Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #101
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We find the annual dues to be questionable as to value ... but have heard the rumors that some folks get their travel expenses paid ... is that why the dues are so high. It can't be for the magazine production costs and most of the WBCCI events which we have attended are self-supporting financially.
Compared to professional non-profit organizations I've belonged to (Construction Specifications Institute, American Society of Military Engineers, etc.) the WBCCI dues are actually reasonable.

Some WBCCI members do get reimbursed for travel expenses, but those are club officers, attending official club functions that they're obligated to attend by virtue of their positions. Supposedly. There is some room for abuse because some of the people who are responsible for determining who gets paid for what are also some of the same people who get paid. The financial disbursement rules do need more checks and balances built in. Overall, though, I believe that it costs club officers more than they're reimbursed. For example, they're paid travel expenses to get to an event, but not to get home from the event. Still, they're on the gravy train compared to the rank-and-file members attending the same events with no reimbursement at all…
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #102
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Whether officers and board members of a nonprofit get reimbursed for their expenses is always a difficult question. Some boards expect them to donate time and money in the form of no reimbursements and also contribute money to the organization.

Sometimes this only means wealthy people can serve and they usually have little idea how the rest of the people live.

So I think there should be reasonable reimbursement for those who can't afford the expenses—this enables middle class people to serve and give their viewpoints. How to determine who can afford it and who can't can be a delicate question and may be better left to the officers and directors to each decide for themselves.

But even a badly run organization takes a lot of time and some money demands from the leadership. That's one reason leaders of many organizations appear to be concentrated among people who are retired and have a solid retirement income—military pensions for officers are very good and that is why they are so prominent among this leadership.

And it is a good idea for leaders to visit various units and their rallies so they can get feedback. Of course, those leaders do not seem to listen to the feedback or they aren't being offered any. If a leader visits a unit, why not have a question period at a rally where members can ask about the things they say on the Forum?

Hold them accountable.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #103
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Gene, I agree with you 100 percent. The renibursment the officers get allows members to take office that might not otherwise as it helps pays part of the fuel bill to be within their travel budget. And I bet those region officers and International officers are the best we have and we should support them. If I remember, they said that $6.00 from every membership goes to officer reimbursement. To me that is more than worth it to talk eye to eye with my region and International officers .

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #104

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
???
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #105
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post
???
What is your question?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #106

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
the best we have? I believe the future of the club, and the best we have, are just around the corner.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #107

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Plenty of momentum around Airstream trailers....
Airstream mystique: Passionate local community grows with a new dealership - NWautos
Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #108
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
Gene, I agree with you 100 percent. The renibursment the officers get allows members to take office that might not otherwise as it helps pays part of the fuel bill to be within their travel budget. And I bet those region officers and International officers are the best we have and we should support them. If I remember, they said that $6.00 from every membership goes to officer reimbursement. To me that is more than worth it to talk eye to eye with my region and International officers .
Thanks for agreeing with me regarding that some reimbursement seems fair, but I neither said that the system the club has is proper and not, especially, that the officers are worthy of support. I suppose they are the "best we have" because they are what you have, but I doubt better ones could not be found.

Gene

Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #109

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Gene...trust me, they're out there
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #110
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The ones we have now are too far "out there" as the MoHo amendment amply demonstrates. The new crop needs to be brough "in here" from "out there" before the present crop can indoctrinate them into the old ways.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I agree that there are some that are comin' up thru the ranks. I have met them, like and respect them.

The question is.......will they be a little too late and the WBCCI a little too gone?

Maggie
Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #112

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
I for one hope not.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #113
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yes, I know a good one who is rising through the ranks, but how many reformers are doing that and will they make it?

Gene

Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #114

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Gene....quite a few at many different levels.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #115
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Monah, that's good. How long will it take to turn the ship around? Will is happen in time? I doubt anyone has a good answer, but it would be nice to know the future.

Gene

Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Despite what the president's (Captain's) best intentions, it is (was) the IBT's (rudder's
failure) short sightedness that is preventing (prevented) the club (Titanic) from turning around and missing the wrecking of a once magnificent club (ship).
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
My big concern is that There is little to no information anywhere about this most important issue published anywhere.
For example:
  • There is no survey done to show what the members feel about this issue
  • There is no impact assessment that shows how this could be a benefit or detriment to the club
  • No marketing survey to show how many members will leave the club if this passes
  • No indication whatsoever to show who even wants to get a new THOR SOB and stay in the club
  • No guess as to how many members will just leave as opposed to how many members will stay with their new SOB THOR rig
  • No indication of one single member who will take advantage of this opportunity if it passes at all - not one name.
In short - how could anybody support this with no information to back up the need to do this at all.

If you are in a unit - who has presented you with the information about the vote? The package is out there and published in the WBCCI site. Who is presenting it to your unit?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Tim,

I agree with your concerns.

My unit president sent an email to all members requesting their opinion of the motion and how he should vote at the delegates meeting.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
My big concern is that There is little to no information anywhere about this most important issue published anywhere.
For example:
  • There is no survey done to show what the members feel about this issue
  • There is no impact assessment that shows how this could be a benefit or detriment to the club
  • No marketing survey to show how many members will leave the club if this passes
  • No indication whatsoever to show who even wants to get a new THOR SOB and stay in the club
  • No guess as to how many members will just leave as opposed to how many members will stay with their new SOB THOR rig
  • No indication of one single member who will take advantage of this opportunity if it passes at all - not one name.
In short - how could anybody support this with no information to back up the need to do this at all.

If you are in a unit - who has presented you with the information about the vote? The package is out there and published in the WBCCI site. Who is presenting it to your unit?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
As you know, WBCCI is a strongly hierarchical organization in which information is supposed to percolate down the "chain of command". This stuff was sent to the unit presidents by snail mail (around April 1) and it's up to them to pass the word to the members.

Communications in our unit are good, and this will be voted on at the spring business meeting end of April. Information, including a ballot which can be sent in by mail, has been distributed in the latest unit newsletter, which is on the web:

http://wisc.wbcci.net/files/2013/04/...r_Bulletin.pdf

Our unit votes proportionally at the Delegates Meeting. When essentially the same motion was voted on last year, our unit voted 20% in favor, 80% opposed. I doubt the results will be much different this year.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #120
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
What if Thor sells Airstream. None of the original owners that brought Airstream are around, Thor has moved it's operations to Elkhart, Indiana and Thor could make big money in the sale.
Maybe Matthew McConaughey and some of his movie star Airstream friends would be interested, he is so dreamy.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote