Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 PM   #121

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Shoot, slip of the fingers! Sorry about that, sometimes they get ahead of my brain!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:47 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Need I really say that logo is CRAP! Maybe I don't need to say that logo is CRAP!

You folks want to trade in Wally for THIS logo and THIS name?

Wally Byam Adventurers' Club here I come!! Who can put me in touch with the family? I want to get permission to use Wally's name!

Hey Steph -- how'd Lou work his way into this one? Yeah I know -- where's that edit button when you need it!

__
Could we have a virtual crap club??? Our logo could be a turd with rivits.--Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #123
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs up WBCCI New Name/Logo

I like the proposed new name, "AOA" and graphic, except I think the AS in the graphic should be either a small vintage unit or a more modern smaller CCD. Apparently the super tubes aren't that popular with the new buyers.

Of course the Basecamp should be included. Why is that even aquestion?

The name change alone won't make much difference, but it's a step in the right direction.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
But gee

I'm old with a new Airstream, doesn't anyone want me? -sniff- I want to play too!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:15 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Mike:

I recently held a seance with Wally and he instructed me to use his name for this new free-spirited club.
Hey! In all seriousness... Airstream Free Spirits! Howz zat!!!!??? I like it! Or for the ghost hunters out there, how about In the Spirit of Wally Byam! Big grin!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
AOA, I guessed that was what it was going to be back on Post 81. I don't care for it. So, with AOA, I guess the Base Camp will be allowed. The lady at WBCCI said right now it wasn't allowed at WBCCI...that they were going to vote in Jan to allow it or not....but if it is AOA, how can in not be allowed, it has the name Airstream on it, right?

I still like WBC...Wally Byam Caravanners!
My brother already belongs to the AOA - The American Optometric Association. I have no interest in joining the AOA - I avoided medicine as a career for a reason. I think "Airstream Owners Association" is perhaps the weakest of the new names proposed for the WBCCI. I don't like it one bit.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
How can that be a mandate???

Did I read correctly????

Only 17% responded???

And a 'majority' of that 17% said to change the name.

This is a mandate????

Please tell me that the folks 'at the wheel' did not take that as a mandate?!?

That is like 8 1/2% max!!! of the paid membership.

This is getting more and more rediculous, the more info that comes out.

Seriously?!?!?

Is Allen Funt and Candid Camera hidding behind a curtain somewhere??

Oh brother...

This is getting wierder and wierder....

8 1/2 % of a group is NOT a mandate to DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! except ask more questions....!

Arg!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #128
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I love that graphic!

Quote:
I'm not a graphic arts pro -- in fact I'm just a photoshop hack -- not even an advanced hack. The club could have played with logos and the like had they wanted. I like that Indiana Jones look, or comic book look. I think it fits with vintage, but here's a globe (if a globe IS in) that I'm sure a pro could create something neat out of. Of course we'll probably be looking to do this for a NEW club. Could someone play taps please? A virtual taps would do...
I don't know the other graphic styles you mention. Are they posted here? But I do know I love this one of yours. May I have a high resolution file of it for my personal use? Great job!

And I'd be happy to take my chances of being taken advantage off. Thanks for the welcome. su casa mu casa

photography
Old 12-18-2005, 12:38 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Okay, I've held my tongue long enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Who knows how many people are currently in the club?
It's published in the September 2005 issue of the Blue Beret that were 8,258 total memberships for the year 2005.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I'm wondering just how many votes 17% is.
The 17% figure stated was the response to the Blue Beret questionaire, not the actual vote. I personally participated in the voting process as President of the Denver Unit and it's Delegate to the International Rally. The way it works is:

Each Unit is to have at least two general member meetings each year. These can be held at either a luncheon or rally. One of the main purposes of these meetings is to discuss items that are being brought up for vote at the Regional or International level. All Unit members are to be notified of the date & time of this meeting via mail or the Unit newsletter at least 30 days prior to the meeting date. A quorum of at least 15 members must be present in order to have an official vote on the isues presented.

At this general meeting the president has the list of items that have been submitted and brought up for an upcoming vote. All members are free to participate in the discussion of each item and voice their support or displeasure. Then a unit vote is taken for each issue. If there is a split vote, say 75% 'for' vs 25% 'against' this is applied to the total number of votes the unit gets. For example, lets say a unit has 100 members, it will get 100 votes for the delegate to cast. If 60 members show up for the general meeting and the vote is 45 to 15 on an issue, the delegate will vote 75 'for' and 25 'against' the issue at hand, the same percentage as the members present. The president (or delegate) takes the unit's vote to the International Delegates meeting. This gives opportunity for all members to be represented with the exception of 'At Large Members' which are not associated with a unit, thus don't have a way to be counted.

At the delegates meeting, on highly contested issues (like the name change) each unit's delegate is asked how there unit would like their votes cast. It is the obligation of the delegate to cast their unit's votes as predetermined by their unit.

It really is a very similar voting process to our national process...does every person vote? No. Does everybody have an opportunity to be heard and vote? Yes. BTW, what's the typical turnout to a Presidential Election these days???? The only way to be heard, effect change and to vote is to be involved at a unit level. Read your Blue Beret & newsletters, I know they're not as captivating as a magazine or the forum, but they are the communication tools that are available to all members.

<stepping down from my soapbox now>

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:33 AM   #130
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Aoa

For what it's worth, I went to Google, entered AOA and selected "I'm Feeling Lucky". This is what I got http://www.aoa.gov/

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #131
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
For what it's worth, I went to Google, entered AOA and selected "I'm Feeling Lucky". This is what I got http://www.aoa.gov/
Now there's an approriate name!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #132
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Coupla things came to mind today as I musing this whole thing over...
First.... how many actual members, or how many Airstream owners, actually caravan? C'mon.... somebody take a stab at the precentages! And think about how appropriate it is to include something in the name that pertains to so few people.
Second.... what, exactly, do I get for my 'paltry' seventy dollar dues? A membership card, a set of numbers to deface my unit with, and a 'magazine' everyone complains about as being too little too late!
Trust me, it is going to take more than a nmae and logo change to get me to pony up dues. Although, I am looking forward to the time we have a real vintage unit and then I may join whatever the h* they call the primary club just to be elegible for the VAC!!
What does WBCCI offer me of real value, I don't already get from this forum?
Fun, friends, knowledge, lore, information, all in a diverse mix!
I've heard the dues mentioned as not a lot of money, but it seems high to me, used as I am to thirty dollars or less annual dues to the clubs I belong to, (many are $20 or under!) and many now offering life memberships for two to three times the cost of WBCCI annual dues!
Seventy dollars is enough to make me question the value... the payback ratio if you will.
Just some musings today.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-18-2005, 02:01 PM   #133
3 Rivet Member

Another aspect of the name change business. I think I saw in a BB or some other WBCCI document a while back the cost involved in changing the name. Changing flags, changing stationairy, changing logos etc etc. That gets to be pretty expensive. Some people seem to think a name change would increase awarness, and bring more people into the organization. Has/was any realistic study done to determine the potential impact on recruitment and retention? Would there be enough of a difference to make the expense of a name change worth it? Even if there was a significant membership increase, would it be ongoing, would the new members stay? I personally doubt it. Name change doesn't get to the real issues that cause problems. Unless those are addressed it won't make much difference what the organization is called. I would much rather see the money that would have to be spent on changing everything to comply with a new name be used to address and solve the real problems of the organization. Not with more quick fix ideas but real, solid, thouroughly researched, planned and implemented solutions.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #134
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks!

Looking good. I like the the entire set. As someone posted before, grab up the memorabilia, these may become a collectable very soon!

Quote:
I'm posting it again. I have it in high-res now. I thought it would look better with the line drawing of a '55 trailer. I couldn't find one so created something out of one of those collectables. It looks just okay at this size -- it looks like crap full size.

You can have it any way you want it. With or without trailer, Wally in Blue, or Wally in Red...

__

photography
Old 12-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Go Caravanners

Wally would be proud! I say bring back the Caravanner - the club's newpaper. So, who's making up the stickers?
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 AM   #136

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
Steph it is good to query this forum. But, the majority of the WBCCI does not participate in this forum, sad but true.
You will get a good sampling of this forum, WBCCI members and non- members).

Remember that the majority, as you are very aware, is typically the retired bunch who either are computer illiterate or are traveling and do not take the time to participate in cyber space. (I so envy that!)
I think you will get a decent sampling of WBCCI members who are Cyber savvy but it will be such a small sampling that I do not believe it conveys the thoughts of the majority of the WBCCI.

The issue was put up for a vote amongst the members at each local unit (now that is a sampling of the majority of the WBCCI) and it was voted to change the name.

If I am not mistaken, I suspect that your local unit voted on the issue. Respectfully, If you recall, what was the decision of your local unit?

Smily
You posted this in the poll thread, but I thought I would answer it over here so we could discuss it. You make valid points.

I'll start with my unit. I believe we voted to include the Airstream name in the club. I voted that way. I regret it now if our choice is the AOA. Others I have talked to in the unit seem to feel the same, that it is a shame to change it so drastically and lose all the history behind the old name.

The other thing is the attitude that the officers aren't computer savy and that this poll and discussion won't mean anything to them. I think that's just a poor attitude. Maybe it won't mean anything to them. But I think a lot of time the younger members use that as an excuse to not get involved at all. 'They won't care what we say, so why bother?' Read the posts, people are genuinely passionate about this subject. Maybe they're in the minority and the vote has been taken and that's just the way it is. But if we let apathy sink in, kick back and do nothing, and feel like we're not involved, then who wins then? The club loses, because if people don't feel like they can even be heard, or that they dare not speak up, or that no one cares if they do, then they lose the connection to THEIR club, and then what's to keep them involved? Nothing, and that's just another reason why the club is dying.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #137
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Olympia , Washington
WBCCI Name Change

You may recall from past postings that I chair the WBCCI Name Selection Committee. The committee has completed its study, the report has been forwarded to the Board of Trustees and they will vote on the recommended choices on 13 January at the Winter Board Meeting in Anthony, TX.

Now ya all pay attention - - Please!! The Board vote is to recommend the new name and logo to the membership! The membership (!) votes on the name through whatever means a Unit has for voting (normally a unit membership meeting in the spring), and sends their delegate to the International Rally in Salem to cast its votes accordingly. Members-at-Large don't get a vote, so if you are an MAL and want to officially express yourself, you need to join a unit.

For those of you who want to maintain the name, I point out that at the last delegates meeting (meaning membership), the vote of the MEMBERSHIP was 5 to 1 to change.

The name we are proposing is the Airstream Owners Association, Incorporated. (Have to include Inc. for legal reasons) We'd use AOAI as initials. It best define who and what we are: An Association of people who own Airstreams.

Cost? Our current estimate is $21,300 at the International Level. It will vary at the Unit level. The biggest expense there will probably be how many Unit officer flags the unit elects to change ($57 ea). Incorporated Units will also have to change their Articles of Incorporation in their state - - no more than $50. We would Grandfather as much as possible, like Past Presidents flags and issue stick-on decals of the new logo for existing membership badges.

I fully expect this will be passed at the Board meeting. The Blue Beret will have articles explaining the rational for the name selection and logo and mailings will also go to Unit presidents for their use in informing unit members and help in making their individual decisions.

R.B. Bernd
WBCCI #1990
1st VP, Region 10
rnzbernd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #138
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnzbernd
You may recall from past postings that I chair the WBCCI Name Selection Committee. ......

Now ya all pay attention - - Please!! The Board vote is to recommend the new name and logo to the membership! The membership (!) votes on the name through whatever means a Unit has for voting (normally a unit membership meeting in the spring), and sends their delegate to the International Rally in Salem to cast its votes accordingly. Members-at-Large don't get a vote, so if you are an MAL and want to officially express yourself, you need to join a unit.

For those of you who want to maintain the name, I point out that at the last delegates meeting (meaning membership), the vote of the MEMBERSHIP was 5 to 1 to change.
With all due respect... Many forum member ARE members and attached to units. The problem here, IMHO, is that there is an enormous disconnect between the leadership of the WBCCI and the members. The future of the club is it's younger members and quite frankly, it seems that their opinions are being ignored. Changing the name will not change the fact that the club has a culture of stuffy, 50's, practice and it simply does not appeal to or attract younger members.

Change comes hard and for the WBCCI to survive it must change, but changing the name is not going fix what's broke!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #139

1968 17' Caravel
RB, first off, thanks for posting here. I think it's great to have the input of someone who's actually involved in the changes.

So what if people decide they don't like the AOAI recommendation? Is it possible it won't pass at international and the committee will have to re-convene and come up with a new suggestion?

One thing that bothers me about the WBCCI is that it seems whenever there's a vote, there's only one option to vote for.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:38 AM   #140

1968 17' Caravel
Perhaps if the WBCCI becomes the AOAI, the VAC would like to take over being the WBCCI? How's that for confusing!