Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
On the fence

I just finished looking over three pages of WBCCI threads and one thought came to mind.

Who here is on the fence about joining the WBCCI and why ?

I am most interested in the why part. This includes current members who might not want to re-up. Please chime in.

I am interested in hearing your answers.

I have my own opinion about the subject but, I want to hear the views of others.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Reasons to join

Join if: you have the time to use the benifits the club offers.(Rallies, Caravans, contacts) Joint if: the local unit population matches your own age group and what you want to do. Join if: you like social interaction. Join if your wife is of like mind.

Do not join: if you really do not use your Airstream very much. Do not join: if the people in your local unit are not friendly or are inactive and just sit around and eat. Don't join if: you are an just an observer and want everything done for you. Don't join if: You will be the only family in the group within 20 years of your age.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Join if: the local unit population matches your own age group and what you want to do.
The Oregon Unit would love to have you onboard, Chris. Right now the unit's age demographic is skewing a little on the well-past-retirement side. But they're a friendly bunch, and all eager to see young folks get involved and change things for the better (by young I mean anyone from retirement age or younger). Frankly, they've been running the club for years, many of them are getting to the age where health is keeping them from travelling as much, or they're just burnt out. I think all the active members have already been president, and they don't want to do it again - but they will if they have to. I've never seen such a devoted group of people. They've spent their whole life in the club, and they love it and the fellowship they've enjoyed in it. They all seem to be willing to do whatever it takes to keep it going.

I'm in the club, Janet's in the club, and OreExcella. There's several other retirement age or close to it clouples. If we can get you and campcollector on board, hopefully we can start organizing more youth oriented activities and bring the other folks on board who only show up for forum rallys now. The existing group has already made the effort to plan almost all the rallys this year at state parks (no parking-lot campgrounds), because that's what the younger people in the club asked for.

I think we're at a turning point. Either we're going to get more people our age involved, or the unit will slowly dissolve. It's the same battle they're having all over the country. A few units have really turned it around - NV, CO, TX, New England, SC, WA-DC, and a few others I'm missing. They've figured out the right combinations to invigorate their units and bring people together to camp and have fun. That's all it's really all about.

So feel free to speak up and let us know what you're thinking. If there's problems, the unit wants to know about it, and I'll be glad to pass it along to them. This is stuff they need to know. Why aren't people joining? Is there anything the unit can do better to make it more attractive?

A lot of people say they don't have time to get involved and work to help change an existing unit. I'm willing to do that. So, let me know what's on your mind.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Well said Stephanie!

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Soap box on:

Is the OR Unit of the WBCCI for you? Don't know - maybe not... It is populated by retirees but.. they are a forward looking bunch and trying to make changes to attract a younger crowd. Here's the rub: they don't really know how to do that. They need input from that younger crowd and have actively solicited it. But... they are much more inclined to listen to those who have demonstrated real interest in the WBCCI - BY JOINING! Meet them halfway.

The only truly effective way to find and add value to an organization is from within. Join - you will become an organization leader in a few years - and then someone younger will be asking the same questions you are asking now. Remember that when you are in charge; change comes hard.

Other reasons to join:
1. I did.
2. Stef did.
2.5 OreExcella did.
3. We could stage a coup!
4. If the OR unit dies, we will have to start a new .org. Too much work! They already did it - let's just massage it a little.
5. If the WBCCI dies - what the heck would we rant about on the forums?
6. I'm performing at the Pendleton round-up rally! Members only - free!
7. If you join, Stef will send you a nifty newsletter!
8. The people are cool - even the old-timers. Their expectations are a little different, but they are still cool. I'd be happy to be camping at 85 and so are they.
9. The guy who designed your trailer started the club! - join!

Soap box off.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Stephanie and Janet,

I love both of your ideas about the club. If more people would take the bull by the horns as you two have WBCCI or AOAI would grow and things would change. I know change is hard but if we follow in your footsteps good things will happen . Just my thoughts.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Stefanie and Janet,

I believe what you are trying to do with the Oregon Unit is the future of the club if it is to survive.It is very important that some of the longer term members of your unit are open to new ideas.I feel the forward thinking units are the ones that will survive and help rebuild the club going forward.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Who here is on the fence about joining the WBCCI and why ?

I am most interested in the why part. This includes current members who might not want to re-up. Please chime in.

Chris
I wonder too at Chris' question and inquiry.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
If you are on the fence because of all the negative talk ie. too old and don't understand younger airstreamers, anti-vintage, kids, pets, etc......your club will be what you make it. You are lucky to live so close to the Oregon Unit. From everything we hear, and those that were at Newport, seem like great people. They want to change in order to survive. The club will be what you make it.

Three cheers for the New England Unit which are a group of fun loving rebels ready to camp/party at the drop of the hat. Kids, pets, vintage trailers, motorbikes, etc...all are welcome. A great deal of them are also on this forum.

Can't wait to camp with them this summer.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Long off the fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Who here is on the fence about joining the WBCCI and why? I am most interested in the why part. This includes current members who might not want to re-up. Please chime in. Chris
Hi Chris:

I fell off the fence into Wallyland in 1999 after buying my first Airstream and have not considered climbing back onto it. I have re-upped my WBCCI memberships every year since. The chiming reasons why include meeting Airstreams buddies and friends throughout the year to socialize, sip beer, talk trailer, go camping and get outdoors. My Denver Unit, WBCCI & VAC memberships are worth far more to me than the small annual dues. Joining has put me in touch and placed me face-to-face with far more Airstreamers than I ever would have met or found on my own through the Forums or otherwise. Through involvement over time, a foreign concept to please-me-now self-absorbed individuals, many like minded Denver Unit members have created and run WBCCI and VAC events to our liking, which in turn have attracted even more other like-minded fun lovers. Sure it takes work and effort, but the rewards are manifold.

If you are looking for negative answers, you'll find plenty of them if that's your focus. But don't let all the cyber griping keep you from trying the WBCCI for a year or two, especially with the good head start of an active local unit in Oregon. It may, or may not, turn out to be your cup of tea, but at least sip the experience. That's my two rivets.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
a foreign concept to please-me-now self-absorbed individuals,
Fred, I wonder if you could be more specific at to whom you are referring by this statement? Or explain it better... It surely seems that it could be interpreted as an incredabily inflamitory statement. and certainly not one that is deserved in this thread or on these forums...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #12
_

. , .
how about quoting the full sentence....
so as to include the context?
it's pretty obvious; the meaning is clear..

"Through involvement over time, a foreign concept to please-me-now self-absorbed individuals, many like minded Denver Unit members have created and run WBCCI and VAC events to our liking, which in turn have attracted even more other like-minded fun lovers. Sure it takes work and effort, but the rewards are manifold. "

clubs can provide what the members want....
if the members want to work from within the club.....

c johnson......

tried to join wb at age 25....but my new a/c moho wasn't allowed in yet.....

25+ years later....that's all changed....

i'm a member at large now and have zero need for the local group...
which needs lots of help, as many do....

just join.....
try some local events...
and try some events while traveling near the "cool" local units...

i have met folks who joined just to go on ONE caravan.....
others to gain access to the emergency med services while traveling...
others who wanted to attend the international rally.
others because their new airstream friends were in the club...
others to get more info on the a/s parks and co-ops.

and others still,
who join....
looking to be entertained....
who aren't.....
who quit.

try a year, local or at large, check it out from inside and decide.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Fred, I wonder if you could be more specific at to whom you are referring by this statement? Or explain it better... It surely seems that it could be interpreted as an incredabily inflamitory statement. and certainly not one that is deserved in this thread or on these forums...
You can lower you hand, Buttercup, I did not have you in mind. I was referring generally to those other people who believe the WBCCI, and probably the world, why not??, should be designed to serve and suit their unarticulated personal desires and whims without any effort or involvement whatsoever on their part. I consider that attitude a sign of please-me-now self-absorbment and my description of such an attitude to be factual. If you find it inflamatory, then that's your interpretation to which you are entitled: who am I to argue? I did not intend it to be inflamatory, only descriptive of my opinion of some people who diss the WBCCI for not effortlessly giving them what they want. I am not trying to start an argument, only warn Chris to be aware of an underlying life attitude of some of those who complain loudest about the WBCCI's alleged lameness, not about its prospective new name, which is not the topic of this thread. Now, back to that fence ....
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Peace

my hand was up in a peace sign, I agree that it takes work (and that's why my wife and I are getting involved and helping to create programs for the members of our unit to enjoy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
You can lower you hand, Buttercup, I did not have you in mind. I was referring generally to those other people who believe the WBCCI, and probably the world, why not??, should be designed to serve and suit their unarticulated personal desires and whims without any effort or involvement whatsoever on their part. I consider that attitude a sign of please-me-now self-absorbment and my description of such an attitude to be factual. If you find it inflamatory, then that's your interpretation to which you are entitled: who am I to argue? I did not intend it to be inflamatory, only descriptive of my opinion of some people who diss the WBCCI for not effortlessly giving them what they want. I am not trying to start an argument, only warn Chris to be aware of an underlying life attitude of some of those who complain loudest about the WBCCI's alleged lameness, not about its prospective new name, which is not the topic of this thread. Now, back to that fence ....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #15
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Please don't take a fence...

Well I'm on the fence because sometimes groups can get a little demanding, like this nice women's club I was in (photo attached) was really rigid about rules of order though they had some fun aerobic fund raisers (photos) the forum rallies just sound less structured...
Seriously, the forum get togethers sound like more fun, and we're a family so if kids aren't welcome we'll just save that membership fee for gas and go camping with kindred spirits we meet along the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hellgr2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	18398   Click image for larger version

Name:	hellgr1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	18399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hells_grannies2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	18400  
Old 02-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Thanks for the replies. They are all great.

Anyone else want to chime in here ?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:32 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Politics aside....

It is interesting to read this thread......
With any democratic group or association there is a diverse range of views held by the members. That is certainly represented here. I see it as a good sign. Differences should be embraced......
It would be a sorry group of people who met to express my views exclusively; who would I engage in conversation with?
Debate is a sure sign of a healthy democracy....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I agree

about diversity , tolerance and debate, democracy. But from my reading of this thread, not a single responder would be considered (mo) from the "on the fence" group that was to be sampled.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, I encourage those people to speak up as well. But specifically, I encourage Chris to speak up, because he lives in our Unit's area, and we know him from several forum rallys and he's a good guy, and exactly the kind of person I want to go camping with

I know there are lots of people out there who have had cold receptions from their local units, or were told to take their noisy kids elsewhere, but as 3Ms75Argosy can attest, our unit is not like that (not that their girls are noisy - they're delightful actually). Some units are so dried up they're on the verge of dissapearing, but ours is still healthy and active. So I think really a lot of problems are unit specific. And if there's something about our unit that is keeping Chris out (or anybody in the NW who's thinking about joining the WBCCI), I'd like to know about it, and see what we can do to make it right.

People are always complaining that the people who run the club are unreachable. I'm a direct line to the unit, and they're out here saying 'tell us what's stopping you'! I don't even have to tell them who said it, it can be completely anonymous. Just say the words!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
HI Stef, Thanks for the compliments ! I just wanted to say that it is not the Oregon unit that is making me waiver. Everyone who I have met from the O unit is hella cool . Can I say that at 39 ? lol.

What makes me take pause on joining is that it seems like the club nationally is turning a blind eye to attracting and keeping younger members. The name change thing makes me roll my eyes in disbelief. I don't like the new name on the table. But I also think that WBCCI name is just as obscure. I get asked a lot about the red numbers on my trailer. No matter what the name is, the people in the club will still be the same, unless a new name somehow changes their attitudes ? No matter what the name is, it will still have a set of questions people will ask to go with it.

I feel that change has to come from within and from the bottom up. Meaning if enough people get active in changing things they will eventually turn in that direction. So I will eventually join up and hopefully, in time, make a small difference. I have been a member of different clubs in the past and I know the benefits of the friendships and camaraderie that they have within. I would like to join so be patient with me . I will try the club out when it becomes financially possible for me to participate in the events and to pay the dues.

I spent money like a drunken sailor last summer . I have to watch my budget this year and things like a membership in a club, international rallies have to wait. There is quite possibly going to be a move in my future this year as well. These aren't excuses, just facts of life. So for right now it is the forum rallies or bust ! BTW, this forum group rocks !!

The reason I started this thread was I wanted to see how many other people were wondering about joining and having second thoughts or did join and wondering if they should stay. I still welcome any comments that anyone has on the subject.

I have made up my mind on the course of action that I am taking.

Chris