Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Unfortunately, complainers and nay sayers will always exist. Within reason, I always look at it as glass half full.

From your personal experience, what does being in the club mean? As I mentioned, I just signed up a few days ago.

For me, being part of "the club" is just one more avenue to connect with like-minded people who own Airstreams. It is one of several "avenues" I will pursue. And as long as the pursuit brings me enjoyment, I will continue it. If it stops being fun, then I stop. Easy.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
I LOVE the fact that the WBCCI leadership is looking for ways to continue moving forward, and believe it's a great idea to incorporate Airstream into the branding considering the fact that membership is only to Airstreamers and legacy Airstream brands.

I've been in marketing for more than 30 years and understand first-hand the importance of branding. I spent nearly a decade at IBM, where we were continually focused on evolving our brand. That said, I'd caution that the new logo be carefully considered -- is this a transitional logo or one that the creators hope will last for at least 10-25 years. If the latter, it should be carefully developed and tested with current and prospective audiences. I feel, though, that we are in excellent hands with the current and future leadership and look forward to many years of membership in WBCCI.
melindamcmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Tradition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Tradition means something to people who think.
I suspect they don't want to continue the "tradition" of a dying WBCCI, so something would have to give, wouldn't it?
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
I suspect they don't want to continue the "tradition" of a dying WBCCI, so something would have to give, wouldn't it?

Membership is up. Sounds as if the infusion of new members trying to make change from within is what's helping to look toward the future without forgetting the past. Mona just got elected as 3rd VP and hopefully over time will ascend the ranks the run the show. We'll see.

I'm glad there's a use of the words "Airstream" and "Rallies" in the new name/logo.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Not only is membership up, but the average age is down slightly as well, indicating an influx of younger members. (Or was that the average age of Airstream owners in general? I wasn't paying enough attention.)

Changes in the club come from motions submitted by members— ANY members— and voted on by the IBT for changes to bylaws or by the Delegates (meaning the membership as a whole as represented by Delegates) in the case of changes to the WBCCI constitution. The WBCCI President doesn't get a vote in the IBT for bylaws changes unless a tie-breaker is needed, and tie-breakers are meaningless when a 2/3 majority vote is needed. He does get a vote in the Delegates' Meeting— exactly the same vote that every other member gets at the Unit level as represented by his Unit delegate— so there your own vote means just as much as his.

So a WBCCI President can foster an attitude of change but the actual changes occur at a lower level. If someone wants change, they should do their homework. Read the WBCCI Constitution and Bylaws, figure out what's wrong, come up with a way to make it right and determine how much it will cost to do it, and submit a motion to make the change.

The WBCCI President is only a symbol of the club and by himself (or herself in Mona's case) can only change the ceremonial aspects. The President can do away with the uniform dress code for meetings and go with "business casual" in place of mandated white shirt and dark pants, neckties and berets optional— after all, how you dress makes no difference in how you vote. The President could do away with the Parade of Flags on the opening day of the International Rally and just present the national flags while the hundred-some Unit flags are just lined up along the back wall in advance without ceremony— or even decide that Unit flags won't even be displayed at the International Rally because no one even bothers to look at them after the flag ceremony. But those ceremonial changes, however desirable they may be to some members of WBCCI, are trivial compared to changes to the Constitution and Bylaws that cannot be made by the President but only by the IBT and/or the general membership.

The club is its members, and only its members can change it for the better.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
Some of the traditions of the club can continue even as the club leaps forward. Forgetting or eliminating traditions of the past decades to cow tow to newer younger members would be unfortunate and mean the death of the club as we know it. Yes, things must change, but not at the cost of losing the clubs identity. Let's hope for leaps forward with an eye on what the club has stood for. It's being done. Jump forward but keep an eye on the past. I just wish I still owned an AS so I could be a member again.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I'm not a member of WBCCI, but I'm glad to see this change. It seems a step in the right direction.

Question: does WBCCI have a vBulletin or similar discussuon forum that a prospective non-member can join to learn more about the club?

My previous experience with a SOB forum was that you had to (first) pay up before participating, and after I was able to audit the forum, it was using very antiquated software (e.g. daily and weekly "email" summary's. Reminded me of a 9,600 baud dial up connection using AOL. )
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

The President can do away with the uniform dress code for meetings and go with "business casual" in place of mandated white shirt and dark pants, neckties and berets optional— after all, how you dress makes no difference in how you vote.
Are you serious?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #29

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Are you serious?
Yes. That was the established dress code for the participants in the flag ceremony AND the delegates' meeting. The IBT had their own slightly more rigid dress code established in the "protocol book" sent out to all IBT members prior to the International, but since that's above my pay grade, I didn't get a chance to see it— not that I wanted to.

Rank-and-file members had no particular dress code for any rally events, except that they were supposed to wear their name badges and the ribbons that showed that they had registered and paid. Other than that, they could wear whatever they liked, within the limits of common sense and public decency.

In the Delegates' meeting at least, some iconoclasts defied the dress code, but for the most part they complied, however reluctantly in some cases.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Yes. That was the established dress code for the participants in the flag ceremony AND the delegates' meeting. The IBT had their own slightly more rigid dress code established in the "protocol book" sent out to all IBT members prior to the International, but since that's above my pay grade, I didn't get a chance to see it— not that I wanted to.

Rank-and-file members had no particular dress code for any rally events, except that they were supposed to wear their name badges and the ribbons that showed that they had registered and paid. Other than that, they could wear whatever they liked, within the limits of common sense and public decency.

In the Delegates' meeting at least, some iconoclasts defied the dress code, but for the most part they complied, however reluctantly in some cases.
Woah.

Ok, thanks. Interesting to know.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #31

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Woah.

Ok, thanks. Interesting to know.
Don't let it deter you from joining. The dress code for event participants has relaxed somewhat in recent years— neckties and berets are optional rather than mandatory, and no one even mentions blazers anymore— and I expect that trend to continue in the future, with dress codes becoming even more relaxed until there isn't one anymore. We shouldn't have to dress alike to express our group solidarity; our Airstreams do that for us.

Besides, as I said, for rank-and-file membership dress codes are pretty much a non-issue already.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Don't let it deter you from joining. The dress code for event participants has relaxed somewhat in recent years— neckties and berets are optional rather than mandatory, and no one even mentions blazers anymore— and I expect that trend to continue in the future, with dress codes becoming even more relaxed until there isn't one anymore. We shouldn't have to dress alike to express our group solidarity; our Airstreams do that for us.

Besides, as I said, for rank-and-file membership dress codes are pretty much a non-issue already.

No worries.

Heck, we're still just figuring out how to avoid locking ourselves out of the Airstream again.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
No worries.

Heck, we're still just figuring out how to avoid locking ourselves out of the Airstream again.
You mean besides not locking it at all?

A spare key hidden somewhere in your tow vehicle is usually sufficient. If you lock yourself out of the tow vehicle as well, a call to your favorite roadside assistance company can usually get you back into your tow vehicle, which in turn will get you into your trailer when you retrieve the spare key.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
You mean besides not locking it at all?

A spare key hidden somewhere in your tow vehicle is usually sufficient. If you lock yourself out of the tow vehicle as well, a call to your favorite roadside assistance company can usually get you back into your tow vehicle, which in turn will get you into your trailer when you retrieve the spare key.

Oh yeah...I had both spare key blanks I got cut today at the locksmith. I'll keep them in the truck for now I guess.

With the truck, as long as I have my phone, so can use the uConnect app to unlock it. Assuming I have my phone lol.

We were in Holley NY, and my wife had gone to check on the laundry. I woke up groggy from a nap and the Mini Schnauzer had to go find a bush.

I went out and a gust of wind caught the door, and it closed with an odd click.

Yep, no keys, no phone, zip.

By chance I'd left the rear hatch unlocked. The camp host eventually leant me his impact drill driver and I was able to remove the under bed panel to gain access, then fortunately was able to wriggle through the hatch.

Two hours later.

It was a character building experience.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Established dress code.

Stick a fork in it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Last time I was in an organization with a dress code, it was as a Boy Scout Leader. I put up with it there as it was part and parcel of the programme.

Anything other than that, I don't see the need to be that formal.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Uncle Sam had a dress code for me a few years ago in the late 60s and early 70s..... Even selected the hairstyle - peach or cue ball.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Funny, you all have to the uninformed, virtually identical trailers, pulled by two or three lookalike tv types and you want to camp in groups. Yet you argue over a specific uniform that basically no one is required to wear. Have fun being different. Enjoy camping!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Uncle Sam had a dress code for me a few years ago in the late 60s and early 70s..... Even selected the hairstyle - peach or cue ball.

I get it. Antagonize the enemy so that they will do something foolish.

Every school year end, my dad would dig out his cold, manual hair clippers and shave most of my head bald. The ensuing attack in the play ground made me fast and smart but not tough. I guess it worked, sort of. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Ok, let's assume this is about branding. That would mean "they" want to increase membership. Ok, what we all have in common is an Airstream. I don't caravan and doubt I ever will. I am a member of the organization, but have begun to question why. This latest news is good. Make the club about owning an airstream, whether you caravan, boondock, or sit in a park. I for one would lose the Wally. I want to promote Airstreaming, as defined by the person who owns the Airstream...not Thor, not Wally.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote