Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #701
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Email from HQ

WBCCI Members,

At the June 30, 2011, Delegates Meeting, unit delegates will be asked vote on the Revised Constitution for WBCCI. For unit discussions with your delegate, please read the following links:

Letter to the Unit Presidents
WBCCI President Norm Beu Motion
Guide to Proposed Constitution Revison
Constitution Revision Summary in three columns
Constitution and Bylaws Committee Recommendation and Legal Response

Questions about the Constitution revision may be addressed to the committee directly at wbccirevision@gmail.com. The Revision Committee is ready to answer your questions.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #702
Peg

1974 31' Excella 500
Broadview , Montana
Boy, I've read this entire thread hoping I would have a clue...and I don't.
It seems people want to leave/have threatened to leave/or have gripes about WBCCI.

It seems WBCCI is spending monies that should be going to events/rallies on themselves?
It seems there is a grumbling within WBCCI not to recognize our old (vintage) Airstreams? They are what Airstream is ...

I am totally confused on which organization I should belong. I know when we purchased our Excella 8 or so years ago, the numbers were scratch off....I asked the gentleman why he didn't belong to the "club." He only shook his head and mumbled something.

Is the WBCCI a big political machine where there are rules not having anything to do with camping in the most durable "camper" in the world?

I just sent a note to the area chapter of WBCCI saying I wanted to join...now I don't know what to do... I do know we flash our headlights ay any Airstream coming the opposite direction...there is camaraderie there...

I'm proud to be an owner of an Airstream and feel very fortunate to have one.
I don't know that I want any part of political battles...there's enough of that charade going on in Washington D.C. My only reason for joining would be to attend and if necessary contribute (volunteer) in an event.

I wouldn't want to have to attend a specific number of events per year nor have to attend any particular event in order to qualify as an "official". I get this sentence from someone mentioning that someone shouldn't be a VP or P because they had never attended a national event.... Yes, it would be a good idea to have witnessed a national event, but isn't being a Streamer or wanting to be a Streamer with plans of becoming a Streamer the most important thing keeping both Airstream, Inc functioning and most of us sane by camping?
CanoeCalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #703
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Each Local unit has a unique personality. There are other groups like the VAC and people who just participate in National caravans. They also are unique. The "International group" are the people who attend the Internationals and run them. Some people belong to more than one group. I would suggest you attend a couple of your local events and see if you like what they are doing. If so, join. The $65 you send to the International is your cost of admission. You have no control of how they spend it. You do not need to get involved in all the rules and politics at the International level, if you do not want to. If you have the time, take some national caravans. They are worth the cost of admission alone. If you have a vintage unit and go to an International, consider parking with VAC, they are a more fun group and younger than the rest of the club.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #704
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeCalm View Post
It seems WBCCI is spending monies that should be going to events/rallies on themselves?
Those issues are trying to be addressed in new set of Bylaws which should help correct that.

Quote:
It seems there is a grumbling within WBCCI not to recognize our old (vintage) Airstreams?
Not sure why you see that.

Quote:
Is the WBCCI a big political machine where there are rules not having anything to do with camping...
I don't know that I want any part of political battles...there's enough of that charade going on in Washington D.C.
No you jumped into a thread that is political for the most part, most members are uninterested in these issues.

Quote:
My only reason for joining would be to attend and if necessary contribute (volunteer) in an event.
great do it

Quote:
I wouldn't want to have to attend a specific number of events per year nor have to attend any particular event in order to qualify as an "official".
No such requirement or status

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
You have no control of how they spend it.
Well Dwight, that may not be correct if the Revision is adopted that will change for sure.

Quote:
If you have a vintage unit and go to an International, consider parking with VAC, they are a more fun group and younger than the rest of the club.
Yep

Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #705
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Bob we implore you please show us your bylaws that will fix all that. We will get behind you and support you, if we like what we see. The club has a $300,000 overhead cost. $200,000 of it is for the "girls" at HQ. We can not change that. $100,000 is for Officer's travel expenses. I do not think they will accept less and remain officers. How many people will still get travel expenses after we adopt your new Constitution and Bylaws? I notice you have used the weasel word "may" in your last response.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #706
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
i would not belong to any club that would have me as a member....oh wait wrong thread, sorry.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #707
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Bob we implore you please show us your bylaws that will fix all that. We will get behind you and support you, if we like what we see.
Quote:
The club has a $300,000 overhead cost. $200,000 of it is for the "girls" at HQ. We can not change that. $100,000 is for Officer's travel expenses. I do not think they will accept less and remain officers. How many people will still get travel expenses after we adopt your new Constitution and Bylaws?
It still amazes all of us on the committee that a few folks just can't grasp the fact that the Bylaws can't finished until any and all amendments to the proposed Constitution are adopted.

If we were to spend all the time necessary to revise the bylaws at this time and just one amendment was made to constitution it may cause that draft bylaws to be significantly re-written.

Now if several amendments are made as we expect, any such draft would be useless, the time taken to do that wasted.

How's this, paint the wall, but the sheetrock isn't nailed up?

Second point - you said "We will get behind you and support you". What if I told you that there is a way for the members to essentially write the bylaws, a one time only opportunity to do so forever.

Quote:
The club has a $300,000 overhead cost. $200,000 of it is for the "girls" at HQ. We can not change that. $100,000 is for Officer's travel expenses. I do not think they will accept less and remain officers. How many people will still get travel expenses after we adopt your new Constitution and Bylaws?
Yes and the dues income is about 340K, so we mostly agree we think the travel expense is an issue, correct?

You (the members can change it see point two.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #708
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Sounds very much like Polosi. A pig in a poke. You have to pass it to find out what is inside it. Trust us we may make you happy; but don't hold us to it.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #709
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
alright i'm a total newby here. we just bought an AS, and went to a rally. we instantly fell in love with the people we met there and had a blast! i said "how do we join?" found out it was 65 or 66 buck something like that, a dollar of which was the dues of group we were with. the other 60 something went to Wcbi bbci...whatever. i was told that's the national AS club. so i guess my question is what do they have to do with me wanting to meet up with these folks i just had such a great time with? what is that 60 something dollars paying for exactly? from what little i could bear to read on this thread it sounds like some damned hoa or harper valley pta b.s. what gives? please help me understand. i have an airstream. i love these these trailers. i love camping. meeting up with others who share the same interests is great fun. damn those who feel the need for all the rules and regulations! to those i would say find yourself a nice little gated community that you feel safe in, join the hoa, make up some rules, police the neighborhood, but do the rest of us a favor and stay home! it's a sad state of affairs when camping becomes this political and to those of you who have made it this way....shame on you!
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #710
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Yes and the dues income is about 340K, so we mostly agree we think the travel expense is an issue, correct?

This is a big issue. Not so much that they are getting reimbursed for necessary travel, but rather how much is really necessary?
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #711
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
You have to pass it to find out what is inside it. Trust us we may make you happy; but don't hold us to it.
No you don't --- Not what I said at all!

please read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
This is a big issue. Not so much that they are getting reimbursed for necessary travel, but rather how much is really necessary?
Rick the big issue is do you want it to up to them how much that is (as it is now) or the members (thru the Revision)?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #712
Rivet Master

Dwightdi,

Your concerns are very much like mine, but I'll add another one. We are said that the "Member Caucus" is a great thing.

But when asked, "Who has control over when, where and how these meetings are scheduled?"

You're told "That's in the Bylaws".

So one has to ask the question.

Why in the world would I vote for a system that I have "NO IDEA" When, Where, How and by Whom will control these meetings?

And to be told "It's in the Bylaws". Guess "who" controls the "Bylaws" in the "New Constitution"? That's right, the IBT.

Now I know the reply back will be, "That's why we need to push to get the New York Metro Amendment" added to the "New Constitution". At this point and time I think some mebers of the New York Metro Unit have done enough towards changes to the WBCCI. Let me see, there was getting on board DW, taking over DW, dropping DW, getting a member to the "Revision Committee", now amendments to the "New Constitution". Right.

I was born at night, but not last night!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #713
Rivet Master

What's up in the Revised Constitution that there is no provision for an International Treasury Annual audit? Please don't anyone give the reason for it being covered in the new Bylaws if the Constitution is passed. The more and more this excuse is use, the more I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ seeing the Wizard exposed when Toto pull the curtain away hiding the Wizard who is shown pulling levers.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #714
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
In my very humble opinion, and that's all it is, a very few rabble rousers are ruining a very good organization over pettiness and envy. None of them are running for office and probably never will. They just like to cause turmoil. I could even name them cause its been going on for years.

The Officers are hardly reimbursed for all their expenses. They do get some expense money which I think is fair. They do in fact arrive early at rallies and stay till they're finished. They put up with all the BS of these radical few, which I think no amount of re-reimbursement would compensate for.

To compare this to a HOA is quite accurate. Most of these rabble rousers are folks who I would not want as friends. If they can't find an old subject to bitch about, they'll invent a new one. They ruin any fun and camaraderie that did exist in the club. They use this forum as their weapon. They remind me of the neighborhood gossips and the ones that pack the council meetings bitching about everything in general.

In reality they function out of envy. They hate the officers because they mostly drive Motorhomes, (how dare they), and have the time to put into the job. The fact they are even willing astonishes me. I wouldn't!

I quit the WBCCI years ago because of all this. Also because they demanded I become an officer and I did not have the time. That turned into a nasty time for us, including snubbing at parties and rallies. I will probably never rejoin.

The problem is that not too many members do have the time to serve. It takes a lot of time. That makes it very difficult to get new officers, and the same officers end up serving over and over. It's a real problem and I recognize that, however if one doesn't have the time then that is that.

I check in on this forum from time to time to see if anything has changed, and it has not. If anyone asked me my opinion on the club I would say join and ignore the politics. There are some very nice folks to camp with, but stay away from the rabble rousers. If you need an example of their behavior, just go to a city council meeting.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #715
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Coloradobus,

I was told that this provision has never been enforced, at least as a accounting professional or business person would define "audit" and that an independent audit would cost too much. Therefore the requirement was eliminated.

But then this discussion should probably take place in the new constitution thread, so as to not hijack this thread.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
What's up in the Revised Constitution that there is no provision for an International Treasury Annual audit? Please don't anyone give the reason for it being covered in the new Bylaws if the Constitution is passed. The more and more this excuse is use, the more I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ seeing the Wizard exposed when Toto pull the curtain away hiding the Wizard who is shown pulling levers.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #716
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
The info I got in person from a committee member is that the cost of an audit by an outside firm is many thousands of dollars. That the idea was to do it every 3 or 4 years and use an internal review in between.. Doesn't sound that unreasonable to me.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #717
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I throw my support behind "the radical few "who I believe are truly concerned about saving the WBCCI , The club that has lost 80% of it's membership over the last 34 years. The radical few are still dues paying members.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #718
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Throw away. They are also causing a lot of people to leave.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #719
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
This subject has been discussed, a Review Audit from an outside independent CPA firm was estimated to be $4,000, on an annual basis

Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #720
Rivet Master

I'm not sure why people think we have to keep changing things. Did we need to change the name "no", did well need to allow other MOHO's into the club "no", do we need a whole new Constitution "no". Should we give members some oversight into the spending of the club "yeh most think so" and should MAL's be allowed to vote "yeh most think so".

So I'm not real sure why everyone thinks we need all these great changes. Quit trying to fix the club by making all these great changes. Get control of your spending, allow MAL's to vote and make it a more relax place to align with todays way of camping and the club will be fine. All other aspects of the club has worked well for over 50 years so leave it alone.

Tags
constitution, wbcci