Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Not the prettiest picture I have seen painted of the WBCCI by you. How's that working with your membership drive?

Gathering of like minded individuals upon justice and reason is always a winning proposition. I see this thread as generating fine thoughts which should be a precursor to any action worth pursuing. Not a snowballs chance in Hot Places? We'll see what the future brings, but with hope and not apathy.

Fighting losing battles may be fatal to political aspirations but it cannot be beat for morale.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
So -- where do you want YOUR newsletters to come from Carol?
You are funny. I might just have to run a newsletter competition.

I applaud any unit that introduces the personal touch to welcome, invite and mentor new members and monitor inactive or members that have left. That is as it should be in a unit. I know you have done well for your unit and they have appreciated the fun and vitality you have interjected.

What I am saying is that members should retain the choice to be a MAL if they desire and I could not list the possible reasons any better than Terry did in his post #11. But I do also support that local units may court MALs, I just want the option to remain for those that do purposely select it. There is room for success in both eventualities for a MAL. But force feeding units to MALs does not agree with my constitution.

photography
Old 02-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #23
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Seems to me I've noticed a trend here (& in other WBBCI rules based err, "discussions"...).

Folks like the Airstream because of the design, quality and aura - what it represents. Travel, freedom, gone with the wind, etc., etc...

The old school, that is those that "joined" as members of a club, usually stuck with the status quo. Had their local chapter that developed their local culture within the context of the larger organization. Did things together and planned events. But there were ways to do all that and we have rules, dangit!

Times change and people, because of the changing times, change their habits. We as a society became alot more mobile and in more ways than just with vacations and leisure time activities. Work, internet, information, all that plus, makes the world a smaller place. Ain't WiFi and satellite TV/radio great?

MAL's seem to be becomming a very large and vocal part of WBBCI. And if you're paying american $$ for membership, you generall expect to have a say.

What I find ironic is that the Airstream represents travel and adventure. Not sitting still and moving en masse. So why doesn't WBBCI recognize that and leadership figure a way to include vs. exclude dues paying members? Why does the basis have to be upon a local chapter who may or may not represent Airstream owners?

Kim and I didn't join initially because of several reasons, one being that we wanted to embrace something rather than having to conform. Heck, I didn't like doing that as a kid.

So why not embrace "Airstreamers without Borders", WBBCI? Seems leadership has to think of some new and innovative ways to address these changing time and to change with the times! There's alot of new people coming in and they all have great ideas, too.

OK... I'm done.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
MAL or 4CU?

Hi, Carol,

Just a little request for clarification. . .

Your signature line says, "WBCCI MAL #17241, 4CU"

Which is it? Are you a MAL or a member of 4CU? Can't be both.

(A while back I thought you were giving up on WBCCI altogether--guess you changed your mind.)

Keep smiling,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Nuvi, I did not reup right away on my dues automatically hoping that collectively with others it might have been a voice to headquarters in a priority I think they do respect in diminished revenue.

I will have to check. I thought I could be an associate of 4CU, Richard kindly offered to pay my dues if I reupped in WBCCI, can't let a deal like that pass, I'm very shrewd saving money. I also felt obligated to be current if I wanted to speak my mind and this issue concerned me very much, too much for a non-member. It's an Airstream club, where else would we really go? But SHHH don't tell, I believe that is part of what enables such ruthlessness at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F
Hi, Carol,

Just a little request for clarification. . .

Your signature line says, "WBCCI MAL #17241, 4CU"

Which is it? Are you a MAL or a member of 4CU? Can't be both.

(A while back I thought you were giving up on WBCCI altogether--guess you changed your mind.)

Keep smiling,
Nuvi

photography
Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hi Nuvi, I did not reup right away on my dues automatically hoping that collectively with others it might have been a voice to headquarters in a priority I think they do respect in diminished revenue.

I will have to check. I thought I could be an associate of 4CU, Richard kindly offered to pay my dues if I reupped in WBCCI, can't let a deal like that pass, I'm very shrewd saving money.
Carol.

Believe me, I know where you're coming from. After the SOB MoHo issue was defeated last Int'l I decided I was going to ignore WBCCI politics and concentrate on doing positive things with and for the unit(s) we've joined and hang out with.

Then when I read on Save Wally that there may be an effort to bring back the SOB MoHo issue by stealth I was depressed for a week. It may very well be that the only vote that makes any difference with the IBT is the one where we do or don't write that check every year. Unfortunately, delaying it a few months won't make much difference, only the "gone for good" route.

I don't think "technically" you can be an associate member of a unit while being a MAL, but I could be wrong. Wonder if you could be an associate member of a unit without paying dues to International at all. . . .?

Best,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Where is time best spent?

OK,

If one thinks about, were is a units membership person time "best" spent. Out of the 350 MALs we contacted, less than 10 percent decided to join the WDCU (about 22 people). Now remember, that was after I spent many hours on this and other forums trying to get the MAL's to join the WDCU just so they would have a vote (yes/no) on the MOHO. That does not take into account the email blast from "savewally" asking them to join.

Now, you take 22 MALs across the 147 Units (about) in the WBCCI that's would be one MAL's converting for every 7 Units. So, is a units time best spent "trying/hoping" to get a MAL to join there unit?? And thats to a person that has already shown they do not want to be part of a unit! Or, is the time better spent trying to get a new owner of an Airstream to join there unit?

Where would you spend your time?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Paul - just a side note.

It would be interesting to see - the +/- on the Mals from year to year. Or the migration of MALs to units or that have not renewed.

Perhaps a MAL and a NEW owner is one in the same thing? Would be interesting to see that stat as well. How many are new owners of airstreams - be they brand new units or resales of any year make or model.

I guess the bigger question would be - how many jump in and how many jump out and what would their average staying power be?

Time is always better spent encouraging and assisting, with equal importance - all members and potential members a like.

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #29
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
This club happens to have a MAL category. I can't find a single reason why that classification should exist, nor can I find a single reason why it shouldn't be done away with.

We generate so many MALs today because of the convenience of signing members up by credit card. That's it -- that's why. HQs doesn't have the time to talk to each individual that signs up about what unit they should belong to. It takes too much time because HQs can't answer a lot of common questions you might expect an applicant to ask. So we generate MALs, more now than ever. Why? It has nothing to do with independence, voting rights, or the cost of dues. It has to do with PLASTIC.
I was a member when the MAL came to the forefront. It was a portion of the ill fated free year of membership program that WBCCI did a number of years back. There was no equitable way to assign this new buyer to a unit and be sure they were getting added to a unit that worked for them. The concern was that the member was "forced" into a unit. So MAL was created and persists to this day. There is a catch 22 in place, MALS cannot vote so they can't vote to change their status......

I believe Leo has hit the nail on the head regarding the credit card issue. The club as a whole has not kept up with the world and the way things work in the real word. If I want to Join the club at 3 AM in my pj's they need to have a way for me to do that. If I only have one choice to do it via credit card, then that is what I am going to do. Many MALs I have met just want to belong so they can attend a rally here and there or take a caravan once in a while. It is all about belonging, not necessarily about voting. I think the initiative from last year proves that.

The units that allow for web sign up and take a credit card will see members in their area join through a unit. It is all about making it easy. Every time I have ever mentioned the idea of taking a credit card for dues the push back I get is "the fees on that are expensive". So we are going to miss out on a potential member because we are unwilling to eat 5% of the membership fee..... thats just DUMB.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #30
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F
I don't think "technically" you can be an associate member of a unit while being a MAL, but I could be wrong. Wonder if you could be an associate member of a unit without paying dues to International at all. . . .?
You cannot be a an associate member of a unit without paying international dues.

the Associate/Affiliate member dues is not a way to dilute the members attention as has been mentioned here, but was initially set up for members to cover the costs of including them in the unit mailings, etc. It is also a way to test the waters of a different unit and be a member vs. a visitor if you are looking to switch. I am a member of one unit, an Affiliate of another and a member of the VAC. Does that mean I do not pay attention to the unit that I am on the board of, NO. I took an oath of office and I will fulfill my term(s). I know that some unit constitutions prohibit Affiliates form serving in elected positions in their unit. Some members do this to prevent being asked to serve. All those that can do, those that choose not to serve are still valuable because they add to the membership and bring something to the table by participation, IMHO.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote