Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #61
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Palukaville , Delaware
Wally in spin mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Wally just wouldn't like the negative people. He just wouldn't. He was a very positive person, and would find a way to make something better. He would not try to destroy something. There are too many people of little courage to step forward to improve something. It takes little or no thought to be negative or to rip something apart.

You your energies to move forward, instead of backwards.

Shame on all of you that have forgotton how to think positive.
Right.

Shame on all of us for trying to get the attention of a leadership that is interested in doing nothing other than being able to do what they darn well please; after all, they have spent upwards of 15 years "earning" the right to run the organization any way they see fit regardless of what many of the members might want.

I am sure that this is a positive way to run the organization.

Insisting that the people who say "bad things" about the WBCCI are the reason why the organization has problems also is a positive way of running the organization while expressing a view that contradicts what the leaders who have "paid their dues" do is a negative.

Geeesh.

Yes, Wally must be in spin mode; as in "spinning in his grave" to think that something that bears his illustrious name is being degraded in such a fashion.

I cannot help but wonder how much longer Airstream is going to continue to support the WBCCI. They have a very large number of new customers who are not able to find a way to participate in an Airstream supported club that operates in a fashion that fits their lifestyle.

Ah yes, it;s their lifestyle that's the problem and not the club. How negative of me.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Sorry comments

First of all as a family member, it disturbs me every time people use his name. Wally Byam deserves more respect than that. Each time you reference Wally in you negative threads you are insulting him. Yes you are!

I have read enough of the volitle garbage on the Airsforums. Not one of you can forward logical, reasonable and civil solutions to the problems you feel that you have on hand.

Your talk gets no ones attention. It is like the little boy that crys fire in a theater, with 100's hurt and several dead.

I work neither for Airstream or the WBCCI. But I am proud of both of them.

I am quite sure that all of you learned gentlemen and women can do a better constructive job of airing your feelings. Right now you appear to most people that I know in the Club as trash talkers.

Because you apparently understnad the problems, come up with constructive solutions. This thread and the many others will never change anything.

Apparently you just don't get it.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Dale, given that you knew him, how would Wally go about improving the WBCCI? I'm not asking what if he were in charge, I'm asking what if he were simply a member? I can't speak with authority, because I simply wasn't born then, but I'm pretty sure that the WBCCI of Wally's era is in no way, shape or form the WBCCI of today.

In my opinion (and I stress that is only an opinion), what I saw at the 2006 International leads me to believe that it has been run into the ground by people who are bombastic, drunk with imaginary power and take themselves way too seriously. I don't know whether changing the name to AOAI would bother Wally, since he didn't come up with the WBCCI name, but the fact that the "leadership" even entertained the idea disgusted me and made my mind up to leave.

One of the ideas, correct me if I'm wrong, of the WBCCI is to promote goodwill. Trying to run someone off, when they arrive at a buddy rally, or yelling at them to put on their badge or yelling at them for not parking in the correct spot isn't promoting goodwill. It's those initial images that someone gets, when they are contemplating joining, that determines whether they join.

There are so many bad ideas that, it seems, the leadership sanctions and when you're simply a member, you can't make changes. I wanted to be a member of the WBCCI, so that my kids could have some good memories, make friends and get their minds off of their mother, who had just passed away. Being told that my kids were laughing too loud, while they were at the playground during a rally, was just one of the straws that broke the camel's back. If I were to stay in the club, in order to make changes as others suggest, by the time I moved up the ranks and was able to make those changes, my kids would be grown up.

Thanks but no thanks. I want to spend my time making good memories with my family now, not wasting my energy for nothing.

Dale, do we have it all wrong? Has the WBCCI been like this, since its inception? I'd like to think it hasn't.
Your attitude will not change anything. Get with constructive goals, and thoughts.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Glad to see your posting

PeeWee,

Thanks for entering into this conversation, although I respectfully disagree with your "shame" comment. There are Airstream owners who really would like to belong to a viable, robust club, and are probably willing to devote positive energies to making it successful......but, apparently they become discouraged quickly.

Why? To keep my answer "positive".....I postively believe something is seriously broken.

You have a tremendous amount of history, and experience with Airstream. It would be wonderful if you could use your influence to convey the message of change (forgive me for using a political slogan) to the right people within the WBCCI heirarchy......maybe there is a chance that they might listen to you.

I'm not a Wally worshiper, but I recognize him for being a skillful inventor/entrepeneur and his world-class maketing skills. From the hardships that I saw on the old Cape Town to Cairo films, he must have also been a forceful leader. No one could possibly dig sand out of their drawers, for that many days, and call it fun. His caravans put Airstream on the world stage, and created some myths......even today people (somewhat misinformed) look at our Airstreams and refer to them as the "Cadillac" of RVs.

As far as taking the easy route to tearing something apart......my intention was never to tear WBCCI apart.....only to state my personal experiences which led to my decision to not renew my membership. It would have been much easier to "just walk away" as many have done, which should cause WBCCI to wonder "why." Posting on an internet forum opens one up to all sorts of comments, but I took that chance, hoping to have a frank and civil conversation......one that I positively think WBCCI should be paying attention to.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Can we just forget about the WB-whatever for once & keep talking about how I'm a hottie?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
Can we just forget about the WB-whatever for once & keep talking about how I'm a hottie?
Of course we can......now that I know you're a gal. More pics please.....and what was Joe talking about with the tight halter, whatever? Inquisitive minds want to know.

AIR # 22776
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
You aren't the first guy to mistake my gender ... I threatened at one point to show up at a rally in some skimpy outfit & git my picture took for a make-no-mistake-about-it avatar.

How do you think that would go over with the WBblahblah?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Palukaville , Delaware
Right you are, we do not get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post

I have read enough of the volitle garbage on the Airsforums. Not one of you can forward logical, reasonable and civil solutions to the problems you feel that you have on hand.

Apparently you just don't get it.
I must beg your pardon sir, but there have been numerous threads containing numerous posts on this and other forums offering very "logical, reasonable and civil solutions" to the problems that the WBCCI faces.

WE get it just fine.

The people who do not get it are the leaders of the WBCCI and their supporters.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #69
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I've noticed in reading this thread that everyone is blaming the leaders but the truth is the local unit and a few members are the problems. Rules to obey. I bet most of these members are older and afraid to break any rules. I had this happen to me at the international in Salem and I just asked to talk to someone else until I got a person that would help me. The old saying that you get more with honey than vinager is true. But I'm also sure that people will run into that unit that is impossible in their rules. Just like people, some are always negative on everything, and those of us who always look at ways to improve everything.
Our Oregon unit was a rule based unit until 3 years ago. The old guard couldn't find anyone to take over president and we had a young man step up and volunteered. He didn't have time to read the Blue Book so we just started camping, He had 1 phone call and a letter to burn is ears but what were they to do. Our rallies had better attendance then ever, people wanted to get involved This year I'm president and we're having fun. We still want you to wear your name badge so we can remember your name and you can remember our names ( I do forget it 50% of the time, but I'm prez so guess I can't enforce it). So within 1 vote our club changed 180 degrees and so can yours if plan your attact. WBCCI is not for everyone and no one is twisting your arm to join. And yes it cost money, it's a club. Remember, look for the unit that fit's you or get your friends to run for office and change your unit. Or just have fun at your forum rallies , we love the forum rallies we go to. I guess I'm wb/forum love them both.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
A rally of 2 at the beach

I went to church tonight (yeah, don't everybody stumble toward the fainting couch all at once, it will collapse) ... and it reminded me of the whole club issue. People looking for a church would seem to have one thing in common, right? A belief in God or, perhaps even more elementally, a search for the meaning of life. I go for the charismatic or pentecostal sorts so picked one out of the phone book.

I absolutely hated this poor little Bible study. I didn't like that it's a 10-week "course," that we watched a video mostly, that the awkward-and-pretentious-and-yet-unthrilling preacher was trying too hard, striding about in his Birkenstocks while he prayed, laughing too hard at the video minister's jokes about how women react if you don't kowtow to them, just being generally idiotic to my mind.

And the preacher's wife introduced me to the guy as "This is Summer, she's the one who called this afternoon," upon which Preacher Guy shook my hand & mumbled something, then 2 minutes later came by my seat & asked my name again, saying, "It usually takes me a couple times to get it right." Like yeah ..... Summer ... that's a tough one, and there's only 4 people here anyway.

So, all in all, I sat there gritting my teeth & not making eye contact with the preacher every time he turned to the tiny congregation & laughed uproariously at something on the monitor that probably went over his head to begin with. And I was somewhat surprised that no one asked where I was from or why I was visiting their church, or offered any information about their services or ministry. To me, a proper church falls all over a potential pewmate, not to mention -- real human beings should be naturally curious about any newbie in their midst. Not one word, just "Bye -- hope you come back!"

For their part, they probably wondered why this hottie (that's me, you know) in hiking boots sat there squinting skeptically at their video monitor & not laughing at any of the lame jokes. Maybe they thought they'd knocked my socks off with their video & Birkenstocks & wifey jokes.

So there you have the Airstream world, in a nutshell, and my experience at rallies as well. It is the flimsiest of ribbons that ties us together, not even so momentous as a search for the meaning of life. So we have very, very little in common as human beings, and one club is NEVER going to make more than a fraction of us Airstreamers happy.

So does complaining about the WBlahblahCCSomething serve a purpose other than venting? Do you think this little church would have benefited or changed by my telling them that they seemed weird & useless?

Naw, I've just circled another church in the Yellow Pages & moved on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010279 (Medium).JPG
Views:	225
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	89018  
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks

Summer,

You're up very late, or maybe it could be viewed as very early.....depending on one's viewpoint.

I appreciate your explanation of the other threads' references, and look forward to that new Avatar. Nice pic, btw.

Your analogy (religion & club membership) was spot on. For six years, my wife and I rode a Harley all over the U.S. The passion for the product, and associated clubs, was even more intense than this will ever be. Some of it looked like ridiculous school yard antics, but unfortunately violations of club rules and confrontations led to more serious consequences. If one thinks that the WBCCI has false royalty, try approaching (improperly) the President of a 2% MC.

It is a shame that we are so passionate about products, clubs, sports teams, etc.....to the point of arguments/violence......and, yet we sit quietly while the really important things in life pass by.

An Airstream is, after all, just a camping trailer......something which should provide enjoyment to it's owner......sitting in the driveway as jewelry, or bouncing down a rutted backcountry road behind a four-wheel drive with a bunch of kids inside.

I now realize this thread will do little to change hearts and minds, and have some regrets about starting it. In the military we used to call it "peeing into the wind."

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 10-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I concur with you final analysis. Why start a thread with no purpose, other than your personal venting. The people in charge control the rules and will only change them to benefit themselves. Making waves in a small bathtub does not disturb the ocean.

The local units have individual goals and purposes that are entirely theirs. The national organization exists to fill an entirely different set of needs and wants to satisfy a different set of individuals, with the time to use the benefits the national offers. The national may have motivations to also to satisfy the personal needs of the national leaders. It is possible that certain local units or Intraclubs may find their needs are not being addressed at the national level and get so tired of supporting the national coffers that they decide to go another way.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #73
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Summer,

I now realize this thread will do little to change hearts and minds, and have some regrets about starting it. In the military we used to call it "peeing into the wind."

Chief

Ahhh.. so you had an agenda to sway others on their ideas and thoughts to your way of thinking..

Unfortunatly, many people actually have had GOOD to GREAT times with the WBCCI, and will in fact try to help others find a fit if possible. Sometimes, for whatever reason, it can't be done.. Most, near as I can tell, just ignore the stuff at the national level, and enjoy spending time with like minded locals.

One thing I do notice in these recurring threads of this type is the "I tried it once and didn't like it, so it should be done away with" thought train of many posters.

Sure hope people with that mindset never run into a movie they don't like, or food they don't like, etc etc.. after all there's no way it's for them, this whole eating stuff is for the birds..

I don't like or even see the purpose of a LOT of the stuff on TV, but I don't think that means other people should be swayed to my views, I just go and watch something I do like...

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Chief - I am glad you started this thread - By you doing so I have been contacted by a club that seems to fit the bill. It is not in my local area but they meet on weekends too. Not just the Monday to Saturday Be home on Sunday thing. I will be contacting them (I don't know if I can make it there this month but who knows)

Chief - Thanks Again

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
You aren't the first guy to mistake my gender ... I threatened at one point to show up at a rally in some skimpy outfit & git my picture took for a make-no-mistake-about-it avatar.
Do we get to vote on this one???
Hensley Hitch
Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
dread locked

Hey 2 Air
Since you have discontinued membership with the wb internationle that customized beret will likely not be put into service again. I first saw it at the Salem, OR International...... the Jamacian unit edition. If looks could kill you would be dead.

Any chance it could be donated to a beret-less still in good standing member?

It will come in handy the next time I am being stared down on the coffee line by one of the Florida unit donut monitors. (one donut at a time, BUSTER!)

These are some of my most special memories! Yet still sending in dues.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlelWat View Post
HowieE, We are in Eastern PA.(from NJ) and are looking for a WBCCI group to share a beer with. Is the WDC unit in NJ? Merlelwat
Hi, stepping in for my good friend HowieE here. You have a few options regarding local Units. Keystone Unit...see Keystone PA Unit WBCCI » News - Keystone Kourier Sept.

Watchung NJ Unit (Central-Northern)...see WBCCI Watchung Unit

Or...WDCU (Washington DC Unit) - the unique thing about the DC Unit is how the member base stretches from NH to TN. So far they have hosted Rallies in NY State, NJ, PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC. see http://wdcu.wbcci.net/

You can learn more about the Units of Region 2 at WBCCI -- Region 2.

the next event for the Watchung Unit is 'Roadhouse IV' - it is a non-camping/socializing (read eating and drinking) and live music event held at a Roadhouse Bar in Northwestern NJ. i hope this helps sort it out a bit.

--Dave
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #78
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wonder what this thread will be titled next month when someone "tries not to stir it up/ just give their point of view."
Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I must beg your pardon sir, but there have been numerous threads containing numerous posts on this and other forums offering very "logical, reasonable and civil solutions" to the problems that the WBCCI faces.
Unfortunately the positive suggestions have not been heard.

And, what's wrong with venting? That also helps bring change. You can't start the change process without identifying the problems.

People wouldn't vent if they didn't care, but if they are told to be quiet, they will go ever further away and stop caring.

Gene
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #80
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
...Naw, I've just circled another church in the Yellow Pages & moved on.
Man, I wish I was on that beach right now...instead, I'm stuck in the butthole of Texas, in a windowless building with the A/C cranking at 59*. That picture brings back good memories of July 4th at Coos Bay.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Closed Thread