Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost too much 13 15.66%
Not enough value for the membership fee 24 28.92%
Too many rules 31 37.35%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 29 34.94%
Bad experience 15 18.07%
Other reason(s) 19 22.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2015, 04:30 AM   #61
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Membership is not dropping.
Perhaps the OP was referring to these numbers... Hopefully this past International turns this around...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We joined to attend a rally ... met many really nice folks, but decided that it was not really for us. Then, we were coerced by leadership to join again in order to attend a regional rally ... ugghh. The people are great for the most part, but the organization is not for everyone... a bit stratified and socially focused.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We joined to attend a rally ... met many really nice folks, but decided that it was not really for us. Then, we were coerced by leadership to join again in order to attend a regional rally ... ugghh. The people are great for the most part, but the organization is not for everyone... a bit stratified and socially focused.
Interesting comments. I think we are sort of feeling the same as far as the group being stratified and socially focused.
Cheers
Doug
Old 08-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #64
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Then, we were coerced by leadership to join again in order to attend a regional rally ... ugghh.
You'll have to explain that one to me. How can someone be coerced into joining? "Join WBCCI or we'll release these photographs of your last camping trip to the Internet"?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You'll have to explain that one to me. How can someone be coerced into joining? "Join WBCCI or we'll release these photographs of your last camping trip to the Internet"?
Your answer is in a PM ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #66

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Your answer is in a PM ...
And it makes perfect sense how they were able to coerce you.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #67
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Ok,
So call me stupid.
Buy why are there so many threads on the WBCCI here?
Why don't people who like joining things join.
And let the people who don't like to join things do their own thing.
Why do WB members seem to go out of their way to make the club seem like it's so much fun?
Maybe it is fun. Maybe it's more fun than having an orgasm at Disneyland. Maybe each and every rally is an epiphany. Maybe every meal is a banquet.
But...
Why do members try so hard to recruit everyone.
Why do they need/want more members?
Is it because the meetings are actually boring and they are hoping more members will make it fun?
Every time the WB comes up here there is always a lot of arguing about everything.
People rehashing gripes, people bashing management. And others saying they're wrong and it's better now.
Again, call me stupid, but who cares if you join?
Who cares if you didn't join?
Who cares if you joined and quit - for whatever reason - maybe didn't get your free orgasm at Disneyland or you didn't like their recycling policy or you think everyone in the club has bromadrosis AND halitosis.
Sheesh.
Why can't the joiners join, the quitters quit and the non joiners just go off and have a nice glass of of merlot?
Why do we have to hash it out all the time?
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #68

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Ok,
So call me stupid.
No, thanks. Won't do that.
Quote:
But why are there so many threads on the WBCCI here?
If it's troublesome for you, you can "Ignore" the entire WBCCI Forum and the WBCCI Rallies & Events sub-forum in the Rally Zone, and then you'll never have to read another post in the never-ending debate. They won't even show up on your screen.

Although "Ignoring" a forum, or a thread in that forum, doesn't get rid of your subscriptions to any thread you've already posted in. So you'll also have to unsubscribe to any threads concerning WBCCI that you've already posted in, including this one.

I did that with "Friends of Dorothy" and other sub-forums that don't interest me, and now there are a whole lot fewer items in my inbox that I'd never read anyway. Makes using the AirForums a much easier and more pleasant experience.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #69
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No, thanks. Won't do that.If it's troublesome for you, you can "Ignore" the entire WBCCI Forum and the WBCCI Rallies & Events sub-forum in the Rally Zone, and then you'll never have to read another post in the never-ending debate. They won't even show up on your screen.

Although "Ignoring" a forum, or a thread in that forum, doesn't get rid of your subscriptions to any thread you've already posted in. So you'll also have to unsubscribe to any threads concerning WBCCI that you've already posted in, including this one.

I did that with "Friends of Dorothy" and other sub-forums that don't interest me, and now there are a whole lot fewer items in my inbox that I'd never read anyway. Makes using the AirForums a much easier and more pleasant experience.
Thanks.
It was a rhetorical question.
I understand the workings of the forum - ignoring, unsubscribing, etc.
Been here for 10 years or more.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Agree with Ultradog. !!!!!!!!!!!!Three or more current threads all digressing at some point to bashing and calling it "imo" or "imho".

Protag you were trying to gain some knowledge in order to lead more effectively. But if no one reads the original post kind if hard to stay on point.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
As a founding president and current member of a WBCCI member, Let me give you my opinion!

I'll ask you once to consider joining. If you don't, I'll be disappointed, then I'll probably have another beer with you.

In the end, I hope you would consider the WBCCI, but if not, no big deal. No skin off my back.

Now if you CONTINUALLY throw the subject in my face and bad mouth the WBCCI, I'm probably going to step up and defend the club. Or, I might not give a crap and I'll move my chair at the campfire.

Ever notice that a large amount of folks that argue about the WBCCI are not members but still insist on stirring the pot? I think a lot of them just like seeing their names on the forums.

Also, I really never though it would happen to me, but I browse these forums less and less. I use to read it every morning and after dinner. Now, I just casually click over here now and then.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #72
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Keeping to the Question

We left WBCCI not because the members but because of the rules, rules and more rules; the formal requirements, ties, hats, dressing up while camping in a parking lot was not our idea of fun. We still work and I don't want to dress up on while camping on my days off.

I think poor Wally intended WBCCI to be about enjoying his trailers (and creating a desire to own one!). Not sure that is how WBCCI functions now. Wally was really ahead of his time with product promotion by creating the WBCCI. Today, WBCCI itself seem to have lost that focus. The fact that the caravans are often sold out really shows WBCCI's strength. It would be interesting to see how much of the WBCCI leadership as actually lead a caravan! Other enthusiasts have gotten ahead of both WBCCI and Airstream with this forum, other magazines, and new media. I wonder if Wally would have had the foresight to see the value and leverage them for the WBCCI. Wonder when and how he would have incorporated these into the business and the club.

I wish success on WBCCI and hope that the club changes with the times. I hope that WBCCI utilizes a potentially untapped resource (the children of the membership) to help keep WBCCI relevant with the younger generation. One day I hope I will become interested again in joining WBCCI while enjoying my Airstream and camping.

I wish all the best to the new WBCCI President and the First Lady, and will not try to read anything into a few words he writes in a letter to the club. I am sure he will make people upset but will hopefully make positive changes to help the WBCCI. Change is hard but required to keep WBCCI relevant!

Best wishes.
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
My unit, NOVA, has one rule. We don't discuss business on campouts.

I guess we do have other rules. Be sure to leave the corkscrew on the picnic table and don't knock on trailer doors that have a sock on them....... (long story)

Formal wear for us means wearing your good flip flops to dinner.

www.campnova.com

Old 08-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So you require flipflops! What about bare feet.?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So you require flipflops! What about bare feet.?
Rules are one thing, standards are another!

No one wants to see some sausage toe old guy feet while enjoying a sloppy joe and a bud light.

www.campnova.com

Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I guess my standards are pretty low. Your group sure seems like a fun bunch! On edit, haven't seen my toes since I grew my beard.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I haven't seen my toes since the previously mentioned sloppy joes......

www.campnova.com

Old 08-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
I find all this fascinating, in a bad way. We are soon buying our first Airstream. Seen the red numbers for years but had no idea so much would be involved with deciding if I wanted them or not. On the surface, seems so obviously interesting and fun to take the family out for the weekend in Airstream and hang out with a bunch of fellow Airstreamers. Naive perhaps, as it sounds far more complicated than I would have imagined.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Dan it can be either. Difficult or easy.

Take all the back and forth in these threads with a grain of salt.

If you join you get your red numbers and you can participate or not in any functions.

We joined out of tradition and the history. We have our red numbers (although not on yet) and joined a local Unit for occasional camping comraderie.

It really is that easy.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
That appeals to us as well, tradition, history, and camaraderie. But with the rigidity and negativity (broadly speaking) I've seen mentioned on countless old threads, and now this one, I'm hesitant to take my small kids and wife to any WBCCI Rally, event, etc.

Sounds more like an organization for folks with one foot in the grave based on reports here. Somehow thinking structure equates to purpose. Or does that structure simply take away the energy required to be creative and adaptable? The purpose in camping is to have fun. Well, to me at any rate.

Activities for kids (that they actually enjoy), lawn games like horse shoe contest with cold beer in early afternoon with a little classic rock in background, a pig pickin, a fish fry, some live music on Sat night, that sounds fun.

Watermelon contest and water guns and slip n slides around the lawn for the kids. They could run parallel corn hole competitions near parents at time of horse shoe contests.

Themed nights regarding music such as beach music (shag dancing), country/bluegrass, and Motown, stuff that crosses generations and endures.

Some adult, older adult, activities of course as well. Participating members should be choosing said activities and voting on a thread/poll here prior to each event. Something for everyone is all I'm suggesting. Our 'real' life offers all the structure and rigidity we can stand.

Hopefully I'm misguided, but I have not read anything that suggest WBCCI does anything to attract, nor retain, young families like ours. Might revisit this idea later if any reason to join surfaces. At the moment, a reason for us to join appears a white elephant.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote