Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Should the WBCCI Name be changed?
Yes, Change it! 38 34.86%
No, Leave it alone! 71 65.14%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I have a 25 ft Caravanner,Does this mean I must change the name on my Airstream
Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 PM   #42
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
I voted yes Change the name.

To those of you who say no where were you early this year when this subject came up.If you did a search on this topic you will find that most poeple were in favor of the name change and now it seems that most people are against it. IT is going to change so we all need to get ready for a new name . I know that Wally is a Saint but he did invent the "AIRSTREAM" and I am sure he would be proud that it will be in the new name of the club.Just my two cents.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 PM   #43

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
40 for, 60 against. It's turning out closer than I thought it would.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
40 for, 60 against. It's turning out closer than I thought it would.

Stef
Your pole is missleading.

Change the name insinuates that WBCCI is being totally dropped - when that may not be the case.

The whole issue from what I read into it is exactly what the Survey Question was:

"The name of WBCCI should include the Airstream name" survey said "yes" based on the five levels of response (Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, Strongly Disagree and No opinon)

There are many here that want the word Airstream associated with the Club name - but just as strongly want to keep the club name as it is - thus adding the Airstream to the existing name.
This group of people are the ones that will make this club survive!

Those who look forward to the future but embrace that past as their foundation of strenght......

Also you pole - should have offered ( ) neither! or combined name.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Selking
I voted yes Change the name.

To those of you who say no where were you early this year when this subject came up.If you did a search on this topic you will find that most poeple were in favor of the name change and now it seems that most people are against it. IT is going to change so we all need to get ready for a new name . I know that Wally is a Saint but he did invent the "AIRSTREAM" and I am sure he would be proud that it will be in the new name of the club.Just my two cents.
I do not understand how it can be said that it WILL change. It is not a slam dunk. This will take an amendment to the bylaws to accomplish. It is not a done deal. Unless, of course, it is done in the same manner that was used to start this in the first place. It is obvious that the use of a delegate system to represent the membership of WBCCI actually doesn’t. That method is dependant on every unit’s ability to send representatives for a vote which clearly can not be done.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:25 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
no. WBCCI 5502
A picture of me at a WBCCI Ralley at Pyramid Lake, North of Reno, Nevada
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05nvpyramidlakeNV1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	17184  
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #47
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
I do not understand how it can be said that it WILL change. It is not a slam dunk. This will take an amendment to the bylaws to accomplish. It is not a done deal. Unless, of course, it is done in the same manner that was used to start this in the first place. It is obvious that the use of a delegate system to represent the membership of WBCCI actually doesn’t. That method is dependant on every unit’s ability to send representatives for a vote which clearly can not be done.
Buttercup, I posted to the other thread some comments, but since I am no longer a WBCCI member (and didn't vote on this poll), to me worring about the name of WBCCI is like worrying about changing the name of the Titanic. Makes no difference at this point.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:27 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal me
no. WBCCI 5502
A picture of me at a WBCCI Ralley at Pyramid Lake, North of Reno, Nevada
HI, Anita
We missed you at the Beverly Beach Rally......May catch up to you at Silver Falls State Park some day!

JIm & Cheryl

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
1.Buy up WBCCI memorabilia
2.Change organization name
3.E-Bay Profit$
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:19 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

New WBCCI Name

I think the name change should be Wally Byam Airstream Club. I agree with Shari. It is really more fitting.

Lee Pace
WBCCI 7287
69 Overlander
72 Tradewind
Greenville, Texas
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #51
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Change it!

It's time for a change.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:07 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
I vote NO!The day Harley-Davidson changes their name, maybe I will consider a new name.Ernie'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Question Change is good...

but only to clarify a deficency. "Airstream" needs to be in the name somewhere. Someone pointed out that the European name for a trailer is a "caravan". Does anyone really know why the club was named what it was originally? Did it have something to do with that caravan/trailer term? Could it be that "caravan club" sounded better than "trailer club"?

Inquiring minds want to know..... but not til after the holidays..

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Silver67;

It was I who made a note that the word Carvan might have evolved from the European term for a trailer. As Wally was from Europe and where the WBCCI was founded was in Nova Scotia on a Caravan- also a very European influenced area.

I come from England and have always refered to trailers as caravans. If someone asked me where I was going when I was headed off to a Rally I would say We're going "Caravaning" so to me it does not necesarily mean a month long ordeal - (or in 65GT's mind ADVENTURE). I think it has a dual meaning - which would have made sense back then.

Maybe the Genealogy Intra-Club can shed some light on your question of why Wally and his followers back then decided on that name would be interesting.

Long live the Caravans - be they long or short in duration. Be they silver or painted ladies, self powered, self contained or blue buggy assisted. Be they Classy A's, or innovative "base camps" cause they all GOT "Curves".

Now if Thor wants to get on the ball - paint them silver and ditch the corners

Why do we really need a name that says the Obvious

Yeh so I am camping somewhere and someone says wow I like your Airstream (hmm the fact that Airstream is on the trailer in pretty big letters! that would be an easy one) - So what do your big red numbers mean - hmmm they are our Membership Number for the "Aristream Club" - yeh now that really generates some interest "don't it"..

I quite enjoy telling the history behind the foundation - and any I have told have as well. Even those who like the newer ones say it is amazing they are still making them all these years.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi Silver67;

It was I who made a note that the word Carvan might have evolved from the European term for a trailer. As Wally was from Europe and where the WBCCI was founded was in Nova Scotia on a Caravan- also a very European influenced area....
GT6921,

Wally was from Idaho, Montana or maybe Oregon and lived in LA before and after WWII. He did go to Europe with Cornelius Vanderbuilt right after WWII however.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
GT6921,

Wally was from Idaho, Montana or maybe Oregon and lived in LA before and after WWII. He did go to Europe with Cornelius Vanderbuilt right after WWII however.

Bill
Sorry just assumed that the sheep they refered to put him in the Welsh Mountains

Also assumed: Name Byam

English: probably a habitational name from Bytham in Lincolnshire, so named with Old English bythme ‘valley bottom’ + hÇm ‘homestead’.

But if you say he is a US guy then so be it - the Caravan theory is out the window and referes to long long long silver trailers traveling in weird and wonderous places - with family and friends.

But I still want to get a mini bike and bull horn.

...but did I see you say "or maybe" - does that mean you don't know for sure either??

Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Also assumed: Name Byam
English: probably a habitational name from Bytham in Lincolnshire, so named with Old English bythme ‘valley bottom’ + hÇm ‘homestead’.
Here's another 'littledidyaknow' Byam, is not Wally's given last name, it was Davis.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:20 PM   #58

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
GT6921,

Bill
Pretty sure Wally was from Oregon. Seems to me there's a museum somewhere in the state with a display about him. If only I could remember where. I know I've heard folks talk about it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Olympia , Washington
R.B. Bernd, Chairman, Name Selection Committee, 1VP Region 10, WBCCI

The Board of Trustees voted unanimously to change the name and adopt a new logo. Regular members will have an opportunity to vote yes or no (or amend) through their units and unit delegate at the 2006 International Rally. You will learn to what and why in future editions of the Blue Beret.

I find it interesting to read "it's not the name that needs to be fixed - - it's a lot of other things", or words to that effect. How about elaborating on those "other things" to your unit, region and international officers so they can work on fixes.

I have suggested to our officers that they need to look at this Forum from time to time, so you may or may not be heard here. There are more appropriate and action oriented avenues, e.g., your unit and region officers.
rnzbernd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Olympia , Washington
Wally was raised in Baker City, OR. There is a small display devoted to him in the Baker City museum. The last time I visited there, the docent was totally unaware of the display. We are attempting to upgrade it before the Salem Rally in that it's REALLY outdated.

R.B.
rnzbernd is offline   Reply With Quote