Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you support the WBCCI's current plans to rebadge an SOB Class "A" motor home as an
Yes, I do support this. 26 10.61%
No, I do not support this. 219 89.39%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #281
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I'd be curious to find out exactly which IBT members he's referring to here. I can only guess that the majority of the IBT was for this motion otherwise it would have been voted down at the Mid-Winters. Many IBT members claim to have voted FOR the motion only to get it before the membership. That still leaves the question as to who is part of that IBT majority that actually wants to divide our club. A couple of names are obvious -- but the others?

__
I would be putting words in his mouth, but I think that he is talking about the anti motorhome motion folks as being the divisive ones. If they wanted only to get the motion before the membership, then they should be more even handed in presenting the rationale for the motion and allowing viewpoints.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Jerry Collins is the only nominee, other than the nominating commitee, who has not answered my letter about vision and stopping the membership decline. For what its worth.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #283
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The responses from all to your letter are the stuff the Blue Beret should be made of. Have you gained insight? Have your drawn conclusions? Where there any surprises? Who gave the most satisfying response? Inquiring minds want to know.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #284
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
The responses from all to your letter are the stuff the Blue Beret should be made of. Have you gained insight? Have your drawn conclusions? Where there any surprises? Who gave the most satisfying response? Inquiring minds want to know.
Carol,

I will have to work on a reply to your question. First I did like the history lesson from Jerry Larson, other that that nothing suprising or unusual comes to mind. But, I did get an answer from three of them and I finally received a long reply from Don Shafer, somewhat condesending and abrupt. I have to work on a reply to him.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 06-14-2007, 10:58 PM   #285

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall9600
My facts and interests:
My observations....
I'm upset! I feel that Larry Huttle at Airstream, Inc. has put the members of the WBCCI in direct conflict.

Mr. Huttle could have brought in any "Brand X" motorhome, refined it, painted it, put the Airstream graphics and plaques on it, and placed his markup on the price sticker, and saved the WBCCI from a problem that will cause it to virtually destroy itself from within.

My conclusion:

Those of us who have worked to make this club the best will watch as a few purists will be happy with a greatly smaller club with very narrow interests. Not all of us want to be vintage owners, all of us want to be Airstream owners, some of us understand that it is the people that make up the organization and not the vehicle that they sleep in.

Bill Hall
WBCCI #4983
My, my, my....so we blame the problem on Airstream rather than those within the organization....and it's Airstream's fault that WBCCI will destroy itself from within. And to put the icing on the cake, a "few purists" will be happy with a greatly smaller club.

Somehow Mr Hall, your thoughts reflect the exact reasons why some of us have left. Your observations and conclusions speak volumes as to why this organization is in the pickle it's in.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #286
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Smaller = Better?

One might argue that smaller may be better.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #287
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Bill that is disappointing to hear that the IPs response was abrupt and condenscending. You did precisely all the right things in fashioning your letter and concerns and sending it directly to the proper channels. As Jack says attitude has much to do with the club's health and it is due for an adjustment. I will be anxious to read more.

Thank you for posting an excert from Jerry Larson's response. I too found that very interesting and it was new to me. I think the amount of dues is a big deal (but by far not the worst problem.) Increasing the value of the club immediately might start with the BB's format and what is presented. Promotion of events that would DRAW new people would be wise also. The VAC has no problem in that regard but the mother club is still stuck in the way back machine and repetition (tradition.) As he stated if you caravan it results in great savings but many members, especially new and younger members (working and with families) or those without the price of the caravan fees added onto todays gas prices do not have the opportunity to enjoy those benefits. How many members receive an index and 10 BBs and attend one to two rallies a year? They pay their rally fee the same as a non-member buddy if allowed. Maybe it's time for the club to collect fees for special interests from those enjoying the special interests. That would also take care of the issue of frantic search for more revenue. Since when does a fun club worry about revenue? Pay as you go , spend and do what the members can afford.

Zoom I had precisely the same thought as you. It is not the size of the club but the quality. Some decrease in membership is to be expected given the age of many of the members. Now to replace those members with younger members is really the challenge. However I find the impetus of the IBT to think of members in terms of dollars and cents. They want MORE!

photography
Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #288
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Less is more?

Do you find it true that sometimes Less is More ?
Old 06-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #289
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Inbreeding May be a Problem! Need New Blood!

I have to admit I am not active in WBCCI even though we have been members for several years. We only recently joined WDCU after being MALs since we joined.

With that background in mind, let me shout out my question:

WHY IS THERE ANY REQUIREMENT TO WORK YOUR WAY THROUGH UNIT, REGION, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL BEFORE YOU CAN BE PRESIDENT?

I can certainly understand the benefits of promoting from within. I am a firm believer in fully understanding the workings of an organization in order to provide great leadership. However, this promote from within, pay your dues, mentality is part of the problem with WBCCI.

Many very effective, very profitable corporations sometimes find the need to bring in personnel from the outside. I'm sure there are many examples of decaying organization/companies that have been turned around with a shot of new blood.

Is it really true that you must work you way through the ranks at WBCCI? Can this be changed? Let's do it! I will be attending the International in Perry and will plan to attend the various meetings/seminars that will help me better understand the workings of WBCCI. It seems obvious to me that something is broken and is in dire need of repair.

Any comments?

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #290
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
You can run from the floor with a second against the nominating committee's choice, I believe. I'm hoping there will be new blood stepping up at Perry. I think it has been all but unheard of previously. Meaning the machine had been in place a long long time and no one has been bucking it. Let's do it!

photography
Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #291
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Lenoir City , Tennessee
My first impression was that there are currently 963 motorhomes with a club membership in the low 6000 number. Of course, the Classic Airstream Club could also be an option for purists.
Bill Hall
fhall9600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
My first impression was that there are currently 963 motorhomes with a club membership in the low 6000 number. Of course, the Classic Airstream Club could also be an option for purists.
Bill Hall
Bill,

First, 963 divided by 6000 is 16.1% not 20% (963 is one of the numbers which has been thrown around so has 860). Second, the Classic Airstream Club is an intra-club of the WBCCI, you cannot join the CAC unless you are a member of WBCCI. Before the CAC was brought into WBCCI, it was called the Classic Caravan Club.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 06-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Bill Hall

Mr. Hall,
While I don't come close to agreeing with you on the motor home issue, I sincerely thank you for coming to the forum to state your opinion, which is more than my former unit afforded me. Without notification to the general membership, a clique within the unit discussed and voted on the proposed amendment at a rally with very limited participation. It would appear as if they took their lead on how to conduct club business from the IBT. Frankly, if it hadn't been for a progressive unit like the WDCU, I would have bagged the club altogether. I believe this type of unit to be the future of WBCCI, and I believe you'll be soon surprised at how many others think this way.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:25 AM   #294
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly
I have to admit I am not active in WBCCI even though we have been members for several years. We only recently joined WDCU after being MALs since we joined.

With that background in mind, let me shout out my question:

WHY IS THERE ANY REQUIREMENT TO WORK YOUR WAY THROUGH UNIT, REGION, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL BEFORE YOU CAN BE PRESIDENT?

I can certainly understand the benefits of promoting from within. I am a firm believer in fully understanding the workings of an organization in order to provide great leadership. However, this promote from within, pay your dues, mentality is part of the problem with WBCCI.

Many very effective, very profitable corporations sometimes find the need to bring in personnel from the outside. I'm sure there are many examples of decaying organization/companies that have been turned around with a shot of new blood.

Is it really true that you must work you way through the ranks at WBCCI? Can this be changed? Let's do it! I will be attending the International in Perry and will plan to attend the various meetings/seminars that will help me better understand the workings of WBCCI. It seems obvious to me that something is broken and is in dire need of repair.

Any comments?

Lucius
I think you may have hit on something here Lucius. Press on and good luck.