Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #741
Rivet Master

Lynn,

I now know why you have a smile icon at the bottom next to your name, cause you're so funny!

Where's the "I'm holding my breath" icon when you need it.

Enjoy,
Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #742
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Have expressed our opinion--

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Paula and Ed

You comments reflect the view of the current majority of the members. However that majority is rapidly decreasing because of the political efforts of a small group within the Leadership of the Club that would like to redefine the Club for their personnel benefit.

I would ask those that have recently joined this thread to read "rideairs" original post, quoted below, and consider how long that air of Fun and Friendship will be available to us if the membership diminishes below the critical mass.

We can take some time now and work to prevent the loss of the Club or we can sit back and do nothing leaving us plenty of time to remember the Fun and Friendship times later.

How long would it take you to voice your opinion at a unit meeting that would set a course to preserve the Club. Isn't that 5 minutes worth it. Even if your unit has decided not to send a Delegate that opinion can be presented at the International by another unit that your unit has empowered to vote for yours.

The VOTE, use it or lose it.
We have expressed our opinion to our leadership at our local club....not sure what beyond that, we can do. Are you suggesting there is more that we can do? We are not interested in wearing Berets.....it seems one must move up the leadership chain to have any say in the club (other than our local).....am I wrong about this? paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #743
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I suspect there are many new members who have no interest or concern about the MH issue. Even in our Unit of older members there is no concern about letting THor MH's into WBCCI. They don't realize the negative impact this action will have on our Club. If you try to talk to them they turn against you and you take the chance of destroying friendships.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #744
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The future of the WBCCI depends on attracting and retaining new members. Where does one find new members? Try attending Alumapalooza, take a look at the list of folks attending the Can Opener, visit Falluminum or any one of the TAC Rallies. All these events attract large numbers of folks who love the lifestyle, love the product, and don't need new big-box motorhomes to do so.

Where is Airstream finding business? In all these locations and among those who have never owned an RV before. They are looking for those seeking fun, fellowship and adventure and want to spend long weekends at special destinations.

Wouldn't it make sense for the WBCCI to do the same?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #745
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
Where does one find new members?
The issue isn't the size of the pool to find new members or Airstreamers being aware of the existence of the WBCCI. There are over 60,000 Airstreams on the road. The issue is that most don't want to belong to an organization stuck in the 1950's. I have been a member of the WBCCI for the last 7 years. I haven't decided yet if I will rejoin for 2012. I am appalled by the self-serving actions of the IBT expecially that they are pushing to let non Airstream product into the organization. If I could just join a unit only and be excluded from the national orgaization, I would.

The jury is still out but it is not looking good.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #746
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The obvious question is: What is it that attracts these Airstreamers to attend these events but do not bother to joint the club? WBCCI has never run a potential member survey to determine what should be changed to attract new members. At least 10 existing member surveys have been conducted but that sampling technique does not answer the question.

Most people in leadership positions think they are doing a good job. Most businesses that fail are run by leadership that does not understand or keep pace with the clanging market conditions. Selection leadership by seniority is not an effective technique to grow or even maintain a business or a club.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #747
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
I am appalled by the self-serving actions of the IBT expecially that they are pushing to let non Airstream product into the organization.
You may wish to check you facts, the IBT is 18 people, they all do support that position, it's about 3-4.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #748
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
There are a few Units and a few Region officers interested in adding activities that do attract new members.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #749
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
You may wish to check you facts, the IBT is 18 people, they all do support that position, it's about 3-4.
Bob
Please clarify your statement. "they all DO support" or did you mean to say they all DON"T support that position. I ask this because 3-4 dose not agree with "all do"

For those that may question why I still beat my head against the wall I can say I only see one service that the WBCCI offers to the general membership. That is the blanket insurance policy that protects those who do step up to the plate and organize a unit rally. As soon as some other entity provides that service there will be little or no reason to continue beating my head against the wall and even less reason to retain my membership.

Some of the larger units could afford that cost themselves and clearly any region could at a far less cost than $65.00 per year per member.

If the members were to rally around and once and for all regain control of the Club the retention of the Club's heritage and exclusivity to Airstreams would be a secondary benefit.

The list of those that have tried and beaten themselves bloody is a long one. Several very good potential International Leaders have quit in frustration or been expelled and many more have voiced that intention. My question is how far down the Leadership ladder do they think they will be able to protect their own free ride. Will it make all the way through the current Leadership and maybe down to some of the current Regional Officers? I doubt it will even make it through the current Leadership if things don't change.

The term "Feckless Leadership" was coined a few years back. Who will be the last Feckless Leader?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #750
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Bob

For those that may question why I still beat my head against the wall I can say I only see one service that the WBCCI offers to the general membership. That is the blanket insurance policy that protects those who do step up to the plate and organize a unit rally. As soon as some other entity provides that service there will be little or no reason to continue beating my head against the wall and even less reason to retain my membership.

Some of the larger units could afford that cost themselves and clearly any region could at a far less cost than $65.00 per year per member.
Howie, I would be interested to know how many times that insurance has actually been used. Is it really that important? I'v never heard of a claim made against it.
1950 Spartan
Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #751
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Bob:

Enough of them support the issue to allow it to became a major divisive issue every few years. Very few, if any, have had the guts to stand up and vote against proposed "surveys", proposals, etc. related to non Airstream motorhomes.

Airstream corporation has abandoned the WBCCI; maybe it's time for the rest of us to also abandon it. When you stop beating your head against the wall, it feels much better. There are also many non WBCCi events now and growing.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Old 12-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #752
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Bob
Please clarify your statement. "they all DO support" or did you mean to say they all DON"T support that position. I ask this because 3-4 dose not agree with "all do"

Yes IMO from being at the International and speaking to several 3 or 4 are really pushing it.

The insurance cost more than think, if I recall one rally was over $1,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Bob:

Enough of them support the issue to allow it to became a major divisive issue every few years. Very few, if any, have had the guts to stand up and vote against proposed "surveys", proposals, etc. related to non Airstream motorhomes.
(if any) -- But a few of us did, that's what helps make it work as of now.

But it really is a moot point what the IBT thinks, it will be up the units/delegates vote to defeat this.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #753
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Howie, I would be interested to know how many times that insurance has actually been used. Is it really that important? I'v never heard of a claim made against it.
I too would love to see this fallacy made a reality. Tell us of one case where this insurance has actually(not campfire rumor that is now taken as fact) put into place.
As someone who HAS purchased event insurance, the statement of $1000 for one event is not really possible Bob(if it is, you might want to get on the insurance committee next, for it needs overhauling too). The WB has a policy that covers all events in a blanket policy, and do not take out individual policies for each and every event. Also as someone who actually has purchased said policies before, $1000 for one event would be one involving drinking, fireworks, and other high risk activities at a one time happening. I seriously doubt the WB has ever covered an event involving such activities. The largest cost to this glorious insurance has got to be the International Rally which has the largest draw. I am sure the caravans send the Actuaries at the insurer office, slide rules into a total hissy too. Talk about high risk...
Old 12-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #754
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
The 2011/12 Budget allocated $30,000 for insurance. This MAY include insurance on the office etc as well as the liability insurance. Don't know if that is the case.
I have seen one instance where a non Airsteam event had to use their event insurance,. After several years of legal wrangling the particular incident was dismissed.
The question in my mind is, would the drunk that fell into the barbecue pit in the dark have bothered to sue if there had been no insurance ?
It would be interesting to know what kind of claims have been made in the past.
I have always felt i was responsible for my own actions.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 12-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #755
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I too would love to see this fallacy made a reality. Tell us of one case where this insurance has actually.
How many times have you had a claim on your home or auto over the years?
The fact that it never happened is of no import, it only takes once to make up for all premiums.

Our unit gets an endorsement from HQ for our rallies (including coverage for drinking).

Most campgrounds require it.

I wonder for example what would hit the fan if any of the forum rallies had an incident.

Signing a waiver will not stop a lawsuit or likely be validated in court.

The organizer of the rally for sure would be named, the campground or property owner. Perhaps if it was a serious accident all participants may be named for contributory negligence.

I don't believe your home owners coverage would trigger coverage.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #756
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Again, "claims of if", but zero ACTUAL examples...
Life filled with fear is not a good life to live if you ask me. Why some use fear to control the situation is beyond me.
Also, when going through your rules and regulations, you might want to check on that "drinking" part. I think you might be surprised.

Home owners, uhm, knock on wood, never...
Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #757
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The insurance is for the protection of the club and its officers at all levels. It makes it possible to have volunteers come forward to become leaders and organize / conduct events for others to enjoy. Without it, who would risk their personal fortune to help the club. We certainly would not have been presidents twice or run three caravans.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #758
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
IBT meeting

The agenda for the upcoming IBT meeting is posted at http://www.wbcci.org/documents/Janua...T%20Agenda.pdf.

There are only 4 motions, 3 that are not particularly significant to most of us and of course the MOHO proposal.

I find it difficult to believe even the IBT would support allowing non Airstream people with Thor motorhomes to join the WBCCI but it looks like that is what they are trying for.

Hopefully this one will never make it to the delegates but that is probably wishful thinking
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 12-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #759
Rivet Master

The MOHO amendment (twice), name change (once) all coming from the IBT/EC7 does make what the IBT thinks matter. They have the power to bring any and every change they want forward by-passing the will of the membership and being able to throw it out for a vote. If both of these things had to run the same as the "Forest Amendment" they never would have seen the light of day.

So, let's think about for a second. The IBT/EC7 can form any Special Commitee they want, make sure they recommend what they want and move it forward.

Sounds fair to me!

Enjoy,
Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #760
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Rick,

As I recall the last motorhome motion allowed any owner of a specific Thor motorhome to become a member of WBCCI. This motion does the same.

My letter of opposition has gone out to IP, 1IVP, 2IVP, 3IVP, RP, UP and 1UVP.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
The agenda for the upcoming IBT meeting is posted at http://www.wbcci.org/documents/Janua...T%20Agenda.pdf.

There are only 4 motions, 3 that are not particularly significant to most of us and of course the MOHO proposal.

I find it difficult to believe even the IBT would support allowing non Airstream people with Thor motorhomes to join the WBCCI but it looks like that is what they are trying for.

Hopefully this one will never make it to the delegates but that is probably wishful thinking
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci