Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have taken pictures of all the motorhomes that have attended the big rallies for the last year, including the Gillette International and the Sugarcreek rally. Most of them have FMCA plaques prominately displayed. Most of them therefore have the majority of their motorhome friends also attending FMCA rallies. If they need to buy a new motorhome, and want to continue to rally with their friends, they can buy an SOB motorhome and do it at the FMCA rallies. The FMCA Rallies are usually larger and have better entertainment anyway.

If they have put too many miles on their Airstream motorhome and it is no longer reliable, there are plenty of low mileage Airstream motorhomes still available on the the web or Craigslist. Use this link to find them: rvs : craigslist eBay kijiji mash : US & Canada
Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #142
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1968 30' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Appleton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Doug calls this "pretzel logic".

It is confounding that members so supposedly loyal to the WBCCI Airstream Club would be so driven to drive some other brand yet retain their membership when no longer owning an Airstream.

Maggie

These motorhome owners will continue to be members because they will continue to OWN some type of Airstream.. It could be a group junker that they all share a piece of the title, but you can be sure the Airstream will NOT be their RV for travel when attending a WBCCI event. A move like this to skirt the intent of our club (for Airstream owners while using their Airstreams...) will be attempted to be done by changing the bylaws only.

No change to the constitution means no vote or discussion allowed from the membership.

If any unit presidents are reading this, please send an email, call, or write to your region president and tell them to VOTE NO on any amendments presented. Members, contact your unit president, and ask that they contact your region president. This type of change cannot be decided on without our members' input.

Sandy
Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Outside view.

Hi, if it is so important for so many people to buy brand new Airstream motorhomes, then the demand should be enough for Airstream to resume production; Somehow, I feel that this is not the case and these few people want things to change for them personally, not for the majority.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have a question that I am certain that some of you have researched and have a much better feel for than I do. What would be the cost of a complete overhaul, engine, transmission, drive train, gut the interior and replace with all new airstream components including all cabinets, appliances, flooring, ceiling skylights in lets say a 98 Airstream cat 350 diesel pusher? Lets put a new paint job and graphics on it too. Any one have an intelligent guess?
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While I would not want to place a number on this I am certain it would not be cost affective compared to the cost of a replacement coach. There is no doubt it would far exceed the value of an older unit. Primarily this would be because the owner would be buying all parts etc at retail along with a retail labor rate There have been studies on the cost of a replacing a car that way and it will be several times the original cost
Most restorations are a labor of love and a lot of do it yourself which of course would lower many of the costs

On the other hand it is highly unlikely that all of that would need to be done, particularly on a diesel.. ( I have 555K on the Cummins in my truck and see no overhaul in it's foreseeable future)

Surely all the cabinets, skylights appliances etc. would not be in unacceptable condition at the same time?.

This might be an interesting study to try to justify why an SOB motorhome should be allowed in the club, But then if I had a 98 Airstream motorhome that was in that bad condition after 13 years I wouldn't want to buy another of that brand anyway.

Not the answer you were looking for, but I don't that think a real number could be easily placed on it.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Here is two opportunities for you.
Click this link:
2005 AIRSTREAM It is only $97,000 less your trade in. So your net expense would be less than $50,000 and you would move up seven years newer.

Or, if you want to go cheaper, check this one out. Click this link: 2001 Airstream Land Yacht Model XL390 They are only asking $14,000 and you move up three years. It sure looks nice.

There are plenty of opportunities for you motorhome guys to stay Airstream rather than trying to convincing the other 93% of the club that Airstream does not matter.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I concur Rick, part of our obligation when coming on board at WBCCI is to keep our units in good working order. Was just wondering with all the repair/ refurbishment work that has been done on older Airstreams what would unrealisticly be the cost of a complete refurbishment, knowing full well that a complete class A motor overhaul should not have to be done as well as celing replacement and cabinets skylights etc should still be in good condition
. I would expect that if you had 50 to 100 K to throw at the project it could be good for another 10-20 years. Just looking for someone that could justify my thoughts.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #148
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
IBT types rejoice!With beauties like this continually coming up for sale, why would any WBCCI member ever want to buy an SOB, over an Airstream?
Because they have slideout envy, that's why. The neighbor across the street has an SOB motorhome festooned with at least 4 slideouts and our IBT types are stuck with one or two on available Airstreams. The only way the IBT can keep up with the Jonses is to wreck the club. The rest is simply excuses.

Funny, Airstream no longer makes trailers with slideouts and our IBT "friends" are not out there campaigning for anyone who wants a new slideout trailer to be able to run out, buy an SOB, and remain in the club.

As Tennessee Williams wrote, "There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity!"
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Does any one have a count on what percent of the IBT members have Class A motorhiomes? I think it is pretty high for the Past International Presidents, who still have a lot of influence on what gets voted on and what does not make it on to the agenda.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
As far as the president and vice presidents, I know that only one has a motorhome.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Does any one have a count on what percent of the IBT members have Class A motorhiomes? I think it is pretty high for the Past International Presidents, who still have a lot of influence on what gets voted on and what does not make it on to the agenda.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Plenty Out There

We have been looking at Airstream Motor Homes since August and there are a TON for sale. MOST are very nice. There is no need to look outside the brand, unless you want that "new car" smell. Oh and I found a couple of those too!

There is no need at all for allowing non-Airstream products in this club.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #152
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
The 2001 390XL above with just 35,000 miles fizzled out at just $45,400.00, below the sellers minimum reserve.

If you can't find but ONE IBT type to snatch up an extremely low mileage Airstream Class A then where is the real demand?

__
Part of the problem is the state of the 'luxury motorhome' industry in general. There are many, many coaches of this age coming on the market as their owners are either aging out of them or are upgrading to newer models with more slide-outs, more features and a bigger price tag. Supply and demand. One can get a far better unit than what Airstream had to offer in this price segment.

And while I'm at it, if one looks at where the Airstream motorhome (excluding the classics) sits in the overall market, the picture is not very good! One of the reasons that Airstream exited this Market was due to the simple fact that they could not compete on features or price with the larger manufacturers like Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Beaver, Safari, Newmar, Country Coach, Winnebago and even with the lower end of this market like the Thor brands of 4 Winds and Mandalay.

This segment is where I spend most of my service time. Not only have I not seen many Airstream motor homes, but the few that I have been in just can not compare to the other, more established brands in quality of components and construction, price, cabinetry and other features. Airstream can get away with this in the trailer market as they have no real competition for their aluminum 'iconic' trailers, but they fall far short when playing with the 'big boys'.

I'm sure that those in the WBCCI realize this after checking out their friends coaches (think FMCA) and get caught up in 'coach envy' and want some SOB that better suits their perceived image, tastes and wallet. The 'demand', if any, will be very small unless Airstream designs and builds a very unique motorhome and prices it accordingly. BTW, I know of 8 super luxury coaches that were recently ordered at prices of $1.5 million to over $2 million, so demand is there if the right product is brought to market.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #153
Rivet Master

Real nice 2005 39' here in my home town of Front Royal, VA only a little over 9,300 miles (that's right, less than 10K on the O.D.)

2005-39' Airstream Land Yacht 396XL Motor Home 2 Slides
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #154
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
You folks may want to read the new constitution as it may relate to this issue!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
OK Bob,

You got my interest.

What does the new constitution say about non-airstream product owners being in the WBCCI?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #156
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Part of the problem is the state of the 'luxury motorhome' industry in general. There are many, many coaches of this age coming on the market as their owners are either aging out of them or are upgrading to newer models with more slide-outs, more features and a bigger price tag. Supply and demand. One can get a far better unit than what Airstream had to offer in this price segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

And while I'm at it, if one looks at where the Airstream motorhome (excluding the classics) sits in the overall market, the picture is not very good! One of the reasons that Airstream exited this Market was due to the simple fact that they could not compete on features or price with the larger manufacturers like Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Beaver, Safari, Newmar, Country Coach, Winnebago and even with the lower end of this market like the Thor brands of 4 Winds and Mandalay.

This segment is where I spend most of my service time. Not only have I not seen many Airstream motor homes, but the few that I have been in just can not compare to the other, more established brands in quality of components and construction, price, cabinetry and other features. Airstream can get away with this in the trailer market as they have no real competition for their aluminum 'iconic' trailers, but they fall far short when playing with the 'big boys'.

I'm sure that those in the WBCCI realize this after checking out their friends coaches (think FMCA) and get caught up in 'coach envy' and want some SOB that better suits their perceived image, tastes and wallet. The 'demand', if any, will be very small unless Airstream designs and builds a very unique motorhome and prices it accordingly. BTW, I know of 8 super luxury coaches that were recently ordered at prices of $1.5 million to over $2 million, so demand is there if the right product is brought to market.

"OUCH!"
This post may get censored?

Dave
Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
best moho?

I have to agree with Lew -- the best motor home for the money hasn't been an Airstream. But the Airstream has been the only brand providing access to WBCCI membership. That's worth a lot if you can afford it.

We're committed trailerites -- for now. Love our CCD 25 and have never seen a model we'd rather have, regardless of brand. But . . . if we wanted a motor home then we would have been hard pressed to pay the premium for Airstream.

Used Airstream motor homes, on the other hand, are readily available and look great to us. We'd be perfectly happy, if we wanted to buy a motor home, picking from the used Airstream class A's.

Like Rick said, the mileage on the diesel powertrains isn't a threat -- he has over 500k miles on his diesel and going strong all over the country.

Easy to see why Airstream couldn't keep "producing" class a motor homes -- tiny niche. Harder to understand why WBCCI thinks survival hinges on membership from owners of Thor-branded motor homes. Then again, it's very difficult to understand management decisions from down here in the trenches.

Despite warnings to the contrary (apologies to LG,) we're not gnoshing and kvetching over our club's crummy outlook. Instead we're enjoying camping and fellowship with our airstream friends. We met them through the club, we continue to see them through the club, and club events (caravans, internationals, regionals, and unit) continue to promise we'll reconnect with old friends and make new ones too.

I appreciate the suggestion (Bob's?) to let our region and unit Prez's know our position on Airstream vs other brands in this airstream owners' association. And I'm glad Region 3's President is not only reading but commenting on this thread.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #158
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
As I noticed in another thread a SOB motor home came to the IBT towing the new sprinter Airstream and nothing was said. I think the whole problem has been solved, not how I would like it, but has been solved. It will be a sad day when an IP with a SOB is installed.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #159
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Supposedly they must reside/ live/sleep/? in the Airstream vehicle.. My bet is the SOB is not being used a a storage unit.
I recall encountering a Prevost/sprinter combination somewhere in the last year, possibly in a rest area, and wondering if it wasn't a little overkill. Can't be too many of that combination out there
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #160
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1968 30' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Appleton , Wisconsin
The nagging question that I have not heard answered by anyone from the IBT rally:

Were there any members attending the rally, parked completely off-site, that were not in a hotel but in a non-Airstream RV? Norm's response only addressed the Prevost on-site.
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci