Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Questions!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
What is the timetable for this new unit forming? Does having all of this completed by Nov. 1st sound reasonable? If this is to happen, I sure would like to see it in the annual membership directory. Is there anything I can contribute to assist in this endeavor to meet this date?

Brad
FF
Thanks Brad for the opportunity to explain this to all those prospective members out there.
I am pressing hard for a provisional charter from Region 11 before 15 September. That will give plenty of time for current members of WBBCI to "transfer" to our new unit, and new members to join through our new unit. If we can't get ourselves in the 2007 Membership Directory that could really kill our hopes for keeping momentum and attracting more new members.

I will this coming week send membership packages to all prospective charter members so each one of us can have it filled out and ready to launch just as soon as we get the word.

Thanks again Brad,

Ken
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Old 08-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Ken ---- I just noticed this morning that since your original post 7/25/06 there has been 3629 hits on this thread, approx 110 per day. Does that indicate an interest or what???----pieman
Old 08-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #123
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Ken - Where are we with the name of the new unit?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 08-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Thanks Brad for the opportunity to explain this to all those prospective members out there.
I am pressing hard for a provisional charter from Region 11 before 15 September. That will give plenty of time for current members of WBBCI to "transfer" to our new unit, and new members to join through our new unit.
I believe you will need to get approval from Regional and IBT before you would be recognized as an official Unit though.
The next IBT business meeting is in Perry, GA in January 2007.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 08-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I believe you will need to get approval from Regional and IBT before you would be recognized as an official Unit though.
The next IBT business meeting is in Perry, GA in January 2007.

Shari
Shari is correct. A provisional charter from Region 11 will give us authority to select a name, collect dues, and elect officers. We must subsequently demonstrate to Region 11 that we have at least ten, dues paying members, elected officers, and an approved Constitution and Bylaws (CBL), and at least two rallies scheduled in 2007.

With these criteria met, Region 11 will make a motion at the next IBT to grant us a "permanent Unit Charter" as specified under the WBCCI CBL.

Latest Statistics for Prospective Charter Members:
AZ 3
CA 1
CO 3
NM 10
OR 1

Most poular prospective Name: Four Corners Camping Unit
Runner Up: NM and Greater Southwest Camping Unit
Old 08-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Quote:

Most poular prospective Name: Four Corners Camping Unit
Runner Up: NM and Greater Southwest Camping Unit
How about "Greater Four Corners Camping Unit"?

Hopefully, as impetus for this new unit grows, others outside of the "literal" Four Corners area would consider joining, given the unit objectives/goals of more majestic/rustic camping. Also, the name might mitigate any issue with other specific regional units.

Just a thought...

Regardless of name, count me in.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
Old 09-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Decision Made...

Greetings Prospective Charter Members, Supporters and Interested Bystanders,

Region 11 has disapproved our request to charter a new unit as inspired by these forums and chronicled on this thread. The creative enthusiasm unleashed by this effort belies the outcome. I remain more convinced than ever that Airstreamers would like more options than they presently find among the traditional WBCCI units. Choice is good!

Special thanks to the more than 20 Airstreamers who were ready to pay their dues and take their chances on a new, more dynamic, internet based unit.

Happy Camping!

Ken
Old 09-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Ken,

Did the region give you any reasons for denial?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 09-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #129
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:

Region 11 has disapproved our request to charter a new unit as inspired by these forums and chronicled on this thread. The creative enthusiasm unleashed by this effort belies the outcome. I remain more convinced than ever that Airstreamers would like more options than they presently find among the traditional WBCCI units. Choice is good!

Special thanks to the more than 20 Airstreamers who were ready to pay their dues and take their chances on a new, more dynamic, internet based unit.

Happy Camping!

Ken

Hi Ken,say it isn't so. Can you say why.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 09-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Please document their explanation for their denial of your application. Reasons must have been given that would allow you to correct and resubmit it. It would seem you had taken appropriate steps to develop adequate support and interest to begin a new unit. Surely it is in the best interest of WBCCI to encourage all new growth rather than to instigate potention members' disassociation from the club. I cannot imagine a stronger message they could have given that these people are unwelcome in WBCCI. ??????????????~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Analysis and Rationale for Disapproval

Chester Haughawaut, Region 11 1st VP, provided a comprehensive analysis and rationale, much too long to paste into this reply. Send me a PM with your email address and I will be happy to forward it to you along with a copy of our letter requesting the provisional charter.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:

Happy Camping!

Ken
So start a unit anyway and then apply again. Hell they cann't keep you from starting a club. Prehaps it is time for a new association of clubs with Airstream trailer owners independent of WBCCI. Might I suggest again
WACCI....
Wally's Airstream Carnival Clubs International

I hearby declare such an association established. Prehaps some of the heathier WBCCI units that aren't dying will want to join as free standing units. Units are encouraged to complete for members.

To start a unit you only need to declare you are a unit, minimum members 1 No officers, no dues, no funny blue bennies, no regional officers, no international officers.

Maybe I could get Airstream to be a sponsor and get me all kinds of free stuff.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
I don't think Chester Haughawaut's Disapproval Memorandum is too long to post here, so here it is in its entireity:

MEMORANDUM

To: Mr. Kenneth Levan, Mr. Jerry Heald, Mr. Ken Johansen
CC: Mr. Don Shafer, International President
Dr. Ron Starcher, Region 11 President
Mrs. Janie Lichtfuss, Region 11 2nd Vice President
Date: September 21, 2006
Subject: Proposed New Unit

After studying your proposal, discussing advantages and disadvantages, and reading "Airstream Forum" responses to your solicitations I find no compelling reasons to grant your request for a provisional charter. Your vision of a "non-traditional" unit certainly differs since your intent is to manage, plan, and conduct unit business primarily via electronic technology. While this strategy appeals to certain segments of a population it is not a sufficient reason to form such a unit within this region. In addition, most Region 11 units employ some level of electronic technology for communication and business.

Units across Region 11 visit unique destinations on a regular basis. Levels of planning for a rally or caravan to those sites is a function of leadership within individual units. Planning each and every element of an event (over planning?) can be just as aggravating as minimal or no planning at all. Without a doubt some level of planning must occur as evidenced, for example, by extended and repeated posts on the forum between individuals
and/or groups planning(?) to meet somewhere.

There are valid issues in your proposal and countless controversies that are discussed at length via internet sites and also during actual encounters. The forum is undoubtedly a worthy sounding board to air issues and remedies in an instant response medium. However, most actual solutions still rely on conventional methods where people meet and
generally decide the issue or reach agreement.

One very important element of your proposal is the location of the unit. By default that location is Albuquerque and there is continuing discussion about how to deal with the impact of two units in the same city. You assert that no other unit will be affected particularly if the proposed unit has an appropriate name in order to mitigate recruiting competition. Whether internet-based or local, competition between those units for membership will occur if they are located in the same place. Indeed because of this proposal competition is occurring now. Moreover, two units are directly affected if discussion in the "Airstream Forum" is credible. Colorado West Unit has membership primarily in Cortez and Dolores, Colorado, the "Four Corners" area that draws continuous attention by your
group.

The "Airstream Forum" is referenced frequently in this response because of the importance you placed on posts submitted to support your proposal. I have read all the submissions to your title "Want To Help Charter a New Unit In New Mexico?" Most of that posting is interesting including one that discusses a strategy for proposing new units. New ideas or strategies, according to the submission, are usually tried, tested, and possibly perfected within the unit before branching into a new organization. Rather than originating within the New Mexico unit this particular proposal seems to be the result of conflicting planning styles personality differences instead of natural growth and development.

It seems clear that Messrs. Levan, Heald, and Johansen intend to change their membership to another unit. However, for a few dollars more why not continue as affiliate members and develop a "no frills" style of Airstreaming? Is there a framework or guide for "outback camping" or is it purely a sink or swim experience for that novice Airstreamer?

Mediating this proposal has not been a pleasant experience. Certainly some individuals will not agree with this decision and also reject all attempts to reconcile. I am sure you know it is the responsibility of elected members at all levels to consider the membership, while also considering the merits of a given issue. Therefore, as stated in the opening paragraph, I do not approve or recommend a provisional charter for your proposed unit.

Here are the take-away points as I see them:

1. New means of electronic communication and conducting business is not a sufficient reason for forming a new unit within Region 11.

2. Present units in your area already visit unique desitnations, what more do you want?

3. Real people meet and decide issues conventionally, i.e., in person, and not by modern means of communication or over the Internet.

4. Competition among new and/or existing units for members is forbidden in Region 11. We cannot have new units that give members what they want take members away from existing units who may not be giving members what they want. How can the existing units survive if new ones arise to take their place?

5. New ideas should only originate from and be tried, tested and perfected within an existing unit before being implemented. Ideas that originate from conflicting planning styles or personality differences lack merit because they are not the product of natural growth and development within an existing unit itself.

6. Even though you all intend to leave your present unit, you should pay more money to remain as "affiliates" of your present unit and do your own thing anyway. But for heaven's sake, don't invite along any Airstream novices for "outback camping" unless you have a framework or guide. [Like Wally never would have done that!]

7. Performing the duties of a Regional Officer is not always a pleasant experience. Even if you cannot reconcile your differences, stay married for the sake of the unit.

I, for one, am disappointed in the above decison of my Region 11 officers. Region 11 has lost 4 units since 1993: the Colorado [Springs] Unit # 023 (merged into the Denver Unit 024); the Southern Arizona Unit # 004, the Southern New Mexcio Unit #146, and the Mexcio Unit. Region 11 has 7 units for 2006. With our seeming Regional policy of extinguishing innovation, smothering new ideas and approaches, and denying existing WBCCI members the ability to form a new unit to suit the trailering wants and desires of their generation (and others), perhaps we'll be the first Region to dry up and blow away. It's sure headed that way, and Chester's above disapproval is keeping it right on track. The only bright spot is that perhaps upon Region 11's disappearance, it will be taken over by or assigned to Region 9, whose officers understand creative destruction and the need for new ideas and new units (like the Texas Camping Unit) to supercede and/or supplement existing units.

Sadly, the longer I'm in the WBCCI (going on 8 years), the more discouraged I become over its prospects for survival, especially in light of decisions like the above disapproval of a growth idea that bubbled up from current WBCCI members who sought to work within the club's existing framework. For the life of me, I cannot understand why the Region 11 offiicers disapprove membership innovation and a promising new unit in their Region. I would have thought they would have been giddy at the prospect of new leadership welling up from the ranks within their Region. Tell me it ain't so, Don!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 09-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
As far as I'm concerned this guy didn't give it more than 5 minutes thought - we spent $65 on a conference call and he could not even give us a phone call - give me a break......

Anyway I'm not going to be renewing with a club like this and give $55 to have a few folks have with this mind set to have their round the country trips paid for.

I don't know if anyone is interested - but I'm willing to help organize the first "new" Airstream club - we can't use Airstream in the title, but we could call it the Four Corners Camping club, or the Four Corners Air Club or something like that - for that matter, we could start several of these around the country if folks desire.....

Just a thought..

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 09-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #135
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm not so sure we will renew either. Chester Haughawaut didn't convince me of anything other than the old school won't let a new school get started.

While on our trip to Yellowstone recently, we met Kenneth Rosvall, The Utah Unit President. I was telling him of a few of us wanting to start a new unit called the Four Corners Camping Unit within Unit 11 and the reasons behind our thinking. He said, and I quote, "I think you guys should go for it." I found this very encouraging and was surprised to hear of Mr. Haughawaut's non-approval.

Ken J. - I hear ya, loud and clear.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind

Here are the take-away points as I see them:

1. New means of electronic communication and conducting business is not a sufficient reason for forming a new unit within Region 11.

2. Present units in your area already visit unique desitnations, what more do you want?

3. Real people meet and decide issues conventionally, i.e., in person, and not by modern means of communication or over the Internet.

4. Competition among new and/or existing units for members is forbidden in Region 11. We cannot have new units that give members what they want take members away from existing units who may not be giving members what they want. How can the existing units survive if new ones arise to take their place?

5. New ideas should only originate from and be tried, tested and perfected within an existing unit before being implemented. Ideas that originate from conflicting planning styles or personality differences lack merit because they are not the product of natural growth and development within an existing unit itself.

6. Even though you all intend to leave your present unit, you should pay more money to remain as "affiliates" of your present unit and do your own thing anyway. But for heaven's sake, don't invite along any Airstream novices for "outback camping" unless you have a framework or guide. [Like Wally never would have done that!]

7. Performing the duties of a Regional Officer is not always a pleasant experience. Even if you cannot reconcile your differences, stay married for the sake of the unit.
Not only should some things die, some things should be shot to put everyone out of misery. The WBCCI deserves the slow death that awaits it. It is this same "we have never done it that way before" attitude that has caused me to NEVER pay them dues in Lubbock TX.
I thought Ken Levan's idea had merit for two main reasons.
1) Members that are not going to renew, would stay and try this "experiment" in camping.
2) Members that are not now menbers would consider joining due to this being "different" in small ways.

Face it, if all Colonial Brits had the same attitude of Chester, the USA would have NEVER been formed because Britian wouldn't have granted the Charter.

Sometimes Revolution is in order. Perhaps this is the time.

If they don't want to accept the dues of 20+ Airstreamers in a NEW Four Corners Camping Unit, then they can live without the money, IMHO.
And in my case, they can continue to live without my money.

Analysis:
1) In the future, we will use more technology, not less...get used to it Chester.
2) We want to do it OUR WAY not the Blue Beanie Way....capiche?
3) Oh really, when did you retire from the workforce, Chester?
4) We don't expect existing units to survive if they can't compete. That is just business, Chester. In the real world, you either provide what the customer is buying, or your business dies.
5) New Ideas replace "old school ideas" everyday in America, Chester. Any chance one of your relatives was the one that recommended closing the U.S. Patent Office in the 1890s because he thought that everything that possible could be invented had been invented?
6) Everyone has to start Airstream Camping someplace....starting with friends that want you along is a great place to start...what did Wally do when he started?...He didn't have a framework or guide, did he???
7) Obviously, he never met my first wife......

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 09-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
""3. Real people meet and decide issues conventionally, i.e., in person, and not by modern means of communication or over the Internet.

4. Competition among new and/or existing units for members is forbidden in Region 11. We cannot have new units that give members what they want take members away from existing units who may not be giving members what they want. How can the existing units survive if new ones arise to take their place? ""

This says it all. The organization is on it's last legs with this take what we offer or go away attitude. Dying units are failing to interest the new members that do show up and then they wine when you try and join another unit. You can be sure there was alot of old fashion back door politics going on with this one. For these guys Ethics is a one way street.

The internet makes life harder for the secret society types as members have access to information. This is new and they don't like things being public.

Be the first to Declare yourself a WACCI charter unit today.

I'm ordering bumper stickers.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
WBCCI denial of charter for a new unit

Wally was an amazing leader of daring and great spirit. His Cape Town to Cairo caravan was world class.

I believe the WBCCI organization had grown to a peak of about 25,000 but has now declined to about 8000.

I should think the current WBCCI leadership would be concerned about this decline and seek constructive ways to turn the organization around.

By the way, how does one conduct a poll on Airstream Forums? It might be informative to have the forums vote on whether they think the Region 11 leaders were right or wrong to deny the charter for the Four Corners Unit.
AIR #10274
Old 09-24-2006, 10:43 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have been reading this thread with interest. I have been an A.S. owner for about 5 years and until recently didn't know what WBCCI was. I have slowly been learning tidbits here and there, then tonight I stumbled across this thread. I can see that I will have no further interest in joining that organization. Not that the organization wouldn't have it's pluses. But based on the attitude reflected in the written response, and the reasons given for denying the application, I will not at this time send them my money nor invest any of my time with them. If the choice is camping or a business meeting/get-together attended by the likes of this fellow, I'll camp. Is he representative of most of the WBCCI group?
I suggest you:
1. Appeal if this is truly what you want.
2. Start your own "AIR" group. (Have I seen that before?)
3. Just go camping, but let us all know where and when!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I have been reading this thread with interest. I have been an A.S. owner for about 5 years and until recently didn't know what WBCCI was. I have slowly been learning tidbits here and there, then tonight I stumbled across this thread. I can see that I will have no further interest in joining that organization. Not that the organization wouldn't have it's pluses. But based on the attitude reflected in the written response, and the reasons given for denying the application, I will not at this time send them my money nor invest any of my time with them. If the choice is camping or a business meeting/get-together attended by the likes of this fellow, I'll camp. Is he representative of most of the WBCCI group?
I suggest you:
1. Appeal if this is truly what you want.
2. Start your own "AIR" group. (Have I seen that before?)
3. Just go camping, but let us all know where and when!
I too am dissapointed in the reply from the Region 11 VP. A better response would have been to probe for further information, rather than flatly rejecting the idea (assuming that immediate approval was not possible). The points made in several of the above responses point directly at why this change is needed, so I won't repeat them here.

I just want to point out that you really shouldn't make your decision based up the response of one individual in what would be a different region (11) from yours (Region 12). And even if you would be in Region 11, leaders are temporary and opinions differ. Some folks are more progressive than others. I sense that there are some leaders within the club that understand that change is necessary in order for the club to survive. It may not come a quickly as we like, but it will come. It is new ideas like this new unit one that must be addressed, and if they have even a little merit, allowed to proceed as an experiment, if nothing more. I would hope that this topic will immediately get the attention of the International (as opposed to Regional) club leadership, which I think it will because this has already been posted over on the WBCCI forums as well in the Member Suggestion Box sub-forum:
http://www.wbcci.org/Forum/viewmessa...m=14&Topic=206

Let us not all throw up our hands in disgust and leave (or not join) the club the first tme one of our ideas is not immedataley adopted. Change takes time (and maybe a couple of tries).
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Closed Thread