Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
VAC=Vintage Airstream Club. Yep, lots of fun!
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #102
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog
Hi All, My wife and I are new to Airstreams and the forum as well. I got a newbie question. I figured out what the IBT is, but what is the VAC? It sounds like some type of group that likes camping and has Happy Hours and Pirate Flags? It kind of sounds like fun to me.
Bill
The VAC, or Vintage Airstream Club, is made up of WBCCI members that own vintage Airstream trailers and motorhomes. Most are comparatively younger and more active, and less formal, than the members that comprise the main part of the WBCCI.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Dang, I learned something new today.

I joined the WBCCI just to support my local Georgia Airstream owned park at "The Top of Georgia" with a few dollars.

I had heard of the WBCCI Vintage Airstream Club, but I just assumed they were an extention of the "old guard" WBCCI, stiff, political, regimented, and never considered actively joining them.

Am I right in understanding that the WBCCI Vintage Airstream Club membership as a whole are more a informal, sometimes racus, group of folks? An informal bunch focused on sharing good food and having a good time by all than with pomp and circumstance?

Please let me know what the WDICC Vintage Club folks are really like.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #104
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC

Please let me know what the WDICC Vintage Club folks are really like.
The smart answer, which is also the best answer, is:
The VAC is comprised of younger members with older trailers, and the main group is the opposite.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
IBT = International Board of Trustees, the "over seeing" board of the WBCCI.

VAC = Vintage Airstream Club, one of the "intra-clubs" within WBCCI - your Airstream must 25 year old or older to be a voting VAC member, but anyone can be a VAC associate member - all it takes is an interest in older Airstreams.

The VAC tends to be made up of younger (and younger in spirit) members than WBCCI as a whole. They are less concerned with rules and more concerned with having fun.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, I don't know about the VAC being made up of younger members per se - they are certainly more spirited! You have to be to be in a vintage trailer where you wonder which rivets popped out over the last day's miles AND you keep a pop-rivet gun and rivets on the ready to replace them when you get to the end of the days travels. Pirate flags - you bet.
The VAC has a different outlook on Airstreaming than (seemingly) the rest of the VAC. BTW - Yes, I am the membership chair of the VAC and I am always looking for new members or subscribers. If you are interested in joining the VAC, send me a PM and I will get you signed up as quick as I can. I don't work on commission either!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, the cat is out of the bag on another recipient of a grievance.... Read about it at SaveWally. It is of course SaveWally's own Leo Garvey. That should not be a surprise. For those who are keeping tabs, it seems odd that candidates running from the floor at Bozeman should get a grievance filed against them. Hmmm - what to think?
So we have 2 grievances revealed at this point... How many more are coming down the pike? Any guesses who filed Leo's grievance????
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Well, the cat is out of the bag on another recipient of a grievance.... Read about it at SaveWally. It is of course SaveWally's own Leo Garvey. That should not be a surprise. For those who are keeping tabs, it seems odd that candidates running from the floor at Bozeman should get a grievance filed against them. Hmmm - what to think?
So we have 2 grievances revealed at this point... How many more are coming down the pike? Any guesses who filed Leo's grievance????
Unless Leo did something dangerous or incredibly rude and insulting at an official function this is foolish.

I think whoever is filing these grievances should "stand down."

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #109
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
It is early, and I'm sleep deprived, but I can't find anything on SaveWally that wasn't there to start this thread. Somebody please help!

Lynn
Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #110
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
Well, I don't know about the VAC being made up of younger members per se - they are certainly more spirited!
The folks in VAC have much the attitudes of the older WBCCI members from the 50' 60's and 70's. Pee Wee, older members, or some of the other 3rd and 4th generation Airstreamers will attest to that. This will come around full circle at some point soon.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
It is early, and I'm sleep deprived, but I can't find anything on SaveWally that wasn't there to start this thread. Somebody please help!

Lynn
Lynn,

Try this: http://savewally.org/forums/index.ph...icseen#msg8219

The last post.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sheesh!!!
Got up this morning, figured on a leisurely cup, and a saunter into ABQ to look around...found this thresd...2 cups, a doggy walk, 3 croissants, and 2 1/2 hours later, I'm just now to here...
We joined our local unit right after joining WBCCI('cause that was what one did), and a year later, joined the VAC...night and day...almost quit WBCCI, but realized that other memberships would fail in the process...Along came the FCU...we are proud charter members, and know how to take our memberships seriously...we have had serious fun, had seriously enjoyable campouts with like-minded folks, have met folks that we knew for years only by their Forums moniker, and will happily shell out the $55 for WBCCI just to continue the privilege of joining the rallies such as we already have. I am so convinced that running for some kind of office is a duty, that I have tossed my beret into the ring for Trailer Trash Queen, 2008. I ask for your support. Maybe the IBT could oversee this and make it an annual event...?
I'M MIKE, AND I SUPPORT THIS AD.
mike

I DO think the discussions here are excellent, if somewhat spirited at times...just what a forums calls for.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
IBT = International Board of Trustees, the "over seeing" board of the WBCCI.

VAC = Vintage Airstream Club, one of the "intra-clubs" within WBCCI - your Airstream must 25 year old or older to be a voting VAC member, but anyone can be a VAC associate member - all it takes is an interest in older Airstreams.

The VAC tends to be made up of younger (and younger in spirit) members than WBCCI as a whole. They are less concerned with rules and more concerned with having fun.
Age is not the issue here. Atitude is. The VAC and the Four Corners Unit and The Heart of Texas Unit and some others are not populated by youngsters. They have people of all ages that focus on enjoying camping together and having a good time. These types of Units down play or ignore the formality some Units enjoy and keep their business meetings very brief or handle it over the internet.

Some folks no matter what age enjoy regulation and rules and they don't enjoy kids, pets or noise. The WBCCI is as it should be broad enough to meet their needs as well as people like me who are just the opposite.

Shop the Units around you and you'll find your kinda people. It took me a while but I found a crazy bunch I fit right into and some of them have gray hair.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sanity is highly overrated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post

Shop the Units around you and you'll find your kinda people. It took me a while but I found a crazy bunch I fit right into and some of them have gray hair.
OUCH!!!
SOME of us(oops, THEM) are happy to have any gray hair, at all...most of it seems to be in my brush, every morning...s'ok, tho', my tiara keeps the strands in place...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
...I am so convinced that running for some kind of office is a duty, that I have tossed my beret into the ring for Trailer Trash Queen, 2008. I ask for your support. Maybe the IBT could oversee this and make it an annual event...?
I'M MIKE, AND I SUPPORT THIS AD.
mike
In that case, read the Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love. It will tell you everything you need to know to win.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Dose anyone else think it is absurd that a camping club has a "Grievance Committee"?
How about a Lost and Found?

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #117
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick56Safari View Post
... If one has a grievance against the Grievance Committee who would investigate it???
My apologies to anyone grieved by this off task remark.
You'd have to ask Juvenal, or maybe Plato.

(I'm not the least grieved )
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #118
Rivet Master

It will never be over!

Problem is this, you have uptight people no matter where you go or what you do life.

Can some WBCCI members be uptight, you bet! Can some WBCCI members that are not "VAC" members be fun as h*ll, you bet!

Can some "VAC" members be fun as h*ll, you bet! Can some "VAC" members be uptight, you bet!

Trust me, I know for a fact there were some "VAC" members that were not real happy with me last year at the International Rally after the stunt I pulled with the "Pirate patch and Sword" during opening ceremonies , while some "older" WBCCI members (non-VAC) thought it was funny and what was needed!

There's good (fun) and bad (uptight)in the WBCCI as a "whole" it does not matter if you are talking about the WBCCI, WBCCI/VAC, WBCCI/Computer Club, etc...

The key is to find the Unit in the WBCCI that best fits "your" needs, if you have a trailer/motorhome older than 25yrs and think the VAC would be fun, give it a try, same with the Computer Club, etc....

This fight will never be over! You will always have some members in a club that "think" they know best. In 5, 10, 15, 20 years some of the members that are fighting this very fight will think "they" know best on how to run the club and you will have younger members saying the samething about them.

Remember, many 40-65 yrs old think their parents are "old fashion" just like their 15-25yrs old children think their 40-65yrs old parents are out of touch too.

Enjoy the fight that can never be won! I'm going camping!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #119
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
We are planning to be a first-timer at Madison. I hope our experience will be similar to the one Jerry had. We just had a couple of days with the advance team for Madison when they stayed at the Airstream Park in MN. Everyone in the group was pleasant and approachable. Did I disagree with them on somethings – yes. Did I agree with others - yes, Does this make me a bad person? I don’t think so. I think it makes me pretty normal. (in some ways..)

I like Paul’s idea, on another thread, to sponsor an event at Madison. Lets show them its not US vs THEM. This forum is made up of a multitude of people with a multitude of ideas and thoughts. I am willing to bet that there are a whole lot of people frequenting the forum that have the WBCCI’s best interest at heart. Some of them may be a bit radical and outspoken. Good for them and good for us. Others may only read the threads. Also good for them and good for us. We need all of these people working together to change the direction of the club.

We have the world’s biggest soap box and all are welcome to voice an opinion. When they get over-bearing I can choose to ignore them. I can accept and discuss any individuals comments as long as they are doing something constructive to change/improve the club.

Lets start by making positive change at the unit level. Get involved. Make your units what you want them to be or find the unit that fits your style. Stay informed. We have a few individuals that have done a good job doing that for us. Pay attention.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
2020 Survey Results have been posted.

Just a FYI but the 2020 Committee results are now posted on the the wbcci.org web site WBCCI.org

It makes for interesting reading, but I think the results are saying the same things this thread has been saying. Changes are needed and membership wants it.

Let not give up on the WBCCI, I believe changes are coming.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decline, membership, wbcci