Old 09-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
I am no longer z member for financial reasons but wouldnot want to be a member now. Lack of conformity and rules enforcement is a turn off to me,,, leads to camping anarchy at club events and i canget that at any cg.

Hmmmm. Not sure where lack of conformity is - do you mean not all badges look exactly the same? That's right. Local clubs asked to individualize their badges but all had to have the same Wally logo on them. If that's what you mean. Rules enforcement? I'm unclear what you mean by that and would be happy to hear your perspective on that. At any rate, we don't seem to have any anarchy - at least not so far!

twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
I remember seeing the red numbers about 65 years ago when I was a young kid. I asked my father about them and he explained it was a club and members could identify one another with the numbers and a directory which I thought was pretty cool.

When I received my numbers after joining seven years ago I was actually kind of excited to put them on as I recalled the old memory. I know, Iím a total dork.

We have a great group in the club out here in Oregon, informal and friendly. Pleased to see our member Mona head up ACI as she will bring a modern point of view. Which is much needed. For example, she received criticism from some of the older members for wearing a sleeveless dress for her ďBlue BeretĒ cover shoot.

No! Are you serious? Oh my. We were told this year not wear sleeveless tops to the Installation Ceremony in Doswell. Four wives/partners/officers said what the hell? It's 104! And besides, what's wrong with showing our arms, this is 2019!

Old 09-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Numbers; YES, the beret, white shirt, red tie and black pants, NO. I wore a uniform for many years, so didn't want to wear another.
mj
Just so you know, that "uniform" is only requested at two events at International. But I too would love to see that gone.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
We have been members for about 10 years. With the exception of the International Rally where certain protocols at meetings are (and should) be followed, I've never seen a "uniform". Also, I rarely see a beret.

Also, our President Mona looked nice dressed up for installation!

Didn't she though! And I loved her speech
Old 09-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I agree, throwing out tradition for the sake modernizing is wrong.

There are so many valuable things in the Airstream tradition and history. And if you read what Wally Byam wrote about camping and Airstreaming, it got lost along the line somewhere and got replaced with something very formal and structured and rigid. His writings are lovely and poignant but the concepts listed above are no where in those writings. We hope as the club moves forward, kindness to each other and fun camping, rallying and caravaning and making lifelong friends will be the dominant themes.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Wally just got to "OLD" and timed out...sad.

Bob
🇺🇸

If you look at the new logo, Wally Byam has been well recognized -

"Inspired by Wally Byam"
Old 09-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Twestover. You should have your own thread, or maybe you do it looks like you are talking to yourself.

LOL
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Twestover. You should have your own thread, or maybe you do it looks like you are talking to yourself.

LOL
?????? What are you talking about

I think she answered every comment referring to the club
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #69
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
I am no longer a member for financial reasons but would not want to be a member now. Lack of conformity and rules enforcement is a turn off to me, leads to camping anarchy at club events and i can get that at any cg.
You gave me a real chuckle. Rules are for conformity which also implies enforcement or else there is no need for rules. So which is more egregious to your way of thinking?

Flexibility in rule application or deletion to accommodate a greater diversity among members is the evolution underway. The widely agreed upon purpose is to grow the membership and participation as Airstream ownership numbers have expanded in recent years. The club would be headed into extinction without attracting some of those new to Airstream ownership.

Having been a member for years, it is all good given the recognized effort to blend past and future. The new blood has brought wonderful people and a wider variety of shared caravan and weekend experiences into our lives.

Quote:
...throwing out tradition for the sake of modernizing is wrong.
That's what the Cavalry thought when motorized weaponry came along.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am planning on joining But which unit? Each one has its own personality and I have met members of several. Two of their units were.. just fine for people who love tent revivals and think wine is sinful... the others I enjoyed.
It feels a little "off" to audition a unit, but I am sure I don't want to BE miserable or make the existing membership uncomfortable. Off to the website.

Oh BTW, caravanning is a way to have friends to share evenings with... and rescues on the road when a window blows out. I now carry 3 flat cardboard boxes where the EB tabletop used to be stowed. That and a roll of gorilla or aluminum tape... I am ready to assist.
Paula
Old 09-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I am planning on joining But which unit? Each one has its own personality and I have met members of several. Two of their units were.. just fine for people who love tent revivals and think wine is sinful... the others I enjoyed.
It feels a little "off" to audition a unit, but I am sure I don't want to BE miserable or make the existing membership uncomfortable. Off to the website.

Oh BTW, caravanning is a way to have friends to share evenings with... and rescues on the road when a window blows out. I now carry 3 flat cardboard boxes where the EB tabletop used to be stowed. That and a roll of gorilla or aluminum tape... I am ready to assist.
Paula

I think you can literally join any unit - you donít have to be local to it. Iím in the New England unit - love the people there and the vibe at rallies. I think if I ever moved, I would remain in the New England unit. The Blue Beret mag lists rallies and caravans all over the world. If Iím not mistaken, being a member of the club in any unit means you can participate in a rally in any area. So join a Unit you resonate with and travel to your heartís content!

And someday when we retire, weíre really looking forward to a couple of caravans. Sounds like a great way to spend a few weeks on the road with new friends, seeing new places and learning new things. Rallies are fun, solo camping is fun, and I imagine caravans are fun too.

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:51 AM   #72
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Any member can attend an event in any unit or region. Some events are like some caravans with waiting lists. We just finished our second caravan this year and I can highly recommend them.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #73
Dirtyairhead

2000 27' Safari
Boyne city , Michigan
We have been in the wbcci for 18+ years. One regional and two state rallies. Way too formal, stayed in hoping for a positive change.

Thanks for the change.

John w young Click image for larger version

Name:	20180919_110351.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	351283Click image for larger version

Name:	20190125_165756.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	351284
Old 09-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Your numbers are up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
I admit that having the numbers displayed on the AS is too ugly for me. I only accept License Plate, that's it. I do not want to ruin my AS with numbers. I have joined yet and if its required to display the numbers, it is not worth it.

My ex-perception of the numbers scheme was that the trailers were rentals.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Sadly, when I enter "Airstream Park", or the name of a specific Airstream Park, in the search engine of the new WBAC website, no Airstream park appears. Airstream parks are a positive feature of the Airstream community and some are owned by WBAC units and the rest have a high percentage of owners who are members of the club.

Does the new modern club not have affection for the "old" Airstream parks?
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #76
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I think you can literally join any unit - you donít have to be local to it. Iím in the New England unit - love the people there and the vibe at rallies. I think if I ever moved, I would remain in the New England unit. The Blue Beret mag lists rallies and caravans all over the world. If Iím not mistaken, being a member of the club in any unit means you can participate in a rally in any area. So join a Unit you resonate with and travel to your heartís content!

And someday when we retire, weíre really looking forward to a couple of caravans. Sounds like a great way to spend a few weeks on the road with new friends, seeing new places and learning new things. Rallies are fun, solo camping is fun, and I imagine caravans are fun too.

Happy camping!
Hi

Indeed you can join any unit and actually belong to multiple units (we do). You can also attend rallies put on by any unit without joining that unit.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , tx
I'm one of the new airstream owners "who cant think" (according to a post above) who has been touring for 15 years with the Ford Model A club nation wide. In that club there is a fear of the hobby dying and always talk of trying to bring in new younger members. The thing that always comes up is they need to make coloring books and that will bring younger members. (what?)

Airstreams are very trendy right now. They are photogenic and provide experiences. This is what the younger generation with money is looking for. Less young folks are buying large property to show their status, and investing in travel and that "picture perfect" lifestyle. This is what shows that you've made it now.

I think this re-design is a step in the right direction if the club is looking to add growth to their future. If growth is not an important factor for the WBCCI ... or WBCII... (sorry I can't think or remember the letters according to one poster above. I just remember Wally Byam) then stay the same.

I would like to tour with our trailer like we have with our antique car to both coasts and multiple national parks. We drive and move around. I looked at the schedule of an up coming "Caravan" and it said
1. listen to sales presentation about a hitch
2. have lunch
3. listen to a sales presentation about an oven
4. have a snack
5. listen to a sales presentation about a tongue lock.

Um... Where is the sense of adventure or the "photo op" with this kind of gathering. I hope this new club brings something fresh to the hobby and I would LOVE an original Wally Byum Caravan across the states, to a foreign country, multiple stops, talking to locals, experiencing new culture.

Perhaps new in this case is ok.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #78
Texas Traveler

2017 26' Flying Cloud
GEORGETOWN , Texas
Itís just a club, for goodness sake for the most part in 10 to 15 years there wonít be anybody around that was here today
Tom Steinhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #79
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Change is a good thing, just think if nothing ever changed what the world would be. I bet everyone has a Television, phone, computer, or cellular phone. Life is about remaining flexible. Flexibility keeps ďthingsĒ from breaking. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	351293
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
We bought our first Airstream 5 years ago and joined WBCCI immedistely as friends with an Airstream gave us several copies of the Blue Beret. I remember, as a kid, seeing Airstreams with the numbers. I put the numbers on our trailer because it was a part of the history of the club. I also understand that the numbers can be useful in large gatherings to identify friendsítrailers when walking around or for emergency notification and services.

That said, there are numerous ways to display the numbers without applying them to your trailer. A piece of plexi can be placed on the propane tank cover when at rallies, for example.

It is, however, your trailer and if you choose not to display the numbers it should be your choice. I would never, nor should anyone else, try to convince you otherwise. IIRC , the Blue Book may have gotten more flexible regarding display of numbers. I would hope the new ACI would examine the rules and eliminate any that do not directly contribute to the mission, that of enjoying traveling in our trailers. There should be rules concerning finances, risk management and other related subjects, but not dress and trailer aesthetics.

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote