Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I may not have stated this as fully as it needs to be. So, here are the facts as written in the VACs Constitution and bylaws.

Sec. 1 Regular Membership is open to all members of Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc. who own a vintage (one which is 25 or more years old) hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. Regular members pay dues and have a vote. (1/19/07)

Sec. 2 Affiliate members – Other members of WBCCI who do not qualify by owning a vintage Airstream recreational vehicle, but who for mutually beneficial reasons wish to belong, may become affiliate members. Affiliate members pay dues, but have no vote. (1/19/07)

Sec. 3 Honorary members – Honorary membership can be bestowed upon VAC benefactors provided they are members of WBCCI. This is a non-dues-paying and non-voting membership.

What we have been calling an associate member is really an affiliated member and that member does not have a vote. And those Members (affiliated or regular) do actually get a little more than a non-WBCCI subscriber in that they have access to things on the web site that the subscriber, non-WBCCI individual does not. That is by practice, not by decree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
from Tim 3rd VP Vac

All correct except;

Associate members are still members because they are in WBCCI. So it is more than just a subscriber.

A subscriber is only that, they are not WBCCI members so they only get a newsletter.

-------

That sucks
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #142
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
A few more suggestions submitted

-get rid of as many "distinctions" among members as possible e.g flags, name tags, parking, etc.
-pay extra and give spouse, partner, etc. a separate vote
-cut down on # of committees
-pay for hard copy of Blue Beret
-make the life membership option less complicated
-streamline pre rally stuff
- cut length of caravan and kitty requirements
-synchronize officer terms at all levels of the organization

Any opinions on these?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #143
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
-
-cut down on # of committees
-
-make the life membership option less complicated
-streamline pre rally stuff
Any opinions on these?
I recall counting over 130 committees in the Madison book. Surely all are not needed. Seem to recall one of the candidates for office listed a "canine waiver" committee, whatever that is.

Lets get rid of the life membership entirely.
Replace with a discounted 3 year or 5 year membership at set prices
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
"canine waiver" committee, whatever that is.
Rick, if you or I had a dog smart enough to wave we would want them to have their own committee too.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #145
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I recall counting over 130 committees in the Madison book. Surely all are not needed. Seem to recall one of the candidates for office listed a "canine waiver" committee, whatever that is.

Lets get rid of the life membership entirely.
Replace with a discounted 3 year or 5 year membership at set prices
Life membership is an area in need of attention, yes.

There are about 12 standing committees not 130????

Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #146
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Life membership is an area in need of attention, yes.

There are about 12 standing committees not 130????
I was referring to the committees that handle various things at the International.
I counted over 130 although perhaps they were not called committees. I no longer have a copy of the Madison program to confirm what they were called, but suspect it is way to many people getting early parking on our international dime.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
standing committees

I count 22 standing committees listed in the bylaws

Article 3 section 1 page 1 issued 7/5/10

List will not paste in properly, thus the page reference
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #148
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
There seems to be support for a professional event planner to be involved with this Rally, rather than the IP.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #149
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1968 30' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Appleton , Wisconsin
event planner

Maybe an event planner could arrange for entertainment that some younger members would like to see!!! I suggested hiring Antsey McClain and the Trailer Park Troubadours in the now defunct member section of the WBCCI forums on a thread started by 2nd International Vice President Don Clark. I met with Don on July 5th and asked about the Troobs performing at a future international rally. Don's wife said the band was too expensive.

And then I heard that the band performed at the Birthday Bash last summer and will be performing at Alumapalooza next June. How can they afford the Troubadors and an international rally cannot????

Taking the rally planning away from the president might perk things up!
redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagon View Post
Taking the rally planning away from the president might perk things up!
And it might allow the IP and IVPs to spend more time addressing other matters of more importance to the club than a single event that most members do not attend.

While I'm typing, the cost of the International Rally must be reduced. We've been to two Internationals. Quite possibly we will never attend one again unless the price is brought down significantly (<<$300). There is just very little value for the cost currently. I don't need to spend $500+ for a weeks camping (plus $100's in gas and other travel expenses, etc.) to visit friends and do very little else at International.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
I want a lower rally fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post

While I'm typing, the cost of the International Rally must be reduced. I don't need to spend $500+ for a weeks camping (plus $100's in gas and other travel expenses, etc.) to visit friends and do very little else at International.
I agree, this cost is out of line and then we are told at the current cost they can't afford good entertainment. You have to wonder what the early workers are costing those of us that can only attend the rally. Ways to lower the cost; reduce the need for so many early workers, charge those workers a camping fee for the days they are there early and work faster in setting the place up to reduce facility costs by reducing the number of days we need it. There is no reason to be at the rally site a month before the rally, seems to me I’m paying for an early worker private pre-rally party.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #152
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Agree, how does Good Sams do a super rally for a total fee of $325?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Rally costs

This years rally in Gillette made a profit of $85000. This works out to about $120. per attendee. This did much to make up for the $103,000 loss at Madison
which was a result of unrealistic planning. Unfortunately this profit was made on the backs of those attending the 2010 rally.

starting in 2004 the WBCCI found they could get huge amounts of money for providing 30 amp electric. The first few years $135, later over $200.

It is my understanding that the hook up sites in Illinois are costing $15.00 a day.
That means that for a 7 day rally the camping cost is $105. Not unreasonable, and obviously a boondocking option would not save a lot of money

So, the question is, what am I getting as a benefit for the other $380 plus in the rally fee??. How much would I be paying for camping and pancakes,dinners, and maybe tours for the early workers??

Is the 2011 rally going to be another $ 100 plus per trailer profit for the club?

This year we did not attend the International for the first time in about 15 years. Instead we attended 2 events that started out as WBCCI events,but were lost due to club politics. The Birthday Bash and The Pocono raceway rally. We saw many of the same friends, added some new experiences and just in general had a good time.(with out hook ups)

We will follow pretty much the same pattern in 2011, and are waiting to see what the cost situation will be in 2012.

I agree with Joe that there needs to be a lower cost International option, and it needs to be priced below $300.
It is not always a question of whether we can afford the cost. The question is, is it a value for the money.
The current International pricing does not meet my personal cost/benefit criteria
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
If one reviews the detail budget for the International, it is revealed that the budget for the camping sites is for 13 days per attendee. In other words, everyone pays for 13 days camping regardless of the time you are there.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
I agree, this cost is out of line and then we are told at the current cost they can't afford good entertainment. You have to wonder what the early workers are costing those of us that can only attend the rally. Ways to lower the cost; reduce the need for so many early workers, charge those workers a camping fee for the days they are there early and work faster in setting the place up to reduce facility costs by reducing the number of days we need it. There is no reason to be at the rally site a month before the rally, seems to me I’m paying for an early worker private pre-rally party.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Good Sam has over one million members and up to 4,000 attend their big rally. Therefore the cost of entertainment is spread over a much larger number of participants and the cost per participant is lower. There is no mystery in those calculations. If we could get our attendance at the International back to 3,000+, like it was years ago, we could afford better entertainment and our per member rally cost could be kept lower. With the diminished attractiveness (to our average member) of the International we will not accomplish this goal. We only had 11% of our members attend the Gillette rally.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Lets see if I got this right. Good Sam with 4,000 attendees at a rally can afford good entertainment. The Birthday Bash with 84 attending rigs can afford entertainment, Antsey McClain, that our 1st VPs wife says is too expensive. Am I missing something here?

Someone had better get off the dime and do something soon. The Bash is scheduled for the same time as the International next year. At a lesser cost and better entertainment, great food, and cut off jeans where are you going to be on the 4th of July?

This Club, in its down hill run, has reached the military crest of the hill. That means the descent gets steeper from here on.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

. The Bash is scheduled for the same time as the International next year. At a lesser cost and better entertainment, great food, and cut off jeans where are you going to be on the 4th of July?
I would guess I will be the same place you will
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
1st vice president's wife is setting financial priorities and making entertainment decisions for the club. We have a million bucks in the bank drawing less than 1% interest, but she thinks investing in good entertainment is not worth it to her. I am glad we have so many good experienced successful business people determining what is best for the club. (sarcasm)
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
If one reviews the detail budget for the International, it is revealed that the budget for the camping sites is for 13 days per attendee. In other words, everyone pays for 13 days camping regardless of the time you are there.

Bill
And we know that most attendees are either 4 weeks or 4 days perhaps. Inequity? Yeah!!! Not only can we expect to pay more for electricity that we didn't want but we can fund all the perks that do not trickle down to mere members and still forego quality entertainment for more generic geriatric entertainment of trios, comedians spouting senior humor, and gospel singers. Aside from the Vintage Open House there is not much of a draw for anyone who isn't on the special receiving end of galas and tours and hospitality gifts and free parking for a month.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #160
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Best entertainment at Perry was a DJ, spinning non Lawrence Welk music!

We did have to bootleg our own refreshments

Tags
constitution revision, wbcci