Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
Joined 32 years ago, retired 17 years ago, and have been full-timing for the past 10 years. It's like Phases 1, 2 and 3 of our WBCCI time (have been RVing for 42 years). We have been Trustee several terms and have organized or helped organize about twenty rallies.

During Phase 1 family obligations and limited holidays curtailed our involvement except for the International at Lake Placid, two Homecomings at the factory and Unit rallies. Other interests kept me from being involved in the political life of the club. Really enjoyed the Unit activities.

During Phase 2 we attended a half dozen Internationals and a couple of Regional rallies and a bunch of Unit rallies. It was during this time that the doings of the International Executive really got under my tail feathers. A few examples: a) suspending a Regional President for speaking out against International decisions, and ambushing him with the notice of suspension when he arrived at the regional rally he organized. b)insisting that Canadians recite in the American Pledge to the Flag, even at rallies in Canada. c) failure to give respect to the Canadian National Anthem at Internationals, prompting several walk-outs by offended Canadians. d) white tuxedos and ball gowns at International and a dress code far beyond what one would expect as reasonable for an RV club. e) abuse of club rules to prevent people deemed "unsuitable" from running for office f) abuse of the rules to kick members out of the club for speaking out against abuses. g) an over abundance of rules and an eagerness to use them to avoid change. h) the use of some interpretation of what Wally would have done to shoot down any idea not agreed with. The above is a partial list of the things I and others had problems with. We enjoyed the Unit rallies we attended during this time, attended one Regional rally and decided we had enough of International.

I expect some "flame" over these comments. If I am wrong in any particular feel free to say so, but please don't tell me I don't have the right to express these views.

During Phase three we have only attended Unit rallies and one Regional. We see change slowly creeping into the higher levels of the club and that is a good thing. But the blush is off that rose and I can't see ever going to another International. We still enjoy Unit rallies, even if we don't get to all of them. The Unit is the only things that keeps us in the club

If I were starting over again now I would likely join the club but I would be darned sure to speak out loudly against the abuses and self-serving foolishness that went on in the past. I do not subscribe to the axiom that "It is not for us to question those who God puts in above us".
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
A good post, Ron, and pretty accurate, though I get the feeling that it displays the state of affairs from a few years ago. Since then, I get the feeling that things have really changed quite a bit at the highest level. While we were unable to attend, the Farmington international seemed to be much more of a rally and less of just a business meeting. And that's good news!

Of course, we're in 100% agreement about local and regional rallies, which have always been a great deal more fun -- and well as more responsive to member likes and dislikes.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Joined 32 years ago, retired 17 years ago, and have been full-timing for the past 10 years. It's like Phases 1, 2 and 3 of our WBCCI time (have been RVing for 42 years). We have been Trustee several terms and have organized or helped organize about twenty rallies.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
Yes, things seem to be changing for the better. Too bad so much damage was done during the "dark ages".
Old 07-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Bob, if only one life was saved in a sea of lookalike trailers wouldn't that be enough.? Have you ever been to a rally where there were dozens of AS? Sometimes I wonder at the forum rallys how the authorities could locate someone quickly in an emergency. Is there a person designated to help police, or are you on your own. In the WBCCI there would be that person I believe with ID numbers and location. I guess what I am saying us don't be so negative to the point of refusing to accept something useful. Wish you luck and much fun camping by yourself, a lot of us would rather be with fellow silver. To each his own.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Bob, if only one life was saved in a sea of lookalike trailers wouldn't that be enough.? Have you ever been to a rally where there were dozens of AS? Sometimes I wonder at the forum rallys how the authorities could locate someone quickly in an emergency. Is there a person designated to help police, or are you on your own. In the WBCCI there would be that person I believe with ID numbers and location. I guess what I am saying us don't be so negative to the point of refusing to accept something useful. Wish you luck and much fun camping by yourself, a lot of us would rather be with fellow silver. To each his own.

Hi, we go to one forum rally per year, but not this year. At Jackson Rancheria. There are about 50 Airstreams there. I don't ever remember anyone having a problem, but I'm sure if there was a problem, there would be several people in the area directing the EMT's to the right place. [no red numbers needed] I, for sure, wouldn't want only a designated person to help me. In answer to your question; Yes one life would matter. I still wonder if anyone knows for sure that the red numbers have saved someone's life?????

I don't think that I'm being negative, but rather realistic.

We do like our friends at the one rally per year, but we didn't buy a "Rally Trailer" we bought a "Travel Trailer" and we prefer to travel on our own, "randomly."
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
RonH -Exactly the attitude that caused me to leave the WBCCI, in particular the Ontario Unit.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
I have always supported the Ontario Unit and still do. From time to time I find an issue I do not agree with, but not very often. But then, who ever agrees with everything. We have had some pretty good executives who have been responsive to the membership. They have a pretty good batting average. One hates to see people unhappy to the point of leaving on one single issue.

It is broad-based institutional stupidity that I object to.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I've been a member for six years or so. When we first got out trailer, I joined the Airforums and at that time there were some lengthy discussions about the WBCCI and if it even had a future. I was leaning towards not joining, then met some great folks at a non-WBCCI rally (Springstream put on by Alan; shout out to a great rally series).

The people we met convinced us to join and we made some more great friends. Later my wife and I were part of the group which formed the Southeastern Camping Unit of the WBCCI, and have had even more fun.

I am seeing some positive changes now near the top of the WBCCI leadership which I believe will bring the club into the modern age. There is a great history with the club and I believe it to be the premier Airstream affinity group much like the Mustang Club of America is for Ford Mustangs and which I also belong.

Try as best you can to get a feel for the unit(s) in your area. (There is no requirement to join the one closest to you. Our unit has members from all over the country) Then join a unit you think you will like and spend time camping in your Airstream with them.

We really enjoy rallies and the few short (week long) caravans we have been on. As a still working person for many years to come, we can only dream about the month long caravans at this point, but plan to participate in them in the future.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Shermantic, I also note that you are from WV. If you have the time, I encourage you to attend the Alumilina rally in October. I isn't too terribly far and there will be a lot of Airstreamrs. Both WBCCI members and non-members there.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we go to one forum rally per year, but not this year. At Jackson Rancheria. There are about 50 Airstreams there. I don't ever remember anyone having a problem, but I'm sure if there was a problem, there would be several people in the area directing the EMT's to the right place. [no red numbers needed] I, for sure, wouldn't want only a designated person to help me. In answer to your question; Yes one life would matter. I still wonder if anyone knows for sure that the red numbers have saved someone's life?????

I don't think that I'm being negative, but rather realistic.

We do like our friends at the one rally per year, but we didn't buy a "Rally Trailer" we bought a "Travel Trailer" and we prefer to travel on our own, "randomly."

Again, I find it funny that those who choose not to join the WBCCI can't help but comment about it in every thread that appears. Why don't they just join and get it over with.

We have been members for several years.

We attend rallies hosted by both WBCCI and AirForums folks regularly. We have hosted rallies for both.

We have attended rallies that were so informal it was more like the RV park just happened to be full of Airstreams instead of a rally; no one really did anything.

We have changed units a couple times to find the right fit.

Some folks like the meetings and structure and find it fun.

Some folks call a potluck on Saturday night a rally.

We attended the International in Farmington and liked it. We attended several meetings and events, and found that the vast majority of the folks who choose to put on a beret and a white shirt really want to provide a fun and enjoyable environment for everyone. Some were quite emotional about the relationships they had formed as members.

One couple held their 65th wedding anniversary reception there. It was also the 30th International they had attended. They considered other members as a close part of their family.

The real answer is: Try It.

No one else can tell you if it is for you.

If the first unit you try doesn’t seem like a good fit, try another.

Or, it may be it isn’t for you.

One of life’s great things: You can pick friends, it is only family you are stuck with.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Again, I find it funny that those who choose not to join the WBCCI can't help but comment about it in every thread that appears. Why don't they just join and get it over with.
Hi, we who don't join are allowed to give our opinions. So what's so funny about that?????? I guess you would like it, just like the club, where it is a one way street and people who have their own opinions are shut up or kicked out of your club. The title of this thread is basically asking for thoughts and opinions; No-where in this thread does it say that you have to be a member to state your opinions. If you don't want to hear from non-joiners, start your own private WBCCI forum where only members of your club can join and comment. Last I looked, this was still "AIR FORUMS"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Bob, you feel better now? Opinions are welcome, but yours are used to argue with another's opinion. Some of us, me included, need to learn to state our opinions without confronting someone Else. Just the facts, or opinions.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Aviator

I have been to many rally's WBCCI and forum rally's! We might join that rally! We was defiantly turned off on the WBCCI after visiting a rally at the AS PARK IN VA.
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Each local unit is a reflection of the leadership of that unit at that time. It can change for the positive or negative year from year. Some units are camping units. Others cater to the touring crowd who like seeing new things. Others are just social clubs that happen to own Airstreams. Some are into sports. The bulk of your dues money goes to pay the salaries of the four ladies in Jackson Center, who administer the club and publish the Blue Beret. Minor money goes to International and Regional officers for travel subsidies. The unit description, published on the WBCCI.ORG website, should give you a clue as to which unit you might find interesting or valuable to you.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I posted this earlier on a similar thread.

We have been a member since 2009. When I first got the "promo" packet from WBCCI, the dvd was like something from the 60's and every picture in the Blue Beret was really very old people. Lots of them. All of them.
When we went to our first rally, I told my wife "If we can get thru this first weekend without having to do CPR, maybe we'll hang in there for a while." We even thought about bringing a defibrillator from her office. Seriously. As it turned out, we had a great time and have made a lot of good friends of all ages that we often see outside the rallies.
My wife is on the local board and we have hosted several rallies. We DO NOT wear berets or ties. In fact, I've never seen a tie at any rally and beret maybe once or twice. We go to great locations, have great food, have fun and interesting events, and happy hour starts promptly at 5 every time.
That being said, the governing board is bloated, bureaucratic, somewhat autocratic with entrenched leadership, way out of date and out of touch, has ancient and silly rules like dress codes, and sometimes acts more like a Christian organization than a camping club.
For example, at the last international rally, one of our board members towed her trailer all the way there by herself only to discover that no one would help her park her trailer of even show her the way because it was the "Lord's day." That didn't stop them from smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol, so I guess that's approved by the Lord but not parking. Many locals start the meeting, meals, or events with prayers honoring Jesus. That gets right in your face if you're Jewish or another faith that doesn't recognize Jesus. It's a CAMPING CLUB!!!!
The international organization election of board members is really a coronation as a "nominating committee" selects one person to run for each office. So why bother voting.
Our unit is very open, progressive, inviting, tolerant, and full of fun people of all ages and convictions. While some other units are shrinking we are one of the fastest growing units. You almost never hear any discussion of religion or politics except that religion plays way too big a role in the organization. I can't even figure out how religion became so entwined in the club. Nothing I've ever read about Wally Byam indicated any religion was a major part of his life or had anything to do with Airstreams. In fact, when asked, he said "His religion was camping."
If it wasn't for the clubs insurance coverage for rallies and caravans, many of our members don't see a huge benefit to the larger organization. Probably the single biggest and best benefit is meeting the members of other local units. Very few of our members go the the international. There's just not much interest in except for a few who are trying to inject new blood into the leadership. Kind of a Don Quixote thing maybe. I wish them the best but frankly, I find many other ways to beat by head against a wall with better results.
I read all the comments so far and only a couple know what they are writing about. The rest are uniformed, too cheap to even being a contributing member here, clearly don't like people, or people don't like them so they don't see any reason to socialize beyond Facebook, the narcissists playground. Sorry, my rant drifted a little off course.
None the less, I stay in the organization because of all the wonderful and generous people we have met traveling the US. For example, the organizers of the Mardi Gras and Albuquerque Balloon Festival have worked so hard to put on a premiere event, that I feel both obligated and privileged to support their efforts.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hendrix and Dwight, well said.
For my 2C, change the name of the club to:
WBCI (the Wally Byam Club International) or WBCCCI (Wally Byam Camping and Caravan Club International) My first thought before I joined was that the club was for caravaning ONLY.
Change the term limits for the Regional and International President (I did not check by-laws). Some have good ideas and 1 term might be too short.

mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think someone is confused as to the no parking on Sunday. No one I ever met from the club would refuse to help someone park in this situation. No one forces you to pray, just have a moment of silent reflection. PC police can ruin a good time, usually for themselves.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I think someone is confused as to the no parking on Sunday. No one I ever met from the club would refuse to help someone park in this situation. No one forces you to pray, just have a moment of silent reflection. PC police can ruin a good time, usually for themselves.
I'm not sure who you referring to as confused, but it did happen. And it doesn't matter what day of the week. The ideology or religious dogma does not belong in a camping organization that wants to include all. BTW, it happened at the 2014 rally, not the one in New Mexico. I doubt if the PC cops ruined it for themselves. In fact the zealots probably felt righteous. It did leave a very bad taste for members in our unit and it one of the main reasons most of our members have no interest in attending an international rally.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There were 425 units at New Mexico, including 13 couples in hotels. Not all of them were on the fairground at the same time. That is only 7% of the club members. The Vintage Airstream Interclub held a big rally at Durango the week before the international. Only half decided to join the rally at Farmington. We had a good time, although it was hot during the day. Religion did not play a big part in the rally except for a short invocation at the opening and closing ceremonies. The average age of the participants was well into their 60s or 70s, although there were 22 in the young group activities. The people in leadership positions were even older. The VAC tent was the center of many less formal activities.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I drove past this place today; Nobody was home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07936.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	243543  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144