Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
You know, I have been following this thread and have kind of a mixed opinion about the dress code issue. I am 45 and on the one hand I think the dress code for the business meetings is fine. I think that so often people loose the respect the older generation had for protocol, etiquette and manners. I wouldn't have a problem wearing a "uniform" for the meetings only. In fact when we camp, I wear Docker shorts...no jeans for me (well, most of the time)...and a polo style shirt or short sleeve camp shirt. I just believe in being presentable in public. Of course I will admit to being the clothes horse in the family.

On the other hand, I think that camping should be a relaxed, casual affair where you can get comfortable with yourself and enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow Airstreamers.

The problem is when you get too comfortable and look sloppy you are disrespectful to yourself and to others you may or may not know. I have seen so many people in campgrounds that look just ridiculously sloppy. Their bellies hanging over their pants and out from under too tight t-shirts and half worn out cut-off jeans...part of the landscape of America that I can do without!

So I feel dressing for the meetings and community meals is acceptable. Maybe not to the extent of wearing a tie, but certainly Dockers and a polo-style shirt wouldn't be too much to ask. Besides, it makes for a much nicer photo opp. I mean, we are all there in Airstreams that are pretty much in conformity, why not dress a with a little conformity?
I think how we dress is up to each person. I personally wear sweatpants or jeans to all WBCCI events, I am *not* a formal person.

It's the diversity of the people and the acceptance of diversity by our members that make my unit great. I wish the same for all other units.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #62
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
How dare you sit in judgement of anyones attire !!!! ---pieman
Isn't that what everyone else has done by complaining about the officers' dress code! Don't call this kettle black Mr. Frying Pan!

How dare YOU try to start an argument about what one wares or what one thinks or one who expresses his thoughts on the issue on this thread when everyone else has done just that.

As for me sitting in judgment. I assure you that everyone does exactly that when they see the proverbial plumber bent over with his crack exposed. He/she may not say anything, but they think it. And don't lie to yourself or us and say you don't. You also think the same when you see someone in a too tight t-shirt with their gut hanging out from underneath.

I am one of those who is a little to portly to look "presentable" in public to wear a t-shirt so I don't wear one or jeans except to work in the yard or when hiking or primitive camping. When I Airstream, I make myself presentable. If you choose not to, that is your business, just don't be surprised to find out that people think poorly behind your back if you are a little too old or a little too round in the middle to look "presentable" if you do. If that doesn't bother you, fine, that's your business.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #63
Craftsman

I think the way people dress says a lot about their personality and the way they feel about themselves and the world around them. People make judgments about you the minute they see you, right or wrong. It's in our genes and probably at one time had a lot to do with survival where a split second assesment may have meant the difference between eaten or being ate.When I worked for Land Rover one thing that was taught the sales people was not to qualify people who walked into the dealership by they way they looked. There were people buying $60,000.00 Range Rovers in t-shirts jeans and tennis-shoes, cash, and it wasn't drug money.The owner of the Delaware dealership was a millionare many times over but if you didn't know him when he walked up to you you might think he was going to ask you for a quarter. The rules have changed and today it's difficult if not impossable to get a handle on people by the way they dress.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Isn't that what everyone else has done by complaining about the officers' dress code! Don't call this kettle black Mr. Frying Pan!

How dare YOU try to start an argument about what one wares or what one thinks or one who expresses his thoughts on the issue on this thread when everyone else has done just that.

As for me sitting in judgment. I assure you that everyone does exactly that when they see the proverbial plumber bent over with his crack exposed. He/she may not say anything, but they think it. And don't lie to yourself or us and say you don't. You also think the same when you see someone in a too tight t-shirt with their gut hanging out from underneath.

I am one of those who is a little to portly to look "presentable" in public to wear a t-shirt so I don't wear one or jeans except to work in the yard or when hiking or primitive camping. When I Airstream, I make myself presentable. If you choose not to, that is your business, just don't be surprised to find out that people think poorly behind your back if you are a little too old or a little too round in the middle to look "presentable" if you do. If that doesn't bother you, fine, that's your business.
May I remind you that it was you who started this discussion by pointing out what was presentable and what was not. My responce was not then nor now a criticism of your attire. Had you said your preference or what you feel most comfortable in was as you discribed that would have been fine. It's the attitude that your taste should be the acceptable standard for others that brings out the ire. Of course I have opinions as do others, but my responce is to what you said, not what you thought. ------pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #65
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
May I remind you that it was you who started this discussion by pointing out what was presentable and what was not. My responce was not then nor now a criticism of your attire. Had you said your preference or what you feel most comfortable in was as you discribed that would have been fine. It's the attitude that your taste should be the acceptable standard for others that brings out the ire. Of course I have opinions as do others, but my responce is to what you said, not what you thought. ------pieman
Obviously I hit a nerve with some folks as to their attire. If so, I apologize. It was not my opinion of what is presentable, but what historically was considered presentable or appropriate. Just look at photos from the past and I think you will see what I mean. I think it is just a matter of being raised differently...not better or worse, just differently. As Craftsman said, the way we dress says a lot about the way we feel about ourselves and the world around us. I feel good about myself and my surroundings so I like to look good. Call it vanity if you will, I call it self respect and respect for others. I also think a lot has to do with manners and being raised in the south. Maybe you were raised in the south also, I don't know, but the part of the south where I was raised, we did want to look our best and act our best. We were brought up to say yes, mam/sir and no, m'am/sir and thank you and please. I know we southerners don't hold a monopoly on manners but I do think we have held on to them just a little longer than some other parts of the country, but alas, if you look around, you will see that slipping all too much here too.

So if I have offended, please accept my apology.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote