Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Holly bat****! If correct, that is about the most bizarre thing about the club I have heard in my life.
Bizarre is how the leadership decided upon how to give us our information.

A recurrent chant is "change," but we want to be certain we are not "short changed." For leadership with a public perception of incredulity, their choice and engagement of representatives has done nothing to bolster confidence. I resent a few members acting as if they are Moses on the Mount angrily telling us how we have all fallen short and how better to praise the Creator without sinning. I look forward to some official statements and the release of the Replacement Constitution for intelligent consideration and objective discourse about the issues.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #142
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
By Jove, Carol, I think you've got it!

We haven't seen the new, improved constitution yet because it's taking so long to carve the stone tablets!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #143
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
They sent someone on their way with the info but he got mad at the people's attitudes and smashed it instead. Now we all have to wait for the book to be published.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Watching from the sidelines. I opted out. Every post I read makes me more sure I did the right thing. I'm just sorry 2000 more haven't un-joined with me. That would make it clear to the IBT that they've gone too far. As it is, 500 members will quit for every 100 that join, and in 7 years the international will need to reserve three spots.

I do know that the campers in WBCCI are by and large nice people. But even the most loyal supporters of two local WBCCI clubs wish the IBT were in the bottom of the ocean.

Paula
Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #145
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Yes you are, really.

Yes, there was no direction from anyone, we were on our own.
I am so reminded of Animal Farm....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The IP remarks centered on the method of presentation for the unseen constitution revision. The document will be sent to the units and members on or before April 1.

The individual articles (18) will be "perfected" individually by simple majority vote. After all 18 are complete, there will be a vote on the entire package. Approval requires 2/3 majority.

I recommend units have a complete discussion of their opinions and authorize the their delegate to vote, based on their input and wishes. That will allow them to vote on revised sections that the members may not have seen in final form.

You want change? Come prepared and authorized to act!
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #147
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Watching from the sidelines. I opted out. Every post I read makes me more sure I did the right thing. I'm just sorry 2000 more haven't un-joined with me.
Paula,

I’m not sure the number who have “un-joined” is too far from that:

1-25-11 (listening to the IBT Seminar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
18% Non renewal rate is quoted
suspect some hold membership in abeyance.
Official membership figure last year was about 6,400; 18% x 6400 = 1,152. The fact that total membership didn’t decrease by that much was due to the fact that new members joined.

First-time members have always had a fairly high non-renewal rate. This year we are seeing a significant number of long-time active members not renewing because they’re getting tired of the international politics.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #148
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
First-time members have always had a fairly high non-renewal rate. This year we are seeing a significant number of long-time active members not renewing because they’re getting tired of the international politics.
It's easier to establish numbers than to explain the motives behind those numbers.

Lynn
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #149
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
It's easier to establish numbers than to explain the motives behind those numbers.

Lynn
That is true Lynn, having said that, I suspect there are more than a few who have opted out due to the ongoing shenanigans but who also still care and would like to be members. I would speculate many of these would return should a conscionable form of governance be developed.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #150
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
That is true Lynn, having said that, I suspect there are more than a few who have opted out due to the ongoing shenanigans but who also still care and would like to be members. I would speculate many of these would return should a conscionable form of governance be developed.
But there are also a couple of generations of members who are literally dying off in droves. Generally speaking, these members don't renew.

Lynn
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #151
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
But there are also a couple of generations of members who are literally dying off in droves. Generally speaking, these members don't renew.

Yeah but that does make it easier to establish motive.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
I have only been a member of WBCCI for 5 years and in that time I have seen more than a handful of what I originally considered highly motivated members quite, 2 of which are watching this thread as I write this.

The sorry fact is that if the New Constitution does not provide for significant reform I will follow them next year.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #153
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:

Lynn

But as in the case of Chicago, they are apparently still voting.........

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you think this will do any good, feel free to post it anywhere in WBCCI land.

I'm very fortunate to be in an industry that generally prospers in a down economy. I could easily afford 10 times the dues I used to pay to stay in the WDCU. If I thought the club above that unit's level was managed for the benefit of all the members and that the management received only a reasonable benefit package for their intelligent contributions to the overall wellbeing of the club I'd be cheerfully paying even though I'm not retired and don't benefit as much as those who have more free time.

I don't mind spending money generously - I do mind donating it and finding out that it's being wasted by the fat cats who have contempt for anyone who dares question their ominpotence. If I were to stay in - I'd be in the fight - and if I got lemonade thrown in my face I doubt if my response would resemble anything recommended by Christian doctrine (expurgated due to respect or the forum's policy of civility).

