Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
Wait.....you mean the local unit would begrudge the ONE DOLLAR in yearly dues that goes to the unit I belong to?????
No, I'd say they begrudge the $25 in yearly dues they feel should have gone into their coffers. I won't tell you what I heard said about those uppity new units that only charge $5 in dues and steal away members from all over the country.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Tom,
mid week rally's ? I head of them but did not think they they actually happend. I'm' 47 yo old , been there as a 15 yo helping my parents buy a new '77.
Now have '04 34 SOL. like you
Next best thing? would like '76 or '77 25ft Caravanner........)) as 2nd trailer.......
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
No, I'd say they begrudge the $25 in yearly dues they feel should have gone into their coffers. I won't tell you what I heard said about those uppity new units that only charge $5 in dues and steal away members from all over the country.
My take on all of this is that most of these renegade members joining the "uppity new units" would have preferred the MAL option anyway.....myself included. Only the vote convinced me to join a unit.

You are opening my eyes to really how dysfunctional WBCCI really has become! After all.....aren't we talking about an Airstream CAMPING club???

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
I guess they'll learn the hard way that if you don't offer what the consumer wants. You don't last.

We weren't stolen away by the FCU. We were driven away by our local unit to the FCU.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
I can tell you as for the 4CU we have brought in many NEW members (Like myself with my squarestream if you remember how the WBCCI disliked us)to the WBCCI and have got some MAL because they could not find a unit they liked and wanted a vote.We have also got member from other unit because they did not feel at home there or in some case where not even welcomed by the members and left on the outside.
I can also tell you that the last thing the 4CU is is uppity.I bet most of the things you have heard about ANY of the new less formal/traditional unit is wrong.
We do have lots of nice folks here that like to camp and we do have fun at our rallies.
Anyone is welcome to join us at a rally to check us out.We welcome all that would like to join that's the cowboy way.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
You are opening my eyes to really how dysfunctional WBCCI really has become! After all.....aren't we talking about an Airstream CAMPING club???
I agree 120%. And please note, I personally do not think those new units are uppity

Some people love the drama, and some people love to have their little kingdoms to control. I just want to go camping! I don't need all that other hooey!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
I agree 120%. And please note, I personally do not think those new units are uppity

Some people love the drama, and some people love to have their little kingdoms to control. I just want to go camping! I don't need all that other hooey!
We at the 4CU will forgive you for your laps in judgment.Because it's only John Deer green too.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yeah I too am offended by being called uppity.... I belong to the WDCU. We are considered one of those progressive new units. Our rallies are always thursday through sunday. Sometimes people come on wed and some stay till monday. I want you all to take good at this photo....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2926.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	68318
Do you see anyone not having a good time? Do these people look old to you? Do they look like the types to exclude someone because they work? More than 80% of those in this photo work. Now take a look at this one....

Name:	IMG_2948.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	68319
Does this look like some kind of politcally modivated event? No this a bunch of good freinds having a great time together. So when I hear these negative comments from the same people that have not been a part of the club I know, it makes me sad.

MiketheFixit, I invited you personally to come to this event, even offered to pay your way. Do you think you might have possibly had a good time?

And as so few seem to realize, this is a caravan club, not a camping club. I think quite a few have lost sight of that. We do that too....

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	68320

But for me, the real reason is this...

Name:	IMG_2920.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	68321
This is why we do it. Here is our clubs future.

If any of this "broke down non understanding" club looks good to you, The WDCU would love to have you come join in. Like these folks did Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	68322
It was their first rally and first event of any kind. From what I understand this coming weekend will be their second. Their regret.... not getting involved sooner. Come try it out, if you do not like it well, you probably should go somewhere else.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bowden , West Virginia
Tom, I invite you to join the Texas Hill Country Unit. You, the birds, cats and dogs travelled with our Unit this past spring on our Big Bend Caravan. Hopefully, we made a positive impression. Come on over and participate to whatever level your schedule permits. Come be a part of a growing changing Unit.

Ken
grannyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Tom -.....You could always volunteer to host a weekend rally. Jan and I host one every year with the 4CU and another with our flyfishing club. It's a lot of fun and everyone pitches in to help.
I know it sounds too easy - but attitude is half the battle. I totally understand your frustrations and have been in your shoes and left a unit as well. For much of the same reasons.....

But hey what Richard and Jan are doing (in that above quote) is what we all should try - it is not giving in nor is it "if you can't beat them join them"....

Put it more in the light of taking a vested interest in the club you so much wanted to have some great times in to better suit your schedule and interests and yet still have the ability to share in the "fun" with your airstream.

If talking to the officers is not to progressive for you - how about talking to the members within your unit - Are there others that would be up for a "Mini Rally" you know the kind - where you prepare and pack on the Thursday night - sit with anticipation all day at work Friday and then take the 4:00 tack team out the door to hit the road - and then arrive at night while everyone is sleeping and up and refreshed in the camping spot of your dreams (hopefully not a cow field) but with tall pines or views of majestic oceans - oh never mind where it is - you are away and with like minded people for some good times and have 1.5 days to forget about all the stresses of your life.

Now depending on the size of your unit - I bet there just might be a few others that would like some of that too.

Yes I know it is easier for many of us to say "I don't want to organize" but then how much organization does it really take to get a few camp sites and meet up with all doing their own thing to begin with until the spontaneous things start to happen and all chip in where and when they can...

But if leaving your unit is your solution to its existing problems then who are we or anyone here to stop you.

We choose to join and we choose to leave for all sorts of different reasons. All of us have very different ideals of what is fun for us and what needs we want met during our limited time.

I really do know how you feel and I chose to leave the Unit - but stayed in the "Club". And have been wandering around aimlessly until I got my head around several of the issues that surface on these forums almost on a daily basis.

I have participated now almost equally to WBCCI vs Forum events over the past 4 years - both numbers don't really amount to much as we too do not have the time to travel together (and a small point that our vintage trailers never seem to be finished) Getting a newer more functional one for now seems to have turned the corner for us. Has opened our eyes to simply Travel and Friends are the way to go.

In order to get this - each of us will have to find that step in getting what we want.

In or out of the club - they are all our choices.

A friend recently asked for patience - something I am not that good at. I am an infant in this club since 04 - what of the people that joined 25 years ago what have they carved out and how did they fit - do you honestly think all of them started when they retired????

What of all those teachers and instructor type jobs or seasonal people that joined Wally's caravans - they were not all retired. They wanted something and they made it happen for themselves - and created an opportunity to get together and do it more and more.....

Sorry to hear that your choice is to leave - but you will find what you are looking for eventually.

But perhaps if you offered a weekend Buddy Rally - you just might encourage more members to come out and join in - or even one up encourage an airstream owner in your area to join the "club"....

Good luck in whatever your endeavors are and safe and happy traveling in your Airstream.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyred View Post
Tom, I invite you to join the Texas Hill Country Unit. You, the birds, cats and dogs travelled with our Unit this past spring on our Big Bend Caravan. Hopefully, we made a positive impression. Come on over and participate to whatever level your schedule permits. Come be a part of a growing changing Unit.

Ken
Howdy Ken,

Pat & I've been talking about it. Thanks for the invitation, we'll give it some consideration.

tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote