Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #961
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
I embarrassed to say that even though my "Home-20" is 15 minutes from Pocono Int. Raceway, I have no idea what the "TAC Birthday Bash" is. Can you explain to refer?
"TAC" stands for "The Airstreamers Club", a club-that's-not-a-club that hosts a variety of rallies. See the "other clubs" category on Airforums for further information on the subject. Membership is free.

Wally Byam's birthday is July 4, and the Birthday Bash is TAC's annual competition to the WBCCI International Rally that takes place at the same time. (They originally called it the Wally Byam Birthday Bash until WBCCI threatened to sue them for trademark or copyright infringement.)

See this link http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...2-a-79553.html
Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #962
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
This is GREAT info, thanks!

Is Pocono an annual TAC event? A bad medical year kept me from NASCAR Pocono last year, but this year's lookin' much better. Is the TAC Circle in the infield of of the track?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #963
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
This is GREAT info, thanks!

Is Pocono an annual TAC event? A bad medical year kept me from NASCAR Pocono last year, but this years lookin' much better. Is the TAC Circle in the infield of of the track?
This is not a TAC event. It is organized by Leo who maintains a loose group called Northeast Airstream Owners.

The Airstream gathering at Pocono is in the infield. We are provided with in and out access all weekend. In true Rally fashion, we have a central tent setup and breakfasts are provided each morning. Last year the event was attended by Wally's first cousin once removed - Pee Wee = who shared wonderful Airstream tales of days gone by.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #964
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
Stop making assumptions on the number of our members, when you are not a member of WDCU.

thanks!
Sonia
Sonia, I said about 90, it is actually as of now 73 paid and 18 not yet renewed.

Or 91, one need not be a member it is public info.

I was not that far of

My point was that a larger unit should have figured out a way to get those votes counted.

I hope you figure a way this year.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #965
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
People buy inferior products every day.

Sometimes they never have had good quality and don't know what they are missing.

And a new Thor MH may be in better shape than a 10- or 15-year-old Airstream MH. It may be bigger, have more TV's, slides, Corian countertop
Gene
Gene I went to the Tampa RV show recently, had to look at one one of those at $225K, really not any quality at all, the main table was shaky and cheaply made.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #966
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Gene I went to the Tampa RV show recently, had to look at one one of those at $225K, really not any quality at all, the main table was shaky and cheaply made.
We went to the Albuquerque RV show a couple of weeks ago. Some RV's were decent quality, some not. Designs were often from another era. Prices seemed low compared to several years ago. Now some have 1/2 baths and a full bath and outside TV's. There wasn't anything that appealed to us and a lot seemed over the top. The others looking at them seemed impressed with stuff we wouldn't touch.

For many it is not quality that matters, but whatever appeals to them on a gut level—ultimate comfort and hollow luxury seem to be big sellers.

I have no idea whether the WBCCI leadership has bad taste in RV's or doesn't care about quality, but it does seem they do like "new". New trumps Airstream.

Oh, my main table also is a little shaky and cheaply made.

Gene
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #967
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Oh, my main table also is a little shaky and cheaply made.
Gene
Hey, I've got one of those too!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #968
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
For many it is not quality that matters, but whatever appeals to them on a gut level— ultimate comfort and hollow luxury seem to be big sellers.
When I was shopping for a Class B or Class C motor home, before I decided on the Airstream Interstate, I stopped at Dixie RV in Hammond, LA. The vast majority of their sales are Class A though they have a fair assortment of Cs and trailers, and just for the hell of it I took a look at a couple of the Class As, despite knowing they were far outside my price range.

After talking to two dealers at Dixie RV, I discovered that they're not really motor home salesmen, they're realtors in disguise. Everything in the sales pitch was about the accommodations, the multiple slide-outs, the built-in washer and dryer, the big-screen televisions, and the huge "basements" for storing all of the patio furniture. However, neither dealer even knew how to open the engine compartment, because not a single one of the people they sold to ever wanted to look at the engine! They treated me like some kind of freak for wanting engine specs and were appalled when I laid down on my back to check underneath and see the frame and suspension. And neither dealer wanted to show me a Class A that had all of the slide-outs slid in for transport, probably for fear I would find out how much was inaccessible that way.

I'll take my dinky little Class B Airstream Interstate any day over even the most luxurious Class A, but then again, I'm not a full-timer trying to downsize from a 3500-square-foot wood/brick home into a 350-square-foot metal box, either.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #969
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Pro', they don't call them motorhomes for no reason.

I would have loved to see the salesman's face when you got down on the ground to look under a MH. There are plenty of stories about RV salesmen who know nothing much about the trailers, MH's or whatever they sell. Then they make things up when they don't know the answers.

I guess some buyers are people who go to resorts and spend $400 or $500 a night for a suite. Those are also the places that charge extra for everything that you get for free in a $60/night motel. They don't realize you can get a really nice room for much, much less if you want to look for it. Or they believe spending a lot means they are better people.

Others are people who want to be able to spend that much, but can't, so they buy the cheaper units that are designed to look like luxury, but underneath are underpowered, poorly built and start falling apart in a couple of years.

But I don't believe that the WBCCI leaders are that dumb about MH's. From all I've read, MH's are constant repair machines and an older Airstream MH must have lots of work involved. I can't blame them for wanting something new, but I think they have to choose between being a member of an Airstream club and owning a new MH.

If they bought lifetime memberships, that was a bad investment and they should accept that rather than fighting over an issue that hurts the club in the long and short run. They have choices—they can keep their old Airstream and buy a new something else; they can pay someone to do a serious upgrade of their MH, or they can accept reality and move on. I can understand that their friends want to help them. Wanting to help someone who is in a spot is an admirable trait, but they have to balance that against what this controversy does to the club they are supposed to protect and nurture. They are putting relatively minor considerations and personal friendships over the wellbeing of the entire club. The directors have a fiduciary responsibility to protect the club, not meet a few of their friend's needs.

Gene
Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #970
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Excellent summation Gene. Your explaination is spot on.

Quote:
But I don't believe that the WBCCI leaders are that dumb about MH's. From all I've read, MH's are constant repair machines and an older Airstream MH must have lots of work involved. I can't blame them for wanting something new, but I think they have to choose between being a member of an Airstream club and owning a new MH.

If they bought lifetime memberships, that was a bad investment and they should accept that rather than fighting over an issue that hurts the club in the long and short run. They have choices—they can keep their old Airstream and buy a new something else; they can pay someone to do a serious upgrade of their MH, or they can accept reality and move on. I can understand that their friends want to help them. Wanting to help someone who is in a spot is an admirable trait, but they have to balance that against what this controversy does to the club they are supposed to protect and nurture. They are putting relatively minor considerations and personal friendships over the wellbeing of the entire club. The directors have a fiduciary responsibility to protect the club, not meet a few of their friend's needs.
Also worth noting, it was reported that the lifetime membership fund will be inadequate in the not too distant future. Making a new provision for lifetime members would only further complicate matters, calling for more redress down the line.

photography
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #971
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Excellent summation Gene. Your explaination is spot on.

Also worth noting, it was reported that the lifetime membership fund will be inadequate in the not too distant future. Making a new provision for lifetime members would only further complicate matters, calling for more redress down the line.

It may not need to last that long anyway
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #972
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not see how the quality of Thor MH or airstreams trailersis revelant to this admendment. Simply put, they are not airstreams. I do not care if they would pass the NASA inspection for the space shuttle. And there is not logic to it being Thor motorhomes anyway. Well, maybe logic like congress uses, or something.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #973
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
My table in my 1990 345LE does not wiggle... I am just saying.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #974
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
I've said this before. There were two models sold in SAAB showrooms at the same time, when owned by GM. the 97x and the 92x, the former was a Chevy Trailblazer and the latter a Subaru Impezza. Therefore the SAAB dealer was servicing a chevy and subaru engines, done all the time in the auto industry. I'm guessing a completely different form of dealership agreements with the RV industry or something?
but, could also be, it's not worth it to satisfy the needs of what? less than 200 people? Hopefully after Int'l it will be put to rest for good.
Dan
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #975
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Last year Airstream was supportive of the small (less than 50) members that expressed an interest in new motorhomes. They asked for deposits but no one came forward with the money, so Airstream withdrew the offer Last January. The leadership should have taken Airstream's experience into account and never brought forward the motion. That is all behind us now. Maybe this time we can really put the peg into the vampire's heart for good.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #976
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Hopefully after Int'l it will be put to rest for good.
Dan
Hope is good, but I don't see any outcome of the delegate vote that would put this issue to rest "for good".

It got voted down in 2004 (granted, just a member survey) and again in 2007, but it's back again this year. If it gets voted down this year there's nothing to keep it from coming back next year or the year after.

If the present motion passes then the next thing will be more amendments to remove the life member requirement. (Already introduced at this year's mid winter IBT.)
Old 01-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #977
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
it's not worth it to satisfy the needs of what? less than 200 people?
Dan
Dan at last years delegates meeting I brought up the FACT that the committee never studied or polled members to find what if any demand existed as in how many wanted this product..

Answer was no!

I also went on the record that the committee never had one conference cal and only exchanged 8 emails resulted in a less than adequate report by a bias group.

Quote:
Hopefully after Int'l it will be put to rest for good.
They can bring it up every year!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #978
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Actually, I have been pleasantly surprised with the lack of "full court press" by the IBT on the motion this year. I think they have posted the same number of letters for and against the motion, however the letters for come from the "establishment" and the letters against come from "mere members".

Remember the pressure and articles before on how this must be passed to save the club, nothing like that this year. Maybe the IBT realizes what a bad idea this motion is.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #979
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Remember the pressure and articles before on how this must be passed to save the club, nothing like that this year. Maybe the IBT realizes what a bad idea this motion is.

Bill
Bill,

It was nice to see your 'Dear Editor' letter got published in the Feb BB. Well said on your part.

--Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #980
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
Bill, It was nice to see your 'Dear Editor' letter got published in the Feb BB. Well said on your part. --Dave
I second that. Very good letter, Bill.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci