Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Steve and Jan,

By all means do join the Wisconsin Unit! Don't worry about all the WBCCI politics you see on these forums. That's all International stuff which you don't generally need to pay any attention to--and to tell you the truth, most members don't!

In the Wisconsin Unit we don't take ourselves too seriously, we just have a lot of fun together. It shows, too--according to Jerry Larson's "State of the WBCCI" presentation we are the fastest growing "traditional" unit in the WBCCI (behind a few "non-traditional" units like WDCU and 4CU).

Check out our web site at WBCCI Wisconsin - Region 7, Unit 116 You can read the last few issues of our award-winning newsletter, the Badger Bulletin, and get some idea of the kinds of things we do.

And, if you're so inclined. . . there's a membership application there, too!

Hope to see you down the road,
Nuvi

P S - Kevin & Matt - thanks for putting in good words for the Wisconsin Unit
Thanks for the info Nuvi, we're considering it

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #22
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Fresh Air!

Wow... thank you everyone for your posts. It is so nice to hear good stuff for once. Keep the great news coming for others to read and before you know it we will have a 100 new members who will be so happy they joined and go to a rally and met more folks like you!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Here's why we haven't joined yet.

1. Our Overlander is probably a year away from "camp worthy." Our focus (and finances) will be on getting the '67 on the road.

2. We did join Tin Can Tourists and are supporting members of this forum. Why? TCT allowed us to post an ad, no obligation. Joining seemed like the least we could do. The Air Forums has been an invaluable aid thus far. Again, we were able to participate "no strings attached." Making a donation seemed like the least we could do in return. I don't see an immediate benefit to WBCCI membership.

3. I'm allergic to drama. Seriously, I think it is very hard to get an accurate impressions of a social club based on Internet forums. Some folks seem to like the WBCCI, particularly the "alternative" units. Some folks seem not so thrilled. I think the only way to know is to go camping with a unit... and that isn't going to happen until we resolve the issue in #1.

4. I'm a little apprehensive about the Blue Book and Appendix and what seem like a lot of rules. The point of camping for us is to escape structure and formality. Of course, until we actually do a rally or event, it's hard to know where the paper rules start and stop. This said, when I'm in relaxed camping "life is easy" mode, I'm not inclined to worry much about arranging my flags.

5. The red numbers don't matter to me. Really. Growing up in rural Montana, I don't ever remember seeing an Airstream. We had a slide-in truck camper for years followed by a serious of "sob" camper trailers. This includes the "Aristocrat," a trailer now a family legend due to its length of service and generally horrific condition. It's probably now a Superfund site. Back to the point, my wife and I decided we liked the design and style of the Airstreams and we thought vintage would be "cool" for an extended hiatus. We were never a part of the Airstream culture we really don't understand the whole red number/WBCCI mystique. I'm not saying this is good or bad... it's just foreign.

When our '67 is rolling down the highway, we'll make it a point to check our a rally or unit gathering or some other event. My wife will know in about five or ten minutes if the situation is a "fit." We're both relatively quiet folks. Perhaps because my job is so public, I'm more of an introvert in private life. If we like the WBCCI based on the people we meet in real life, we'll join. If not, we'll wish the organization the best of luck and do something else.

Really, folks, there are a lot of wonderful people on the Air Forums. No matter how strongly supportive (or non-supportive) you are of the WBCCI, no one can say what is someone else's cup of tea. I guess everyone just has to try for themselves.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Here's why we haven't joined yet.

1. Our Overlander is probably a year away from "camp worthy." Our focus (and finances) will be on getting the '67 on the road.

2. We did join Tin Can Tourists and are supporting members of this forum. Why? TCT allowed us to post an ad, no obligation. Joining seemed like the least we could do. The Air Forums has been an invaluable aid thus far. Again, we were able to participate "no strings attached." Making a donation seemed like the least we could do in return. I don't see an immediate benefit to WBCCI membership.

3. I'm allergic to drama. Seriously, I think it is very hard to get an accurate impressions of a social club based on Internet forums. Some folks seem to like the WBCCI, particularly the "alternative" units. Some folks seem not so thrilled. I think the only way to know is to go camping with a unit... and that isn't going to happen until we resolve the issue in #1.

4. I'm a little apprehensive about the Blue Book and Appendix and what seem like a lot of rules. The point of camping for us is to escape structure and formality. Of course, until we actually do a rally or event, it's hard to know where the paper rules start and stop. This said, when I'm in relaxed camping "life is easy" mode, I'm not inclined to worry much about arranging my flags.

