Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
MAL's

I am currently a unit member who is considering becoming a MAL (or WDCU member). I am trying to determine whether to become a MAL or just drop out of the WBCCI. The only benefit I can see to being a MAL is if I want to do any caravans or national rallies. I can't see any other benefits. Am I missing something. If I am not going to do caravans or national rallies, it seem like I would be wasting my money paying dues.

My question is for WBCCI members who are MAL's. (I'm NOT interested in hearing why I should try to make things work in a unit as I am pass that stage.)

So my question to MAL's is - Why do you stay in the WBCCI? What benefits do you see?

Thanks for your input.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
WDCU recommendation

We are fairly new Airstreamers and are members of WDCU for the following reasons.
1. We value membership in a club with history ... WBCCI.
2. WBCCI makes you an integral part of a very large community. We also are not interested in the Blue Beret nor organized caravans, but one must recognize that there are many good, friendly, helpful members in the organization. I started plotting courtesy parking offers on the east coast, and feel very comforted with this safety net.
3. Although we've not yet met another WDCU member in person, Paul, Star and others have welcomed us...we will meet down the road.
4. Membership in WDCU is less expensive each year than being a MAL, $56 vs. $70.
5. Last but not least, WDCU members can vote online.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, we had our low point somewhat over a year ago, but our feelings have changed. It's really important to be a member of a good unit in which you feel like family. (That's how we feel about our DenCo unit!) And it helped our attitude when, through whatever miracle, the four corners unit was approved.

Lynn
Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I've been a MAL then joined a unit that does not fit and am transferring to the FCU.

With the Four Corners Unit my dues will drop to $56.00 and I'll be able to take advantage of any rally that appeals to me. I've met some really neat WBCCI folks and on occasion i enjoy going on a rally with them.

To me $56.00 is cheap admission to the FCU who are warm and fun people and with access to the things the WBCCI provides that I like.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Ditto to what Goin Campin said -

But, we weren't MAL's as we didn't see the value in not being able to have a vote just to be members of WBCCI so when the 4CU was forming we realized that here was a group of people who really know how to have fun and we wanted to be a part of that.

I know there are other units as well who are very progressive, I just don't know which ones, but they are out there and worth asking about. We chose the one who were very communicative on the Forum about what they were attempting, and who as a group really focus on fun with their Airstreams and don't let the other crap get in the way.

Merry Christmas,
Barry
Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
What is MAL and WDCU?
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfiredog300
What is MAL and WDCU?
MAL means Member at large. A WBCCI MAL pays top price in dues and cannot vote on any topic be it leadership or changes to the constitution. All in all a pretty lousy deal.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
Got it, Thanks
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
WDCU = Washington DC Unit
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Arrow

We were MALs, but were upset that even though we paid the highest dues to the national organization, we didn't even get to vote. We joined the 4 Corners Unit, even though we live in the Florida Panhandle. Our vote now counts, and our dues are less. We stay in WBCCI so that we can attend any Airstream event that we choose.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird
...If I am not going to do caravans or national rallies, it seem like I would be wasting my money paying dues.

My question is for WBCCI members who are MAL's...
hi bluebird.

i'm a mal and shall remain so until the wb' gets its act together, or i need the cash for fuel.

the other potential benefits beyond what you've stated are...

-reduced fee for staying in the a/s land yacht parks, i think they still do this.

-some of the a/s parks sell lots/timeshares and wb' membership is required for this too.

-and in theory u can attend any wb unit rally, not just the national events.

in reality this (entry 2 unit/vac rallies) may not happen but it is supposed to.

-of course, mals continue to receive the monthly blue birdcage liner and an annual membership directory.

-the leadership still claims discounts are available in many rv parks (listed in the directory) but i've NEVER had the discount honored...

-courtesy parking is listed in the directory as offered by other members.

yes it's cheaper to join the 4cu or wdcu, but neither is the completely NATIONAL/global unit which the club needs.

unit #000 (mal) is still the largest membership segment, with the most new members every month and every year.

IF the club cannot figure out how to serve this segment, it is doomed to get smaller and less relevant for 'streamers...

telling us to 'just join the blah, blah unit' is ignoring the primary issue and shows NO forward vision, or desire to retain this revenue segment.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2air:

If you not taking advantage of any of the items you listed, why stay in the WBCCI? I'm questioning whether it's worth spending the $70. That's worth 4 years of Airstream Life.

I appreciate all the responses. Lot to think about.

2008 Classic 34
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird
2air:

If you not taking advantage of any of the items you listed, why stay in the WBCCI? I'm questioning whether it's worth spending the $70. That's worth 4 years of Airstream Life.

If you're not currently, or don't intend to take advantage of any of the club functions or benefits, then it's a no-brainer. Airstream Life is a great magazine.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
No vote -no money. We decided to spend the dues with the Tin Can Tourists and on Airstream Life. I only wish the VAC was a stand alone organization.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
MAL member first - cause we could not find anyone to take our money from the home Unit -

They all Returned from south - so we transfered the membership to the Ontario Unit, once they realized they had members wanting to join

Did not fit the Unit -changed to MAL again

Could not vote - ticked off as we pay two separate memberships to retain two separate RED numbers for our specific year of the two vintage trailers we own - yep call us eccentric who cares.....

Wanted our rightly entitled vote so we joined the WDCU unit....

Now we are forced to play the by-law game with our membership so that we do not get soaked for two full memberships every year. We rotate our memberships so that they lapse per year - as the number can not be reassigned for two years - so until WBCCI establishes valued added service to its members then we shall exercise the rights within the Constitution. What would it take to have affiliate numbers with the same family name - not rocket science - they list multiple caravan numbers so no big deal in a directory.

Why are we still members - for the VERY expensive Red numbers and the history of the Airstream and NOTHING else these past 4 years. of which we have paid $140.00 2 years!!

We hope to participate in a few of the WDCU events this coming year. and will be running with number 1963 - next year we will be 1961 and will continue this way until the cows come home or we sell one of them and then we will have to start over again and pay the 140 for two numbers Has this club not heard of "Family" membership concept -just a family of Airstreams instead
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Deerfield Beach , Florida
I have sat on the side, occasionally visiting these forums. The thread that is going on here seems to be too usual in these on-line forums. They seem to be expressions of dissatifaction with organizations by individuals who are articulate ---so articulate that they fail to see that they are unhappy because they do not put forth any effort. (They eat the food but criticize the cooks). I think they would be much happier if they could bring themselves to participate and undertake the chores and pleasures of helping to run Units. The WBCCI is a club of people--not metal. Come into the kitchen--you may find you like it!!!!
max7157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Max7157:

I don't agree with your statement.

I have been a member of a unit for three years and have actively participated in the unit. The unit structure is not us for reasons I don't want to detail here. I don't want to get into WBCCI bashing.

I started this thread to see if there are benefits in being a MAL beyond participating in caravans to help me decide my future course of action; nothing more, nothing less.

2008 Classic 34