Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Fair and balanced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Joe,

Thanks for your reasoned comments regarding this thread.

I'd like to explore one issue that you have suggested in your post that continues to appear both here and on the WBCCI forums. That being the idea that we need to keep the good and the bad on separate threads. Seems that many think this is crucial and others (myself included) think it is imperative to always offer a balance of good and bad as it exists. In my mind, if the good can't hold up to the burden of the bad this suggests there is room for improvement. Lacking positives can not be improved by concealing the negatives.

I think we should all strive to have our virtues hold up to the scrutiny of our faults... this applies to the WBBCI as with everything else.
All this talk about keeping the bad with the good in every thread sounds a bit righteous and self serving to the ON message group trying to expose the wbcci leadership shortcomings.

And I can assure you EVERYONE now knows about all the problems and are processing their own feelings about staying in, dropping out or whatever. To be reminded in other threads of these problems is getting on the nerves of even sympathic readers.

I think it was a line from Glen Garry Glen Ross where one of the salemen tells another after hearing him oversell on the phone...."YOU ALREADY SOLD IT, NOW STOP TALKING BEFORE YOU BUY IT BACK!!"

And labeling Dale's vintage photos and memories as wbcci propaganda is a reach. These collections where his memories from the golden days of travel trailers, caravans and ralles.

Bad form to lay out bait in his thread for the anti clubbers to jump in. You can decide who set the bait and who took it. This approach will not bring people together....only drive more wedges.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
And I can assure you EVERYONE now knows about all the problems and are processing their own feelings about staying in, dropping out or whatever.
Really? Then why is the WBCCI still getting away with it? My feeling is that a relative very few people know what is going on. As a matter of fact, I know of one unit President that has admitted to being in the dark.

We will know that enough people are aware when we start seeing positive change... so far the direction continues toward the negative. At least as I see it.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Dues increase has nothing to do with it...I want to know why people that love their local unit and say that this is the source of "fun" can justify paying their membership dues (no matter what the amount) to a national organization that gives little or nothing back to the unit.
Jason - The "fun" I get from my Texas Highland Lakes Unit (Central Texas) means far more to me than any amount of money I am forced to pay into the WBCCI and unfortunately thus into the EC7. In my reality, the dues are chump change when balanced against the real fun and true friendships I've enjoyed within my unit. I pay the dues because I HAVE TO in order to continue to enjoy those friends as often as I can.

Do I agree with or in any way support EC7 & the Regional Presidents who are blindly following the EC7 to the vary face of the precipice? NO I DO NOT , and I have consistently said so here on the Forums. What I have done is encourage non-members to attend any local rally to learn 1st hand about the fun & friendships to be had and NOT make their join / not join decisions based on what they read here on the Forums .

I do not feel my recommendation (above) to an Airstream owner who is not a WBCCI member is in any way contradictory with the attempt to force the EC7 to be made accountable for their fiscal & managerial misconduct, both of which I feel are tearing the very heart out of this wonderful Club.

There is NO QUESTION of the signifigant historical value of the memories & photos Dale (Pee Wee) shares with us all. I think most Airstreamers are totally unaware of Dale's position on these issues. And that is as it should be. It is simply WRONG to attempt to shame Dale into speaking one way or another on these issues or to read any implications into his chosen silence. He's earned that right.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
It is simply WRONG to attempt to shame Dale into speaking one way or another on these issues or to read any implications into his chosen silence.
I don't think anyone has attempted to "shame" Dale into offering his opinions in any way.

I also think that Dale has been anything but silent on his position as an unabashed promoter of the WBCCI.

All many of us ask for... is the opportunity to offer balance to the discussion.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #45
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Frank,
I hope you enjoy TAC - I won't be joining.

Goodbye.
Thank you, I have a feeling I and many others will be enjoying the Airstreamer's Club a great deal. You are always welcome to join us any time you wish. Membership is open to all and has zero restrictions or stipulations associated with it. It is about camping and having fun in our Airstreams.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
How many of you kolks that are NOT going to renew your membership becauce of the lack of financel responsibility by the IBT that brought on the dues increase have sent a Email to the WBCCI office telling them you are NOT going to renew next year?
I have and so should you.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe this thread should be attached to the Argue Thread. Is anyone accomplishing anything here?

Gene
Old 02-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #48
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Maybe this thread should be attached to the Argue Thread. Is anyone accomplishing anything here?

Gene
Are so.

OTOH, maybe it could be attached to the does anyone carry water from home thread, that one doesnt have anything to do with the original post anymore either.......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #49
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
OTOH, maybe it could be attached to the does anyone carry water from home thread, that one doesnt have anything to do with the original post anymore either.......

Rodney, thanks for carrying my water.

Gene
Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Water has many forms, whether or not the wind is blowing...I really don't think that the attitude of IBT is in question here, as the return on investment is an emotional issue...FRIENDSHIPS are involved(for some reason), and they can't be bought...my dues are paid for the year, but I feel that too little-too late is the coming attraction, but it isn't very attractive to me...do you give up your friends for a principal, or give up your principals for a friend...??? Tough decision...I would prefer to believe that the friendships would overcome the conflict, whatever the individual decides...but, then, I'm ignorant, snide, immature, and otherwise undesirable...what do you expect?
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
Punxsutawney , Pennsylvania
Actions speak louder than words

The last several weeks of arguing back and forth about all the IBT, WBCCI, and TAC stuff has made me conclude that there are two groups here with irreconcilable differences. Others recognized that fact before I did, and did something about it. I respect everyone’s right to disagree and argue both sides of a point, but I’ll have more respect for someone who is also willing to step forward a DO SOMETHING about what he is complaining about. Several have done that, and more than one has been reprimanded for it. It appears to me right now, that calls for change in the WBCCI are falling on deaf ears. Yelling louder at them just seems to be hardening their resolve to not listen. Fortunately, for all of us, we are only talking about a trailer club here, which in the grand scheme of things doesn’t hold much significance. For those fed up with WBCCI politics and irresponsible money spending, there is a new alternative in TAC. I’m glad those guys not only complained, but did something! I can hope that TAC does well, and considering the premise of the club, and some of the folks trying to make it a success, I am most hopeful that it will. So now there are two different groups of leaders with different ideas on how to run a Airstream Club. Maybe one will overshadow the other, maybe one will fail, maybe they will coexist ….but for me, it makes me happy that I am free to chose which one (or both) I want to camp with. If people want to give money to a small group of folks who spend it irresponsibly, that’s our right to chose to do so. If you don’t want to, then don’t! I’m sure the dues increase will get people’s attention. If you want to make sure people in the WBCCI know the facts, then maybe somebody should mail a “fact sheet” to all the members. Preaching it here on this thread is not going to reach the “core” of the club. Armchair critics are not going to accomplish anything. At least Frank is out there working up an alternative. When he wants to see a better rally, he gets up in the morning and cooks everyone breakfast. (Thanks, Frank!) Actions speak louder than words!

PUNXSY GT
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxsy GT View Post
The last several weeks of arguing back and forth about all the IBT, WBCCI, and TAC stuff has made me conclude that there are two groups here with irreconcilable differences. Others recognized that fact before I did, and did something about it. I respect everyone’s right to disagree and argue both sides of a point, but I’ll have more respect for someone who is also willing to step forward a DO SOMETHING about what he is complaining about. Several have done that, and more than one has been reprimanded for it. It appears to me right now, that calls for change in the WBCCI are falling on deaf ears. Yelling louder at them just seems to be hardening their resolve to not listen. Fortunately, for all of us, we are only talking about a trailer club here, which in the grand scheme of things doesn’t hold much significance. For those fed up with WBCCI politics and irresponsible money spending, there is a new alternative in TAC. I’m glad those guys not only complained, but did something! I can hope that TAC does well, and considering the premise of the club, and some of the folks trying to make it a success, I am most hopeful that it will. So now there are two different groups of leaders with different ideas on how to run a Airstream Club. Maybe one will overshadow the other, maybe one will fail, maybe they will coexist ….but for me, it makes me happy that I am free to chose which one (or both) I want to camp with. If people want to give money to a small group of folks who spend it irresponsibly, that’s our right to chose to do so. If you don’t want to, then don’t! I’m sure the dues increase will get people’s attention. If you want to make sure people in the WBCCI know the facts, then maybe somebody should mail a “fact sheet” to all the members. Preaching it here on this thread is not going to reach the “core” of the club. Armchair critics are not going to accomplish anything. At least Frank is out there working up an alternative. When he wants to see a better rally, he gets up in the morning and cooks everyone breakfast. (Thanks, Frank!) Actions speak louder than words!

PUNXSY GT
PUNXSY GT

Well said; I couldn't have said it better. Very respectful of both sides.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
You have to make your own fun,no matter what club your involved with.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:

??SNIP//
All many of us ask for... is the opportunity to offer balance to the discussion.
That there is the crux.

Why do you have to add your opposing view? Why not let people enjoy them selves without insisting your view of the current club be shoved into a conversation about the WBCCI 50 years ago?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Why do you have to add your opposing view?
Because people come to these forums for accurate and useful information about Airstreams and Airstreaming.

A discussion that is purposefully restricted to offer only one point of view is nothing more than propaganda.

BTW, the conversation was about a PeeWee's historical perspective on how todays members should approach experiencing the club. The counter that was offered by others (not me) was that the current club leadership are diverting funds away from the original goals of Wally and Helen (as described by PeeWee) to be used for their own benefit.

This is information that all members and prospective members should know... as unappealing as it might be.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #56
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Punxsy GT. I agree 100%. We now have 2 clubs and I will belong to both and also the forums NW streamers. So lets pick our poison, stop WBCCI bashing and move on with camping.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #57
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Can we have an Airstream piñata with blue numbers on it at a future TAC rally?

Metaphorical bashing with a bat is soooo cathartic.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I'd rather bust one with red numbers on it, if the heritage continues to be sullied...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #59
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I was being sarcastic.....damn computers

When are they going to have computers that convey these kinds of things?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Because people come to these forums for accurate and useful information about Airstreams and Airstreaming.

A discussion that is purposefully restricted to offer only one point of view is nothing more than propaganda.

BTW, the conversation was about a PeeWee's historical perspective on how todays members should approach experiencing the club. The counter that was offered by others (not me) was that the current club leadership are diverting funds away from the original goals of Wally and Helen (as described by PeeWee) to be used for their own benefit.

This is information that all members and prospective members should know... as unappealing as it might be.
The discussion on the thread was about a mostly forgotten Caravaner who crossed the equator in a bra and panties. I would have liked to learn more about him and the other personalities involved.

These caravaners of 50 years ago are not really related to the current clubs antics. It seems though that anytime the club comes up in any fashion. A group has to bash. Sorry but it seems pretty petulant.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Closed Thread