other's opinions. I am aware that this "pomp and circumstance" is very near and dear to many Airstreamers and it is also the "heart" of the WBCCI so I am attempting to tread very lightly. I apologize if I stepped too hard! It was not my intent.

My understanding of this forum, was that it was, in fact, a "forum" -- a public meeting place for open discussion. There is no need to resort to name calling (i.e., "intolerant"). I would imagine the forum master would frown upon that type of behavior!

With that said, let's get back to the business of discussing this topic of "tradition" -- pro or con!

For Amy in an Argosy:

For the record, here is a definition of "pomp": Dignified or magnificent display; splendor.

The only "pomp and circumstance" I witnessed was each of the Regions and Units marches in one by one with their flags (over 165 units; 2 hours+) and everyone involved dresses the same (blue beret, white shirt, blue trousers/skirt).
Old 08-27-2003, 04:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

If you want "pomp and circumstance" go to the Burning Man rally in the desert this week. Maybe you wouldn't call it a rally and maybe it doesn't have "pomp" but it sure has "circumstance"
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:20 AM   #11

"The Burning Man" event IS on my list of things to do before I die!
Old 08-27-2003, 04:36 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

For Amy in an Argosy:

For the record, here is a definition of "pomp": Dignified or magnificent display; splendor.

EEEKKKKKKKK OKay OKay I will not try to be "cute" or funny or goofy anymore I promise.
I do know what Pomp and Circumstance mean. Just didn't know what happens at the rallies. I never realized it was more than a group of people parking together in one spot. Yes, I am naive.

Thank you Ghost for explaining the ceremonies.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:08 AM   #13
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by blackghost
My understanding of this forum, was that it was, in fact, a "forum" -- a public meeting place for open discussion. There is no need to resort to name calling (i.e., "intolerant"). I would imagine the forum master would frown upon that type of behavior!.........

It's all between the lines. My reference to what you call name calling (i.e. "intolerant") was a tongue in cheek statement about my personal experiences with the "brass" of the wbcci.
Sorry you took it directed towards you.
May I help you polish your trailer during the next pomp and circumstance...

Do a search on the subject and you will find many opinions.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
" I would not join any club that would have me as a member " Groucho Marx

It wasn't Groucho that said that, it was Mark Twain.

Wait, maybe it was Will Rogers?

Now I can't remember. So long ago.....

Yes it was Groucho.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Hey,,

Amy in a Argosy

Quote:
Well yeah slight differences
You crack'in me up....Are you really 'blonde'?

BTW, don't feel bad..
I haven't a clue as to what goes on myself but, if it's what greases the wheels so we can all have "fun", then...I'm for it..

After all, This is one big happy family~!!

How I long to be amongst other A/S..
Here I sit park next to SOB's all around and,
Not a aluminum A/S fixs to had..
The sun sets, the stars rise,
oh where, oh where, are they to be found,
Tis wide country of ours?

I'll excuse your 'blonde joke', if you'll excuse my attempt
at poetry...jajajajajaj

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 08-27-2003, 10:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The matters of tradition, custom, and ceremony are very important for group identity. It is a human social thing.

This group identity does several things. It conveys a sense of belonging or not. It conveys the values of the association. It creates the ability to identify who is a member and who is not. It establishes behaviors that are shared between members that reinforces their membership in the group.

These days many customs and practices of the past do not have the value they once did. But that does not mean they should be discarded, impugned, or ignored.

The failure to maintain customary practice and tradition is a source for the demise of many organizations.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Re: Hey,,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 53FlyingCloud
[B]Amy in a Argosy

You crack'in me up....Are you really 'blonde'?

~~~~~~~~~~~ Yeppers! Dyed and True! <S>
At least you're not a poet, and you know it
But as for me, confusion reigns gleefully

Hmmm What was the thread topic again???

giggling
Old 08-27-2003, 12:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up yeppers

Quote:
Yeppers! Dyed and True! <S>
and...
Quote:
Hmmm What was the thread topic again???
Beats me~!~
jajajaja
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 08-27-2003, 02:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
uh-oh.
broken thread.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:33 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Rally "Pomp and Circumstance"

I used to know a guy we went camping with down on the Altamaha River, close to Jesup Ga. in a river inlet called Dr. Town...which was just a lumber mill town..anyway (me and bunch of young (12-13 year old men)and this guy would bring everything he owned in a big cardboard box; tent, clothes, sleeping bag, homework, food, matchs and 3 or 4 changes of clothes for an over night camp.....we called him a little "gung ho,"....is that the same thing as "Pomp and circumstance?"...anyway, he was a great friend and we enjoyed his company even though he was a little "eccentric?"...and we thought he worked at it, but we stilled loved him and invited him along everytime we went camping down on the Altamaha River, close to Jesup Ga. in a river inlet town called Dr. Town....a lumber mill town...

I think I would enjoy an event like this, bein' as I'm new to all of this...it might remind me of camping down on the Altamaha River....

Our friend who camped with us grew up to be a famous brain surgeon....savin' lives and stampin' out disease...he enjoyed our company also...

Sign man

Charlie Renfroe