Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A MAL is not only paying "full fright membership" to the International and they are in some cases paying a premium above that of unit membership, more than general membership to WDCU or 4 Corners.

What is the justification to restrict their running for office other than keeping them from invading the "Good Old Boys Club". If they can present themselves to the membership in such a way as to gather the votes needed to be elected than let them serve.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #122
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
The reason I feel they should not hold office is not having the benefit of belonging to a unit and learning the way the unit works and running/holding for/a office at the unit level first are they qualified?

I'm not closed minded so if you can explain your position, lets talk about it.

Howie the Mals pay $25 surcharge, it would be cheaper to join almost any unit.

Some don't join a unit because they feel they will be obligated to do a voluntary function, others just Caravan.

Someone brought up the idea of of giving them a deadline to join a unit like 5 years.

They miss out on unit newsletters in their area also so they are very much out of the loop.

There are about 650 Mals currently.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #123
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
"MALs shall be allowed to hold office."

There is no logical reason to not allow a MAL to hold office in an Intraclub, VAC, Radio club etc as none of these are geographic in nature.

I can understand a restriction on the region level
Is there a logical reason they decline to join a unit in the first place?

Rick why do U think they don't and not having done so Y would they even have an interest in joining an intraclub.

Ps: Dona just a short while ago received your info and distributed to all of us, thanks.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #124
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
On MALs and office-holding, one could also put it the other way around: They can run for any office they want, but with the restriction that they cannot participate in decision-making when units are involved.
Lynn
Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Is there a logical reason they decline to join a unit in the first place?

Rick why do U think they don't and not having done so Y would they even have an interest in joining an intraclub.

Ps: Dona just a short while ago received your info and distributed to all of us, thanks.
I know a number of people who wanted to join as a MAL just so they could join the vintage club.
I can even see myself in that position. I do belong to my local unit, but probably would be content with being a MAL and belonging to the vintage club and the Ham radio club. My local unit, although nice people, does little that fits into our interests and our interests don't fit well with many of them. The units that do are to far away.

Other reasons could be caravanning or access to the Airstream parks.

I have belonged to Escapees for many years but I do not belong to the local chapter.
I know of no other camping club that penalizes members for not joining a unit or chapter.
I would certainly encourage anyone to join their local unit. Just don't think it should be forced.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Rick, you can also imagine MAL status for folks who full-time in their Airstreams. (Think of folks who currently belong to the Escapees just so that they have a voting residence, mail forwarding, and some other stuff.) In effect, they no longer have a geographic location, a physical home attached to a bit of real estate that resides in the realm of some unit or another.

Lynn
Old 10-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #127
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
I know a number of people who wanted to join as a MAL just so they could join the vintage club.
Rick are you sure they can't join the VAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Rick, you can also imagine MAL status for folks who full-time in their Airstreams. (Think of folks who currently belong to the Escapees just so that they have a voting residence, mail forwarding, and some other stuff.) In effect, they no longer have a geographic location, a physical home attached to a bit of real estate that resides in the realm of some unit or another. Lynn
Lynn, not getting your point.

What does their voting residence, passport, drivers license, registration or insurance say?

They have a geographic location don't they?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Rick are you sure they can't join the VAC?
I think the present setup is that a non WBCCI member is basically a subscriber to the VAC newsletter. At one time there was an associate member category, but it was still basically a newsletter subscription. As a non wbcci member you could not , for example join with the club at the international or other non buddy rallies I don't think.
Tim or a current up to date officer needs to weigh in on this as I have been out of the VAC officer chain for a long time.

I suspect the VAC may actually have had a MAL president at one time, however if I am correct it was done out of ignorance of the MAL bylaws, or they were different in the late 90's. Not sure on this one, just a recollection.

A non member may belong to the WBCCI radio club but can not be an officer and the same restrictions I mentioned above apply.

I had not thought of the fulltimer thing Lynn brought up, but he has a good point. I have several non Airstream friends that use addresses in Livingston, TX through Escapees but really have no ties to the area. I know another that uses a FL address, but does not go there.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #129
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Lynn, not getting your point.

What does their voting residence, passport, drivers license, registration or insurance say?

They have a geographic location don't they? .
Nope, they have no stick home. Often they're "located" on all paperwork in Livingston, TX, which is the headquarters of the Escapees, but only a few of them live there. It has turned into several court cases because, even though they don't live there, they vote there and completely overwhelm the local voting population.

My only point is that if we have some of these types in our club, then they might be attracted by a non-locational MAL status. But I don't know that we have that many of them. (I know of only one couple, and they belong to a unit.)

In any event, I also believe that they should not be involved in decision making where units are involved.

Lynn
Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #130
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I am a MAL because I work every fri sat sun monday so there is no reason for me to join a unit since all unit activities are on a weekend. However, I do enjoy AS only parks and being part of the overall WBCCI concept. It makes no sense to me to join a unit in name only when I know I will not be able to contribute in any meaningful way. It would be nice to vote on a nationa level. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
And all units will eventually get around to expecting you to make it better by stepping forward and planning a rally or holding office and attending their functions. Frankly the unit news of many units is a list of attendees and the food consumed and the health and death notices, give or take. A MAL is at the International level and could enjoy region and International rallies, as well as unit activities if space is available and qualify for Airstream parks and other discounts. MALs tend not to fit a unit demographic for rallies and activities. They are wider in scope geographically and narrower in scope as to pitch in at the local events or hold unit office. However I do not see why they could not hold International office if elected. Sure they would not have put in their "due" with the march up but that also may be part of the rank and file system that leads to some disadvantages of its own making. Free elections sound fine to me. If the majority wants someone as an officer who are others to say they do not qualify?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I think competitive elections, where multiple candidates run against each other based on combined knowledge, as demonstrated by academic training documented on a real resume or curriculum vita, and proven ability to run a club successfully in terms of membership growth and financial solvency would be the ideal way to go within WBCCI at all levels. This has never happened in the past in WBCCI, but would be something to shoot for in the future. Having experience in running successful local, regional, or special event rallies would demonstrate experience and be a plus on the Resume.

In my experience, MAL's rarely try to take leadership roles, or gain leadership experience, as they are frequently just users of the resources and benefits available through the club. They usually just visit special event rallies, tag along on the caravans and use the cheaper Airstream only parks. In my experience. they are non-joiners or volunteers to do the grunt work, that is required to put on any function and therefore; should not be rewarded with election to office. Competitive elections, based on proven abilities, would eliminate them from consideration.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Can you say the leadership has been that great with all their experience thus far??? A sense of entitlement and who are you develops and blackballing others because they are not deserving by their self standards crowds out efficiency. I think that is shortsighted. If the people want inexperienced...(and that being only WBCCI experience) why not? It also gives more strength to the, "We have always done it that way" arguments in making change. Inexperience just might be the right approach! Even a criminal can be president why does the WBCCI require what they do when it hasn't worked to membership's advantage anyway? It isn't as if a single individual can do much harm without the agreement of the rest of the IBT any way. The problem is they are groomed to be in agreement for years, that is their special experience. I agree a platform statement and running mates should exist. I was told as a member of a unit rather than a MAL I could vote, but vote for whom I said since there is no competition for offices, the elections are mostly mock, except to justify the travel expenses for "business," monkey business. It's all who you know and getting in line for that train...

I am wondering if there has been progress in establishing voting standards or if voting tabulation still varies by unit. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...tml#post377099 I still like 1 member 1 vote best. I also think candidates should be allowed Blue beret space without charge and that all candidates must submit a platform statement and that unit instructions be fair and include all candidates and that the nominating committee no longer included their choice and only their choice as a recommendation to each unit.

photography
Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #134
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I also think it is imperative not to sweep glaring misconduct under the rug that past misdeeds in the application of voting procedures and grievance actions by prejudice should be redressed by the current IBT and an apology be issued to all members and especially Leo G. and that he be reinstated as punitive damages and for reparations by the current IBT. And I do believe that is "new" business to improve and protect all members of the WBCCI. Disposing of Leo has not "solved" the problem. What happened to Leo G. did not only happen to Leo but has happened to all of us as members of the WBCCI. It easily has and will translate to others. Member rights and judicial justice must be upheld. That is another thing our dues should pay for...

photography
Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If a platform statement means"This is what I want to do for the club" I am all for it.

Resumes should be greatly abbreviated. I want to know where the candidate wants to take the club.
I do not much care where the candidate went to school in 1960, how long he/she has been married or how many grandchildren he/she has.
It is quite likely that some one with limited experience with the WBCCI could do a better job than some we have had in the past. At least they haven't had time to develop the mindset
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #136
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
I think the present setup is that a non WBCCI member is basically a subscriber to the VAC newsletter. At one time there was an associate member category, but it was still basically a newsletter subscription. As a non wbcci member you could not , for example join with the club at the international or other non buddy rallies I don't think.
Tim or a current up to date officer needs to weigh in on this as I have been out of the VAC officer chain for a long time.

I suspect the VAC may actually have had a MAL president at one time, however if I am correct it was done out of ignorance of the MAL bylaws, or they were different in the late 90's. Not sure on this one, just a recollection.
from Tim 3rd VP Vac

All correct except;

Associate members are still members because they are in WBCCI. So it is more than just a subscriber.

A subscriber is only that, they are not WBCCI members so they only get a newsletter.

-------

That sucks

Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
from Tim 3rd VP Vac

All correct except;

Associate members are still members because they are in WBCCI. So it is more than just a subscriber.

A subscriber is only that, they are not WBCCI members so they only get a newsletter.

-------

That sucks
To clarify further an associate member is one who owns an Airstream, (WBCCI Member) but it is not vintage.

Back to the main question. Can any one think of a reason a MAL should NOT be allowed to be an officer in an intra club like the VAC??
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #138
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
However I do not see why they could not hold International office if elected. Sure they would not have put in their "due" with the march up but that also may be part of the rank and file system that leads to some disadvantages of its own making. Free elections sound fine to me. If the majority wants someone as an officer who are others to say they do not qualify?
Hi Carol, where you been?

How can someone hold office without a clue as to how the units and regions operate without holding office for some period of time.

I think there was a unit president that was voted on the board once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I also think it is imperative not to sweep glaring misconduct under the rug that past misdeeds in the application of voting procedures and grievance actions by prejudice should be redressed by the current IBT and an apology be issued to all members and especially Leo G. and that he be reinstated as punitive damages and for reparations by the current IBT.
Carol, res judicata.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I think competitive elections, where multiple candidates run against each other based on combined knowledge, as demonstrated by academic training documented on a real resume or curriculum vita, and proven ability to run a club successfully in terms of membership growth and financial solvency would be the ideal way to go within WBCCI at all levels. This has never happened in the past in WBCCI, but would be something to shoot for in the future. Having experience in running successful local, regional, or special event rallies would demonstrate experience and be a plus on the Resume.

In my experience, MAL's rarely try to take leadership roles, or gain leadership experience, as they are frequently just users of the resources and benefits available through the club. They usually just visit special event rallies, tag along on the caravans and use the cheaper Airstream only parks. In my experience. they are non-joiners or volunteers to do the grunt work, that is required to put on any function and therefore; should not be rewarded with election to office. Competitive elections, based on proven abilities, would eliminate them from consideration.
It is difficult to say what MALs might take on in the way of service should they be recognized or eligible to do so. The fact that the class often viewed as associate rather than full fledged member and discouraged by leadership among other things would not allow a MAL to show a desire to do more in the club. The first step of entitling a MAL to voting and election priveleges might demonstrate a pleasant and untapped resource. At any rate full dues should equate with full rights. The option of MAL is in existence and many do chose that status so inquiries might best be answered by MALs than by committee members becoming subjective in the gathering of material and the issuance of their opinions in performing their objective duties.

photography
Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #140
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Hi Carol, where you been?

How can someone hold office without a clue as to how the units and regions operate without holding office for some period of time.

I think there was a unit president that was voted on the board once.

Carol, res judicata.
Hey it's Bob. Hi there! It is debatable, at least to me, who are the clueless, and I do believe all things are possible and there is at least one exception for every rule. I believe. Units have nothing to do with region and International politics and duties, in fact through choice most units refuse to consider international level concerns. A unit is an intimate entity, whereas the international is far removed from that scope of membership. Units and intra clubs are for the most part operate with autonomy whereas the international has completely different duties and concerns. But you know that and they easily can circumvent convention and constitution or RR. It doesn't take a genius or a person of experience to understand basic rights and ethics. Life's experience is all anyone should need to help with an rv club unless the other officers are all puffed up with pride and arrogance and look down upon those that aren't helped up.

photography

Tags
constitution revision, wbcci