Individual "camping members" of WBCCI have always been wonderful to meet even when we don't have too much in common beyond Airstream ownership, but I'll meet plenty of those at forum and VAC events.... so what beyond questionable rights to "Wally's" name have you got to interest me?

The mismanagement of the International Rally is an ongoing financial disgrace. In any sensible business, you cannot survive if you repeat expensive mistakes. If I were still a member the next planned international would send me screaming to Alumapalooza as a "sanity protest" alone. But the IBT is persistently hiding from reality, and making only minor cosmetic changes for the next one.

The new by-laws and constitution? I'm 62 but expect to die from old age before any real reform happens. Of course, all things being equal, WBCCI is due to expire well before I go off to that big Flying Cloud in the sky.

Happy Trails. I wish only the best for those who will continue to try to preserve and update the WBCCI - but it's kinda like trying to put makeup on an 80 year old prostitute.... it's a lot of work... and what IS the point?

Paula
Old 02-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #155
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
There are several changes to address problems with the International Rally, it will be optional and if held not be as long and not a business meeting, also the dates now have a range to be held at a time between July 1 -3rd week August.

1.The old dates are prime dates to book any venue at a higher cost, having this flexibility should allow lower costs.

2.Many people have complained about being away rather than with their families on 4th of July.

Those changes hopefully will increase attendance at lower cost

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #156
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:

Lynn
Well, first of all, you are correct that there is a constant attrition due to members aging out of Airstreaming, and in some cases, living.

However my unit is a fairly young unit and we had somewhere around a 20-25% non-renewal rate. (I say "somewhere around" because renewals continue to trickle in. That's always the case.) I have talked or exchanged emails with a fair number of people who didn't renew, so I know what their motives were.

Lynn, I don't believe that their responses belong in a public forum, but since you are a WBCCI member I will be glad to PM you some of the emails and quote some of the phone conversations if you would like. Let me know.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #157
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I believe you that some are not renewing out of disgust. There's no doubt about it, and it's something that the leadership should be aware of. What I warn against is overly broad generalizations.

Lynn
Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
What I warn against is overly broad generalizations.

Lynn
For some reason this reminds me of one of Piet Hein's Grooks (of which I seem to remember an amazing number).
Truth shall emerge from the interplay
of attitudes freely debated.
Don't be misled by fanatics who say
that only one truth should be stated;
truth is constructed in such a way
that it can't be exaggerated.

--Piet Hein
Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I have delayed publishing anything on the Norm Beu remarks at Florida State, because he delivered no surprises.

My impression is that he is very honestly trying to address the recommendations from the 2020 Committee from last year. The Constitutional changes are designed to reduce the number of leaders in the club, simplify the process of making changes, allow the use of electronic voting and communications, and reduce the restrictions on the date of the International Rally (reduce costs). The changes are in review and he will take recommendations from the Executive Committee before it is sent to the membership.

When the changes are complete, the revision will be sent to the units (and membership) for action this summer. The information sent will include a detailed description of changes and a powerpoint presentation. During the Delegate Meeting in DuQuoin, the revision will be "perfected" 1 article at a time. All changes to the proposal will be made on a simple majority vote. When the entire amendment is complete, a single vote will be taken on the revision. This vote will require a 2/3 majority for acceptance. If it is passed, there will be an implementation period with new Bylaws created by the Executive Committee.

The discussion centered on process, rather than content. The Units have the ability to modify the changes completely, if they properly instruct their delegate. Quite simply, the unit should provide their opinions to there delegate and direct voting in accordance with their opinion, as he understands it. It is not possible for the the Unit to give specific direction on a yes or no vote on this issue, since it is likely to change significantly from the version the units will see in April.

The Delegates Meeting envisioned, can address the changes requested over the last several years. It will require constructive input and dialog by the delegates, with reasonable instruction from the units.

I'm not sure we can accomplish this goal in a single meeting, but I'm willing to do my best to work constructively.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #160
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
Quite simply, the unit should provide their opinions to there delegate and direct voting in accordance with their opinion, as he understands it. It is not possible for the the Unit to give specific direction on a yes or no vote on this issue, since it is likely to change significantly from the version the units will see in April.
Isn't it ironic how adoption of the Revision will require that we put our trust in the very Delegate process that the Revision eliminates?

They are supposed to vote themselves away, but the IBT and EC stay.

Don't be fooled. This isn't streamlining. It is centralization of power, not balance. Eliminating delegates eliminates representation.

Tags
constitution, wbcci