Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #41

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
This is a difficult topic......it's sure to ignite passionate discussions - which are a good thing because hopefully it shows people care. What we have to keep in mind is that there are people with feelings behind the topic.

It would break my heart to know that any one of my friends, whether it's all 150+ members of the Oregon Unit or those that I've met on the road, were no longer able to pull their trailers. They're always welcome to camp beside me, whatever trailer they own......it doesn't have to be official but they're sweet, kind-hearted people who I don't want to lose because they lost their spouse or they can't (or shouldn't) tow their Airstream any longer.

Mona
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
When we joined WBCCI it was because we were able to join a group of people in a club uniquely and completely limited to Airstreams. We considered other "membership" clubs that had merits of their own, but ultimately decided we valued a club of silver trailers, carrying on a tradition.

We've all seen the beautiful Airstream Rally photos. What inspires people who look at these is not the campground, not the people, but the sight of a bunch of beautiful trailers Airstream trailers (and Airstream Motorhomes) parked next to each other.

So yes, I think one of the ONLY unique things WBCCI has is our uniqueness. I think that's why many (most) people choose to join us, or to go to Alumaxxx events - those are the ONLY places we get to experience where we can guarantee our fellow members share our love for our Airstreams.

And Yes, we camp outside of WBCCI also, but we chose to join an Airstream camping club.

I hope the amendment gets voted down and DOESN'T come back (but I think I might agree with Protagonist - it might!)
WBCCI #2242
Santa Clara Unit (CA)
Aolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #43

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Well stated Eric - Aolani ...... hope to meet you someday!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I recently attended my first Unit rally. One of the of the wall statements I heard from one of the other members was hopefully the MoHo issue will pass this year. I let my feelings on the subject be known (I am against) and was soundly ganged up on by a bunch of the others sitting around the table. Their logic was that it was the only way to save the club. Attending were 15 Airstreams, 4 MoHos and 11 travel trailers. I am 62 and was at least 20 years younger than most the other attending members. I am still debating if I will be attending any more events with this bunch as we seem to have so little in common not just over the MoHo issue but several other things that happened over the long weekend.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #45
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I recently attended my first Unit rally. One of the of the wall statements I heard from one of the other members was hopefully the MoHo issue will pass this year. I let my feelings on the subject be known (I am against) and was soundly ganged up on by a bunch of the others sitting around the table. Their logic was that it was the only way to save the club. Attending were 15 Airstreams, 4 MoHos and 11 travel trailers. I am 62 and was at least 20 years younger than most the other attending members. I am still debating if I will be attending any more events with this bunch as we seem to have so little in common not just over the MoHo issue but several other things that happened over the long weekend.
I don't know which unit you're referring to, but given your location I can make a guess. There are plenty of other units in Region 6 that have different opinions than your unit's. Give one of them a try. Greater New Orleans Unit has a rally planned for the weekend of 18-21 April, the Angola Prison Rodeo Rally, but I don't know if they're fully booked yet. The campground we're staying at only has 18 campsites, and the unit officers blocked out 14 of them. Even if the logistics don't work out for that, you can also attend our unit luncheon that will be held Saturday, April 6th in Slidell, LA. That would at least let you sound out some of the members to see if we're a more congenial bunch.

You wouldn't even be the youngster of the bunch. I'm not quite 55, so that dubious honor falls to me.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
After giving this issue way too much thought I've come to realize the solution is simple. All you have to do is buy a Bambi, hitch it to the back of your TV (Prevost, Bluebird, Winnebago, whatever) and you're in.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #47

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
After giving this issue way too much thought I've come to realize the solution is simple. All you have to do is buy a Bambi, hitch it to the back of your TV (Prevost, Bluebird, Winnebago, whatever) and you're in.
Then where would they hitch their toad? If you have a Thor class A, you've practically required to have a toad that's worth at least 20% of the price of your RV. Anything else just isn't highfalutin' enough to impress the campground neighbors.

Side note, even with my dinky little Airstream Class B, I have a toad that's worth about 20% of what I paid for the RV. But since it's only a Class B, that's lowfallutin' enough to not impress anybody.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Then where would they hitch their toad? If you have a Thor class A, you've practically required to have a toad that's worth at least 20% of the price of your RV. Anything else just isn't highfalutin' enough to impress the campground neighbors.
Behind the toad. It would be Class A, Escalade, Airstream. Things would get a bit harder if you wanted a boat.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
This is what we helping-profession folks would call resolution of "cognitive dissonance"....a shift in values, beliefs, cognitions, etc., to resolve two opposing and mutually inconsistent beliefs.

If maintaining the exclusivity of an Airstream-only club requires internal changes by the older, upper echelon in order to bring in and hold on to new generations of Airstreamers...... and some of these upper echelon want non-Airstream motorhomes....voila!.....problem solved.

Forget about those younger Airstreamers, recruit a new and different membership base of non-Airstreams and change the nature of the club.

Pounding the drum and repeating the new mantra...........onward they go.

And, oh-so-very bureaucratic.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Minden , Nevada
What I worry about is that I have heard rumors in the past that if this amendment passes, both the vintage people and classic AS club members will leave WBCCI. So how will that help increase membership?
A/S Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
The solution is easy—your staff drives the MH and tows the Bambi with your Lamborghini or Ferrari while you fly to the next campground in your private jet.

I think it is a real problem for people to have to quit a club because their MH is wearing out even though they've put a lot of work into the club. I have sympathy for those people, but it is an Airstream club. Of course, the expense of buying a new Thor unit might make it economically feasible to have their old Airstream upgraded, but maybe they haven't thought of that. New thinking seems to be hard for them. But after they've driven enough people out of the club, they may win an election on this. They win everything else, so why shouldn't they think they will eventually win this one.

After that, they can do like some "resort" campgrounds and limit the club only to members with RVs that are no more than 10 years old. And then, they can limit club members to those over 70 because only septuagenarians have enough experience. That'll help clean out the riffraff.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
This whole issue has been mismanaged entirely. It wouldl not be an issue if it had been proposed by one of us peons. Our issues go to deaf ears. If only 7-8% of the entire club want to open it up to Thor why is it an issue. Whatever the issue, it should benefit the entire club. That should be the prerequisit, it should benefit the entire club, if not is does not, it is dead. Period and permanently.

Another thought, how many of those moho's are held by elders over 70 and how many of those should not be driving in the first place, moreless a giant moho. I suggest they get a class B, they will be safer and still be able to be in the club.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
In my opinion, neither the VAC or the CAC as intra clubs will leave the WBCCI. However, many members of both intra clubs may leave.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/S Squared View Post
What I worry about is that I have heard rumors in the past that if this amendment passes, both the vintage people and classic AS club members will leave WBCCI. So how will that help increase membership?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Many have already left and joined TAC and other clubs over past and continueing issues. I have been to a couple of TAC rallys and left looking forward to the next. No politics, in fighting or other negative issues. It was all about fun. I can not say that about my first and only WBCCI rally.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Politics in the WBCCI??

The politics in the WBCCI is nothing now compared to what in was during the SaveWally days, Name Change, first time MOHO vote, etc.... and the cast of people who did everything they could to keep the WBCCI from being called "Airstream whatever". People were kicked out of the club Leo G, Bob T, etc... grievances filed, we're talking shirts printed up, pens, stickers, people running from the floor for the IBT, the whole nine yards. You had IBT guys yelling at folks at Perry, EC7 and IBT telling the VAC they needed to calm down, it was some of the best entertainment money could buy.

Bottom line is this, the WBCCI had the best chance in the world to grow the club back in the early-mid 2000's with the Vintage craze that hit. You had a bunch of really smart people with some great ideas to move the club into a growth phase. Well, the same ones that told those folks to get lost are still the same ones trying to get THOR products into the club.

Still a member, just don't care to fight anymore! Though I do miss some of the posting from the old cast of folks from the SW gang they made the politics fun.

Enjoy,
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Paul,

Does your popcorn machine still work? If not, mine does and we can watch and reminisce.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Politics in the WBCCI??

The politics in the WBCCI is nothing now compared to what in was during the SaveWally days, Name Change, first time MOHO vote, etc.... and the cast of people who did everything they could to keep the WBCCI from being called "Airstream whatever". People were kicked out of the club Leo G, Bob T, etc... grievances filed, we're talking shirts printed up, pens, stickers, people running from the floor for the IBT, the whole nine yards. You had IBT guys yelling at folks at Perry, EC7 and IBT telling the VAC they needed to calm down, it was some of the best entertainment money could buy.

Bottom line is this, the WBCCI had the best chance in the world to grow the club back in the early-mid 2000's with the Vintage craze that hit. You had a bunch of really smart people with some great ideas to move the club into a growth phase. Well, the same ones that told those folks to get lost are still the same ones trying to get THOR products into the club.

Still a member, just don't care to fight anymore! Though I do miss some of the posting from the old cast of folks from the SW gang they made the politics fun.

Enjoy,
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
The WBCCI website has a banner saying "The AIRSTREAM Owners Association". You can't get much clearer than that. If you want to belong to the Club, you need to own an Airstream. It has been that way since about 1957 when we first joined.

I bought a 1963 Airstream and restored it so that I could again join the WBCCI. I don't want to belong to a general RV Club that allows multiple brands. I don't even like having the newer Airstream motorhomes that look like a generic box RV in the Club. They do nothing to promote the Airstream brand.

I am amused by the logic that some of the members are getting too old to tow an Airstream. So........ it is safer to put them behind the wheel of a bus weighing 20 tons????

Let's keep the WBCCI all Airstream! If the motorhome folks gain control of the WBCCI, then I will be happy to drop out.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #58
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Bill & Paul, I agree, not near as much fun, but if it does pass I will bet money they will lose 1/2 of the membership at least, whole units will say forget it. I'm hoping clubs that vote no will also give the finacial impact of how many of their members will quit if it passes. No finacial impact they say.
I'm glad Chief reported on the non Airstream WB unit, it makes us realize there are member of our club that should just belong to the Good Sam Club and they could save some money.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #59

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
I don't even like having the newer Airstream motorhomes that look like a generic box RV in the Club. They do nothing to promote the Airstream brand.
As the owner of one of those "generic box" Airstream Interstates, given how well they sell, I believe they promote the Airstream brand just fine. Generic on the outside, all Airstream quality on the inside.

But if Airstream Interstates upset you so much, I promise to never attend a WBCCI function that you're attending. Just make sure to PM me your schedule, and I'll take care of making sure you never have to park within visual range of my offensive generic box Airstream.

But I'll still honk or wave as you drive by. Whether you like my Airstream or not, we're still fellow Airstream owners, and we both have big red numbers on our respective Airstreams.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, the club runs just fine with any Airstream product, Doyle, and that includes not just Interstates and AS Mohos, but all of the Argosy trailers and motorhomes. Personally, if we were spending a lot of time in the Airstream -- months, not days -- we'd be all over Fred's list in the hunt for one of the older ones. (Some friends of ours in Abq found a really, really, really sweet 360 last year. I'm thinking about hiring a hit man to get it from them.)

Lynn