Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Talking I LOVE it!!!

Quote:
...froze our Wallies off at the April Maintenance Rally
It was cold, even with a heater! LOL

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:01 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is there a rule against WBCCI members, or individual members, from getting together outside rallies?
Terry
Old 02-10-2004, 05:36 PM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Terry,

there is NO rule regarding that but there is a liability of exposure to Attorneys.

When you attend a WBCCI Sanctioned function there is a Huge (Million dollar) WBCCI Paid liability policy that holds all offers, rally hosts, and attendees harmless should someone trip over a hose and fall, breaking an arm, or worse. You hope it never happens but in todays society some people will immediately seek compensation through the courts. What happens if everyone gets food poisoning at the pot luck? Who is to blame? Who will pay for the hospital visits? These are some of the benefits of having a chartered unit of the club with a published rally schedule. When a forum rally is put together being that it is just a bunch of folks getting together and all paying their own way and doing their own thing it would be hard to constitute it as a rally in the WBCCI sense of the word. But some sly attorney may find a way to go after you.

Loosely arranged weekends are great as a Forum get together, but I would not be willing to assume the liability for planning an all out weekend WBCCI style rally without some protection. All It takes to get the "protection" is to have a rally agreed to by your unit as a buddy rally and have it published in the unit minuets and sent to headquarters. No pomp, no business meeting, just fun.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, I guess I will find out more next week. I was talking about three or four vintage owners getting together for a work party on a member's coach.
Terry
Old 02-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #25
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Terry,

That is a great idea and was exactly what we did at the first Forum Rally at Mystic Springs. We all tinkered with each others coaches (except for PeterH's, his was done ) and had a blast. That is kind of what I was envisioning a get together in August as. Doing it at a state park campground eliminates the restriction of not working on RV's that some parks have
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #26

fresh blood on a old topic

new to the whole TT world, I'm now trying to figure out this club operates.
Yes the Vintage 2005 caravan listed below looks like fun, but 15 days is a bit long for the working class.
The membership requirements are a bit confusing, since I filled out the national WB club and got no reply for the section #2 people.
I cannot get involved with the vintage group until the section #2 people send me an application.
Either way, my '57 pulled by my '58 cadillac is heading for the long island beachs, not some parking lot in mid-missouri.
We have just completed scouting a Wagon Wheel Vintage caravan into Springfield, Missouri for next June. Here is a sampling of the 15 night, 16 day caravan that will end at the pre-rally site the day before our Vintage parade into the Springfield International Rally.
We will meet with our Vintage rigs in St. Louis on Saturday, June 11th. Some of the St. Louis highlights will be a tour of the city and a tour of the St. Louis Transportation Museum with our own Molly Butterworth, Curator of Collections. We will visit a charming historic German town surrounded by wineries. As we travel Old Route 66 into Southern Missouri, we will have many Route 66 memorabilia adventures. We will visit several quaint historic towns. There will be a tube float trip in the Ozark National Scenic Waterways. Our Branson stop will be for 3 nights, and we will attend 3 shows. Our final stop will be near the Kansas border, and we will again travel Old Route 66 into Springfield. The caravan will end on Sunday, June 26th at the pre-rally site.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #27
_

. , .
interesting to read the vintage club issues.....so positively presented.

could the vac exist as a solo organization?

how much is the template, guidance, financing.... and so on that the wb has provided,

how much of a value has that connection been?

the vintage subgroup is what ....less than 14 years old?

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
interesting to read the vintage club issues.....so positively presented. Could the vac exist as a solo organization? How much is the template, guidance, financing.... and so on that the wb has provided. How much of a value has that connection been? The vintage subgroup is what ....less than 14 years old? cheers, 2air'
Hi 2air:

I'm in a yacky mood today, and house cleaning sucks, so I'll take a shot at answering your questions, backwards of course. The VAC Intraclub was conceived in July 1992 and chartered in July 1993, so we have been around conceptually for 14 years, 13 in actuality.

In my opinion, the WBCCI has been a very valuable connection for the VAC. Our "Mom" has given us a template and structure to operate in, many contacts, many events where we gather to meet each other and show off our wares, and many rules to disregard. We get little formal guidance from National but usually a helpful hand, including insurance coverage for our VAC Rallies, a necessity in today's world. We have our own VAC Regional Reps. The best guidance I've personally experienced is learning the nuts and bolts of trailering at local Unit events from the old timers who've been towing for years. Issues that perplex me are often solved in a simple declatory sentence or a quick demonstration. We have a pretty free hand to run our VAC events was we see fit, with no script from National surpressing our ideas. Local scolds and busybodies whose tighties get in a wad at our events are gently encouraged not to sign up for our event the following year, to everyone's relief.

Yes, the VAC could be run as a separate orgnaization, but it would require a lot more work from VAC officers, who are all volunterers and busy enough as is. Could it continue to exist independently? I don't know, as that would take much more time and effort to get up and going than we now spend under the wings of the WBCCI. An independent VAC might sputter and die, while those who make that suggestion remain on their fence. We'd have to construct a whole parallel organization to gain similar benefits to those now available through the WBCCI. Who volunteers to put the bell on that cat? Any fence sitters want to step forward for that task?

In my opinion, its so much easier for the VAC to inobstrusively fit within and benefit from the existing WBCCI structure. At certain local Units, many VACers have stepped forward to become Unit officers. Is it surprising those Units tend to have events that appeal to VACers? ... and which are enjoyed by most regular Unit members, too. We work at making that happen, we just don't buy tickets.

Since many of us still earn a living from day jobs, our VAC Rallies tend to be loose and informal, anti-structure as it were, minimizing weekaday busy schedules for unfettered relaxation and fun. Pomp is booted and circumstances are dealt with creatively. We like to think of our VAC selves as closer in spirit to Wally B than is the more structured WBCCI, which wants to jettison his name and memory [different thread].

I'll repeat this yet again, since the message did not penetrate my thick skull when I was new to the Airstream hobby a few year ago. The major benefit of the WBCCI is the people you meet through it. It's not the Blue Beret, it is not the annual International Rally, it is not the pomp and circumstances or the national politics. It is the local people near you who share your interest in Airstreaming; the WBCCI puts you in touch with such folks both old and new to this hobby. So fence sitters, get off your picket and away from your computer keyboard and go out and meet these folks. That fence picket is making a sharp impression in your derriere ... and if you stay there much longer you'll get stuck. That said, the WBCCI and VAC is not for everybody. And we can count on those few disappointed individuals to constantly engage in cyber bitching to broadcast their discontent. Such is life.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Thanks

Fred,

I agree house cleaning sucks. That said, thanks for your last post, I agree 100%. Although one nice thing about the International, it is a large event, lots of people make a special effort to attend and I am looking forward to meeting all of my internet pen pals. Especially you, because of our two mutual interests.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #30
_

. , .
hi fred and bill and other vintage.......people

thanks for answering my questions......your answer is sound....

the sub groups have all sprung up since 1992....
and vac is a great example of how folks vested can promote a fringe from within....

those thinking vac could do this without the wb...need to think again....

i agree it's the people that create the value.....
and ya gotta be in the boat to paddle.....

i'm still working out attending the salem rally, but meeting you guys would make it worth the trip....

cheers
2air'

house cleaning......try yearly tax prep........i'll trade ya!
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
2air,

Fred and I along with a bunch of other nice people will be there, the nicest are vintage of course. Bring your hat so that we will recognize you.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 03-20-2006, 08:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
More thoughts ....

Here are some more of my personal thoughts as to why the VAC can thrive better within than as a separate club outside the WBCCI, which people suggest from time to time.

It takes time and effort to run any club. Many of the basic mundane tasks are now being performed by the WBCCI National and your Local Unit - collecting dues, maintaining and distributing membership roosters in print and electronically, organizing and running events to attend, maintaining an international network of enthusiasts, being contact points. Selfishly, having others do a large part - not all - of that work allows the VAC to spend far more time and energy on vintage trailers themselves and to push the envelope further on learning about, seeing ,repairing, discussing and showing them. We show up and enjoy without having to first create every single activity ourselves. Many hands make light work, and many of the older hands in the WBCCI are experienced in doing these things and gladly share their insight. Why reinvent a trailer wheel?

The WBCCI is THE club that created the trailering history we VACers find so fascinating. Any new separate vintage club would, in large part, also celebrate the history and heritage of the WBCCI. It is far more rewarding to continue that history than to admire it from afar. In our small eyes, we carry the torch, we continue the thread, we will eventually become part of the history we respect. And if we're real good and have some spunk, perhaps we too can create some memorable moments of trailering, though in all reality we hold no candle to the Caravanners of the 1950s and 1960s.

In Denver, our local Unit is the gathering point for us VACers. We see each other at monthly luncheons during the winter and a local events throughout the spring, summer and fall. Every Unit Rally or Caravan is also, in part, a VAC event because we show up and enjoy it in our own way. Not everyone attends every event; we pick and chose to suit our individual schedules. And the "elders" do not whip us with rug beaters if we don't follow them lock step in every activity. Time and place are set by our local Unit; we just show up without having to arrange and announce every single meeting or event ourselves. What a deal!

Our local VAC group did not spring forth fully formed the hand of Wally. We grew over time, the nucelus forming once a small critical mass was attained. Because we do Vintage things locally, we continue to attract additional vintage minded electrons (and their old and new trailers) who are pulled into our fun. Once we suck them in, they often have a hard time escaping.

My annual WBCCI and local Unit dues are insignificant compared to the fun I have and people I meet and have met through these clubs. I have far greater complaints with how the federal government spends my annual USA citizenship dues. Over a decade ago I spent about $960 annually to belong to a health club, which then was the focus of my social universe. Today I spend far less on the WBCCI and VAC, which are my current social universe, and my knees and wallet thank me for the change. The WBCCI and VAC are very inexpensive entertainment if you take full advantage of what each has to offer. Such is life and what you make if it.

Here's the take away message: by staying within the WBCCI, the VAC does not have to spend its limited human energy and resources on creating and maintaining an operating structure. By operating within the existing WBCCI, we can climb out of the basement utility room and operate on higher planes. People piggyback for a greater vertical reach; the same concept applies equally well to clubs.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks...

Well said Fred!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello everyone,
I am a new to the forums as a member.I dont belong to wbcci or vac but am trying to understand it all ,if its possible. From what i have read here, I agree with insideout and 47 weewind on their ideas of what vintage airstream rallys are about,, how these vintage units are operated, and to me it is somthing that I am looking for .It sounds simplistic , yes? But alot of what I have read is really like crazy confusing . So many aspects of wbcci so much red tape.The vintage focus to me invites friendship and fun . weekend and 3or5 day rallys like creede. The workshop rallies an excellent time to make new friends. possibly for a lifetime . However seeings how the wbcci does provide as you have said the liability insurance to cover the vac events , That alone is monumental . i am no expert in all this ,but it looks like wbcci and vac needs each other really . bring in new members with vintage appeal and the newer airstreams . The vintage units are more geared to as it was mentioned , the way wally woulkd have done it.I have no interest in pompas or any elitism in any club .My humble opinion

scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Further discussions on these points....

Hello all -

I am VERY INTERESTED in these discussions since they seem to be heading a direction that will be more inclusive. Of VAC, of families with kids like mine. There are SO many opportunities to get things organized for a GREAT get together or Ralley - something that will attrack youngs families, kids and their families. Future of the club right?

Right up my alley. I will survey my kids and find out what kids of activities would jazz them and make them excited. I will report back with constuctive ideas after I learn them.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Silver toy

Yes and YES ! Have read alot about the big wig club deal being very rigid about kids ,.Lil and I have 2 kids and better believe they are vintage airstreamers We go together in our trdwnd as much as we can and family inclusion is a big part as well as rallies that ALLOW us to attend ,meaning shorter weekenders rallies Somthing on the west coast too. Its funny .... Those that started this club many years ago, probably some of them had kids and the adventure was on . money wasnt plentiful . The wbcci needs to look over some of those old archive rally photos to remind them. Ive read more than a few posts about kids not really being welcomed . That is a shame.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Silver toy

Yes and YES ! Have read alot about the big wig club deal being very rigid about kids ,.Lil and I have 2 kids and better believe they are vintage airstreamers We go together in our trdwnd as much as we can and family inclusion is a big part as well as rallies that ALLOW us to attend ,meaning shorter weekenders rallies Somthing on the west coast too. Its funny .... Those that started this club many years ago, probably some of them had kids and the adventure was on . money wasnt plentiful . The wbcci needs to look over some of those old archive rally photos to remind them. Ive read more than a few posts about kids not really being welcomed . That is a shame.
Scott,

We have children as young as 6 in our unit, and we have attended rallies on the weekend only when the rally starts on Wednesday. This late arrival has not been a problem and we are not the only ones. In fact, we are going to a rally the end of this month on Friday and the rally starts on Wednesday. The unit is El Camino Real, last year we had a rally in Santa Barbara.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 04-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey Bill ,

Wow how in the world could i have missed that? Not being a member possibly. You would think somehow I would have found out since I live in santa barbara. There is a couple here in town who have a bubble , flying cloud and a weewind . I had asked her a few times about events that we could attend last year and would never get a response . They had done santamaria rally in the past . I gave up ,I guess i was being a bother .That would then be the unit I would want to join . SB must kinda be in the middle of the west coast units

Scott of scottanlily
Old 04-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Well said Fred!

Shari
Becky and I were sucked in all the way from Oklahoma!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW64OVERLANDER
Becky and I were sucked in all the way from Oklahoma!
And we're glad you were!

Shari