Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #41
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
I think there is an active unit around Couer d'Elene but I guess that would still be 2-3 hours away right?
Uberlanders thats still alot better than 5 to 6 hours, and InsideOut you make a very good point about friendships that are made and will also last for a lifetime. I think I will reconsider my thoughts on this, I really would like to meet some of you at a rallie or where ever, it sure would be fun. I bought this trailer to be my home for awhile, and also after finding this forum thought it would be alot of fun to do the get togethers that all of you do. thank you for your kind posts and maybe I will meet you all this summer, Thanks Again..
Old 03-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
There's the club and then there's the people. People are usually great everywhere, that's almost a given. The current conflict is over the name, history, and continuing recognition of the club name. Leaders are usually out of touch with members in far too many organizations. Why should this one be any different?

Skip the leaders, have fun with the people. With a '77 and a '67 rig you guys might have a lot more interest in the past of the club and the trailers. The VAC interclub newsletter has produced some really nice newsletters. Many of them are for free at airstream.net.

Some have said that the extra $20 on top of the general membership and on top of the unit dues is excessive, but hey, somebodies got to pay for all those leaders to drive cross country a couple of times a year. So while it would be neat to just join the VAC at $20 a year, the mothership isn't going to let you get away with it. They need your money BAD!

I'd say make your first venture a forums rally if you've got one near you. You'll start an interesting topic post dinner and find out half belong, half don't. It will make for an interesting evening discussion!

__
65GT,

Although you cannot join the VAC without being a member of WBCCI, you can subscribe to the Vintage Advantage for the same $20 per year. http://www.airstream.net/subscription.html

But, for those of you who think that $20 is too much for the newsletter, it is available for free on line with some lag.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
I think I will reconsider my thoughts on this, I really would like to meet some of you at a rallie or where ever, it sure would be fun. I bought this trailer to be my home for awhile, and also after finding this forum thought it would be alot of fun to do the get togethers that all of you do. thank you for your kind posts and maybe I will meet you all this summer, Thanks Again..
Why not make the RMVAC Rally a destination this August...we're not too far form Montana...well. at least east-to-west!

Love to have you join us...check out the link below ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #44
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
InsideOut I'm going to give that some major heavy thought, that look's and sounds like a real good fun time. I checked the distance and it is only 1132 miles about 19 HRS Yep going to give this some real thought. I think the Sturgis Bike Rally is The Following weekend so I could leave from CO to the Black Hills, that would be a fun road trip.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #45

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We did a big road trip and hit the RMVAC Rally two years ago - it was worth it! That was really a fun rally, and so many trailers I'm sure I didn't see them all. I highly recommend it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
... that would be a fun road trip.
I thnik so too! I'd love to go to Sturgis "that" time of the year sometime, it's beutiful, but add all the bikes....oh my! Hope you decide to join us ~

And Steph, you know I'll be up your way for International...hope to hook-up, even if it's just for a forum happy hour get-together or something! But I'm still hoping you decide to come to Intn'l...it'll be sooo close!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 03-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
I can't join yet because I haven't bought my Airstream.

I had never considered NOT joining, until reading these posts.

My parents fulltimed for over 20 years in a 27' and then a 29' and belonged from day one. I don't remember there ever being a question about renewing. Of course, the dues weren't $70. and at the time their '72 was a new trailer instead of vintage. They went on two, maybe three caravans in the entire 20 years.

I'll be a 60yr old fulltimer with a 15 to 20 year old 34' Classic. I've got it narrowed down to two and we're dickering prices.

But from what I've seen, all the fellowship is extended to anybody, anytime, any place as long as they arrive in a silver tube. So I'm going to have to look at CLUB advantages before I plunk down my money.

But I ain't wearing no stinkin' Beret

Tom
tomcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #48
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
I'm on the fence because I don't know enough about it - WBCCI - yet. I don't even know enough about my Caravel to ask any sort of intelligent questions. I am still gathering information, anything and everything, mostly right here on these forum pages.

My learnings about WBCCI so far:

We live in Flagstaff AZ so I looked into the The WBCCI, Arizona Unit online. It made their March 2006 newsletter available online so I downloaded it for an inside look. That's where I first learned about the name change issue. I was quite surprised that the removal of the name Wally Byam is being considered. (By the way the presentation of the name change motion in the newsletter really did not convey enough info. One might be able to include more details even with the limited space a newsletter allows, it seems.) This is reason number one that makes me hesitant to join the local unit. I appriciated what Wally did and at age 37, I would hope to see half of what he dusted off his rig when I bid farewell.

Next, considering the past and future locations of the club rallies listed in the newsletter: Blythe CA in the immediate past, Turquoise Valley Golf, Restaurant and RV Park in March, Lake Pleasant in April. Just not my kind of destinations. I would really love to caravan into the Grand Canyon, the North Rim, Canyon De Chelly, the Monument Valley, or other breath-taking vistas in the southern part of the state. So for the trips I want to take my family with, it looks like we'll have to wait for chance to meet other Airstreamers, local unit or not. Maybe that's going to be my way of meeting you guys.

Bear in mind I have not met any local unit members; the only first impression I could gather is from the newsletter about them and their passion. Maybe one glimpse is too little to determine. I am sure the folks are great, at least in the newsletter the biggest picture shows the unit members rallying in Blythe eating happily together. But I seem to feel that my cravings are a little different. Like Safari64 eluded to in post #27 of this thread, bears and eagles and streams.

Ricky
roamingwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #49
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
roamingwesty,
I feel the same as you. I did have one encounter with the local club, it was not good . The list of rallys are same every year. You have read the newsletter, from what I can tell the name change issue is not going to be decided by the members of the unit, but soley by the current unit president. I am with you are the fence. If I was in some of the other areas where the units are more outgoing, I would join in a heartbeat.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #50
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Interesting view from up here on the fence.

I've been an avid reader about the name change controversy, and I've learned a lot here about what the WBCCI is and what WBCII members do.

When I got the Airstream last year, two of my neighbors asked me if I was going to put the "big red numbers" on it and "join the club." That's when I started looking into it. I'm 47, single, and work for a software company with one of those "all the time" (voluntary) work ethics, and I can't and don't want to go caravanning.

I am willing to break my vacation up into three to four day blocks to go visiting with other Airstream owners, and my boss is tolerant enough to go along with it, even though it puts pressure on everyone else. They may even PREFER that I take my vacation in big blocks, but I wouldn't like that myself. I like to know what's going on, so I tend to "check in" when I'm on vacation, and it ends up just like I'm working.

"Airstream Owner's Association" sounds like a club that would appeal to me. Hey, I have one! What's the benefits? What's it cost? Are there people like me in the club?

"Wally Byam Caravan Club international" does not sound like a club that appeals to me. I only meet one requirement - I have an Airstream - but I like the notion that the club has a grand history and actually came from something cool.

Somewhere below I read "initiation ceremory," and I think that dented the idea for me - that, and reading a bunch of flag rules.

This does not appear to be about camping, celebrating Airstream ownership, and having a good time. It appears to be about geriatric WW II era psuedo-military organization and love of pompt and circumstance. It's literally a carannning club. Although there are some glowing lights within the organization, like the VAC and the Oregon unit, I haven't figured exactly where such as me would fit in all in all this.

So I remain on the fence.

Lamar

PS - As I was working outside today, a young fellow walked over and said, "Nice Airstream." I said, "Thank you. It's an old one." He said, "I hear they last a long time. They're made by hand, aren't they?" And thus began a conversation. I think I witnessed the ignition of aluminum lust.
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #51
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
roamingwesty,
I feel the same as you. I did have one encounter with the local club, it was not good . The list of rallys are same every year. You have read the newsletter, from what I can tell the name change issue is not going to be decided by the members of the unit, but soley by the current unit president. I am with you are the fence. If I was in some of the other areas where the units are more outgoing, I would join in a heartbeat.
That's probably what we'll have to do, AZflycaster. When you are ready for a trip, post it and maybe we can do a AZ forum member rally, or even a 4Corner forum member rally/campout some time somewhere down the road? Hope to meet you one day. I always thought flyfishing is artful. My kids would dig it too, if you cared to show us the lines.

Back to the issue.. The number and flag thing, the ceremonies, as safeharbor mentioned just above: I'm guessing that these may be issues independant from the name change, and these rules may remain effective with any newly adopted name? I don't know enough to remark on it really.

Regarding the ownership being an requirement to join: I tend to look at it as if one's trying to register a pedigreed k9 with the AKC. Luckily the Airstream tradition honors individuality and customizing. Personal preference here: we have a mutt from the Rez and he's well recognized by us, plus he's mighty happy. He is not busy learning how to call AKC.

Ricky
Old 03-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
SafeHarbor & roamingwesty

Not to be a continuous self promoter here...but, both of you are vintage owners and I would encourage you to look into hooking up with the VAC.

You may want to look to your neighboring Units for some alternate Units to participate with. For example, Region 11 (including AZ) plans a big RMVAC rally every August and a lot of the attendees are from the 4-corners area and all over the country. I, as well as several members here on the forum, mostly from the Denver Unit plan this rally each year to attract vintage ethusiaists who like to get together and hang out. Just based on simple demographics, the AZ Unit is going to have a high percentage of retired folks, as does AZ in general, check us out.

I have also met several folks from the Mystic Springs Unit near Pensecola of the WBCCI that own vintage trailers and they also have a great VAC Group...Herb Spies (forum member) is the current President of the Unit and 3rd VP of the VAC. He has a beautiful '63 GlobeTrotter and I'm sure they would welcome you to come check them out just as we would.

The bottomline is, be your own judge...at least attend one event then decide.

Shari

Old 03-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Hi Shari;

I just finished looking at your photos of "Maxwell." It looks great.

Question were you and Rob at the Region 11 Rally this past October located at Casa Grande, AZ. Your trailer looks familiar. The lady I was talking to who owned the trailer had her father at the rally. I'm not sure if that was you and Rob.
Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ricky, AZFlycaster, Lamar,

You guys know that as members or WBCCI, you can pick and choose any rallies you want to attend from any Region or Unit. Right?

For example, the nearby NM Unit had a wonderful, boondocking excursion last June to Lee's Ferry and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Three of us went from there to Monument Valley. You'll find my descriptions of all these locations under Campgrounds. This year, we will boondock during July in the Uncompaghre National Forest near Telluride. (Email "Airstream25" on this forum for details)

As Shari already mentioned, the Denver Colorado Unit is a great unit with some super rallies. Last year's Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club (RMVAC) at Garden of the Gods, CO was one of the best rallies my wife and I have ever attended. This year's RMVAC Rally at Creede, CO promises to be even more scenic and just as much fun.

If you are like me and have an aversion to blazers, berets, meaningless ceremonies and the self-important organizational hierarchy of the WBCCI, just participate at the Unit level and stay away from Regional and International events.

Pick and choose, and participate at the level you enjoy. We are regular members of the NM Unit and the Vintage Airstream Club with affiliate memberships with the Denver Colorado Unit and the Colorado West Unit. That gives us plenty from which to choose.

Ken
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M
Hi Shari;

I just finished looking at your photos of "Maxwell." It looks great.

Question were you and Rob at the Region 11 Rally this past October located at Casa Grande, AZ. Your trailer looks familiar. The lady I was talking to who owned the trailer had her father at the rally. I'm not sure if that was you and Rob.
Yep, I was there, although Rob stayed home that trip. My sister & nephew (from CA) were with me most of that week and my mom & dad (from AZ) did visit us one day....we must have met!

Shari

Old 03-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #56
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
... both of you are vintage owners and I would encourage you to look into hooking up with the VAC.
Thanks Shari, I am already a subscriber to the VAList on the digest mode. Bookmarked the VAC homepage too, the day I brought my Caravel home. I'm very thankful for the free flow of information. Big thanks to whomever that made it possible!

Quote:
You may want to look to your neighboring Units for some alternate Units to participate with. For example, Region 11 (including AZ) plans a big RMVAC rally every August and a lot of the attendees are from the 4-corners area and all over the country. I, as well as several members here on the forum, mostly from the Denver Unit plan this rally each year to attract vintage ethusiaists who like to get together and hang out.
I think our family just may show up for this event! Could we, without any bookings or reservations?

Quote:
Just based on simple demographics, the AZ Unit is going to have a high percentage of retired folks, as does AZ in general, check us out.
What would Wally do..

Quote:
I have also met several folks ... and I'm sure they would welcome you to come check them out just as we would.

The bottomline is, be your own judge...at least attend one event then decide.

Shari
That is very true, Shari. Just like the recipes, without actually experiencing the food and the making it's just ingredients in print. If we do end up there I will bring my best to share. Thanks for the invite. By the way Maxwell looks stunning.

Ricky

p.s. Thanks ken for the tips. I was not aware of one's choices and possibilities before I got into this thread. It's very clear now.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #57
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I did have one encounter with the local club, it was not good ..
hey az......wasn't that because they thought you were trying to hijack some units?

roamingwestie, safeharbor, az' and others.....

the pomp is for the really big events....
the monthly luncheons get folks out of the nursing home for a half day during the off season...
just skip these things...

the clubs main focus historically was caravanning and stories like the one in national geographic are cool to look at....and it's neat to know you are part of that romantic travel legacy....

but, most under 60 realize the club needs to morph....away from this historic principle function and the pomp...

short rallies, weekenders, active adventure tours and so on are the NOW.

need a new name and focus if the basecamper demographic is gonna join.

my imagination tells me that after the name change to aoa.....

a subgroup like vac will appear for the wbcc members who still want this stuff...or wanna worship wally.

i'm not sure the teen queen show will survive....regardless.

membership cost isn't that great and the numbers is cool......

get some.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	see my numbers.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	19220  
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #58
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

the pomp is for the really big events....
the monthly luncheons get folks out of the nursing home for a half day during the off season...
just skip these things...

cheers
2air'
At first I just really enjoyed your humor 2air, but now it is getting really scary!! I find myself saying, "geez, he makes a lot of sense"!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingwesty
I think our family just may show up for this event! Could we, without any bookings or reservations?
This rally (RMVAC) had 73 trailers last year, this year there are only 60 spots available...it will sell out. If you want to attend I would suggest sending in your reservation asap.

Shari

Old 03-12-2006, 08:10 PM   #60
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Gee, there really IS a generation gap. "... mail check for $70 to WBCCI, 803 E. Pike Street, Jackson Center, OH 45334."

MAIL A CHECK? I haven't mailed a check for anything in the last two or three years. I'm not even sure where my checkbook IS.

Yeah, I'm going to try this out. (I wonder if they accept Paypal?)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote