Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
_

. , .
this month in the blue beret....

ok wb'ers current, past and prospective...

we've have a couple of good threads on the monthly bb issues...

well since it's monthly, a new thead each time might be too much,

given lots of each edition has been repeat or will be repeated, repeated...

BUT we could have one long 'ole thread on blue berets,

and each month just add the newest info to the thread...THIS THREAD!

so here we go....

i received the december blue beret last week...

-cover is holiday cheer that's no surprise.
-pres message is holiday wishes; again that's 2 be expected. his first 2 months had interesting messages but now they read according to script.
next month will be 'new year renewal and resolution, then winter is ending, then spring, then renewal a plea to get involved,
go camping and attend the international, and so on...

-usual assortment of ads...dealers, vendors, insurance but not on the back cover...

no sir, on the back cover is a variation of the club logo...and leo/save wally with LOVE this...

usually the club logo is WBCCI/picture of wally and little print with subheading 'the airstream RV association' on most publications...

only this month THE AIRSTREAM RV ASSOCIATION leads on a shinny silver oval...with a little bitty wbcci/wally following...

pretty obvious modification of the usual logo...is something in the wind?

-there is a nice story inside on a 3rd generation wb'er...heartwarming and full of cheer.

-a/s must be reading the forums as there is a full page on ubws, gvwr, ncc and full capacity specs for ALL of this years models...nice.

-there are the usual rally/caravan reports and the painful monthly updates from each region, listing winter events like luncheons...

the other 2 really great pieces are...

-burt's update of the capetown2cairocaravan

-and a piece by renee...the 'communicator' chairperson...
she has listed 3 months worth of comments and suggestions for improving the club, the international and so on...dating clear back to july!

its a pretty long list, three pages, mostly un edited and very progressive 4 her to do...

i cannot type the list here but perhaps she will see this note and can digitally upload the list for all here to view...

it is the most promising first step i've seen to suggest real change for the club....is possible.

i'm sure some aren't happy with the list being published but i commend her for doing so...

now my suggestion is...
take the list and create a survey with most items from the list...
let members mark a scale from 'very important to not very important' for each item (a 4-5 point scale) and return those to h/q...

this would measure some member perspective on these very important items...

that's my view/report of this months blue beret...

please add more comments and discuss YOUR views

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I am suprised that you did not see the fireworks from the SaveWally site regarding the back cover of the BB. Leo set off quite a few.

Congratulations to Renee for her article, hopefully something will happen. I agree with most of the items in the article.

Bill

Catsup has natural mellowing agents. You need more Catsup.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Didn't we just vote about this? Hello????

It is discouraging that the leadership of the WBCCI seems to disregard the directives of the members.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
One way or another, the name change will be shoved down our throats - be it by blunt force at a tea spoon at a time. I believe that the back cover of the BB represents the tea spoon methodology. Get us all used to the new identity and the increased usage of the "new identity" and eventually the whole club will go for it.

it may be interesting to note the psychological implications of setting up the logo that way. The leadership has demonstrated that it places a greater importance on the word Airstream than it does on Wally. It is so in 'yer face that it is subtile.

But it is a bold move and make no mistake, it is the clearest indication of where the leadership of the club intend to take us...

While you are at it, couple this with San Joaquins efforts to run the name change through again and you have a complete package.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The ideas are the members' ideas and they need to be aired.

This Special Committee (Communication Liaison
and Network) is a one-year appointment of the International President and
whether it continues after June 30, 2007 will depend upon the incoming President.

I'm telling you this to say it is imperative that members let club leaders
know how they feel about various club issues while this designated open
channel exists. Region officers are an ongoing channel.

One issue that this type of approach faces is how to demonstrate just how
many of the members feel a certain way. A survey would address this but some WBCCI members are tired of surveys. (I will pass on your suggestion for this survey as it is really a good idea.) For this reason, it is very
important that members encourage other members to relate their feelings
directly to their Region officers and International officers as well as
through me. Hearing something from more than a few sources is most
important.

I'll be presenting an even more comprehensive report to the Mid-Winter IBT
in January. The IBT members (Region Presidents and International Officers) need to be hearing the same things I'm hearing from
the people.

Please also encourage everyone you know to write me with their thoughts on the question that is posed in the December Idea Share Column. The topic is
one that comes up often, but if people don't write me with their suggestions
and thoughts, I have nothing to document to the board. My club email address is in the Blue Beret. Please pass the word!

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
[now my suggestion is...
let members mark a scale from 'very important to not very important' for each item (a 4-5 point scale) and return those to h/q...]

How could we affordably conduct such a member survey and have it computer processed? Could we put it on the website and have people respond there? How can we assure that each member responds only once? Not eveyone in the club is on the net. How about a page in the Blue Beret? What avenue and technology would make such a survey most valid and managable?
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, a survey was taken during the name change issue, part one. We posted a copy of that on Save Wally. I wonder what changes, if any, were accomplished as a result of that survey.

Also, when it comes to surveys, based on the last one, after interpretations, a name change was initiated and degraded beyond its original intent. I would like to see that once a survey is taken that the results of that survey are published immediately so that all can read it. often, the questions asked do not reflect the intent of asking.

Finally, if WBCCI members really want to see the club improve they have an obligation to fill that survey out and send it back. Otherwise, only a few people will offer suggestions that don't necessarily meet the needs of the membership. EVERY WBCCI member must respond.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Well then, is one of the upper-ups going to come to my house and replace my current WBCCI decals which I am quite hapy with?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
2air--- think i'll just skip the bb and read your comments--they are far more interesting---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Communicator----Survey procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
[now my suggestion is...
let members mark a scale from 'very important to not very important' for each item (a 4-5 point scale) and return those to h/q...]

How could we affordably conduct such a member survey and have it computer processed? Could we put it on the website and have people respond there? How can we assure that each member responds only once? Not eveyone in the club is on the net. How about a page in the Blue Beret? What avenue and technology would make such a survey most valid and managable?

One survey method would be to publish it in the BB, use a fill in the bubble format for each question, and return it by mail to be scanned. This method is used in education for grading tests. Accepting only original pages from the BB, no copies, should cut down on vote early, vote often and the non member voters. Up front, preface the survey with an explanation of why this is important and therefore the BB reader should take the time, and then commit to follow up reports in the BB of the survey results and then leadership usage of the info. This step is key to creating credibility with the member and their future participation in follow up surveys.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Let's understand that the survey's were a waste of time and money. It was poorly designed and they used the wrong analysis. This is a technical statement, not just a matter of opinion. If you want to understand this collection of people you need to use clusters, not means. WBCCI is a collection of groups. There is no such thing as a typical or average member. I know that is not a PC idea in the land of "we are all the same", but it is a fact. An informal reading of the forum reveals this in the characterizations used, old guard, "families", working members, young families, "new members", outsiders trying to change things, ect. The modest efforts being made to officially acknowledge this are interesting. It doesn't move the us / them line or alter the relative value of each "type" of member to the WBCCI in general. Which I submit is not the same "type" of member that keeps Unit active and growing. Once may have been.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
_

. , .
ok bb readers who would rather just look at pictures...

attached is the logo manipulation on the back cover this month...

somebody is playing name change games!
this really IS an insult to membership and an abuse of power...
unless it was all a big mistake!

i don't want to degrade this thread so again i'll point out the list of issues is very progressive!...

any chance we can have it posted in this thread for folks to review and comment on?
come on, don't make me type it...

i agree the last survey was mangled badly and interpreted poorly...

but bobkelly has expressed just how i was thinkin'...
it be done to survey feeling on this long list of issues.

i've got another idea or 2 but i'll save'em for a few days.

i also agree with b'cup more members need to respond...

when i was teaching full time and had students much smarter than me...

they had to complete a survey for all classes and the response rate was 30% or so...

except for my class. response rate was 100%...how?

the computer would not print out their final grades until the survey was completed....

worked great and while they may not have liked doing it,
my ratings or the class evaluation were not affected by this requirement....

so one idea is that members must complete a survey each year with their renewal applications...
the application isn't complete until the dots are rubbed with a pencil!

as for designing the proper survey and getting the best analysis,
i'd contact a college or university near j/c.
talk with the stats department or business school,
and get a grad student or 2 to do the work each year as part of a class assignment...

this could evolve into a long term relationship for not much money or effort...

the important thing is a neutral professional (or 1 in training) should do the design and analysis...

not the folks who bring us this months logo fiasco!

cheers
2air'

click on the pic for a bigger view...you WILL need to do this if ya wanna see wally!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wb logo .jpg
Views:	131
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	29728  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
ZOOMERANG or SURVEY MONKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
[now my suggestion is...

Two easy to use online survey software applications are Survey Monkey and Zoomerang. About 100-200 for a year subscription and you can create all kinds of surveys, download the results as an Excel spreadsheet to dice and slice, make graphs, etc.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting turn of events.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Angry Sick of it

I'm done with the name change issue. I joined the WALLY club - Wally represents my dream of travel with friends and family. Wally is why I lusted over owning an Airstream for my entire adult life. I'm thinking for the most part International is not in touch with its "younger" members and is beyond saving. Something I've realized over the past year; I LOVE my WBCCI Unit, but the WBCCI overall, well......

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
I'm done with the name change issue. I joined the WALLY club - Wally represents my dream of travel with friends and family. Wally is why I lusted over owning an Airstream for my entire adult life. I'm thinking for the most part International is not in touch with its "younger" members and is beyond saving. Something I've realized over the past year; I LOVE my WBCCI Unit, but the WBCCI overall, well......

I'm not so sure the WBCCI is beyond saving but I would certainly concur with the rest of your post.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

From what I understand, the higher ups are working with "THOR/Airstream" to see if it would be possible to badge another THOR motorhome with the "Airstream" name. This will become a problem, in the WBCCI bylaws, the product must be "manufactured" by "Airstream". You may find someone wanting to change the by-laws to include any product with the "Airstream Badge". This little change would allow them to continue to buy MH's and still be in the WBCCI.

Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
From what I understand, the higher ups are working with "THOR/Airstream" to see if it would be possible to badge another THOR motorhome with the "Airstream" name. This will become a problem, in the WBCCI bylaws, the product must be "manufactured" by "Airstream". You may find someone wanting to change the by-laws to include any product with the "Airstream Badge". This little change would allow them to continue to buy MH's and still be in the WBCCI.

Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")
I wonder how different visually a rebadged motorhome would be from the Airstream manufactured motorhomes. Perhaps there would be modifications done especially for an Airstream unit, though not at facilities in Ohio any more.

I see the need and can't think of any other way around letting members to continue to live out their golden WBCCI years in comfort and security. They have tended the club for us to inherit and need some provision.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #19
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thorstream

I'm just wondering why Airstream/Thor* would want a large restoration project like the WBCCI, with its declining/ageing membership.

Is it for its mailing list, its organizational skills, its polished Blue Beret Magazine, its young potential step-up buyers, the slogan "Oldest RV club in America" I don't understand ?

From a business stand point, would it not be easier for THOR to just start its own AIRSTREAM Club, than they could do anything they wanted, instead of wrestling with
the WBCCI. They could call it THE AIRSTREAM OWNERS CLUB, place some Flash adds on this forum, full page adds in Airstream Magazine and the Blue Beret!

All the maladies which plague the WBCCI, are very similar to the issues which plague: Religious groups, The Lions, The American Legion, The Odd Fellows, and other organizations.

Those of us who prefer the tradition of the WBCCI and VAC would be free to go our merry way; the old guard will eventually go the way of the old guard.

Or, THOR could simply change its name to AIRSTREAM and anything goes.

It's not like Thor does not know who already owns Airstreams, or T@B's or Basecamps.

A mass mailing, some slick brochure, low first year membership, a grass roots movement of new, young owners to form chapters, and they could be bigger than, and perhaps more responsive to new owners in 2 years time.

I've seen clubs climb on board the RV express over the past 6 years, haven’t you?

Is there something I'm missing here, or is it the other way around?

Is the WBCCI courting Thor, in the hopes of being thrown a life preserver?

I'm not looking to be burnt at the stake here, I'm just wondering?

*Thor Industries Inc. holds the trademarks of Thor and Airstream.

Michael

PS, I have and respect my family members who have served in leadership rolls in all the above mentioned organizations.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
I see the need and can't think of any other way around letting members to continue to live out their golden WBCCI years in comfort and security. They have tended the club for us to inherit and need some provision.[/quote] from Wheel in

Am I to understand that you think one can't be comfortable and secure in a traditional Airstream trailer ????? ----- pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote