Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
WBCCI Forum

I just wanted to remind WBCCI members, ex-members, and potential members that WBCCI has it's own forums at: http://www.wbcci.org/Forum/ -

They are not as big as this site, and the topics revolve around the club, but recently club news has been posted very quickly on those forums, mostly thru the person of Region 5 Past President Bill Schrader. It is great to see club information and news starting flowing down to us at "web speed". Recent postings on the WBCCI Forums have included:
1. Information from the Winter IBT almost before the meetings ended (OK this occurred a few weeks ago).
2. Notification that there will be a plaque dedication in Bull Shoals, Arkansas in April to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1st WBCCI International Rally there. (Today)
3. Notification that Vera Leuch passed away today. She, along with her husband Bert were the last Charter members from when WBCCI was formed 52 years ago.

There is more to read on these and other topics. Activity there is picking up slowly. For those with an interest in WBCCI it would be worth your while to check it out every now and then.

Joe Peplinski
WBCCI Communication Advisory Committee Member
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks Joe for taking the time to inform us that things are moving at the WBCCI forum somewhat.

We will take a boo now that I saw your post....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Smile Currently seeking a vintage Airstream?

Joe,

Be patient. Your '85 will be Vintage in just a few more years!

Gosh, that's a scary thought. . . !

Agreed on the WBCCI forum. I watch it regularly. . . and the pages load faster than AS Forums' on our dial-up connection out in the boonies!

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Am I wrong in my observation that WBCCI gets little activity here?

Point in question, as new owners I didn't know about the Sarasota rally or the fact that it was a big one at that.

A thread here mentions it but it is tiny compared to the Springstream or Can Opener threads.

Makes no sense with the Sarasota event having 450 500 units and the other two with 30-40.

Why is that?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Different Audience

Bob (aka L I Pets),

There seem to be two different Airstream audiences. One that is very web active and a group that is not as web active.

The web active people have latched onto airstreamforums and it's growing like crazy. Some of the forum members are also WBCCI members. Many of the web active people don't want or need an organized club (I realize this is a generalization) The forum is great way to obtain information from a wide variety of people. The forum has even been used to solve problems in a pseudo-real-time manner. Events that are organized through the forum are fun but do not have a 50 year history. As the forum evolves there will likely be changes to how events are organized. Some will be highly organized and some are will be impromptu. That the beauty of the web. It's ever changing and can adapt quickly.

On the other hand, traditional WBCCI members don't seem to use the web as much (yes, this is also a generalization). Individual units of WBCCI may have a strong web presence but the WBCCI as a whole does not. WBCCI has relied on the Blue Beret magazine, annual directory, unit gatherings and similar methods to distribute information. This worked fine for many years and continues to work today for many WBCCI members.

I'm pleased to see WBCCI making strides to improve their web access. It is certainly time and will definitely help the club.

Long time members of WBCCI know the annual rallies and caravans. They know the FLA state rally is a big rally. They know when and where the International will be held. Many WBCCI members don't need the web to communicate. My mother and father for example never had a computer in their house but they certainly knew when and where the rallies and caravans would be held.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks Joe

As a new WBCCI member I needed the reminder about this site. Thanks Joe.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Bob, the WBCCI as nvest described so well, is a lot of word of mouth information. It is starting to get out on the web more but I really learn the most once at the rallies and by asking. It's been done that way for so long. Having a mentor in the club was and is a good way to start off.

But I'm like you. I like highly visible real time information. It was the enthusiasm and growing thread that got me to go to Florida for the forums rally. I have been to the Sarasota rally and it is a nice rally too.

One difference between the forum and the large WBCCI rallies is not having your own campsite but pulling up in rows in a field next to each other. It's a real group dynamic.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
yes, nvest described it well.

I hope the Fla rally next week isn't like walking into an old age home

Still it's odd that the members here that are going aren't saying much or maybe not too many are going.

Time will tell, I'll report from the trenches next week, I have my Verizion card ready to post my impressions.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Am I wrong in my observation that WBCCI gets little activity here?

Point in question, as new owners I didn't know about the Sarasota rally or the fact that it was a big one at that.

A thread here mentions it but it is tiny compared to the Springstream or Can Opener threads.

Makes no sense with the Sarasota event having 450 500 units and the other two with 30-40.

Why is that?
I agree that nvestysly's summary was good. I would like to add the fact that this forum is visited by 3 times more "guests" than "members". This is clearly an indication that the audience is made up of people who are not generally considered "joiners". So when a guest finally joins the forum, the emphasis is on informal rallies and caravans, which is consistent with the groups overall perspective. I would bet that a large number of WBCCI members that are also members on the forum are MALs (member at large) and thus has no unit affiliation. It all kinda fits.

We support both forum and WBCCI events. Great people no matter how you slice it.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Bob
My wife and I are 69 and we will be there.
boblee5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Great, how about we meet one morning and have a cup of coffee, I should be there Tuesday early noon.