Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #861
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
As someone who is considering an Airstream, this whole discussion has been quite interesting and educational. I've liked Airstreams for nearly 50 years, having read and reread (many times) Wally Byam's book Trailer Travel Here and Abroad. I've always assumed that if we were to purchase an Airstream, we would join WBCCI. After reading this thread, though, I'm wondering about that assumption.

Last year we bought our mpg as a "learner" trailer. We immediately joined the Heartland Owners' Club. Heartland is now a part of Thor, as is Airstream. If an Airstream owner wanted to join the Heartland Owners' Club, the application would be rejected because HOC is a brand-specific club. One must own a Heartland product in order to join. HOC does have one small difference for members, though. Membership is for a three-year period, so if a member buys some other brand, they would still be entitled to almost all of the benefits they had while they owned the Heartland product. At the Missouri Rally this past fall there were a few people who now own a different brand, but camped with the rest of us anyway because they were still friends with people in the Missouri chapter. I don't think they would be allowed to bring their new rigs to the National Rally, but they would be free to camp somewhere else and participate on a daily basis until their membership ran out.

We were able to visit the Air Midwest Rally in Branson this fall, too, for a brief time. I would have liked to stay longer and visit, but we weren't able to do that. (Our problem, not the Rally's.) It would have been interesting to talk to those people and see what they had to say about this issue.

BTW, one possibility we're considering is an Airstream Classic DP MH. Yes, I know it is nearly 20 years old, but that's what we can afford, and we really like the looks of them. It also doesn't hurt that they are rather rare.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Old 12-31-2011, 04:36 AM   #862
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I do not think TAC or AirForums rallies allow not non-Airstreams to be regular members. If you own a non-Airstream vintage trailer, Tin Can Tourists and the 50 State vintage trailer clubs hold some very nice rallies and Airstreamers are free to attend. Their dues are less than WBCCI, but there are not as many activities per year. Good Sam and Escapees are also available with similar programs. If you are a motorhome owner, FMCA is a good choice and most of the motorhomes owners in WBCCI are also members of that organization.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #863
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Anyone may attend AirForums Rallies!

I hope you will join WBCCI when you do decide which Airstream is right for you. We (and most of those posting on this thread) greatly enjoy membership and the members. Otherwise, we would walk away from the politics, rather than work for change!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #864
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Actually Airforums has many vintage kin owners. Many of those members are very active on the Airforum and attend many rallies.
TAC is open to anyone curious about Airstreaming. It is a hope that by sharing others will be converted. TAC is however an Airstream club and not a Thor club, thus it being called "the Airstreamer's Club" and not The Thor Club.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #865
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
To David, KB0ZKE: I noticed your post and handle and concluded that you are a licensed ham radio operator. I too, am a licensed ham, W9CJX, as well as an Airstream trailer owner and 20 yr. member of WBCCI. I also use Air Forums when looking for help or guidance from other members to quickly find a workable solution to something I need. WBCCI also has a very active ham radio club sponsoring the RV Service nets on HF. You have an excellent opportunity in 2012 in you are a WBCCI member. The WBCCI International Rally will be just down the road from you in Sedalia, MO. You can meet other Airstreamers, including 20+ hams. Regarding motorhomes, this entire thread would not exist had the Airstream company continued to manufacture motorhomes after 2006. Owners of Airstream motorhomes are now "orphaned" by a business decision of Airstream and their parent corporation, Thor Industries, Inc. If you owned an Oldsmobile, Pontiac Mercury, Plymouth, or DeSoto brand car, you would be in the same boat. There are probably no brand specific owners groups for these cars, but if there were, you get the idea. Without taking this subject any further, just enjoy your Airstream, travel where you want & when you want and collect information from many sources. Draw your own conclusions but still keep your goal as having fun and don't be distracted by the plethora of naysayers. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #866
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
As it happens, we're going to try to drive up to Sedalia this summer, possibly in our Mercury! We'd really like to talk to someone who owns or has owned a Classic DP motorhome. Since Sedalia is only about 90 minutes from here, we won't be camping there, just visiting a bit - assuming that that's permitted.

I'll monitor the Sedalia 2-meter repeater when we come up.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #867
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You can visit the fairgrounds but there will be volunteer security checkers at the evening entertainment events checking for valid Rally ribbons.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #868
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Vintage open house is the best time to visit.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #869
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
David, when you come to Sedalia for a visit, besides the Sedalia repeater, try 146.42 mhz simplex. This is the frequency that the WBCCI ARC uses as well as an informal morning net around 8:00 AM during the rally. You can also go to the WBCCI.ORG website in early June and download the entire rally program with the schedule of events. Then you can decide which day you want to attend. The Vintage Club open house is good, however, there are other activities during the day that may interest you. Security checks for registered members is only at evening meetings or entertainment. You're also welcome to come to the vendors area and look for me at the WBCCI Club store booth.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #870
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Ganz gut! I'll check the schedule in June. We're starting to work on our summer travel plans now, but at this stage it is pretty much looking at maps to figure out where everyplace we want/need to visit is in relation to each other, and then try to put together some sort of logical route.

I'm assuming that this event will be at the State Fairgrounds?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #871
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The IBT has not allowed Ryan to amend the Motorhome amendment as passed by the IBT back in July. Unfortunately the IBT does not have enough guts to kill the amendment in total (as they could) and therefore we will be stuck with another 6 months of arguments and the resultant loss in membership and image that will result in less potential members joining. The IBT is overseeing the demise of the club and taking no action to help stabilize membership.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #872
Rivet Master

So does anyone have the original wording of the motion that was passed by the IBT last year to move forward?

I've only seen the cut-up version of the possible amended version that was supposed to have been put in front of the IBT at the mid-winters.

Enjoy,
Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #873
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
So does anyone have the original wording of the motion that was passed by the IBT last year to move forward?
Motion 3 at this Mid Winter IBT is to amend the proposed constitutional amendment resulting from last summer's IBT, so if you look at Motion 3 and ignore the lined-out and added words you should have it.

The entire agenda is at

http://www.wbcci.org/documents/IBT%2...013%202012.pdf
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #874
Certifiable

. , .
Here's the original wording of the motion that was passed by the IBT last year as reported in the November Blue Beret:

"Motion: Regular members who are LIFE MEMBERS may, upon request, retain their membership as Regular Members if they replace their Airstream manufactured recreational vehicle with a Class A motor home manufactured by a division of Thor Industries, Inc., the parent company of Airstream, Inc."

Shortly thereafter it was decided that this motion needed to be amended: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ml#post1079108
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #875
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
Do motions put forward to the meetings get run past a quaified person, like a lawyer, to make sure the words say what they are intended to say, from a legal perspective, and will stand up to interpretation by a competent court? Some motions look like they were cobbled together by the script writers of the old Amos and Andy show.

Consequences of a badly worded motion, rule, etc? Paradise Park restricted membership to owners of Airstream travel trailers and motor homes. A court ruled that if the intent was that only Airstream motor homes be allowed the wording would had been "and Airstream motor homes", and the park had to allow in other brands of motor homes. I suggest that an ad hoc ruling by a member of the executive during the course of a meeting does not serve the club well.

Too bad there is no vehicule for discussion within the club by club members. A little communication might be a good thing.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #876
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The great majority of club members, who wish to discuss things, know that AirForums has a great free place reserved for them to do it right here. AirForum moderators will let most any conversations occur, as long as they remain civil.

The parliamentarian is the person at the meeting that seems to be checking to see that the motions are in order and the Constitution and Bylaws chairman is at the meeting and have been making comments, and referring to the existing documents, to see that the motions do not contain things that would cause conflicts. I do not believe any of them have a law degree. Review of the budget and expenses show that, motions that are carried over to next meeting are usually run pass lawyers, hired by HQ.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #877
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Motions or amendments are not presented to a lawyer beforehand unless requested by perhaps the EC.

in the case of the Revision it was put before the clubs law firm for conflicts with Ohio state law by the President, none were found.

Motions are reviewed by the CBL chair Don Schafer for an opinion wherein he may question it's legality I believe, but he has no legal background.

I think any member can raise the issue.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #878
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
the resultant loss in membership and image that will result in less potential members joining. The IBT is overseeing the demise of the club and taking no action to help stabilize membership.
Dwight,

Exactly what loss of membership has occurred due to this proposed amendment?

How is the IBT or more specifically who is overseeing the this demise?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #879
Rivet Master

Bob,

You, I and the many other Airstream owners know the reason folks have left the WBCCI is because the actions of the IBT/EC7 (spending, MOHO, name change, Leo G getting kicked, revised const.,etc..) Many non-WBCCI have expressed on these very forums they have not joined the WBCCI or the VAC because of the actions of the IBT/EC7. We now even have folks refusing to come to WBCCI Buddy rallies because of the actions of the IBT/EC7 that were once members of the WBCCI. And the ex-members or possible future members will not comeback/join because of their actions.

As for the numbers, did you not hear Don M. report on membership? Did we not have over 400 members not renew?

And then you have Jim F. saying "Put an Airstream sticker on anything".

I only hope someday the VAC, CAC and a few other units will walk away from the WBCCI and it's leadership and start a new club. The day that happens, you will create the fastest growing Airstream Club since the WBCCI was created.

Enjoy,
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #880
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Don't let the door hit you in the butt!!! I'll probably be with you. jim
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci