Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
OK. I'm real interested to see what's out in CA, OR, NV, AZ. We've been considering joining also.
newroswell,

The closest one I recall is in Lacy, WA, near Seattle/Tacoma.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
I think you are starting to see a pattern of WDCU members say the same thing. But it is true. Come out and see for yourself. It will be one of greatest weekends you spend. Jill and I just bought our Argosy in February and went to Cherry Blossom Rally (CBR) as a non member, thinking my wife and I would feel really awkward not knowing anyone. We are not social people but we try. From the moment we showed up everyone was so helpful and nice. It was a great opportunity to see other vintage Airstreams and see what they did to them. Jill and I signed up the moment we got home. I can't wait to go to Installation rally in PA. WDCU is a great group of young and less young and they are a fun group.

With that said, if you still have zero interest in the concept. By all means save the money and don't join. Just because you drive silver does not mean you need the red numbers.

If your free on a buddy rally weekend, sign up for rally and give it a try. Come on how can you pass on experiencing the sea of silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01230.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	82502  
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Outing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Here's the thing, my wife & I are not club, caravan or "group" types.
Aren't you a part of this group?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post

If your free on a buddy rally weekend, sign up for rally and give it a try. Come on how can you pass on experiencing the sea of silver.
Folks who own Airstreams that are not WBCCI members do not have to wait for a buddy rally to attend a WBCCI event. The WBCCI Blue Book is specific in it's direction: Invite non WBCCI Airsteam owners to unit rallies, it's one of the best ways to bring in new members. The NEU gets lots of new members because we promote this feature.

If folks need the exact pages of the Blue Book which outline this directive let me know.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
Folks who own Airstreams that are not WBCCI members do not have to wait for a buddy rally to attend a WBCCI event. The WBCCI Blue Book is specific in it's direction: Invite non WBCCI Airsteam owners to unit rallies, it's one of the best ways to bring in new members. The NEU gets lots of new members because we promote this feature.

If folks need the exact pages of the Blue Book which outline this directive let me know.
I have done this about twenty times now.... Anyone wanting to try the waters, please contact me. I would be glad to get you into a WDCU rally of your choice at no obligation. I will even as a good guy gesture pay your rally fees. That is how worth while I think camping with my unit is.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
monkeypants
Now this is a personal opionion. But I would save your money that you would pay in dues and fees and use it for camping fees and fuel. You are a member of this group and we have rallys. You will meet the great people that align themselves with WBCCI,because alot of them are members here.They only belong to WBCCI because they feel they have to belong,but its not nessessary. We have just as much fun without the dues and rally fees.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
wbcci

Greetings monkeypants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Hi all
Not meaning to be a wise a**, but... why should I join wbcci?
Here's the thing, my wife & I are not club, caravan or "group" types. We got our 'streamer to go, when & where we want. When I'm in camp, I'm as nice as pie, but I'd really rather you left me alone. Don't get me wrong, you ask me for help, I'll do the world. But I don't want to travel with others. We want to pick up and go. That having been said, I feel a sense of guilt for not joining, as this is the group that continues the pride of airstream ownership. Give me your honest insight, please.
Just like RVing, WBCCI membership isn't for everyone. Having grown up with friends of my family who were avid WBCCI members, I always associated Airestream ownership with the WBCCI. Even before I took my coach to the DMV after I purchased it, I was calling the WBCCI headquarters to join. In the years since, I have opted to take out a lifetime membership.

Admittedly, to get the most value from your membership, you need to enjoy caravanning and/or rallying. As a Free Wheeler, I find these to be two of my favorite activites -- and -- over the years my WBCCI friends have become more like family and the International Rally becomes something of a large family reunion. If these very social WBCCI activites do not appeal to you, the WBCCI may not be a good value for you -- I would, however, encourage you to at least attend a buddy rally or two to see for yourself whether the organization may hold something for you. Something to keep in mind regarding rallys and caravans is that you often will be able to gain advantages such as:
  • Special reduced rates for camping. Rallys and caravans often receive special pricing from commercial campgrounds that can be a help to the budget.
  • Whether attending a Rally or joining in a Caravan, you can anticipate that the organizer(s) are familiar with the area and have likely been able to arrange tours and/or other sightseeing opportunities that may not be readily available to those traveling independently -- as well as those local/regional attractions that may not be so well-known but are interesting just the same.
  • While I realize that this doesn't apply for eveyone, a Rally or Caravan may provide the draw that might encourage one to travel to an area that may not have otherwise been considered -- I know that this has worked several times for me creating some very special memories.
With most local units, you will find that you are welcome to choose your level of activity within the unit. I have been a member of the Wisconsin unit for more than a decade, and have attended very few monthly meetings/luncheons -- but I have enjoyed a number of unit Rallys and Caravans. In addition, Intra-Clubs help to broaden the appeal and interest of the club (IMHO), and I have belonged to three for a number of years -- the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC), the Free Wheelers (Single Airstreamers traveling alone), and the Computer Club. Each of the Intra-Clubs tend to have a selection of their own Rallys and Caravans with activities tailored to their membership.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: The WBCCI website has a listing of those Airstream only parks with websites. The listing is about half-way down the page.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
One JOINS a group (Airforums, WBCCI) for a common love, in our case Airstreams.

One STAYS for fellowship.

Go ahead and check out a few local units. Ill bet you will find some pretty cool people there.

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
My wife and I also prefer to travel on our own, but have never regretted our WBCCI membership.

Caravans and rallies are not the only benefits, certainly for us the Washington Unit's Land Yacht Harbor is a superb benefit of membership. In fact our Overlander is there now, and we will be joining it early tomorrow morning for the start of a week long stay on the Oregon Coast. There is something very cool about camping in an Airstream, surrounded by Airstreams. Plus people there understand when the herd of flamingos make their apearance!
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #30
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
monkeypants
Now this is a personal opinion. But I would save your money that you would pay in dues and fees and use it for camping fees and fuel. You are a member of this group and we have rallies. You will meet the great people that align themselves with WBCCI,because alot of them are members here.They only belong to WBCCI because they feel they have to belong,but its not nessessary. We have just as much fun without the dues and rally fees.
I am going to stick my neck way out on the block and make the following statement....
THAT IS TOTAL HOG WASH AND MIKETHEFIXIT IS TALKING OUT A LOWER ORIFICE.

Sorry folks, he just makes that statement over and over and over and will not see first hand what is talking about. I have offered five times to pay his rally fees and even his gas to come to our Cherry Blossom Rally. His own cousin is the president of our unit and has made the same offers.

If you are only a forums member you only have forums rallies, if you also belong to the WBCCI you can go to both have courtesy parking all across the USA and you can go the the Land Yacht Harbors all across the USA.

I do not belong because I feel I need to, I belong because it broadens my possibilities. I belong because my family and I have a great time and we meet some tremendous people at the same time.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am going to stick my neck way out on the block and make the following statement....
THAT IS TOTAL HOG WASH AND MIKETHEFIXIT IS TALKING OUT A LOWER ORIFICE.

Sorry folks, he just makes that statement over and over and over and will not see first hand what is talking about. I have offered five times to pay his rally fees and even his gas to come to our Cherry Blossom Rally. His own cousin is the president of our unit and has made the same offers.

If you are only a forums member you only have forums rallies, if you also belong to the WBCCI you can go to both have courtesy parking all across the USA and you can go the the Land Yacht Harbors all across the USA.

I do not belong because I feel I need to, I belong because it broadens my possibilities. I belong because my family and I have a great time and we meet some tremendous people at the same time.
I agree! It makes no sense to bash an organization over and over again that you have no first hand experience with. Lorrie and I have enjoyed forums rallies, but some WBCCI events even more. It's all what you CHOOSE to make of it. I will admit that some units and rallies may be a better fit you you personally than others, but the great thing about WBCCI is that there are so many choices, I'm sure you can find something you will like. Don't let anyone that has never tried it sway your opinion.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #32
teachernana

2009 20' Flying Cloud
scotts valley , California
Define WBCCI, thanks. (first time on chat)
teachernana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Wally Byam Caravan Club

Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #34
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post
Wally Byam Caravan Club International
Fixed for you. Always wanted to do that for somebody and, well, actually fix the post.

Off topic, but, get your axles done?

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Thanks for the fix and happy to fulfill at least one of your fantasies (ahem, of fixing a post)...

The Squeeze Inn is resting on jacks at this very moment. Axles are on order (Dexters) and we should have a full Monty in a couple of weeks. Huge Kudos to 63Silver and 94Tri - who are essentially doing all of the work while I watch.

Back on track - Most folks seem to re-up memberships to the WBCCI for the camaraderie found in the local units. If you notice most of the groaning and wailing is centered around WBCCI national politics. Most of the fun is found on a grassroots level.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post

Back on track - Most folks seem to re-up memberships to the WBCCI for the camaraderie found in the local units. If you notice most of the groaning and wailing is centered around WBCCI national politics. Most of the fun is found on a grassroots level.
digger bear,

I think that I would change "most" to "all". I don't think that members renew for the national politics, at least I don't.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
digger bear,

I don't think that members renew for the national politics,

Bill
Some people are only happy when they are upset.

I wont cite examples (past the first spouse)...

;-)

Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
We were apprehensive about joining. We are of the "just turned 40" crowd and weren't sure if we'd fit with the retirees. We had visions of being overburdened with rules. My in-laws lived in a retirement community very reminiscent of the "Del Boca Vista" community on Seinfeld. Insane rules and busybodies. Once we were at the pool, and there was a "no drinks" sign. Well, we thought, sure, who wants to risk broken glass around a pool? But we mistakenly thought a plastic bottle of water would be fine. Well, the busybodies were always watching, and instantly someone came out waving arms and shouting "NO DRINKS ALLOWED". Of course, we were in our 20s and defiant (oops, still are....defiant), so my husband said "Hmm....water is illegal around a pool?" and opened the bottle and poured it into the pool! We DESPISE stupid rules, so we were leary of joining WBCCI. Well, we got invited, and decided to attend (Labour Day weekend 2009), but discussed that we would not to join if we noticed any stupid rules (we knew about the "no towels outside" rule, which is odd, but understandable, so I was willing to accept that since we do live in a dry climate--but those towels must really stink up a trailer in humid climates!).

Anyway, it turned out that the people at the Hands Across the Border Rally (Saskatchewan, Alberta, Montana, Washington, etc) were great! They were pretty laid back, but so active! There were tons of activities that you could join in, and they were very interesting. We had guides for the tours, so we learned and did more than average tourists do. You could participate as much or as little as you wanted. No pressure. The Rally fee was very reasonable for what you got. After the second day, we decided that this would be a good community to be a part of, so I went to town to get a money order for the WBCCI fees.

We left our first rally feeling exhausted and so happy. We are glad we met such great people and look forward to seeing them again. We get lots of help from experts on AirForums, but it was nice to talk face-to-face with Airstream owners and have them point out things on our trailer that we didn't know about. We work full time, so it'll be hard to get time off for rallies, but we'll try to get in one per year.

Check out a rally and then decide to join. We definitely didn't get the Del Boca Vista vibe!

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Lisa and Paul,

Was Lauren Carlsen there? We met him in Bozeman, a great guy.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 09-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
I think you may like to go to a rally so never say no. WE campl alone, and on occasiion with a group. Nice to have the options and you may find the magazine has a caravan for you. thus you need to be a member.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote