Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
This is an insightful discussion, and like many new A/Sers we're wondering if we're ready to look seriously at membership. We have a number of WBCCI units in the region, but the majority of their web pages/activity lists tend to support the notion of little to interest a couple in our late 40s.

Also, as one of quite a few former military folks in the group, the idea of significant ceremony and wearing uniforms is familiar, but not really desirable.

I'm going to join a rally of my parents old no-name RV club this coming weekend. Their club was once based on the old Shasta brand, yet evolved to an open membership (to include two A/S's) and no manufacturer focus. I think trying an Air Forums rally, and just gettin' together, sounds like the best course for the near future.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
I have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. My wife and I ( and the two kids) recently purchased our first Airstream, a long time dream fulfilled. As a 30's couple WITH children we are the very people the WBCCI should be encouraging and recruiting. To be sure every decision we make includes our children and if the club creates an atmosphere or perception that children are not welcome we will not be interested. We intend to join our regional organization but may hold out to see how it goes to join the international. I would hate to think an organization created for enjoyment, fellowship and entertainment would stifle the very opinions that may keep it alive. Change is inevitable, refreshing and necessary if the next generation will find the WBCCI worth saving, and I really hope that is the case. Regardless, owning an Airstream is special not because it is the most expensive but because it is unique, it has class and an amazing history. It would be interesting to create a thread (a running list) of ideas that could improve the WBCCI to increase new membership.

63silver
The problem is you have to join the International to be able to join a local unit. The majority of your annual membership fee goes to the International.

Membership Application
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wbcci.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	63642  

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Exclamation I choose the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We enjoy ALL aspects of the Forums,

for us it IS the definitive Airstream community.

We HELP each other.

Is it sometimes confrontational?, sure it is, big deal, how else can we

learn anything?

I truly believe this Forum has helped more Newbies than any other AS

community. Expand the base...thats what it's all about, thats what good

for everyone.

IMHO
If it were to come down to making a choice between the Forum, and WBCCI, I CHOOSE THE FORUM! Sorry Jim.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I like the forums as well, but I am a WBCCI member and I support the WBCCI, but not it's leadership as long as that leadership means scuttling the club.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Maybe a few visits to the local to see just how family friendly it is will be necessary before a final decision is made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf View Post
The problem is you have to join the International to be able to join a local unit. The majority of your annual membership fee goes to the International.

Membership Application
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen View Post
If it were to come down to making a choice between the Forum, and WBCCI, I CHOOSE THE FORUM! Sorry Jim.
Yup, but I can't do without the forum because it's an Airstream forum that has more info and more fun than anyplace else on the Internet and that I can take part in after 10 pm or way early in the morning. And I can't do without the WBCCI because it's about Airstream caravans, rallies, and live, face-to-face fellowship.

Bottom line: I'm kinda stuck on both.

Lynn
Old 07-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #87

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Yup, but I can't do without the forum because it's an Airstream forum that has more info and more fun than anyplace else on the Internet and that I can take part in after 10 pm or way early in the morning. And I can't do without the WBCCI because it's about Airstream caravans, rallies, and live, face-to-face fellowship.

Bottom line: I'm kinda stuck on both.

Lynn
I, too, am stuck on both, but I am presently leaning toward the Forums. I am hoping that WBCCI will be less parochial (as in limited in range and scope) in the near future.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I, too, am stuck on both, but I am presently leaning toward the Forums. I am hoping that WBCCI will less parochial (as in limited in range and scope) in the near future.

Brian
Hear, hear! As soon as they embrace pirates I'm back in!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #89
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
You know this whole thing just makes me shake my head.

I can support both the WBCCI and AIR. Why should I have to choose? It's ridiculous. This should not be an either-or situation and is akin to telling a parent of 2 children that they must choose one over the other, can only love and support one child and must shun the other. Hog wash!

I belong to the WBCCI and support it in many ways even though it's not always easy. I belong to the forums and find that compared to the WBCCI, it's a soft place to land. But nevertheless I continue to participate and contribute and find value in both venues. I won't choose and believe that the best way to effect is from within.

Make the circle bigger.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #90
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Janet, Right on!! I feel the same way, we love the good friends in both WB and the forum. I'm hopefull, with reading the 2020 vision, believe we have to be members to make changes in our units and then up the club ladder. I know the Oregon unit is changing, Glenn flew his pirate flag at the last rally! and we had a happy hour with real refreshments, next will be a kids camp.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
It's brilliant!

His approach would increase 'new enrollments' because excited new owners would be unable (in his imaginary world) to get honest information.

The new members would drop out due to frustration, or be kicked out due to dissention. It's a win-win for the club! Management gets to stay in charge AND they get lots of money. By bringing in any SOB to the Airstream family, it's MORE money. Mwwwuuuhhaaa haaaa.

Seriously, they obviously have overhead problems and are looking to increase revenue, not attract long term members.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #92
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Way to go Janet! You are spot on with your comments. I enjoy the forums, like Eubank, in that I visit every day without fail. It is always there, early and late in the day. I have a few friends here and there that I've met on the forums, but I must admit that for me it is all at the local unit level of the WBCCI. I'm so fortunate to have found the Texas Highland Lakes Unit. I'm relatively certain that my experience may have been different had I joined another unit, but the THLU is WONDERFUL. Each rally is fun, everyone pitches in to help, we have different age groups within its ever growing membership and I now count my closest friends among its membership. There are never any issues such as we are discussing here at our unit level. So far, we've enjoyed active, dynamic, progressive leadership and the most wonderful activities.
Two years ago I was briefly misdiagnosed with terminal cancer. The THLU stepped up overwhelming me with support, visits, emails, phone calls, cards, letters and prayer. I received far more support from the THLU than from my church of 40+ years. Having gone through that experience, I’ve resolved to support my unit in any way I can. As an example, I volunteered to chair the upcoming Texas Vintage Rally that we will again be having in February at Braunig Lake RV Park in the northern part of San Antonio. We are expecting over 100 units this year. Attendance is without regard to WBCCI membership. You don’t have to be a member of anything to attend and participate and each year we have forums folks from all over the country attend. Last year, I believe we had folks from eleven states and one from Alberta, Canada there.
I’m not attempting to minimize the effect that actions such as we are discussing here can have on the organization, but Jim Franklin has been out of leadership for several years. I know the incoming WBCCI president and incoming vice-president as well as our Region 9 incoming president. I cannot believe that they will support this type of strategy. The WBCCI is not the only place where some voices seem out of place from time to time. It also happens here on the forum often due to misinformation, but like I don’t quit reading and participating in the forum because of a post or two that I find whose views I might find to be a little extreme, I don’t plan on terminating my WBCCI membership over the comments or actions of one past WBCCI leader. Like several have stated in previous posts, I intend to be a member of the WBCCI and to do all I can to make it as attractive, as strong and as viable an organization as possible and I‘ll continue to read and contribute to this forum if there is something I think I can add to the discussion in a positive and/or constructive way.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #93

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
Janet, Right on!! I feel the same way, we love the good friends in both WB and the forum. I'm hopefull, with reading the 2020 vision, believe we have to be members to make changes in our units and then up the club ladder. I know the Oregon unit is changing, Glenn flew his pirate flag at the last rally! and we had a happy hour with real refreshments, next will be a kids camp.
I find that, much like our national government, what happens at the top end of the WBCCI has very little to do with your experience at the ground floor. Some people enjoy the politics and getting themselves worked up over it. But overall the sky is still blue, the grass is still green, and there's no reason you still can't have a great time camping with your friends.

If only I had more time to actually participate with the local unit (or the forums rallies this year)!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I did a little poking around to see if I could get a grip on WBCCI money. Other than finding that the dues are $75, nothing. I saw a long list of rallies and meetings that an international officer had attended, but no idea of where the money goes. No clue offered as to whether the MAL dues are shared back out to the units, etc. Can anyone provide a rough outline of where the dues money goes?

Zep
Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Can anyone provide a rough outline of where the dues money goes?
Check the financial report published in the Blue Beret. If that's not enough, you could always request the form 990.

But I'd suggest talking to your Regional President about any budget or expense concerns in a polite and friendly manner. It is always better to start with the assumption that your colleagues are friends, are honest, and are doing their best for the organization.

For the Unit portion of the dues (anything above $55), you need to ask your Unit. Most Units are not of the size that requires public reports but they should have at least basic reports to account for Unit funds and to use for planning purposes.

Note that these requirements for financial transparency (to a limit) are for nonprofit organizations like the WBCCI and not for businesses like these forums.

Membership has responsibilities as well as benefits. Exercise yours in an appropriate manner, please. Step one is knowing what is appropriate.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
Maybe a few visits to the local to see just how family friendly it is will be necessary before a final decision is made.
I highly encourage that you do that.

Give your potential local unit a test drive to see if they look like a good fit. Find out when their next event is and ask if it's OK for you to attend, or even just stop by for a day.

Sort of a test drive...

Dave
Old 07-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Any group or organization is only what you make it. Not voting in one of our government's city, state or national elections only lets the activist fringe take charge. If you don't like the WBCCI's current leadership, get involved at your local level, try out ideas there to entice new members, get them involved, enthusiastic and wanting to stay involved. Let it be known, within the WBCCI and here on the Forums, that you want to continue to contribute at higher levels. I really don't pay very much attention to the senior officers of the club or their politics. I'm too busy enjoying my Texas Highland Lakes unit & Region 9 friends. What little I do know of the newest slate of officers is that they seem to be more interested in listening to "opposing voices", growing the membership and moving the club forward. If what I've read here of Jim Franklin's statements really are true, then I'm quite sure he'll be seen as something akin to a miserable old Nazi and his voice & influence will dissipate & fade away as it very rightly should. The aging process (and the lack of any new AS moho's) will take care of the old style of club leadership, and as their power fades, so will the pomp & circumstance associated with their 1940's & 1950's leadership style.

My cardiologist told me to focus on enjoying my local Airstream friends while that process takes place. Good advise I'm gonna follow.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Lakewood, WA in the summer and Boulder City, NV in the winter , WA / NV
Send a message via AIM to Rick56Safari
Jim Clark wrote: "Does anyone else think it is absurd that a camping club has a "Grievance Committee"?

This led me to think, going off task for a moment, If one has a grievance against the Grievance Committee who would investigate it???
My apologies to anyone grieved by this off task remark.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Hi All, My wife and I are new to Airstreams and the forum as well. I got a newbie question. I figured out what the IBT is, but what is the VAC? It sounds like some type of group that likes camping and has Happy Hours and Pirate Flags? It kind of sounds like fun to me.
Bill
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Hi All, My wife and I are new to Airstreams and the forum as well. I got a newbie question. I figured out what the IBT is, but what is the VAC? It sounds like some type of group that likes camping and has Happy Hours and Pirate Flags? It kind of sounds like fun to me.
Bill
Thats the Vintage group. They like some other Units,FCU, Heart of Texas and some others are the renegades of the WBCCI. You oughta hook up with one of them for some serious fun.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decline, membership, wbcci