5. The red numbers don't matter to me. Really. Growing up in rural Montana, I don't ever remember seeing an Airstream. We had a slide-in truck camper for years followed by a serious of "sob" camper trailers. This includes the "Aristocrat," a trailer now a family legend due to its length of service and generally horrific condition. It's probably now a Superfund site. Back to the point, my wife and I decided we liked the design and style of the Airstreams and we thought vintage would be "cool" for an extended hiatus. We were never a part of the Airstream culture we really don't understand the whole red number/WBCCI mystique. I'm not saying this is good or bad... it's just foreign.

When our '67 is rolling down the highway, we'll make it a point to check our a rally or unit gathering or some other event. My wife will know in about five or ten minutes if the situation is a "fit." We're both relatively quiet folks. Perhaps because my job is so public, I'm more of an introvert in private life. If we like the WBCCI based on the people we meet in real life, we'll join. If not, we'll wish the organization the best of luck and do something else.

Really, folks, there are a lot of wonderful people on the Air Forums. No matter how strongly supportive (or non-supportive) you are of the WBCCI, no one can say what is someone else's cup of tea. I guess everyone just has to try for themselves.
Well written Hampstead..I agree with a lot that you have said...Especially about the Blue Book and all the rules... We have enough rules in our everyday lives, when we hitch up the Airstream and try to get away from it all, that means getting away from the rules too..We try to find peace and relaxation...

I can see the fun of getting together with other people, but caravanning is not for us.

I'm not into the red numbers either and even if we do join I wouldn't have them on my trailer, I paid to much for this baby to mess it up like that...

No disrespect to those who do, but to each their own....I still think it's a worthwhile organization, just to many rules and way to much politics for us.

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Limited34 View Post
Still debating on joining, wife wants to, I'm not so sure, we do read lots of stuff on the forum and will make up our minds one of these years..
Steve - Please don't let what you read here on the Forums be your deciding factor. Find a unit with which you think ya'll might have something in common. Go with an open mind. If that 1st unit does not work out, fish for another one. My observation - I've made the best, most valued, most lasting friends in my unit than in any other organization I've ever known, including my church(es). And that's what I like best about my Airstream, and not just on Thursdays either (joke folks, please, no letters). Airstream folks are the best!!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Steve - Please don't let what you read here on the Forums be your deciding factor. Find a unit with which you think ya'll might have something in common. Go with an open mind. If that 1st unit does not work out, fish for another one. My observation - I've made the best, most valued, most lasting friends in my unit than in any other organization I've ever known, including my church(es). And that's what I like best about my Airstream, and not just on Thursdays either (joke folks, please, no letters). Airstream folks are the best!!
I want to agree with that totally. I am 42, my wife is 43, and we have a 10 and a 2 year old daughter. We are on the young end of the demographics bar for the WBCCI. This past year has been the best one that we all can remember. From April thru now we managed to attend a rally every three weeks. We are working folks, kids in school, but just made the commitment to going. Most of our events were with the WDCU, and if you cannot have fun with that group, well than in my opinion the club really does not need you too badly. From that group we have developed very close personal relationships. People we care deeply about and view as our family. I am not going to name names for that would all take too long to thank everyone properly for having shared their free time with us. They all know who they are. We have made friends outside of our unit too, and cherish those friendships too. I have never in my life felt as for-filled as I am due to my WBCCI experiences.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109_resize.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	70038
As you can see here, I am not the typical club member. One would think that I belong at Sturges and not a WBCCI event, but this club has been exactly where I feel comfortable. Looking at my picture, do you think I am the type to read a book full of rules and actually care? I read the BOOK and already know what is right and wrong. My parents taught me how to conduct myself and the blue book can just sit there. I hear about all these rules. I hear about too many rules, however I never see them being applied. I hear it has happened, and the same rules reverse the ruling of the original rules. But frankly, Frank could care less about all the rules.

I also want to point out that the WBCCI is by no means in competition to the Air Forums. The two can work together if folks allow them to. This forum is a huge asset to the entire community and thank God it is here. If you have not donated in a while, please do, let's keep this forum going too. Two options is always better than one in my opinion. Don't forget the Tin Can Tourists, they are a great group too.

I feel so strongly about the WBCCI that I put on extra bold, extra large red numbers...

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	70036
I am one proud dude. And if anyone thinks that lowered the value of my trailer than good for you, I think you are wrong. This probably brought the value down too...

Name:	IMG_2629.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	70037
It increased the value to me.

I have stated this before... Hampstead38 take note.... I will pay all rally fees to anyone, not a WBCCI member, to any Washington DC Unit rally. I do not want to hear about any rules against this or anything of the sort.... I am a carpenter with shallow pockets that believes so strongly about his club, that I will pay your way. A no obligation trial rally... how could you go wrong?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'm not yet a member, but I have been warmly invited to several different rallies to see what it's all about. I have been invited to these rallies by happy WBCCI members who are also happy AirForums contributors. I see no conflict at all between the two.

I am looking forward to attending my first rally in February, the Texas State Vintage Rally being held near San Antonio, which is being sponsored by several of the Texas WBCCI units. I am also planning on attending the Cherry Blossom Rally in April, which is being put on by the Washington DC Unit.

I will see first-hand the truth about the WBCCI, and I already know that I will be welcomed warmly and have a great time. I will make up my own mind about the Club, rather than listening to what is said on these Forums, and I am confident that I will like what I see from these WBCCI club members, because they have been nothing but gracious and kind in my dealings so far.

I encourage others to do the same. Check out rallies near you. Meet with local WBCCI units that are near you. Make up your own mind, not by reading these Forums, but by socializing with REAL PEOPLE out there in the world.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I look forward to every rally that I attend with the club. My wife and I always have a great time visiting new places with our WBCCI family. Our rally list this year included the RMVAC rally in Colorado, the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and a half dozen others. Sitting around the campfire at night with your friends, having fun is what it is all about.

I don't think you should judge the club by what you read here. You need to attend a rally in your area and make you decision based on what you see and do. The 4CU gets more members at rallies then anyplace else. Please contact me if you would like to attend one of our rallies.

See you around the campfire.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I just payed for my second year. I was going to hold back, but the WDCU is worth every penny of the membership. I am going to just continue to get out of it what I put into it.
Best to not let Politics get in the way of fun... doing so leads to a real negative life.

Frank, you are right on!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Our Story

We had owned our '75 23' for a little over a year, and had actually thought about joining the WBCCI. Then, on our way back from Alaska this last summer, we bumped into some Airstreamers from MIssissippi, I believe it was, who were returning from the international rally in Bozman, MT., at a rest stop. Wish I could remember those folks names, because I'd like to personally thank them again. They were very friendly, and very enthusiastic about the WBCCI, and their encouragement was all we needed.

We've recently joined the WBCCI, and the Alamo Unit here in San Antonio, and all I can say is, what a nice group of people. They are really great to be around. Before joining, I figured it was just a club that Airstream owners could be in that was headquartered in some distant location, that we would not have much participation in, but man oh man, was I wrong.

It's all about the Unit that you join, the friends you make there, and the activities of that unit. At least, that's the way we see it having just joined.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:44 AM   #31
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I've lived in a very rural area of the Texas Hill Country all my life and I've been a member of the same church for over 40 years. My best friends should be here where I live, but that isn't the situation. My best friends are in my unit, The Texas Highland Lakes Unit of the WBCCI.

Hopefully, none of you will ever need friends as I did a couple of years ago. I was misdiagnosed for several months as having cancer. It wasn't my friends with whom I eat breakfast at a local cafe that stepped up. It wasn't a friend that I allow to hunt free on one of my ranches. It wasn't members of my church who came forward to offer support. It was many, many of my acquaintences in my unit. Acquaintences with whom I really didn't have much history at the time. They visited, some driving hundreds of miles to check on me. They sent emails, they sent prayers, they phoned. I was overwhelmed with their interest and compassion at a time when I truly needed their support in my life. As it turned out, I didn't have cancer after all.

Time went on. As my wife and I attended more rallies, deep friendships just developed. Now, as I said earlier, my best friends are in the Texas Highland Lakes Unit of the WBCCI and all this from a fellow who didn't think I'd enjoy a camping club. I figured I'd have nothing in common with most anyone as I lived in the country with most of our members living either in or near a major metropolitan area. I always figured I could find my own places to camp without any help from anyone and I certainly could, but that is not the issue. As in anything else, it is the people you meet in life that gives life quality. Maybe I'm just lucky to have gotten into a unit such as I have, but it is one of the best things we've ever done. At the local unit level, we don't ever see any of the problems that I read about on the forums. By saying that I am not trying to minimize any problems with the club. I think some things are problematic. It is just at the level we participate, at the unit level, there are nothing but positives about the experience.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #32
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am one proud dude. And if anyone thinks that lowered the value of my trailer than good for you, I think you are wrong. This probably brought the value down too...
Attachment 70037
It increased the value to me.
Way too cool on the name on the front side! Sandi and I have been talking about it for years but still haven't agreed on what to put on the curve. I love what you did!

Rick

PS: Still hunting down a campground for next year. I never would have thought it would be so difficult. I think that between the date we choose and the area we are going to have a difficult time of it. I am planning for 50+ rigs.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I appreciate the offer, Frank, but given what we're spending on the Airstream, rally fees should not be an issue. Our priority is to focus on the renovation of the trailer. When we start our "shakedown cruises," I'm sure we'll make a point to find a rally or other WBCCI gathering. I agree with Marcus. The only way to decide about the WBCCI is to spend time with members in real life. I try to always keep an open mind about people and situations.

I think most of us can relate to the "blind date" story. A well-intentioned friend knows this person who is successful, attractive, intelligent, funny, etc. This blind date can be a wonderful person but there are no guarantees when it comes to human relationships. Just because things don't work out doesn't mean one person or the other is flawed in some way. Chemistry is quirky. We connect with some people; with others we just don't. I'm sure there are great people in the WBCCI and great Airstream owners who just don't find the WBCCI their cup of tea. As for me, I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing. If we find a unit we like, great. If not, we're still going to have a wonderful time on the road.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #34
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Chemistry is quirky. We connect with some people; with others we just don't. I'm sure there are great people in the WBCCI and great Airstream owners who just don't find the WBCCI their cup of tea. As for me, I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing. If we find a unit we like, great. If not, we're still going to have a wonderful time on the road.
You are so right. I work in retail, so all day long I have to be outgoing, gregarious, happy, smiling, etc. In my free time, I tend to hang back from the pack, not really making an effort to become part of the "group". At my first rally, the WDCU Installation Rally, it was as if members sensed this in me, and they seemed to go out of their way to include me and make me feel welome. I really enjoyed my time at my first official WBCCI function. I feel like I made 60 new friends that weekend.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Finally - A Positive Spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I have met nothing but very nice folks in the WBCCI and the Vintage Airstream Club. I haven't regretted joining either group. A club is what we make of it....both negative and positive.
"You Can't Please Everybody... All Of The Time"

I went to a Garden Party
To reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories
and play our songs again.
When I got to the Garden Party
They all knew my name
But no one recognized me
I didn’t look the same.
But it’s all right now.
I learned my lesson well.
You see you can’t please everyone
So you got to please yourself.
Rick Nelson, “Garden Party” (1971)

Little Ricky (who met his demise in an Aluminum DC-3, if I recall correctly) might have fit in with SOME WBCCI unit - since we all change as we get older.

A lot of the dissing is about National - ALL of the camping is Units.

Not all Units will fit everyone...I found a "fit" at TAHI - it's remote, some the internal roads are deteriorating (some have been resurfaced), it's close to NOTHING, the meetings are always at the same spot, 3 1/2 hours from the house....all reasons NOT to belong to a club, and yet...it works for me.

It IS all about enjoying the time you have left here on earth, and unfortunately, there are just not enough Forum Rallies to fill all of that time. Besides - most of the Old Guard WallyBanger guys will not be capable of guiding the club for many more years....the times, they are a-changing.

See the link below for more information to the Zavalla Texas Airstream Harbor.

welcome

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Has anyone received a "second and final notice" for dues either this year or previously? I received one and don't recall such a notice going out in past years when payment was delayed. Is this something new? The final notice made me take stock very quickly until I saw it was an invoice for WBCCI. Phew guess we are safe with having the lights still on and the trucks in the garage, lol.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #37
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
No notice for me, I payed up right away.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No notice here either

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Has anyone received a "second and final notice" for dues either this year or previously? I received one and don't recall such a notice going out in past years when payment was delayed.
Two thoughts...

1) You've never "not paid" with the first notice before
2) As a MAL, your dues notice comes from International rather than a local Unit Treasurer.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That makes sense, but I was wondering if the terminology "final notice" might be a new addition of urgency to get members not to let their memberships lapse?? I missed a few BBs last year and the index listing by not signing up immediately, but did not receive a second notice...unless I missed an Airstream mailing then. Seems when we receive something from Airstream such as the winter specials for service we receive multiplies and this came right along in the same batch so between Brad and I we received 4 or 5 envelopes from Airstream all on the same day this week.

I am wondering if this past year made any significant membership changes to WBCCI or not and if WBCCI is making stronger efforts to solicit members in renewal. That was a hunch I was basing my original question upon to see if anyone in the past years had a second notice or not.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Carol

I would imagine that the "Final Notice" would mean the need your dues so you can get your name published in the directory. November 1 is always the deadline. If you choose not to have your name in the directory and pay after November 1 I would bet WBCCI would still accept your money.

Keep the shiny side up.

Bob
Member FCU
WBCCI # 10105
Air # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote