Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Want to Help Charter a New Unit in New Mexico?

Two other Airstream Forums members and I are exploring the feasibility of chartering a “new” New Mexico WBCCI Unit to compliment the existing unit and offer expanded opportunities for New Mexico’s Airstreamers. Members of this unit will travel to interesting destinations throughout the Western U.S. and Mexico in pursuit of the following objectives:

· To routinely conduct outings to places of scenic beauty, geological interest, historical significance, and recreation opportunities with a minimum of organization and structure;
· To encourage and assist to fellow Airstream enthusiasts, including those outside the Unit, in the selection, purchase, maintenance, restoration, and renovation of Airstream products of all ages.

We envision a unit friendly to kids, dogs, cats, and Vintage Airstreams with members of all ages who are more inclined to take a hike or go fishing than play cards and who prefer more remote locations of scenic beauty than commercial RV parks. This link sums it up:
http://www.airstreamingnewmexico.info/new_new_mexico_unit_index.htm

Right now we are checking to see if we have sufficient interest to charter such a unit. Please let me know if you would like to be a “Charter Member” and in which office you would like to serve if any. Please offer comments and recommendations as well. You may respond by PM if you prefer. I should also say that this unit will rely heavily on the internet for communications and information sharing. Our modest goal would be for every member to also be a member of Airstream Forums and for every Airstream Forums member in NM to be a member of our unit.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Verrrrrrry interesting!

You know, you might want to consider conducting virtual meetings for any official meetings that become necessary. I instituted this kind of meeting at the university, and it worked pretty well for non-controversial stuff. We instituted the same for the NM Assn of RV Parks some years ago, and we haven't had an official business meeting yet!

Lynn
Old 07-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Verrrrrrry interesting!

You know, you might want to consider conducting virtual meetings for any official meetings that become necessary. I instituted this kind of meeting at the university, and it worked pretty well for non-controversial stuff. We instituted the same for the NM Assn of RV Parks some years ago, and we haven't had an official business meeting yet!

Lynn
Thanks, Lynn, that's precisely what we are contemplating. We know we don't intend to conduct meetings while we're camping. It makes no sense to spend the money to buy fuel to tow an Airstream all day to someplace beautiful to have a business meeting, IMHO. Care to help?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Best wishes on the effort! That's exactly what this club needs. MORE units in MORE places. You'll wind up with multiple units in the area and that can only be good news. MORE events for all WBCCI members to go to regardless of which unit they call home. Way to go Ken! Karma...

__

Ken,

I'll certainly second 65GT's comments.Best of luck.

Looks like 65GT has 0% on his warn meter????????mellowing.....I think not.lol

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 07-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
new New Mexico Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Right now we are checking to see if we have sufficient interest to charter such a unit. Please let me know if you would like to be a “Charter Member” and in which office you would like to serve if any. Please offer comments and recommendations as well. You may respond by PM if you prefer. I should also say that this unit will rely heavily on the internet for communications and information sharing. Our modest goal would be for every member to also be a member of Airstream Forums and for every Airstream Forums member in NM to be a member of our unit.
Yes, count me in.
(keeping the thread alive)
AIR #10274
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Ken ---What you discribe and the objectives you've given is what I thought the WBCCI was about. The unit we joined didn't come close. I had decided not to renew this year but now you have my interest again. ---Pieman
Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Ken ---What you discribe and the objectives you've given is what I thought the WBCCI was about. The unit we joined didn't come close. I had decided not to renew this year but now you have my interest again. ---Pieman
Splendid, Mike. I knew that I could count on you and Donna. We'll be looking for some ideas based on your recent experiences as camp host in Utah.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Yes, count me in.
Thanks Airstream25. Hope your rally in Telluride is memorable. Oh, Happy Birthday!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Colorado and New Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Two other Airstream Forums members and I are exploring the feasibility of chartering a “new” New Mexico WBCCI Unit to compliment the existing unit and offer expanded opportunities for New Mexico’s Airstreamers. Members of this unit will travel to interesting destinations throughout the Western U.S. and Mexico in pursuit of the following objectives:

· To routinely conduct outings to places of scenic beauty, geological interest, historical significance, and recreation opportunities with a minimum of organization and structure;
· To encourage and assist to fellow Airstream enthusiasts, including those outside the Unit, in the selection, purchase, maintenance, restoration, and renovation of Airstream products of all ages.

We envision a unit friendly to kids, dogs, cats, and Vintage Airstreams with members of all ages who are more inclined to take a hike or go fishing than play cards and who prefer more remote locations of scenic beauty than commercial RV parks. This link sums it up:
http://www.airstreamingnewmexico.info/new_new_mexico_unit_index.htm

I'm getting a significant response from Colorado as well as New Mexico. This is great!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You can count on me too......

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Best wishes klevan! I think this is EXACTLY what needs to happen! I will be doing the same thing in the Northeast! I would like members in my general area to contact me!
Good Luck and any information I receive I'm happy to share!
Robin
Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I guess I should be more explicit. Our main membership is with the DenCo unit; we're associate members (or whatever it's called) of the current NM unit. When the new NM unit gets rolling, we'll switch our associate membership from the current NM unit to the new unit.

One question is what to do about the current NM website. But maybe we should talk that over offline.

Lynn
Old 07-26-2006, 08:11 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
How about an interested party in AZ? Does that count too? Sounds like my kinda place especially the fishing.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Ken-
You know you are going to be President of this in perpetuity, right?

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Greater Southwestern CyberUnit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
How about an interested party in AZ? Does that count too? Sounds like my kinda place especially the fishing.

Brad
FF
Thanks for your interest, Brad.
Since we now have folks in Arizona and Colorado expressing their interest, it would no longer be appropriate to give it a name that constrains it to New Mexico. As a charter member you would help us write the Constitution and Bylaws (CBL) and select the best most descriptive name. Since the Airstream Forums will be our "cyberhome" we can be geographically unconstrained. PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy of the draft CBL I'm working on.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Well Let's See...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Ken-
You know you are going to be President of this in perpetuity, right?
If you offered to be 1st VP, then it could be reduced from perpetuity to one year. Come on, you know you love Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Paid Your Dues Yet?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
I guess I should be more explicit. Our main membership is with the DenCo unit; we're associate members (or whatever it's called) of the current NM unit. When the new NM unit gets rolling, we'll switch our associate membership from the current NM unit to the new unit.

One question is what to do about the current NM website. But maybe we should talk that over offline.

Lynn
Greetings Lynn, Hope all is well in Angel Fire.
I have promised Shari that I will not recruit from DenCo, but you really would be a natural for the "Enchanted Trails Greater Southwestern Cyber Unit."
Old 07-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Ken,
I really like your idea. After all the primary reason we own an Airstream is for camping and getting away from the grind of business. The boardroom is the last thing on my mind when we hook-up and pull the Tin Cabin down the road. Hiking, Fishing, Good Eating and Good Drinking with friends now that is how we define fun. There are sooo many great destinations between Albuquerque and Phoenix, a Southwest Regional Unit with camping being the primary focus is group we would join. Keep the ideas coming and let me know how I can help
Brent
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Well, Since You Asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Ken,
I really like your idea. After all the primary reason we own an Airstream is for camping and getting away from the grind of business. The boardroom is the last thing on my mind when we hook-up and pull the Tin Cabin down the road. Hiking, Fishing, Good Eating and Good Drinking with friends now that is how we define fun. There are sooo many great destinations between Albuquerque and Phoenix, a Southwest Regional Unit with camping being the primary focus is group we would join. Keep the ideas coming and let me know how I can help
Brent
Thanks for the kind words, Brent.
All I need is the names of ten Airstream owners who want to charter such a unit and who are willing to pay their $55.00 International Dues through said unit. The way I see it, it can be "win-win"... we stay with WBCCI and we help improve and evolve into a relevant organization for today's Airstreamers. In so doing we will compliment and support the existing, traditional units. PM me with your contact information if you want to help get this concept off the ground.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:54 AM   #20
Batty Matty

1975 31' Sovereign
1957 16' Bubble
1958 18' "Footer"
Sedan , New Mexico
Love it!

I love the idea of a new unit of the less formal nature than some. I have been a member of two units, one more traditional, the other a bit more iconoclastic. I'm in the second (WDCU) style, and although older than most, still young enough to enjoy pot luck suppers and rallies in a farmer's field. This year I hosted CBR along with the property owner's family and had a blast. Plan to have rally space for 15 or so rigs on my own place in Sedan. (Hint, hint and shameless self promotion. ;^)> )

I would be willing to join as a full member, but enjoy the "easterners" too much to ever leave WDCU. If I could join through both units, I would. (Two votes? Two Save Wallys? Why do I think that would go over like flatulence in the choir loft?)

We already have the blue beret, the blue baseball cap and the blue bandana. How about the blue Stetson?

Matt
Closed Thread