Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

MAL's if you want your vote to count!

If you are a "MAL" and care one way or the other about the upcoming votes that will take place in the next couple months, you need to contact Star Grover about moving your membership over to the WDCU. After the voting, if you wish to go back to a "MAL" status that's fine! You can always move your membership back to being a MAL. I will say, you will save 14 bucks next year by staying with us. But that's your choice. Here's a link to our website.

Airstream club vintage trailer WDCU WBCCI region 2 Unit 170

In the WDCU, we cast the votes as they are cast at the unit level and let the chips fall as they may. We "DO NOT" cast all votes one way or the other when it comes to voting at International. This way it truly is "1M1V" in our unit. Hope to hear from ya soon! Plus, we just got our really cool "black flag, capital in white and Washington DC Unit in red" approved at the IBT. Thank You Barry our Region 2 Prez and Don the Region 1stVP for the help!!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
SaveWally supports this 100%.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
SaveWally supports this 100%.
What is SaveWally in terms of being able to provide an unqualified and total 'support'? If it is one person, shouldn't that person speak directly? If more than one person, shouldn't there be some established means with accountability to the larger community to stake out such a position so that larger community can know its value?

My understanding is that SaveWally is an advocacy website. A website is a communications media, not a voting entity. For true accountability, there needs to be transparency to the source of the message being conveyed.

If there is a membership and the assertion of support is to reflect that membership, then the demands of 'one member one vote' means that each member should knowing be entering into a relationship where they agree to be bound by certain rules about how their voice is to be represented. It does not mean for one or two people to undertake pretentions to convey with absolute authority the preferences of their subscriber list.

This does not even begin to get into the basic responsibilities of voter education - people fully understanding the issues involved and the implications of a decision.

People can join WBCCI as a MAL in order to avoid being involved in the politics much as people could subscribe to SaveWally just to be informed about politics.

This is why organizations incorporate or otherwise prepare rules of behavior and procedure. It is why they elect certain individuals to represent them. It is why unelected representation is not considered a good thing.

What Paul suggests is a way for someone who joined as MAL without realizing what that status was to be able to change their minds. If they want to become politically involved, that might be a good thing. But it has its hazards as well.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The new flag is really cool looking. Congrats to WDCU! And glad to hear your members vote on the issues. Let the vote numbers speak conclusively rather than the surveys.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Certifiable

. , .
I am a WBCCI member. I joined SaveWally today. I think what Paul suggests above is an excellent idea. A MAL could either vote for or against this Constitutional amendment. A MAL can now become more involved and vote. We should all have the opportunity to vote. I support Paul's suggestion 100%.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Mistral,
It is simply for this reason that Save Wally supports the WDCU and encourages (as we have done since our inception) that MAL's join the WCDU to have a voice and to be part of a progressive unit. Sure can be better than being alone...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
please excuse my ignorance but why does the wbcci have mals?. why not let every have a vote like the elections for government offices.have email posted about up comming elections and only wbcci members go to a secure site for members only and cast their vote.they have a big ralley to vote but there are quite a few that can't make it to the ralley.seems like only a select few go.that is the impression I get looking at the forum.sorry if I hurt anyones feelings about this subject , but this seems what I make out reading all the pros abd cons of the subject..
thanks
Bob Dickson
Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
please excuse my ignorance but why does the wbcci have mals?.
The Member at Large is known in other associations as an affiliate or associate member. This is someone who chooses to support the organization, perhaps gain some privileges of participation, but does not otherwise want to be involved in association governance.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
I'm all for letting MALs vote. Especially when it comes to their Constitution.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I can tell you Bob that most of the MALs are so because there is either a poorlly foormed unit or no unit near them that can properly serve them. And rather than join a poorly functioning unit or one that is troo far away, they elect to be a MAL.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Carrier Pigeon??

We looked into the carrier pigeon thing at one time, found were they cost a bunch of money and time to train. So, we are thinking about using members of congress as they travel to and from their home states. The problem we are with this is, they keep asking for donations, free lunches and golf outings! But, it's Washington, DC so we can of expected that response.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Will need your email

If you are a member of the WDCU or a MAL thinking of joining the WDCU, you need to make sure that our membership person has your email address. Most of our voting is done via email. It's quick and easy. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
Certifiable

. , .
How many units are there? (147?)
Does anyone know how each unit votes?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx for the heads up.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
I can tell you Bob that most of the MALs are so because there is either a poorlly foormed unit or no unit near them that can properly serve them. And rather than join a poorly functioning unit or one that is troo far away, they elect to be a MAL.
In addition to Buttercup's explanation...a MAL may not have enough information about WBCCi units to make an informed decision and does not want to commit without a reasonable chance of the right choice.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
In addition to Buttercup's explanation...a MAL may not have enough information about WBCCi units to make an informed decision and does not want to commit without a reasonable chance of the right choice.
That is why we started as MAL, did not know the purpose of a unit and too many in California to figure out which one to join. However, one rally, the 2003 VAC rally in Santa Maria, made our decision and we are pleased.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
It would be best IMHO if all MALS joined the nearest Unit to become a part of the voting process. If many Units opposed this it would be better.

As a former MAL I'd suggest that you current MALS check with your friends and see what they have to say about their Units. Seems like an easy way to find a fit.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
Certifiable

. , .
Redistricting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
It would be best IMHO if all MALS joined the nearest Unit to become a part of the voting process. If many Units opposed this it would be better.

As a former MAL I'd suggest that you current MALS check with your friends and see what they have to say about their Units. Seems like an easy way to find a fit.
Would they be better off if they joined the WDCU as opposed to a different unit? Would their vote be more meaningful regarding the proposed Constitutional amendment if they joined a 1M1V unit?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
1M1V units are the best way to guarentee that your vote counts. Units that throw the weight of the entire unit towards the majority only ensure that not all of its members have a say. While this may be advantageous for some positions, it is not fair to everyone.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #20
Certifiable

. , .
Which begs the question....

Do we know which units are 1M1V?